Anton Hunter

Seize the moment, no regrets

Anton Hunter

Seventh year was proving to be filled with mostly studying, patrols, chaos, gardening, with a pinch of dueling thrown in, and a dash of trying to keep an eye out for Ava Winchester. He didn't really know what to make of her actions, but with the multitude of schoolwork he had on his lap with ten NEWT exams to write at the end of the year, the boy was constantly with a book in hand. Any bit of studying he could do, he would do, no matter the time and place.

This instance was one of them, as he sat in the Great Hall that afternoon. In front of him were his Transfiguration textbook and notes, along with a bowl of fruit nearby for sustenance.

For the most part, the day was uneventful, even if Anton felt like his brains were about to dribble out of his ears from the monotony of the readings he was doing at the moment for the subject. It wasn't like Charms, he didn't have as much an aptitude for transfiguring things as he wished he did.

Still, he had to try.

And distracted as he was, he wasn't paying nearly enough attention to his surroundings.

Ava Winchester

Ava hadn’t noticed Anton initially because she’d been sitting with her favorite third year, @Daphne Wells, while the two chattered on about their plans for their new mentees. There was talk about a death challenge (Ava), a baking challenge (Daphne), writing letters (both) to elderly witches and wizards (Daphne) or muggle prisoners (Ava), but in the end they had come up with the greatest of all ideas and Ava was excited for the year ahead of them.

When Daphne had to go, Ava stayed in her seat to rewrite some of her notes and, well, actually eat. She’d been so busy with her fellow Gryffindor that she’d barely touched her food. Somehow it was still warm. Ava didn’t question it.

Ten minute passed before a noise across the hall prompted the Gryffindor to look up. A yelp, and a house prefect scolding before taking points. It wasn’t an unusual occurrence but still distracting nonetheless. Ava went to turn back to her notes and then she spotted him. He was immersed in a book which meant he wasn’t paying attention. All the better for her to catch him off guard.

Cutting her study session short, Ava shoved her things into her bag and transferred over to the Ravenclaw table. She dumped her bag in the seat next to him but leaned over his shoulder, golden curls obstructing his view on his right side, to get a look at what he was doing. When she saw it was Transfiguration she couldn’t help but grin before slapping her hand over his text to block the words.

“Pop quiz, gimme the incantation for the vanishing spell. Get it wrong and you’ll have to duel me before dinner.”

Alexander Crow

Normally, Alex spends his afternoon studying in the library. Unfortunately, that place is crowded with the influx of ickles trying to get a headstart on their education today. While he felt slightly impressed that the young ones are already taking schoolwork seriously, it did leave him without his usual study haunt. After a resigned sigh, he left looking for a new place to get his homework done. 

The common room is out of the question, given the hysterical parties that seem to be happening all the time. Alex needed earplugs to concentrate on studying, and he lost his last pair. The sidelines will be too distracting, for he'll be tempted to ditch his books and hop on a platform. It's rainy out so the grounds just won't do...

The Great Hall is a decent compromise. Alex walked over to the Ravenclaw table, hoping to grab a snack before starting. Did someone eat all the cookies? He really didn't want to double back to the kitchens to get some. The second year was about to do just that when he spotted Anton, hunched his schoolwork and a bowl of fruit. A snack his Mum would have approved. 

"Hi Anton!" He waved at the older Ravenclaw before spotting Ava, a Gryffindor he dueled not too long ago. While he's seen the former around, Alex doesn't recall ever spotting them together. "Ava hi!" He is still grateful that the girl didn't completely demolish him in their duel the other day. "I didn't know you guys know each other... oh are you his girlfriend?" He looked up at innocently at the two, figuring they must be. Older students seem to have no choice but to pair up. 

Anton Hunter

Why couldn't he get respite from Ava for even just ten minutes? 

"Ava, what are you-" Anton tried to say, but his vision was blocked on the right side by a bunch of blonde curls, her shampoo was assaulting his nose again, and... wait, she was quizzing him? Anton blinked, not really sure what to say about that. "Uh..." It wasn't the most graceful sentence uttered on the face of planet earth, but that was all his brain could conjure up while he attempted to refocus. "Of course you'd include dueling into this though," he replied with a sigh before he answered, "And it's Evanesco.

Still, he was pretty sure Ava would find another reason to force him to duel her after dinner. At this point, he was half tempted to just set a daily schedule of duels.

So, when Alex appeared, Anton was grateful that someone else was around to help distract him from Ava's actions. "Hey Alex!" Anton greeted the younger eagle before moving his hand to at least get Ava's curls out of his vision. Curls were nice and all - information that he probably shouldn't repeat again aloud - but he wanted both eyes to be able to make contact with Alex. 

After Alex dropped his next question though, Anton wished the curls completely covered his face, with the way his cheeks went red. 

WHAT GAVE HIM THAT IDEA?

"Uhhhh." And why did his brain have to fail him? 😭 He wanted to explain to Alex that this was all a huge misunderstanding, but he couldn't quite get his brain to get out of the shock of the question - probably a bad thing too, since it gave Ava a chance to answer in his place and Merlin could only imagine what she would come up with.

Ava Winchester

“Good,” Ava nodded approvingly at Anton’s correct answer when soon after Alex, a younger Ravenclaw she’d met just days before in the dueling chamber, appeared next to them. Anton seemed to know the boy which made sense considering they were house mates. Ava took notice of how Anton brushed her curls from his line of sight but said nothing of the exchange. She hadn’t been planning on doing anything aside from confirming they knew each other but then Alex gave Ava a golden ticket and she’d won herself a trip to the sweetest chocolate factory. She could work with this. She would work with this. Especially since Anton couldn’t find the words to deny it.

The Gryffindor forced herself to contain the smirk trying to fight its way through. If only @Kelly Ashcroft was here to watch her amazing performance. Maybe Ava needed to restore the Drama Club. She ran through several ways to react to the boy’s question before finally settling on one.

“I’m definitely Anton’s favorite secret,” Ava grinned, and reached over Anton to pinch Alex’s cheek. “Take 3 points to Ravenclaw for being cute and observant. Y’know,” Ava took the opportunity to reach for a piece of Anton’s fruit, plucking it from the bowl. “It feels good to admit that to someone, doesn’t it, babe?” Punctuating her sentence with a term of endearment made Ava realize that maybe she had been born to be evil to boys her age. There was no way it wasn’t her calling…she was too good at it for it to be a coincidence.

“Anton likes to deny it so much that I have to wonder sometimes. He won’t even duel me before dinner, can you believe it?” Ava pouted before taking a sad bite of her stolen fruit. “All I want to do is spend time with him and he acts like he has better things to do.” Merlin, Anton really was the worst boyfriend. Probably because he wasn’t hers but that was beside the point.

“Anyway, what brings you here? Did you want to sit with us?”

Edited by Ava Winchester

Alexander Crow

So they are together. That explains why Anton seems so keen on brushing his face against her hair.

Alex felt rather puzzled at why anyone would have a secret relationship. None of the other students in his common room attempt to hide. If anything, they are insistent on having the whole world know with their grand gestures of affection. Which is kinda gross, because he's twelve and didn't want cooties. How older students are immune to those things is beyond him. No matter, that is obviously something left for the grown-ups to worry about.

"Ooh points for me? Thanks! You're very nice." Alex fought to stop himself from rubbing his stinging cheek. He hasn't had anyone pinch it since grandma Crow last Christmas. At least Ava didn't plant a wet one on his face or ruffled his hair into messy tangles. 

Then Ava lamented on Anton's poor boyfriending that's totally a word skills. Alex couldn't help but feel sorry for the Gryffindor, she seems really sweet and has pretty hair that her boyfriend obviously likes. "Aw, maybe Anton is just planning on surprising you." He nodded sympathetically, completely unaware that he was walking into a trap, or leading the older Ravenclaw into one. "My Mum said if I have a girlfriend I should treat her like a Queen..." 

Which is why he spends a huge amount of time carrying @Pali Dotchev's book bag and fetching her snacks. 

"Oh, I was looking for cookies" Alex answered, eyeing Anton's fruit bowl. Not his snack of choice but desperate times. "... but may I sit here if there's room?" He should really scamper off and leave the love birds to themselves, but they didn't seem in a hurry to shoo him away. 

Anton Hunter

Oh my God, this wasn't happening.

I’m definitely Anton’s favorite secret

Merlin's beard, this was going from bad to worse. And neither could Anton's brain function enough to spew out denials. Even when Ava reached over, pinched Alex's cheek, and gave him points did the older Ravenclaw manage to say anything of even any remote use. He had to summon up the words to explain to Alex that this was a huge mistake. Ava was under no circumstances his girlfriend of all things. 

"Really, it's not what-" BABE!?

Huh, maybe that doesn't sound so bad to the ears... Anton resisted the urge to smack himself. No! Bad! She was playing tricks again, and Alex was going to believe that Anton and Ava were a thing when they weren't and here his brain was focused more on one specific word and the smell of her shampoo to rebuke it all. "But, you just said if I answered-" 

Oh my God they kept going and Anton couldn't get a word in again, leaving him at the mercy of Ava's words and...

ALEX WHY?

Anton almost put his head in his hands when Alex mentioned that he might have been planning a surprise. Anton already knew at this point that Ava would probably take that with a running leap into the abyss without even a moment's hesitation and the boy was left sinking without any flotation device. And the more the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw spoke, the more Anton wanted to curl up and hide under the table.

BUT WAIT, THERE WAS MORE.

"I..." He didn't want to act like a jerk in front of Alex, wanting to set a good example to the younger boy, but neither could Anton just say that he and Ava were dating and that he should woo her, wine and dine, and all of that. "I mean yeah, Ava should be treated like a queen but-" Ahhhh, Anton immediately regretted starting that sentence. "But it's not what you think. We aren't..." 

Ugh, no, this was just going to feed Ava's lamenting that he was a bad boyfriend - which made sense because he wasn't her boyfriend - but that was besides the point! 

"Sure, there's room." Anton gave up on that part, and submitted himself to his fate. If he played along, then that would lead to awkwardness he was sure, but if he didn't he'd just keep getting needled. "We were discussing Transfiguration is all... and apparently dueling before dinner." Yep. He might as well give into that too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.