Wyatt Lazarus

bygones

Wyatt Lazarus

It had been a complete accident.

Over the last year he had been encouraged by his progress within his makeshift potions lab. The empty classroom had seen many triumphs, a few failures and a couple of breakdowns along the way. It was his safe space within the castle where no one could bother him. Then… his concentration had faltered; the potion turned a little too green and he found himself with a burnt arm that he could only explain to the staff at the hospital wing as an accident.

He was certain a stay within the wings wall was unnecessary. Wyatt lay on the bed, grumbling that just because he had refused to tell the staff how he had gotten injured, he was being treated differently. He did not want his lab to be found and taken from him. The potions were the only part of his life that he could control, that were there for him, that usually didn’t betray him.

Unlike certain fifth year hufflepuffs.

Wyatt sighed.

It had been a long time since he had spoken to Desmond. The start of the year they had uttered a few words, then he had fallen back into his usual silence. Resting his head against the pillow, knowing he wouldn’t be getting any visitors this late at night, Wyatt wondered when his life became a walking muggle soap opera.

Desmond Potter

This year it was crazy, he had not spent that much time with Milo, and he was almost always spending his time with Seeley. Even trying to see his own family members was hard to do. And one cousin was even in his own house. It was just odd, to think that because he was a fifth year that life got crazy. But he was sneaking around trying to be able to study for OWLs and not have anyone know he was thinking about them and wanting to move on. 

Desmond was laying in bed one night, when something hit his head. Glad that it was his head and not someone else like Nox or Phillip. That was not something he wanted to deal with at this time and it was late at night. And there was something on it that said Wyatt was in the Hospital Wing. 

Knowing that he has barley talked to his best friend, since their falling out, Desmond grabbed a robe and walked up towards the common room and made his way out of the common room. Making sure that no one was around he didn’t know what time it was at all. 

And some how he was able to make it to the wing and hoped that no one would ask what he was doing there and hoping that he was going to be able to find Wyatt there and not looking around to much. And that was when it happened and Desmond smiled and walked in. 

There was his best friend, laying on the bed. “Wyatt? Is that you?”

Wyatt Lazarus

He had rolled over slightly when he had heard footsteps. His side ached – probably not the best move – however he did not want another awkward conversation with the staff at the hospital wing. No doubt they were going to be retrieving his head of house in order to interrogate him further. He was already planning his “great escape” in the early hours of the morning. If he could just remain as silent as possible until that point, he had a chance off…

“…Desmond?”

Wyatt turned back towards the entrance. His side panged once more and he uttered out a small grunt of pain as he slowly sat up. For a moment his ran his eyes up and down to ensure that Desmond was not injured. Why else would the boy be in the hospital wing by choice? When he noticed nothing out of sorts, he wondered whether it was possible to distract the healers sooner.

“Did you get a detention or something?”

That was the only other explanation the Gryffindor was able to provide for his ex-best friend’s appearance. They fell into a silence that he had no desire to break. Well, he had no idea how to break. It had been a long while since he had to force himself to try and have a conversation with Desmond. They were once in sync. They were once in formation. Now? Wyatt knew that he had no place in the other boys world.

Desmond Potter

Of course Wyatt thought that he was her because of detention, but it was funny. Since a few years ago he wasn’t getting detention as much as he used to. Which was something he was shocked about since he still did things that could easily get him into truoble, but he wasn’t worried about that. He was worried about his best friend, even if they havnt talked in months - years - Desmond didn’t know any more. 

“No detention, I have came to check in on you.” While they didn’t talk often it didn’t stop him from caring did Wyatt. 

Looking around it seems like no one else was there. Hoping that Wyatt wasn’t going to kick him out of the room, but Desmond would have understood if that happened. 

“Can I come closer and see what happened. Someone told me a potion went wrong and I had to make sure... make sure you were okay.” 

He he would be so upset if something happened and Desmond didn’t come make sure things were find. 

Wyatt Lazarus

Check on him?

Wyatt was floored at that comment. They hadn’t spoken in what felt like forever. They hadn’t shared a kind word, nor remotely looked at each other in shared classes. It seemed that day would be one for surprises. First, he had ruined his potion, then he was reunited with the one person he had actively tried to avoid. Still, for some reason, he did not want Desmond to leave.

“Sure.” Wyatt replied eventually. He slowly sat up and rested his back against the pillows. The pain potion was kicking in, though he wondered how long it would last. How had Desmond heard about this? Then again it was Hogwarts. A secret couldn’t be kept for more than a single minute before someone found out. “I was a little silly with a certain ingredient. My potion became unstable annnnnd…” he lifted up his burnt right arm. It was covered in salve that would smooth it over. “I’m still alive.”

Just.

He did not know whether he would survive this meeting with Desmond. If it ended badly, then his fears would truly come to life.

Desmond Potter

He didn’t care that they had not talked in a while, he will always think of Wyatt as his best friend, no matter what anyone was to say to him. Wyatt was someone that he cared for a lot. And when he said that he was able to come in, there was a small smile on his face and he walked in and hoped that nothing horrible was about to happened. 

Wyatt started talking about what happened. “I am glad that you are alive. I am very happy. When I got the letter it freaked me out,I just didn’t know what to think at all. I had to know that you were okay. I couldn’t think of us not talking and then you…” Desmond was trying to not let anything happened. “Then something happen to you and there was nothing that I could do about it.”

He hated it, hated not being friends with Wyatt at the moment. He wanted everything to be fixed. 

Wyatt Lazarus

Desmond actually cared about him?

Wyatt was surprised the words that were being spoken. He had spent so long believing that the friendship they had shared had been mostly one sided. He had spent so long believing that they would never speak to each other again. It was the reason he had remained distant – wanting to make it easier for the both of them.

Yet… Desmond was here. He had somehow heard about the accident and had come to make sure he was fine. If Wyatt had any thoughts about telling the Hufflepuff to leave, they were removed by his longing to have an actual and genuine conversation. Realising that he had yet to speak, Wyatt looked back towards the other boy.

“I… I would want to know you were okay as well.” He said eventually. “If you were in an accident.”

Wyatt then let out a small sigh as he finally spoke the words he had been hiding for a long while.

“I’ve missed you.”

Desmond Potter

He never stopped caring.

Not once since their friendship was thrown from the rocks and just kept falling. Desmond always cared about Wyatt. Knowing that Wyatt might not known it since Desmond made no effort into talking to his friend but he couldn’t hide it anymore. 

When hearing that Wyatt would want to know the same thing. It made Desmond smiling, knowing that it was true what Wyatt was saying and seeing him laying there hurt Desmond since he didn’t know what happened beside what was told in the letter and it made him sad knowing that he found out from someone else. 

But he was here. “That is a nice thing to know, I miss you also Wyatt. These last few years with out you they...” He took a deep breath. “They have sucked with you.”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.