Jerome Chan

pick-up-six

Jerome Chan

Disorder was never something Jerome liked, and so he found the shouting and mess that ensued after everyone had gotten off the train really unpleasant. He pulled his lips into a slight frown and tried to wait until the area was a bit more clear before he started walking, but with all the jostling, he ended up being pushed into the crowd. He did his best to quell his anger. Anger did nothing to help the situation, so he took in a deep breath and let himself be pushed and pulled by the current of the people around him. Noisy and slightly warm as it was, it wasn't dangerous so he was not afraid. Just...slightly annoyed.

The moment fresh air hit him, he gulped it down as he stumbled into one of the boats. It was small, and he had to row it himself, but he didn't mind too much. He was confused, though. The other students went to the carriages but he had to go in boats? What was the point of it? Wasn't it a waste of energy and time, both on the school's part and the student's part? He really didn't understand this school. And while the other students were nice enough, it was hard to imagine him being friends with anyone. They were all so different from him. They didn't understand his culture, and he wasn't sure they ever would. Were there any other Chinese in the school, he wondered. He hoped so. If not he really might as well go back to London, where he had his parents and his Chinese international school. He missed his parents, and he missed his friends. He just hoped he wouldn't regret making the choice to go to this school.

He forced himself to brighten up when he turned to face the person next to him on the boat. "Hello," he mumbled lightly, trying a small but friendly smile.

@Heath Sanders-Banagher

Heath Sanders-Banagher

The fact that he was at Hogwarts was enough for Heath to get even more excited about going to magic school. He grew up with magic but still it was limited at home. Now he could use it all the time and he didn’t have to be under the supervision of his dads. Heath was now independent. He was free. He was going to Hogwarts where he would have plenty of people to recruit for his plays! He’d also get to see Henry again and he honestly missed his big brother. It was exciting to go with Hunter though but as soon as the train stopped he leaped out of the compartment he was in. Heath needed to go find a group of people that would pay attention to him.

He hadn’t found that yet.

There was an adult calling them over to get on boats and Heath hurried over. He was so excited to just begin his time at Hogwarts that he rushed to the first boat he found. “Ooh I’m gonna sit up front! I’m sitting up f-“ But there was a boy there already. He wasn’t going to frown though- he had someone to talk to! That was the best thing about this boat now because he had someone to talk to that he could have pay attention to him.

“Hello! I’m Heath! Who’re you?” Heath answered very proudly. “Oh you’re new too! Are you excited?” Good ole Heath- he was good at starting conversations.

Jerome Chan

Jerome tried to remain calm at this very loud boy who answered very...well, loudly. Heath. He made himself remember the name. He'd already made some friends and he didn't want to lose them by forgetting their names. It would seem thoughtless, and also rude. He swallowed nervously, before answering. "I'm Jerome." He smiled, just like his parents taught him to do when he first started going to school. Smiling helped him make new friends. Though at Heath's second question, his frown lessened. Excited wasn't exactly the word he would use. More like...scared, or nervous. Though he wouldn't tell anyone that except his parents. Besides, it wasn't like he didn't feel any excitement at all. It just wasn't the main emotion. "Yes," he replied, nodding. "I want to learn more about magic, and I hope to learn a lot here."

He glanced at the boy next to him, and relaxed a little. He seemed harmless, if only a bit too friendly. Still, at least with a person like him, there wouldn't be too much awkwardness. He didn't like it when things were awkward. And he found he was only comfortable with silence when he was around people he knew well. So, he spoke up again. "What about you? How do you feel about coming here?"

Chaol Edevane

((ooc: if you want me to leave, just lemme know))

The ride from King's Cross had certainly been an interesting one. Aside from those he spent time with in the compartment he'd found, there'd been talk about Julian Banagher going on the warpath looking for him. Chaol had laughed when he heard the news; apparently his pen pal really was set on beating him up before the term started.

Once the train had reached its destination, the fun was not over yet for the first years. Instead of following the older students to the carriages, they were to take a ride across the lake in dingy boats. A scenic choice, he had to admit, but wondered if this was Hogwarts' way of weeding out people.

Maybe he could find a way to tip Julian's boat.

Glancing around as his new classmates hurried to their boats, Chaol found one that hadn't seemed too occupied yet. "Hey," he said by way of greeting as he got in. "You know how to swim, right?"

Jerome Chan

Jerome turned his head at the sound of a new voice arriving in their boat. It was another boy, this time with dark hair and features that reminded him more of his home. He relaxed slightly at this sudden flow of comfort, though he still had to remind himself that he was still a stranger and strangers shouldn't be trusted, just like his parents said. Did it matter that they were both going to the same school? No, at least, he didn't think so. This school was...strange. He didn't understand why he had to ride in a train, or in a boat, and he wasn't sure he enjoyed the feel of robes on his small frame. Magic school was really different from normal schools, and he didn't know what people going to this school would be like.

"I do," Jerome replied to the newcomer's question. It was a strange way to start a conversation, though much quieter than the other boy's - Heath's - loudness and over-friendliness. He could only guess that it was because they were in a lake. Still, the boat wouldn't overturn, right? Since it was a school activity, there should be regulations and spells to makes sure they didn't fall into the water. He guessed that it would be cold, and he didn't want to fall sick from it. "Do you?"

((ooc: you're more than welcome 😁))

Chaol Edevane

Chaol nodded. He'd been taught at the foster home before his current one after an incident at the local pool. "Never hurts to check," he said, as if this was a suitable enough way to start a conversation. "Name's Chaol, by the way."

Astraea Wang

Was she imagining it, or was the adult with the giant boat sticking all the asians together?

The relative darkness of the docks allowed her to observe her new boat-mates with relative anonymity, and in spite of the abnormally high number of asians it seemed like a pleasant enough group. Introductions were being made as well, which had Astra breathing easier. She always felt like an interloper when she was forced to join groups where a dynamic was already established. Taking a deep breath, she hurried towards the boat as if she had just come from where the main group still was. "I think I'm with you guys," she started a way of explanation "This is boat six, right?"

Edited by Astraea Wang

Heath Sanders-Banagher

Heath was always loud but he always wanted to be the center of attention. If he wasn’t the center of attention he had problems. He wanted to always have everyone looking. “Oh nice to meet you uh, Jerome!” Heath was used to having everyone in his family looking so different so it was nice to already be making so many new friends. “What house do you think you’ll get? One of my dads was a Gryffindor but I don’t think I was super brave and-“ And they were joined by another boy. “Of course I can swim! Can you?” Heath didn’t want anyone to knock the boat over though.

“Just don’t knock the boat over and oh hi! I’m Heath! And she’s-“ Actually he didn’t know the girls name either. “Wait, these boats have numbers? What are they for?” It didn’t occur to Heath that he was completely surrounded by asians because he’d totally forgotten where his brother had gotten to. “Hey have any of you seen my brother Hunter? He was right behind me but…I think he got lost.” Oh well Heath could just find him later. “Oh get in get in!” He waved the girl in. “I think we’ll start moving soon!”

Spruce Lindberg

Spruce was ready to be off the train. He had spent far too much time with his cousins. To be fair, one second with his cousins began to grate on him. He finally stepped off the train and was swept up with the rest of the first years. He wasn't quite sure why they were being separated from the other students, but it was whatever. Spruce made sure he was as far away from Pine and Box as possible.

He found a boat that looked close to full and was also Treeless. The eleven year old made his way over to the boat. He also heard one boy state they might start moving soon. Spruce quickly sat in it without asking for any permission.

"Could we get this boat moving." Spruce shifted his eyes between the other first years. He saw Pine over in another boat and he breathed a sigh of relief. He was still weary though. Box was nowhere to be seen and he was the quiet twin.

He looked over at his other compatriots. He recognized one from his trip to Diagon Alley. The name escaped him but that was fine. The others were all a mystery to the first year boy.

Jerome Chan

Jerome wasn't used to this at all. This chaos, and this many people speaking all at once. The schools he went to were more structured, and he met friends by being assigned seat partners and through formal, school-guided clubs and societies. Not by being shoved into a boat with strangers, where he was feeling less and less certain that he wouldn't fall into the water and catch a cold. He really had a lot he needed to get used to.

He kept the other Asian boy's name in his mind. Chaol. So there was Heath, and Chaol. And just then another girl joined - an Asian girl! It seemed fate was really on his side. And there he was, being uncomfortable when he thought of being the one who would stand out due to his warm skin tone and almond-shaped eyes. "Yes, I think this is six. Welcome." Then, turning to Heath, he said, "I don't know of your brother. Maybe he was sent to another boat."

And yet another boy joined them. That made five of them. And this one seemed rather impatient to get moving, though Jerome didn't understand why. "Are we allowed to start rowing already?" He glanced around at the other boats, then at the oar that was shoved into his hands just before he was ushered to this boat. He didn't know if anyone else would be asked to join this boat, but from the looks of it, there wasn't much space left.

Astraea Wang

As she was waiting for the boys to respond, Astra suddenly had an awful foreboding feeling. What if she had been horribly, horribly late and the only reason that they had been standing around was because they had been waiting on the last member of their boat to arrive? They were probably to polite to actually say anything, but one could never tell what others were thinking. It wasn't the first time in her life that she wished she had mind-reading powers, ones that would tell her precisely where she stood with other people. The guesswork involved was far too stress-inducing for her to handle.

But the thoughts spinning around her mind was quickly put to rest when another boy joined them. So they were still waiting on others, and she wasn't the last to arrive after all. How rude of the latest boy to keep them all waiting. "My name's Astraea, Astra for short." she supplied helpfully as the boy valiantly attempted to introduce a girl that he had never met. "It's a pleasure to meet all of you." she added, not wanting to inconvenience the group by asking for names when they had potentially already made their introductions.

Instead, she chose to examine the oar in her hand. It seemed straightforward enough, a solid piece of wood fashioned into an oar with a bar on the top of the handle. The wood was smooth, unlikely to give her splinters, and didn't seem unduly heavy. That was good, seeing how Astra was going to do everything she could to kick the other boat's arses. She was not going to spend her first night at Hogwarts in a dungeon, not if she could do anything about it. "So, have any of you rowed a boat before?" Personally she hadn't, but it didn't look unduly hard. Certainly something that they could figure out quickly enough.