Dorjee Shire Sherpa

So much to say, but I didn't know how

Dorjee Shire Sherpa

For about the millionth time since Dorjee had decided to do this once and for all, the Gryffindor flipped through the stack of parchment in his hands. Two weeks had passed at school since the new year had begun and it was beyond time to give Alyssa the explanation he had owed her for over a year. With his stutter gone and his confidence on the rise, the Sherpa boy finally felt ready to offer up the truth.

He'd sent a note along to Hufflepuff to let Alyssa know to meet him on the lawns after dinner and had convinced the House Elves to make him some chocolate covered strawberries to take outside. Hopefully she didn't hate him. Hopefully she didn't yell at him for being a bit of an idiot, which he'd readily acknowledge he kind of had been. Too afraid to even speak for fear he'd be mocked for stuttering, hoping to grow out of it and desperate to learn how to speak English better, Dorjee had spent much of his third year trying to do all of that. He wanted to be someone his family could be proud of, if nothing else, and that meant no more hiding.

At the very least, no more hiding from Alyssa.

Fall leaves swirled around him as he stood on the lawn and waited, a gentle breeze toying with his Gryffindor robes. Please come down to the lawn after dinner, Alyssa. I want to explain myself. I owe you that much.

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa had just about given up on anything ever happening with Dorjee toward the end of the school year, last year. Ever since he’d ask her to the Yule Ball, she’d fancied him, but after a while, she began to think that maybe she’d done something to push him away. Had she been too bold when she sent him that Valentine? Maybe she was just a very boring person to hang out with. She did tend to drone on about her family, and though she was a lot better now, but she used to complain about Clarissa a lot too.

So it was a bit of surprise when she received a letter from him. For a moment, she wasn’t sure what to think as she read through the letter twice. He wanted to explain himself? Did that mean he knew that she was wondering why they hadn’t had too much interaction?

Though she thought she’d moved on from him, she realized she wasn’t as she began to feel excited. She was sure that whatever explanation he had, must have been a good one. He seemed too nice just to blow someone off after all.

So she made her way out to the lawn, the leaves crackling under her feet in a satisfying way. When she reached him, she gave him a shy smile and said: “Dorjee? Hi.”

Dorjee Shire Sherpa

She came and Dorjee drew in a sharp breath as she smiled so sweetly at him. Alyssa truly was beautiful. He grinned widely at the girl, his heart fluttering a bit when she said his name. Suddenly, he was calmer than he had been in a while. Holding out the letters, Dorjee took a step toward her to close the rest of the gap between them. Yes, he really, really liked Alyssa and it was time for her to know. "Alyssa. I- uhh I wrote these to you in summer. Some are not English. I can say you what they mean."

That didn't sound quite right. Oh well. Surely she'd forgive him for his awkward English skills.

The letters explained it all. How for a while he'd also liked Hazel. How he didn't feel Alyssa deserved to be one of two crushes and he regretted his own inaction. How hard it was for him to learn she was rich when he and his family were struggling to make it and pay back the debt they took on to move from Nepal and how scared he was that she'd judge him for it. 

And, in the last letter, how he'd realized Hazel wanted Julian and he respected that. He was ready to focus now on Alyssa, if she was willing and interested herself.

Dorjee waited patiently, both hoping for and dreading Alyssa's eventual response.

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa stared at Dorjee with shock. For the past year, she’d thought he wasn’t interested after all, but that seemed to be wrong. If he wasn’t interested, he wouldn’t have spent the summer writing her letters. She felt her smile grow even wider. She’d never been good at hiding her emotions. She knew that if she ever learned to play poker, she would likely give herself away.

“Um sure,” she said quickly. “I’d love to read them. I look forward to seeing what you wrote.”

She thought it was actually really romantic. When her parents were in school, she knew her mother had written many unsent letters to her father as well. She thought it was rather neat that the same thing was now happening to her. She’d never imagined that someday, she might tell people the same story.

Dorjee Shire Sherpa

She was smiling.

SHE WAS SMILING!!

The butterflies wooshed into Dorjee's stomach in full force because he knew from that smile what his next move needed to be, once she had read what he wrote. Handing over the letters and hoping his handwriting was at least somewhat comprehensible, Dorjee started to dig through his satchel as she read. The charm to keep the chocolate covered strawberries cold had held and the tulips he'd bought in Hogsmeade were good, as well. Spreading his cloak out, Dorjee took a seat on the ground and put the tulips and the strawberries out for the Hufflepuff.

"I- I want to take you out to Hogsmeade next time we go. I think you're beautiful, Alyssa."

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa began reading through some of the letters, but as he said, they weren’t all in English, so she figured she’d wait a little bit, and then they could read through them better. She watched as Dorjee took out some tulips, and what looked like some chocolate covered strawberries. She felt guilty because she hadn’t thought to bring anything out to him. She figured she’d make it up to him later if today went well.

She was about to join him on the cloak so he could help her read through the letters, but before she could, he asked her if she could go to Hogsmeade with him. She felt her eyes widen, she hadn’t expected this at all.

Two years ago, she’d been convinced that she was one of the ugliest girls in Hogwarts because of Clarissa. Thanks to her friends, siblings, and her parents, she’d finally realized that wasn’t true at all. In fact, it was because of Dorjee that she’d realized that she wasn’t bad looking at all. He’d wanted to take her to the Yule Ball after all, and he’d told her she was pretty.

She was aware that he was waiting for an answer, so she quickly sat down with him and grinned at him.

“Yes, I’d love to go to Hogsmeade with you!” She said excitedly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.