Rían O' Donnell

Sun is shinin' in the sky, there aint a cloud in sight

Rían O' Donnell

Rían hadn't been long back at Hogwarts, mere days had passed since September First. They hadn't a pile of Homework, and yet he had still been lying low in the library. He didn't feel like duelling. He'd gone off that a little. Even though he had been trying to learn a bit more over the summer, admittedly he had struggled. Every time he opened a book he felt unable to concentrate, his mind wandering to futile twaddle. Totally pointless things circled his mind. 

Nothing of use anyway. 

People from school. How he'd probably be alone when he got back to school. 

And here he was. 

Alone in the library. Clutching a bottomless mug of warm sugary tea, Rían exhaled, letting out a low exasperated sigh as his eyes drifted across the pile of books stacked in front of him. He still wasn't really happy with them. Pushing back the chair it screeched breaking the silence in the near empty library. Most people hadn't even thought of coming here yet. Rian knew though as the weeks passed and students began to panic, much to his annoyance the place would fill up. Grunting he stretched up to his full height, slowly pushing the chair back under the table.  He had taken another stretch over the summer and was now even more self conscious. It felt like he'd never stop growing. He hated it.

Although it did mean once again he was matched with @Jaxon Sinclair's height, but that's where the similarities ended. The pair were built different. Where Jack was long and lean, lanky really. Rían was built more solidly. He filled out his frame a little better. These days maybe a little too well. Something else he was becoming more self conscious about. He was careful over the summer. His Mam called him a growing boy and piling more food on his plate. His Da barely glanced his way, only glancing at him with small looks of disgust and making comments that he'd soon be eaten out of house and home. With the thought of that is cheeks flushed. Again he sighed, glad the library was empty and he had the comfort of empty shelves.  Lazily his reached his hand up to run his fingers over the spine of the books, but it went higher. Instead reaching to his cheeks and barely there jawline. His face was softer, more round thank Jack's was. There was less defined edges, fuller lips. Maybe that was why girls seemed to like Jack and not him. Well @Adrina Althaus-Valerio did anyway. Not that Rían liked Addy. Not in that way anyway. Rían didn't like any girls like that. Or lads. At least he didn't think so. 

As he dropped his hand again he furrowed his brow. It was probably for the best he didn't like anyone like that. Nobody would like him back anyway. He was sure of that. With his big lolloping frame and less than friendly demeanour he wasn't exactly a catch, despite what his Mam said. Now his softer attitude was changing, he was getting annoyed with himself. Rubbing his large hand over his eyes he told himself to cop on. Hotly he reached for a book eventually, grabbing a few off the shelf at once. Turning sharply he almost didn't see the much smaller frame that had been standing behind him, watching him. "Christ on a bike!" Stopping himself, one hand flew up to his chest with the shock of it, the other arm firmly grasped on his books. "I didn't see you there.." 

Edited by Rían O' Donnell

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

Classes had started again, the chamber was open and Addy was in a brilliant mood.  

All she needed was a friend to claim an open platform with and she would have been over the moon, unfortunately she was being far too picky over which friend she found first.  So she was going hunting.  Perhaps she should have checked the dueling chamber first and this would have all been a much simpler search but she didn't.  Instead, Adrina went to her second choice, the place she actually didn't like but thought she might have better luck.  

At least this time, as she entered the library she wasn't insistent on carrying a fairy tale book under her arm.  Mostly what greeted her inside the musty space was empty tables with some untended cups of tea and open books and a few overachieving students already hard at work on homework assignments they probably had ages of time to work on.  Adrina ignored them all and headed into the rows of books, tutting under her breath.  She would have called them nerds if she wasn't looking for someone just like them.  The potential that Jack was already in here too working on one of their own assignments that wasn't at all urgent was too great.  She however, would put it off until a few days before and then hope it somehow came out acceptable.  

Bouncing in between the rows of books she peeked around corners and kept coming up empty.  Heavy, disappointed sighs followed each turn, until she spied someone who could help.  Reaching up to a high shelf was Rían and finally a smile graced the thirteen year old's features.  A few steps took her down the aisle and she stopped behind him, waiting for him to turn around.  

She giggled when she realized she had startled him and raised the back of her hand to cover her mouth.  "I'm sorry, I thought you might have heard me come up.  Whatcha' doin?"  She asked, not wanting to simply flat out ask him if he knew where Jack was right away.  

Rían O' Donnell

Rían's rigid state eased just slightly as he stared down Addy, letting his hand drop to his side and exhaling slowly. "You scared the life out of me" With a second sigh his large shoulders finally relaxed. 

Now he just felt awkward. Raising his free hand up behind his head he rubbed at the back of his neck. He wasn't really sure why Addy was here, talking to him. And still he continued to stare. Not entirely sure what to say. Or still why she was speaking to him. 

Oh wait, she was asking him a question. Slowly his dopey face came to life. "Huh?" Raising a delayed eyebrow he eventually shrugged, looking around for an answer. When one didn't come he just slowly raised his massive shoulders again "Nothing I guess.." Rían was never a man who was full of chat. Often struggling in social situations, saying the wrong thing, or saying nothing at all.

And then he realised he had been staring and quickly ducked his eyes away from her, cursing himself as he cheeks pinked just slightly. 

Adrina Althaus-Valerio

To say that Rían wasn't the talkative type would have been an understatement, but Adrina was used to that sort.  She was spending most of her time around Jaxon and he seemed quite content more than not to allow her to babble on about whatever struck her fancy.  Making conversation came easy to the third year and she wasn't going to accept the ravenclaw's first answer at face value.  

"Oh that's a lie." She declared, eyeing the books he had.  "Are you studying something?  Or picking out something to read?" She peppered questions his way and leaned back on her heels, barely even noticing where his eyes had flickered or the flush that filled his cheeks.  "I don't often read a lot of books myself unless we have to but sometimes I look at some of the dueling books to learn new spells."  

Really, it was Jack who looked at the dueling books and told her what she should be doing but she considered that irrelevant when she was stuck sitting their with him and hunched over the diagrams of wand movements and pronunciation guides too.  "My roommate Panda, have you met her?" She paused and waited for an answer... "She has a lot of fairy tales books in our dorm and I keep meaning to read some of them but I dunno... what do you think?" 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.