Sabine Frost

There’s only one place we're going to get all this...

Sabine Frost

Sabine’s parents had decided that, by way of a holiday, they would spend a few days in London. So, they’d taken a couple of rooms at the Leaky Cauldron, behind which lay the magical entrance to Diagon Alley. Sabine was sharing a room with her younger sister and was coming to terms with how her usually effervescent and loving younger sibling was being somewhat cool with her. Her parents had put it down to readjustment, following her absence at Hogwarts, but Sabine couldn’t help thinking there was more to it than that.

She spent her first day with Elewyn, choosing a broom, which left her a couple more days to pick up everything she needed for her second year, plus time to simply browse and take in the sights on offer (and buy a few more books than prescribed if she was being entirely honest).

So, Sabine said goodbye to her parents after breakfast, as they intended to take in a few of the sights of London, and headed out onto the long cobbled street that was Diagon Alley. She wore her usual blue hoodie and jeans as she took in the sights - she still wasn't entirely accustomed to not wearing robes, but she was getting used to it.

She marvelled at the brightly coloured umbrellas outside cafes, ogled the various contraptions (she had no idea what they did) through shop windows and wondered how soon before she would bump into someone she recognised.

Alexander Crow

The first week of summer was pleasant for Alex, who started it on a high note since he brought home a shiny gold trophy from the dueling tournament to show his parents, (look Mum! I'm not a loser!) while Penny rolled her eyes and muttered "loser". He was also treated to his favorite chocolate cake as Mum promised, and it tasted just as delicious as he remembered, maybe even better since he hasn't had it in awhile. He had a room all to himself again instead of sharing with a bunch of other boys, and his stuffed animals seemed to have all gotten along while he was gone. 

The soon to be second year had almost forgotten about the dreaded camping trip his Dad was making him go on, until it was brought up over breakfast one day. Alex had choked on his mouthful of scrambled eggs which made Mum implore him to have better table manners along with the lamentations on how she couldn't be around to make sure he does exactly that in school. 

Thankfully, the owl containing next year's school supply list came swooping in and Alex found himself a perfect distraction before getting dragged off to the camping trip of doom. A few hours later, he was walking in Diagon Alley with his parents, eager to get all the assigned books and crack them open for some advanced reading. He managed to get away from them for a few minutes,  wondering whether any of his classmates are here. Maybe people he dueled with, not that he can get any of that done right now. It wouldn't hurt to run into someone for old time's sake.

Thud!

Though he didn't expect it to happen literally "Ow! Sorry." Alex rubbed his right shoulder, which happened to collide with something, or someone. He looked up and his grimace turned into a shy smile as he realized it was Sabine, a classmate and fellow ravenclaw. "Oh hi! Did you uh, get your school supplies yet?" He wouldn't be surprised if the girl started reading their textbooks already. He has witnessed her studying abilities after all. 

Sabine Frost

Sabine saw Alex and waved. Except he didn’t seem to be looking in her direction. She continued to walk…and wave…and walk…and wave. Her quidditch instincts should have kicked in when he was so close he could easily have bumped into her. For that’s exactly what happened.

“Oh,” she said. “Um,” she added. Last year, Sabine would have scolded anyone for bumping into her. Maybe next year, she might be socially aware enough to shrug it off and put the other person at ease. But this was the twelve-year-old version of the young witch. She smiled as he apologised, but said nothing.

Fortunately, she was distracted by the subject of school supplies and she was able to respond – and maybe Alex wouldn’t notice her lack of a magnanimous response.

“Yes…and no. Which means no I guess. I bought a new broom, but that took a whole day, so today is my time for new things. Like new robes – it seems I’ve grown quite a bit in a year. And some replacement essential, like potions ingredients. I already have my second-year books, but I’ll be buying the third-year set today – I like to keep a little ahead of the syllabus if I can.”

“So…have you bought anything yet?”

Alexander Crow

Brooms weren't Alex's transport of choice, but he understood the allure. Flying seems to be every student's dream and Quidditch is such a popular sport in school, it was was rare to see the pitch empty. Too bad it took about five minutes into flying lessons to realize he neither had talent nor fondness for it. Thankfully, he discovered his affinity for dueling and the rest is history. "How nice! Which one did you get?" He wasn't well versed with broom models, but for the sake of small talk.

"I needed new robes too! Took awhile for the fitting but we finally got them." There was something about standing still that made him skittish. Alex hoped the shop assistant doing the measurements wasn't too annoyed with his fidgeting. He certainly wasn't looking forward to doing it all over again next year, isn't there a magical way to figure out statistics in the comfort of his home?

As for his books, Alex ran off to sight see before getting the chance to procure them. Sabine's interest in getting her textbook a year in advance is unsurprising. He is rather studious himself, but the ravenclaw girl took dedication to a whole new level.

He did watch happily as his potion's kit was replenished. Despite the mishaps that occurred in class, Alex is eager to learn more about the subject. Here's to hoping his cauldron wouldn't explode again. "I think Mum and Dad are getting my books. I excused myself to get ice cream. Would you like some ice cream?" 

It would be perfect for the summer weather. Who wouldn't say yes to ice cream anyway?

Edited by Alexander Crow

Sabine Frost

“A Yajirushi,” replied Sabine, in a voice that suggested this was all she needed to say on the matter. She was, however acutely aware of Alex’s disinterest in flying and suspected if he was even interested in different makes of broom, let alone knowledgeable. It had been part of her maturing over the past twelve months. She now accepted that not everyone knew what she knew, and furthermore, not everyone shared the same interests as her. Why this was the case, she was still a little hazy about – but she grasped the concept. “A Japanese professional quidditch broom. Second-hand officially, but seems to have never been ridden before. So, a real bargain.”

But even Sabine’s new level of understanding took a dent at Alex’s next words. “You…let…your…parents…buy…your…books…for…you? Really? Honestly? Really? Really?” Her mouth remained open and moved as if saying words, but no sound came out.

“Really? Had you done something wrong? Is this a punishment?” She shook her head. “You can tell me all about it over an ice-cream. OK?” Her head was still shaking slightly. “I think I’ll need a large one.”

Alexander Crow

A what?

Alex blinked, the unfamiliarity apparent in his features. Times like this makes the ravenclaw wish he had shown a bit more interest in Quidditch. Unfortunately, his tendency towards motion sickness makes him incompatible with the sport. He wouldn't mind watching a game though, if there are plenty of snacks. Thankfully, Sabine filled him in on the details of her new broom.

"How cool! Are you planning on trying out for the ravenclaw quidditch team?" A lot of his classmates seem to have an interest in playing for the house team. The other half that didn't care for dueling. There were a handful of students who showed affinity for both, quite a lucky feat. Must be nice to have talent for the top two main activities (and means to earn big house points) in school. 

Well, that escalated. Alex hadn't expected that reaction from his words and was mildly amused at Sabine's display of shock. "Umm no... I'm not in trouble... not yet at least..." The thought of being deemed unfit to do camping duties suddenly made a pit form in his stomach. "Yeah, I'll go for a large too..." Maybe a double chocolate fudge with extra sprinkles to soothe this nerves.

Fortunately, the walk to the ice cream parlor wasn't a very long one. Alex ordered his large cone with extra sprinkles, mouth watering at the sight of the delicious treat. "What would you like?" He turned to Sabine. "I can get this one, Mum gave me pocket money for helping her with the rosebushes."

Sabine Frost

Sabine nodded vigorously. “Yes. I was lucky enough to be asked to compete in the recent game and I absolutely loved it. Given it was a trial, the snitch was never caught, which being a seeker was a bit of an anti-climax.” Sabine paused and her eyes narrowed slightly. “That was more information than you wanted, wasn’t it?” She lacked social skills, but she was logical and could work things out if given enough data.

Sabine’s face relaxed at the news that Alex wasn’t in trouble. “For me, not being able to buy my books would be the greatest punishment my parents could hand out. So, I naturally assumed this was the case for you.” She still looked a little sceptical. “Although if you’re not in trouble, I don’t know why you wouldn’t insist on going with them?”

She shrugged and focused her mind on the impending ice-cream. It was a place she’d frequented almost as often as the book-store last summer.

She looked at the shop as she approached it. “You know what? I always look at the menu, even though I’ve memorised it. And I always choose the same ice-cream. I’m sure I’d love a different flavour, but what if I don’t?”

She smiled at Alex.

“And thanks for paying. Next time will be my treat. Given I never spend my pocket money – except on books – it tends to mount up.”