Willa Henry

And if I fail well then I fail but i gave it a shot

Willa Henry

@Dale McQueen-Trengrove
lyrics by The Format.

"Da, they won't miss me!" Willa argued, trying to prevent her da from grabbing the portkey that would take them to her Quidditch league in Ireland. While Brackleberry did have its own team comprised of the nine and ten-year-olds in the area, there weren't enough of them to form multiple teams so they had been absorbed into the Irish league. They were a few games in, and Willa had yet to improve at playing beater, chaser, or even seeker. The captain, a middle-aged woman whose own child played seeker most of the time, had stuck Willa as a chaser, thinking that she could do the least damage there. 

"Now that's not true. Hurry up and grab on, we'll be late anyway." Rufus urged his daughter forward and seconds later, they were stumbling onto the practice field where they were to play. She didn't even know where in Ireland they were, logistics left up to her father every week, but she rushed away from him quickly to catch up with her team as the match was almost starting. 

Not surprisingly, Willa still hated the sport. Despite the cheering from her da, and how fun it was to race around the pitch, she'd spent most of the match trying not to crash into her opponents. Somehow, she felt like she had gotten worse in the week since their last match, and the sinking feeling made her want to dismount her broom immediately and go hide in boring Brackleberry. This was nothing like practicing flying in the backyard of their house in Bardville. There, it was only her and her da in the air, maybe a friend or two from town and no one tried to knock her off her broom by hand or with a bludger. No one to make fun of her, and certainly not another team that was handily beating her own and making it look like they had been bred to play Quidditch from birth. 

Finally, the match ended and Willa waved half-heartedly at her da. She had flown okay, managing to dodge most of the bludgers launched at her, but she somehow was incapable of avoiding other people in the air. Her own team had started to refer to her as the human bludger when they thought she was out of earshot, and even Willa could understand the meaning behind it. She felt rather bad as they were forced to shake hands with the other team, especially as she'd nearly hit into a boy her own age more often than the other players. It seemed every time that she had turned her head or dodged something, he'd been in her blind spot. 

"Errr," Willa smiled nervously as she approached him in the after match handshake, "Good match? Sorry for, you know, almost crashing into ya several times." Children were scattering towards their parents, but a quick glance proved to her that Rufus was laughing about something with another Brackleberry father, so Willa didn't turn and run away like she desperately wanted to. 

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

Being taller and bigger than most of the other kids gave Dale a distinct advantage when it came to nine and ten year old Quidditch. It meant that he made a fantastic beater and the bat in his hand always felt good as he whacked the friendlier, injury free bludgers (which were really little more than rubber balls) at the other players. 

Someone like Leon (begrudgingly) would've made a good seeker if he had the hand/eye coordination because he was small, but Dale was almost always put in the beater position or secondarily, keeper, due to his bigger, more muscular frame. Well, as muscular as a ten year old could be. 

The current match, however, was giving him fits. Some girl on the other team kept almost running into him, messing him at opportune moments, and it was quite honestly, the worst that Dale had ever performed in the nine or ten year old division games. Or any game for that matter. He had been thrown off by her all game and needless to say, he was quite livid by her afterwards. 

When she went to shake his hand and apologized, he couldn't help but to say some words in response. "Do you not know how to fly?" he hissed at her. "I mean you made me perform horribly." Perhaps though that had been her strategy. If that had been, which he doubted, he would have to give her some props for that as it had worked. Her doing that had honestly messed up with his confidence though he would never admit to that in a million years. But the first time she had done it, he had been thrown off ever since. "Anyone could fly better than you did today." Yes, he was going to blame his bad performance completely on her because it felt better to do it even though he knew he should have just tried to ignore it and play on. 

Though it was difficult to do when she was hitting him literally every two seconds. That was how it felt to him anyhow. 

Willa Henry

However Willa had expected this conversation to go, it wasn't for him to be outright rude at the first go. She was apologizing, already felt quite bad about how terribly she'd played, and was trying to be decent as her da kept reminding her that a lot of these kids would be going on to Hogwarts with her. Her brow furrowed as he only continued to comment on how terrible she'd been, and all thoughts of apologizing and making it right left her brain in a few short seconds. 

"You can't blame me for the fact that you can't dodge anything," she replied as she crossed her arms and stared him down, "How do you expect to keep playing at Hogwarts if you can't dodge things?" She didn't know if that was his plan for a fact or not, but she did think he was one of the better players on the other team. At this point, she was also assuming that anyone who had bothered to sign up for this kiddie league was planning to play. Well, everyone except her because Willa at least knew that she was awful and wouldn't be able to make a house team.

"And at least I own up to when I was awful," she added, feeling like that made her sound like the superior human and not some petulant child. Her cheeks felt hot though, and Willa didn't know if the blush was because he had very accurately pointed out all of her insecurities or if it was because she was annoyed. Either way, she felt determined to prove him wrong before her da finished his conversation.

Dale McQueen-Trengrove

"I'm not supposed to be dodging you, I'm supposed to be dodging bludgers and sending them back at people," he replied giving her a look. There was of course the occasional time when he had to maneuver out of possible collisions but that should be in his mind at least, a rare occurrence. This game that was anything but with her constantly running into him. 

"Why are you even playing if you can't fly?" he shot back at her instead of directly replying to her comment about playing at Hogwarts head on. He thought that he would have a decent chance of making the team though her words did cut into his insecurities a bit. His face grew a little bit hot as she knew she was speaking the truth about how poorly he did today. "At least I don't try and mess up the other team's players because I can't fly straight." It wasn't cheating by Quidditch rules but he still thought it was poor gamesmanship nonetheless. "Seriously who taught you how to fly? You'll probably need remedial flying lessons once we get to Hogwarts." 

He had heard that they took flying lessons the first year. Of course he would have an advantage having grown up in a wizarding family and having played Quidditch for this league. Still though a part of Dale worried that there would be some students that would be better than him and he didn't want that to happen. 

"Gotta get those bad habits of yours fixed."