Jacquetta Rosewood

Portrait Passageways

Jacquetta Rosewood

Jacquetta was trying to find another secret passageway. She and Willa had already found one but she was determined to figure out all of Hogwarts' secrets. She stood in a corridor, staring at a portrait. She was 99.9% sure that there was a passageway behind it. "Is there a passageway behind you?" she asked the portrait and got no response. "You're just trying to keep me from it, aren't you?" She narrowed her eyes.

Avery Potter

There were many things Avery wished she received from her family. She wished she had received red hair, instead of her boring brown. She wished she had received coordination on a broomstick. She also wished she had received the very important and hardly secret map. It was kept away from those who were now at school, which meant she had no choice but to look for the secrets of Hogwarts in her spare time. 

Or when she was meant to be completing potions homework. 

"You should pay the picture a compliment." Avery said, as she slowly approached. "They are much nicer when you are kind."

Jacquetta Rosewood

Jacquetta turned when someone spoke and she saw that older Hufflepuff girl she had dueled once. She thought her name was Avery but she couldn't be sure as her memory often failed her. "Good point," she said and looked back at the portrait. "You have a lovely cloak," she said. The man in the portrait shook his head and left the frame. "Well that didn't work," she said. "Any other suggestions?"

Avery Potter

Avery frowned as the man walked away from the portrait he was within. Why hadn't he responded? Surely it was the nice thing to do when someone paid a compliment about your dress sense?

"Maybe he doesn't understand us..." She said quietly, as she chewed on her lip. "Maybe we can follow him? He must be in another frame!"

Her eyes darted around to look. 

Jacquetta Rosewood

Maybe the girl was right! The man in the portrait could be giving them a clue! Jacquetta started off in the direction he had gone in. "He's over here!" she yelled back and continued to trail him. "I wonder where he's going..." She tried to think of what was up ahead but couldn't remember. The castle was very confusing.

Avery Potter

"Maybe he is showing us a actual passage way?" Avery questioned. "Maybe they can't tell us but can show us?"

It would make sense to the third year. They could get into trouble - have their portraits removed - if they broke the rules. If they showed them, who would have guessed?

"We could start poking our wands at the edges and see if it opens anything up!"

Jacquetta Rosewood

"Are you should? Would that be dangerous? Is there another way to know?" she asked Avery. "In my castle back home you can kind of just... tell that there's a secret passageway behind portraits if you look enough. Like there are clues and stuff?" Was she making any sense? If Willa was there, the Slytherin girl would have understood what she meant. Maybe this girl would too.

Avery Potter

"You... you have a castle?" Avery replied, her dreams coming true that people still lived in them. "That's amazing! I wish I grew up in a castle..." she let out a wishful sigh. "I think it will be safe. Maybe we can have a look for cracks first? If the portraits act strangely then we know that we are getting close to something we shouldn't."

If they run out of the frames screaming for the headmistress, Avery knew they would be on the right track. 

Jacquetta Rosewood

She had let slip that she lived in a castle. That was a failure on her part. It wasn't that she was hiding that she was a princess. It was that she wasn't offering up the information. But Avery seemed to think it was cool. "I do. It's old and stuff but it's nice. Hogwarts reminds me of it a lot... but Hogwarts is much bigger! I keep getting lost!" She kept looking at the painting and thought about how she had gotten lost in her home castle when she was a little girl. Castles were just confusing. "I think there might be something behind here... the shadows are weird."

Wren The Heckler

“Sir Google only answers you if you ask him something,” Wren told the girls. “He thinks he knows everything.” She laughed at the idea. 

“What are you two looking for?” She asked,    peering down at the two of them. Whenever she saw students talking to the portraits, it was of great interest to her. They were much more fun than other paintings were.

Avery Potter

She was about to reply to Jacqetta's comment about the castle, when she heard a voice from near the left of her. Avery turned suddenly, wand out, and then brought it down when she realised it had not been a professor. 

"Oh, hello there." Avery said with a small smile. "My friend and I are exploring. We know there are a few secrets in this corridor. Are you allowed to help us?"

Jacquetta Rosewood

A portrait was speaking to them! That had to be a good sign. And Avery had called her her friend. She'd made a new friend! This was great! "Yes, can you help us? We're looking for secret passageways... is one behind this portrait?" She really thought she was close but maybe it was all tricks. She knew the castle had some since many first years had gotten stuck in the trick step on the grand staircase.

Wren The Heckler

“Allowed?” Wren asked, tapping her chin thoughtfully. “Well, I would say I’m allowed to do whatever I want. If you were stuck here for an eternity you’d want to do whatever you wanted, right?”

She let out a laugh when one of the girls asked if there was a secret passageway behind the portrait. “Anne Boleyn is usually here, but she’s out right now. She’s always screaming OFF WITH HER HEAD whenever I come by. It’s always good for a laugh so I haven’t gotten ‘round to asking if she’s hiding anything important.”

Edited by Wren The Heckler

Avery Potter

Avery was torn between trying to share a 'is this portrait crazy' look with her first year companion, or whether she needed to truly listen to what was being said. Could it be some sort of riddle or clue for them? 

"Certainly!" Avery replied, wondering how long it would be until she got bored. "You must have seen a lot of things being in there for so long." How did they even become portraits? Were they cursed? "Does... does her painting even have a head?"

Jacquetta Rosewood

Jacquetta didn't know what to think. Was the portrait crazy? Speaking in riddles? Did portraits have another way of speaking here at Hogwarts? She didn't know of any portraits like this one back home. "Anne Boleyn is an interesting historical figure," Jacquetta commented. "I had to read a lot about her at home." She probably shouldn't have said that. But part of being a princess was learning about royalty and what to do and what NOT to do. "Is there a passageway behind you?"

Wren The Heckler

“Four hundred years,” Wren replied. “Give or take.” She had a lot of time on her hands as a result.

”Of course it has a head!” She laughed. “And she’s not very interesting, she’s barking mad. A right dalcop if you ask me. Never happy to see anyone. Always screaming.”

”A passageway?” Her eyes lit up. “Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe if you say the magic word, I’ll tell you.”

Avery Potter

Maybe? 

Avery would take that as a good chance. She knew that the image could be lying, but she didn’t want to think about that. Turning to her companion, she wondered whether they could figure this out together. 

“What do you think the magic word is? “ 

Jacquetta Rosewood

The portrait was claiming Anne Boleyn was crazy but this portrait also seemed crazy. Either they were both crazy or this one was crazy and was trying to convince them that they were sane by saying another portrait was crazy. It was a conundrum. Anyway, Jacquetta turned to Avery and said, "Please?" She had always been taught that please was the magic word so maybe it would work for this. Or maybe her parents had just wanted to instill manners into her.

Avery Potter

“Maybe its a spell?” Avery said, as she wondered if it were just as simple as please. “Or a phrase.”

Why did pictures have to be so confusing? She was certain that if she ever became a portrait, she would try to help everyone on their explorations. Maybe she could just write to her family and beg fo help instead. 

Wren The Heckler

While the girls deliberated, Wren cackled with glee. “I’m waiting,” she said in a sing-song voice.

Jacquetta Rosewood

"It could be a spell. But I'd say it's more likely a word," she replied. "There are more words than spells, right? So that means it would be harder to discover the word." At least that's what she thought. Avery would probably know more about it since she was older and had been at the school longer. "Maybe we should just try 'please' and see what happens." It would be amusing if it worked.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.