Emmett Blaze

It's hard to believe that a man with sight could be so blind

Emmett Blaze

Emmett and Isobel were studying together that afternoon. The library was soft, the silence broken only by the occasional ripple of a nearby murmur. The school year was only two weeks in, but already, work had piled up. Emmett squinted to make out the smaller words in his charms textbook - his close-up vision was horrid, but he'd lick the bottom of Atlas's shoe before he wore his glasses in front of Isobel.

Upon finishing the last sentence in his charms essay, he glanced up at her quickly, seizing the opportunity. His gaze lingered on her features, stomach flip-flopping. He cleared his throat.  "Isobel." He shifted awkwardly. "I, er,  actually got you something."

Isobel Blake

It had taken a while before Isobel could focus on anything other than Emmett. The way the afternoon sunlight spilled through the window and illuminated his profile as he scribbled on his parchment, accentuating the curve of his cheekbone, and the way he would squint at his textbook. Isobel found that a little odd, but wasn't sure she wanted to say something, when it might give away how much she had been staring at him. No matter how hard she tried, her eyes always drifted up to him, her heart thudding warmly in her chest.

At least she was finally managing to take in something about Ancient Runes, though she'd read the same paragraph three times. As Emmett cleared his throat, Isobel glanced up. "Yes?" She stared, that warmth spreading. "What do you mean?"

Emmett Blaze

His pride - a steady, unwavering force, strong enough to stop him from wearing his glasses - was also a curse, because the time he spent squinting at the words in his textbook took away from what he could spend stealing glances at Isobel. Alas.

"Oh, uh," he leaned down, pulling the books out of his satchel. He'd ordered them about a week ago, but hadn't yet found a time to present them. After she'd told him she was bisexual on the train, he wanted to make a gesture.. something both funny and affectionate, to show he cared.

He presented her with the two books. 12 Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Wizards and 12 Fail-Safe Ways to Charm Witches. "For you."

Isobel Blake

Isobel's lips parted in surprise. She looked down at the books, butterflies wreaking havoc in her stomach, and... giggled, holding a hand over her mouth to try and muffle the sound from echoing through the silent library. She shook her head, grinning, looking over at Emmett. "You are so stupid," she said, which meant, as always, I like you. Her cheeks flushed pink, and she rolled her eyes, trying to control her smile. "Emmett, I'm touched."

Even as a joke, her heart was radiant.

She opened one of the pages of Charm Wizards and studied it, eyebrows raising. "So here it says that to charm a wizard, I should make eye contact while I look for an excuse to touch him. Do you think that would work?" If it had been anyone else, Isobel would have flirted, would have done what she was talking about – placed her hand on Emmett's arm and smiled at him.

But she liked him, so she couldn't. 

Emmett Blaze

The sight of her giggling - trying not to - caused his heart to speed in his chest, his own smile to mirror hers. Sudden energy spilled through his body, and he found it difficult to sit still as his stomach jumped. 

Emmett arched a brow at the remark, trying not to too-vividly imagine her touching him. He twisted his expression into one of deep-thought. Throat dry, he managed, "Do you want to try it on me? As a friend, I can tell you, objectively, how it makes me feel.. or, you know what I mean.. how I think it'll translate if you, er, liked someone."

Emmett felt grateful for his skill in compartmentalizing, because he managed to say that with a straight face.

Isobel Blake

Isobel's heart pounded. She thought back to the train, when Emmett had asked if she'd dated anyone over the holiday, and how somehow, impossibly, he might... like her. She had since talked herself out of it, because nothing could be more ridiculous than Emmett having feelings for her, but... there it was again. That pulse of possibility, striking her veins and igniting them.

And she couldn't say no, because that would mean there was something to be afraid of.

"Okay," she said, faking a grin. Ba-bump. Ba-bump. Ba-bump. She thought to when she had touched him on their fake date, and he had dropped his coins. "What about this, Emmett?" She placed her hand on his wrist, ever so slightly under his robes, and leaned in, holding his gaze. She felt like she might explode, but she smiled teasingly at him. "Have I charmed you yet?"

Emmett Blaze

Emmett's wrist burned. His gaze remained steady on hers as her fingers touched him, and the electricity coursed through his veins, his body rigid. You're in control, he reminded himself feebly. 

"No. I don't think that's quite what it meant," he replied, his throat so dry he felt his tongue stick to the roof of his mouth. He unstuck it, and wondered if it was possible to rip his heart out of his chest to stop the obnoxious pounding. "A wrist-touch? Safe. It meant cheek, or leg, I'm sure." He abruptly drew back from her touch, holding his breath. "So if you like someone, try that, and it'll probably work. Anyway," he glanced back at his charms book, squinting. "I suppose we should keep studying?"

Isobel Blake

Isobel knew he was attracted to her. Or, she had thought he was, when they had been on their date – the way he had avoided looking at her, the jolt as she touched him. But he was looking at her now calmly, and she matched his gaze. With her hand on his wrist, it was as though flame had burned through her palm and into her heart, onto her cheeks. She wasn't blushing, but she felt engulfed. As he pulled away, she at once wanted more and was relieved.

"Touch someone's leg? That's not subtle at all," she said, grinning. "You may as well tell someone you want to snog at that point. But thank you, your input is valued and appreciated." Then, her expression softening, she added, "Seriously, thanks. I actually... I was maybe going to save this for your birthday, but I have something for you too." Cheeks growing pink again, it was Isobel's turn to lean over into her bag, presenting Emmett with – something wrapped. "For you."

Emmett Blaze

At the sight of her gift, Emmett's heart pounded again. He mechanically accepted, without the faintest clue what it'd be. All he could think was that Isobel had cared about him enough to get him something. He tried to stop his hands from shaking as he tore off the wrapper. 

The Deception Diary, he read. Catch snoops red-handed. Emmett stared at it for a long time, emotions twisting in his stomach. In that moment, it didn't matter to him that he'd regretted telling Isobel about his diary. Ever since his old diary was stolen, he'd been desperate for a replacement, even resorting to clumsy letters strewn haphazardly in the armor gallery. This diary was perfect: he could write freely, knowing he'd catch anyone who tried to snoop.

His gaze met Isobel's, stomach twisting, as he mumbled, "Thank you. It's just what I was looking for." 

Isobel Blake

Isobel didn't realize she would be so nervous. Her eyes were dark and careful as she studied Emmett, her hands folded in her lap and squeezed tight. She had meant to give him the diary as a half-joke, as something she could tease him over, but her sincerity had bled through. He had bragged to her about writing in his diary when they had been under the effects of magical mushrooms their first year, and when she had seen this in the shop, all she could think about was giving it to him. It was so perfectly Emmett, but... it was scary to bring up something that she oughtn't by rights know.

She wasn't sure if he would be mad at her, for showing off secrets she had stolen.

At his thank you, Isobel broke out into a brilliant smile, and her heart felt like it had melted and glowed. "Of course," she said. She meant to tease him – she was supposed to be teasing him – but instead she was completely caught up in how he was looking at her. "Perfect."

And so it was.

Fin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.