Mira Skydel

VH39 Lucky boat #7

Mira Skydel

Mira sat silently as she watched the other girl walk towards her boat, clearly they both had the same idea of trying to avoid the crowds of people. "How did she do that?" Mira thought to herself as she watched the girl climb into the boat without any difficulty. "Please tell me she didn't see me fall over" she hoped. The girl's comments soon put an end to those thoughts. "Oh no I'm fine" she said with her best forced smile, the glow of embarrassment touching her cheeks.

Mira looked strangely at the girl who seemed to be shaking in her robes. "Are you cold?" she asked, she thought it was strange given the warmth still touching the air. Mira then wiped her hand on her somewhat dirty and threadbare robes before offering out her hand "I'm Mira by the way" she said perhaps a little too nervously, the thought of her being the one to introduce herself first scared her slightly. "You know, you got into the boat pretty well" she said, an abysmal attempt at small talk. "That was a stupid thing to say" she thought to herself.

Annag Hamblton

Annag hadn't realized others could see her shaking which just increased her embarrassment and fright, but there was no sense hiding it now. The girl in the boat seemed to be nice not to mention the fact that somehow she had managed to get her family to allow her to wear her robes just as Annag wished her mother would let her wear hers. She came from a frugal, low-to-middling, farming family (her dad being particularly frugal) where every scrap of fabric was used until the tiny pieces left were sewn into a quilt. She was proud of her family's ability to do this. However her mother, who hailed from London, was not such a strict adherent to her husband's philosophy.

Though this had worked in her favor when it came to not inheriting her grandmother's wand, it became more problematic when it came to robes. "Oh, Otho!" mother exclaimed. "I can't have a daughter of ours arriving at Hogwarts wearing such robes!" Annag looked into the mirror wearing her mother's old school robes and thought they looked quite beautiful and well-loved. "We are just going to have to dig into the budget and find a way to get her new ones." Period.

And there she was quaking in the boat wearing her new robes. "Nae, I'm not cold. Just a wee bit nervish that's all. Glad you're OK" She smiled a quirky, shaky smile and tried to make a laughing sound. The girl wiped her hand on her robes and extended her hand "I'm Mira by the way." Thank the heavens! Annag was so relieved that the girl continued to speak since she was horrible at conversation. Annag quickly thrust out her hand and said, "I'm Annag. Nice to meet you." Now the smile was less of a seizure and more of a smile.

"You know, you got into the boat pretty well" Mira said.

"Aye, got lots of practice. Nae to worry though, I've taken my fair share of tumbles. Some where the boat and I BOTH took a lagger."  Annag glanced around the boat for the first time and became uncertain whether the passengers might not get wet and muddy this time as well. 

Peeking over the side of the boat at the inky blackness, she realized in the most self-conscious, heart-pounding way possible that it was probably her turn to keep up the conversation so she turned to one of her favorite subjects – animals. "I do hope that the Giant Squid takes time to welcome us on the trip over. It would be scary 'cause he's so big, but I bet he's just a gentle giant." "Oh dear. What if Mira didn't like animals? What if Mira was afraid of giant squids? Wow, I sound totally stupid. What kind of a statement was that? Why can't I be better at this? I'm beginning to hate school already. I think I might cry." 

Mira Skydel

Mira gave the girl a bit of a strange look, her confusion clearly visable in her expression. Was this more of that magic talk she didn't understand, "What the hell is a lagger?" she thought to herself. Being a muggle-born, her experience with the magical world was lacking to say the least. She'd nearly tackled the trolley lady from the Hogwarts express after she found out the "Chocolate frog"  she had been sold sprung to life. It was only after someone explained that that was supposed to happen had she decided not to chase after the older lady. Mira was about to take hold of the oars when she heard Annag utter the words "Giant Squid". 

"Giant Squid!" Mira shouted as she sprung to her feet, pulling her wand from her sleeve and pointing it at the water. She didn't exactly know what she would do if this beast appeared, or even how to use her wand properly for that matter. But she found some form of comfort at finding it in her grip. As Mira leapt to her feet the boat teetered from side to side and she nearly toppled over again, only barely managing to maintain her balance this time as she quickly pointed her wand from one side of the boat to the other. Mira didn't exactly have a fear of animals, but she had seen one too many pirate movies growing up. "Is it a Kraken? Krakens aren't real! Are they?" she said in a panic as she cast her eyes out of the inky black waters. The nervousness of the situation causing her to speak out loud rather than internalise her thoughts. 

Annag Hamblton

Annag jumped and her eyes shot open wide. Mira had leaped to her feet waving her wand and was shouting about the Giant Squid (well that answered the question about being frightened.)

"Crivvens, lassie! What ever be ye doin'!? Nae point that wand, it may go off!" When surprised, scared, or excited, Annag's speech invariably slipped back to her Scottish roots. Though she grew up in Lanarkshire, Scotland her mum was from London and was always trying to train her to speak in a more posh manner.

Realizing she needed to diffuse the situation before both of them took that aforementioned lagger by toppling off the side of the boat, Annag quieted herself and reached out to touch the girl's arm in hopes of calming her a bit and get her to sit back down.

"There, there lassie. Nothing to be afraid of." she cooed. "Herald is a most pleasant squid. Me mum called him Herald when she was here at Hogwarts. On sunny days, she would go to the shore of the Black Lake and call to him and Herald would flop a giant tentacle or two up onto the beach. Mum would then spend an hour or so talking about the day's affairs and giving him a good scratch. Magical giant squids are a sensitive lot. If they know you mean no harm, then they are pleasant as folk. If you're a rotter, then I can't speak to their actions. But he knows we mean no harm. He's so used to these boat trips over the past 100 years or so, that he probably sleeps right through them." Annag looked directly into Mira's eyes and smiled. "Now put that wand away. Those things can sometimes fire off without warning and we wouldn't want any injuries before we are even sorted do we?"

She suddenly realized that Mira must be a muggle born and all of this was surely overwhelming. "Perhaps we can go down to the lake together some time soon and see if we can give Herald a good scratch. I think it would be fun and I'm sure he misses it. Don't to worry now. We can figure out all of this new stuff together." Annag smiled a giant smile. Reaching into the pocket of her robe she produced a box of Bertie Botts Beans that she had gotten on the train. "Bean?" she asked as she stretched her arm towards the girl while trying to act as nonchalant as possible. 

Edited by Annag Hamblton

Mira Skydel

Mira's eyes narrowed as she looked towards the girl, a clear suspicion in her eyes. "Why was she being so nice?" she thought to herself. Mira would be lying if she said she wasn't having trouble understanding what Annag was saying, the thickness of her accent was slightly confusing to Mira. "Your Mum was friends with a giant squid?" she said with a slight confusion. It was clear that Annag's words were slowly getting through to her as Mira slowly lowered her wand, letting out a long sigh as she did so. "Not like I know how to use this thing anyway" she said quietly as she twirled it between her fingers before sliding it back up her sleeve.  Mira cautiously lowered herself back onto the small wooden seat before peering into the water again. No matter what Annag said, the thought of some giant creature lurking beneath the surface would still cause her a degree of discomfort. 

Mira could feel herself starting to calm down, "Umm.... sorry for scaring you" she said as she awkwardly scratched the back of her head, her fingers getting caught in the mess that was her hair for a second. "I still haven't learned the whole, wand etiquette thing" she said with a small smile. 

The idea of spending some time getting to know a Giant Squid who could eat her whole was not Mira's idea of fun. But still, Mira didn't want to seem rude, she didn't want to make any enemies on her first day. "Sounds fun" she said, something of a forced delight in her voice. "I'm sure Herald's really nice when you get to know... him?" she said, the end of her sentence slightly turned upwards in tone as a result of her confusion. "Do they call him Mr. Squid or something?" she thought to herself, letting out a small laugh as she was amused at her own joke.

Mira was starting to feel more comfortable now, "She seems to be genuinely nice to me" Mira thought to herself as she watched Annag offer out the box of beans. "Jelly beans? How... normal" she smiled as she took one a white coloured bean from the box. "Oh I know! I'll trade you!" she said as she reached into the pocket of her robes and pulled out a Fizzing Whizbee and placed it in Annag's hand. Mira popped the sweet into her mouth, a few seconds passed before she lunged for the side of the boat and spat the bean out of her mouth. "EWW! It tastes like soap!" she complained as she reached into the lake, scooping up some water to help wash out her mouth. Probably wasn't the most hygienic thing to do, but right now Mira didn't care. "Why does all magic food hate me" she said as she turned around and whipped her mouth with her sleeve. "Why do you even have that as a flavour? Do you give that to people after they swear or something?"

Edited by Mira Skydel

Annag Hamblton

Mira seemed to calm down and finally settled back onto her seat. "No worries. A lot of things can be scary until you get know about them more. Just be careful with your wand. I have first-hand knowledge of unexpected magic. Came down to breakfast one morn and mum was behind her time with the scran – em, I mean breakfast," she said correcting her slang. "I was SOOOO hungry and SOOOO irritated!! Suddenly everything on the stove started to wobble and hiss and the tea kettle was screaming like a newly unearthed mandrake root. Then BOOM!!" Annag flung both arms into the air sending some beans skittering off the gunnel into the water. "Whole thing exploded. Ceiling, stove, walls – everything covered in food. Mum just stood there with baked beans dripping down her face. To say the least, Mum was not amused! Wands can pick up on stuff like that and make it stronger and more focused."

In exchange for the bean, Mira had offered to trade a Fizzing Whizbee which she placed in Annag's hand. Annag was most pleased with the trade and contemplating what on earth a Fizzing Whizbee would taste like when Mira rushed to the side of the boat. "EWW! It tastes like soap!" she complained after popping the bean into her mouth. She then started washing her mouth with lake water which made Annag even more aghast.

"What on earth could she possibly mean it tasted like soap?! This is horrible!" Annag quickly scanned the box in her hand and read "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans – A Risk with Every Mouthful." Her eyes widened with the realization that "every flavor" meant "EVERY flavor!" 

"Oh, Mira. I'm SOOOO sorry!! I had no idea. The lady on the train said these were some of the most popular candy in the wizarding world so I bought them. My mum never lets me have candy. I had no idea that such awful flavors even existed." Annag had seen other kids squealing and chasing chocolate frogs about the train compartments, but that had seemed silly. These beans might be daring and adventurous to some, but to her they just seemed mean spirited. She slumped down saddened by the fact that her good intentions had caused Mira to drink lake water of all things. "Maybe a Fizzing Whizbee will take the taste out of your mouth," she encouraged trying to fix the situation. That may have been a bad suggestion though. Heaven knows what crazy was packed into something called "fizzing" or "whizbee" for that matter. The two girls might end up shooting into the sky like bottle rockets for all she knew. How had she missed researching "candy in the magical world" in her earlier scouring of knowledge that would help her at Hogwarts?

Edited by Annag Hamblton

Mira Skydel

Mira shook her damp sleeve about, sending small droplets of waters splashing about the wooden boat. "You know, I think I've had enough candy for now" she said as she wiped her mouth again. "Oh and if you eat that you might want to hold onto your seat. They make you float a little bit" she said as she gripped onto the oars. "It can be a bit weird if you haven't tried them before, but I can promise they don't taste like soap...... or squid water" she said as she stuck her tongue out, the fact that she had just drunk from the no doubt very unclean water hitting her. "It does have that calamari after taste" she said as she tilted her head to the water. Her best attempt at a joke to lighten the situation, she could clearly see the defeated look in Annag's expression. Mira wasn't entirely sure why Annag was so upset at giving her a nasty tasting bean, "Surely it was a trick of some sorts" she thought to herself. 

Mira couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Annag, she was clearly trying her best to be nice to Mira, despite the results thus far. "Look, why don't I paddle and you keep an eye out for a Giant Squid..... Herald" she said, giving a slight nervous laugh to highlight her uneasiness at sailing across the inky black waters. "Maybe it's all squid ink" she thought to herself, "Oh I really hope I didn't drink squid ink" she thought as her stomach began to churn. 

Mira shook her head and pushed the gross feeling from her mind. "Look I haven't had much experience with magic or boats" she said in a whisper, as if she was embarrassed for anyone else to hear her secret. In Mira's mind, it was important for her to display an aura of confidence, to make it seem like the knew what she was doing, lest anyone find out the truth and make fun of her for it. "Why don't you tell me a bit about magic as we make our way across" she said, pulling the oars back and giving the boat the push it needed to break free of the bank. "It'll help take my mind off of the Giant Squid" she added with something of a forced smile. Her nerves increasing as they started moving further and further from the shore. 

Mira would be lying if she said revealing so much about her lack of knowledge to someone else didn't make her uncomfortable. Part of her was expecting Annag to start pointing and laughing any second now. At least if she did, "I could always tip her out of the boat" Mira thought with a sinister smirk, but then the guilt of being mean to someone who was being so nice to her took over and the thought quickly vanished. "If someone could finally tell me what a portkey is, that would be great" she said to Annag as she moved the paddles back and forth.

Annag Hamblton

Mira warned her about the odd properties of Fizzing Whizbees and proceeded to make a fun joke about squid water and the delightful taste on the palette that lake water produced accompanied by a fun sticking-out-of-the-tongue. "It does have that calamari taste." Annag couldn't help but giggle and give her a gentle push with her elbow. Annag had grown up playing only with boys. There wasn't another girl anywhere to be found except her little sister. Mum had warned her that girls are different and one should not punch a girl in the arm to signal that one thinks the girl is being friendly or humorous. So Annag opted for a gentle elbow accompanied by a smile.

Mira leaned in to whisper that she didn't have much experience with magic or boats, but suggested that she man the oars to keep her mind off of the the thought of Herald whilst Annag filled her in on the details of portkeys. At first she was hesitant. Rowing was an art that one developed over a long period of practice. New oarsmen tended to push the boat in large, arching circles. But then it dawned on her that these boats were magical, and no matter what the crazy pirate guy at the front of the group said, these boats were headed to Hogwarts all on their own. Annag smiled to herself and was happy that Mira could do something to calm her mind while Annag did one of her favorite things and that was to teach. As they pushed off and began their journey out into the lake, she realized that Mira was pretty well good at this rowing thing. "And see there, you've got quite a knack for rowing yourself!"

The boat began to glide along into the darkness with the smallest of glowing lights bobbing on the prow. *Bow up, bow down, bow up, bow down* all in perfect tempo with the rowing. The tiny lights of other boats were visible scattered across the lake. Some to bob more rhythmically than others, however.

Annag's heart leapt. It was like Christmas, the hatching of a baby bird, playing with the dog, the first day of school, getting new art supplies, learning something previously unknown, and running through the fields on a snowy day all in one. Someone—anyone—was being nice to her for the first time since she arrived on her journey to Hogwarts or most any time for that matter. There had been the girl on the train, but she suspected the girl was nice to most everybody. Mira didn't laugh at her or make snarky remarks under her breath even after all of the horrible things she had inadvertently subjected her to. Annag couldn't help herself and with a big smile, clapped her hands with delight.

She then settled back marveling at the night sky that twinkled over the warmly glowing Hogwarts in the distance. "Portkeys. The first mention of a portkey was recorded in 1357 and was a broom used by a Quidditch referee named..."

Suddenly it came to Annag's mind as the night air began to chill, that Mira's sleeve was wet to the elbow and it was advancing to her shoulder at an alarming rate. Annag looked left, right, and behind and leaned close to Mira to whisper as voices carried easily over water. "Mira. Pull the oars into the boat for a moment. It will keep going on its own." It was well know in the Wizarding World that underage children were not allowed to use magic outside of school. It was also well known that parents would become very angry if children didn't do simple chores about the house, so it seemed the Ministry kept a blind eye to basic household spells. In Annag's house, by the wishes of her gran on her father's side, the wand she had in life hung beside the old wood stove stove ready for any of her grandchildren to use around the house. "It will get cold very soon here in the Highlands. We need to dry your sleeve or you will be in danger of hypothermia!" Annag pushed her glasses up to the top of her nose as she always did when she was about to concentrate. And without any trepidation, she pulled Cloveyher new wand named after this self-same granfrom her sleeve and began an intricate pattern that both she and her mother had done time and time again when Annag would be wet from rain or she had splashed through a pow that ran through the fields. She made sure she was low and well out of sight of any nearby busy-bodies. Slowly a rush of warm air came from the tip of the wand sending Annag's long, dark hair swirling up into the night sky.

Mira Skydel

Mira was listening to Annag's words with an intensity. Mira knew she needed to learn as much as she could, and the quicker she could do that, the better. The thought that the boats were magical hadn't occurred to her, in fact, Mira was quite proud at her natural skill at rowing a boat. Mira couldn't help feeling as though she had made a friend, "Well, that's better than all the enemies you thought you would make" she thought to herself as she pulled the oars back and forth, it felt like she was rowing them through an ocean of clouds it was that simple.

"Ok?" she said with a slight scepticism as she pulled the oars into the boat, she had no reason to believe Annag was leading her astray in any way, Annag had been quite kind to her so far. "What are you doing?" she asked as she saw Annag lower herself into the boat. Mira felt her heart rate spike as she saw Annag pull her wand out and point it at her. A panic creeping into her mind, Mira quickly pulled the wand from her sleeve. But it was too late, Mira watched as Annag's hair began to float up, a warm breeze passing over her. Mira snatched her arm back quickly, truth be told she didn't know exactly why she had done so, perhaps she was afraid of the magic she didn't yet understand to me. "What did you do?" she snapped as she stood up, nearly falling out of the boat as she did so. Mira soon felt her better judgement kicking in, "Of course she wasn't going to try and attack you, you nitwit" she thought, Mira felt her hand drifting to inspect her now dry sleeve. She let out a heavy sigh as she looked down at Annag. "Sorry" she said, the shame heavy in her voice as she sat back down, tucking her wand back up into her sleeve. "I.... I didn't mean to react like that" she stammered with an embarrassed voice. "It's just. I didn't know what you were doing" she added. "Thank you" she said quietly as she picked up the oars and continued rowing. Part of her knowing she wasn't making a difference, but the motion helping to keep her distracted from her most recent outburst towards someone who was only trying to help.

Annag Hamblton

Mira had settled back into her rhythmic rowing. "Ye know, you really are good at rowing. Look how those oars cut the water with nary a splash. Well done!"

Annag chuckled a little to herself as she reviewed that last few minutes in her brain. "Ye know lassie, ye goin' to have to settle a wee bit. If ye keep pulln' out that wand of yours, we're both going to end up in hospital! Some older prat is going to mistake that for a possible attack and the two of us are flying tush over teacups." Annag smiled and laughed a bit.

"Tell ye what. I'll try and be better at explaining to ye whenever I'm about to do something magical. And also try and be better at warning you when I think magical things are gonna happen. That way ye can get better acquainted with all of the this-and-that that is new to ye, and me as well for that matter. Don't worry, I'd never let anything bad happen to us if I have the power to prevent it."

"What if we had a code word we could use around people to warn each other about magic or when we we're confused or scared? That way nobody would know, but we could be there for each other. Kind of like a wee expletive – say 'Oh, soapy beans!' for instance" she toned in her most posh accent and hoity-toity face and then laughed. "Eh?"

"Say, Mira. I know the rowing is relaxing and fun and all. But, ye can't see Hogwarts coming up facing that way. What ye say if you pull the oars in and we just let the boat do its thing. We're only going to get this chance once in our lives. We should enjoy the view!" Annag now was even more overwhelmed by the silhouette of Hogwarts against the twinkling night sky. Fast approaching was the start of their magical lives. Annag's heart started pounding once again and she tried not to shake this time. This really was "Lucky boat number 7!" she thought.

Edited by Annag Hamblton

Mira Skydel

Mira looked at Annag with a curiosity, she nodded her head as she heard the words of the younger girl, but was still surprised at how calm she was given her most recent outburst. "Look, I want to learn as much about magic as I can" she said as she turned around to face the silhouetted castle that was growing closer by the second. Mira looked towards Annag, she could see the pure joy in her eyes and Mira couldn't help but smile herself. "You know, that doesn't sound too bad" she said, "The secret soapy bean society" she said with a small chuckle. "First order of business. Wand control" she thought to herself. "I'm warning you now Annag, I'm not nice. If we're going to have this secret club, don't expect me to be all buddy buddy all the time" she said as she pointed at Annag. Mira probably had no right to be telling Annag what to do, it was becoming clear to Mira that she knew so little in comparison to the others, she had thought a spell to dry her clothes was some sort attack against her. But the main reason Mira was giving Annag this strict talking to, was because Mira knew she could be a bit of a handful at times, her recklessness and over eagerness to act had gotten her in trouble before, and will probably get her in trouble again. 

"And hey, maybe some time you could show me how to do that drying spell?" she said, a spark of hope in her voice. She wanted to learn magic, she didn't really care how or who from. Mira just knew she had to learn as much as she could if she was going to become the most powerful spell-caster there had ever been. And this, to her at least, seemed like the perfect place to start.

Annag Hamblton

Annag tipped her head down and looked over her glasses. Mira seemed all over the place like her Uncle Perry when he had a wee bit much of the whisky. She gave a crooked smile. "Mira was going to be a handful – like a foal with the jitters . Hopefully she'd settle once she became more confident."

"I'm so glad you're onboard with the beans, Mira! It sure makes me feel better knowin' that with just a word someone is aware that I could use a bit of a pluck up. I'm not very good around people ye know. In fact, I'm flat out a disaster. Since I won't be able to just wander willy-nilly around the grounds of Hogwarts, I'm sure I'll be spending most of my time studying or making crafts in my dorm room. No worries 'bout me bothern' ye day in and day out." Tears began to well up in Annag's eyes. "It's just the stress of the day. Buck up there old girl."

Annag sniffed a bit; looked up at the sky; inhaled deeply and began again. "I'd be glad to teach ye the drying spell. Ye need to start yer charms studies first though like me mum did with me. It's not a hard spell to learn, but it does take a basic knowledge of wand control. Imagine a hurricane of hot air descending upon the Highlands!" Annag smiled a bit at the picture in her head of birds being blown tumply-wumply whilst trees bowed low. Squirrels were screaming and the hems of robes were being pulled over their owner's heads.

Mira Skydel

Mira looked towards Annag, a slight confusion in her expression. Reading people was never her strong point and so she was just going off of what her gut told her to do. "Are those happy tears or sad tears?" she asked, leaning closer towards Annag, trying to as friendly as her frazzled self could be. "I', guessing not happy tears" she said as she watched Annag pull the robes over her head. "Hey... everythings alright" she said in as soft a voice as she could manage. "I'm sorry for being mean, I didn't mean to" she added as she reached out to put a hand on Annag's shoulder. The guilt was now tearing through Mira something fierce, here she was thinking she was making friends, only to see them burst into tears  before her. 

"Look if there's one thing I need to learn, it's wand control. I nearly blew up Olivander's when I was there" she said with a small chuckle, doing her best to coax a laugh out of the other girl. 

"Listen, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, but I have no idea what to expect in there" she said as she thumbed towards the castle that was growing closer and closer by the second. "So the things you're worried about, I don't even know they're coming" she said. "If anyone should be nervous. It's me"

Annag Hamblton

Annag sniffed one of those snotty sniffs that comes with tears. Mira had hit right at Annag's most self-conscious area on a day that she was already jumpy and jittery as a mouse with an owl overhead. Mira seemed to be trying to be friendly and the hand on Annag's shoulder actually made her feel much, much better.

She couldn't resist a  laugh at Mira's wand humor. "I'm sorry, Mira," she said as she wiped her face on her new robes. "I guess I feel overwhelmed by the whole idea that minutes from now we are going to be arriving for our first year at Hogwarts." She looked up once again at the beauty of this very special night. "I hope we're sorted into the same house together. That would be nice. Oh, soapy beans! Do you know what sorting is?" Annags eyes got big at the thought that her new-found friend might be thrown into sorting with nary a clue as to what was going on. How terrifying would THAT be!

Edited by Annag Hamblton

Mira Skydel

Mira smiled despite herself, it felt good to make others happy, something she hadn't really thought about before. Mira pulled a loose bit of cloth from her robes and offered it to Annag. "I've got no idea what this sorting thing is, or why everyone is so fussed about it" she said as she scratched the back of her head. It felt weird to admit she didn't know something so openly. "And I don't see why everyone is" she added quickly. "From what I've seen, the houses are just colours for your uniforms. I don't see why they're so important"

Annag Hamblton

"Thanks, Mira," Annag said as she looked down at the cloth that had just been handed her. She wanted to blow her nose. But then what, hand it back? That would be rude. This may be the biggest day of her life and she didn't want to be snuffling snot the whole time, so she took a big blow. "That's so nice and soft! But I'm not sure you want it back right now after I've made such a mess of it. Tell you what, when I unpack I'll give ye one of mine in return until I can figure out laundry at Hogwarts. Mum would be horrified right now to know that I don't have a tissue on me. That woman could pull a dry tissue from her wet bathings suite and NOT even use magic! I swear." 

Annag now turned to the question of sorting. The shore was fast approaching and she wanted to make sure Mira had the most intel that Annag could give her in such a short time in case they got separated. "Ok, time for a quick review of sorting," she said trying to control her slang and her accent as her nerves were getting the best of her. "First thing, we are going to eventually arrive at the Great Hall of Hogwarts castle. Ne mind the magical things. They aren't there to hurt ye, just make it 'more impressive and add a bit of pomp on your important day' as me mum says. There will be five tables. Two on each side of a center aisle for each of the houses where current students sit and one across the front where the teachers sit. The houses are Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. In what order from left to right as ye enter, I denne.

After we get to the front of the room, there will be a welcome speech by a teacher and then we will turn our attention to the Sorting Hat. Bit of an auldjin having been around since time, but he knows his stuff. I think he sings some kind of welcome song as well.  They'll start calln' our names by alphabetical order at which time each new student will come forward and sit on the sorting stool. Ne to worry, every student there whether from a magical family or not, will be scared. The Hat will be placed upon yer head where he can sense yer inner being. Ne to panic, he has never hurt neer a person. This is when he makes the decision into which house ye will be placed for your entire time at Hogwarts and will announce it to the Hall. They do this so you can be with kids similar to yerself that 'can help and guide you over the years and set you up to be the best you you can be,' she said quoting from an article she had read. "Each house was formed by one of the original founders of Hogwarts and have certain inner strengths associated with each. Ye may feel the hat chose incorrectly at first, but he has neer made a mistake in all his years – so he himself says.

Hop down and join yer table that I'm sure will be clapping wildly and happy to receive ye." Annag hoped in her heart that this last part was true. "When it's all over, the Headmaster who is seated in front of the teacher's table, will have a word for the beginning of the Start-of-Term Feast. This is where they finally feed us!! I know that was fast. De ye have any questions?"

Edited by Annag Hamblton