Sabine Frost

Meet you in the trophy room; that’s always unlocked

Sabine Frost

8656451f275ecc23262264f71e7339f7.jpg

Sabine had gladly signed up for the logically named (but confusing none the less) reverse mentoring programme. Why had she signed up? Well, there were a few reasons (and being Sabine, she had of course listed them in her head):

1.       It gave something back to Hogwarts

2.       It gave something back to Ravenclaw

3.       It demonstrated a team ethic

4.       It might earn points for her House

5.       She got to speak to not only a senior member of her House…not only a prefect…but a Head Boy (this ticked off at least one item on her first-year bucket list and ranked up there with visiting Moaning Myrtle’s Bathroom)

So, reasons to sign-up, five.

Reasons not to:

1.       Not entirely sure what to do

2.       Correction, entirely unsure what to do

3.       Correction to correction, some idea what to do, just not very much

So, she put her name down and was asked to set up the reverse mentoring meeting with @Nicodemus Knight. Which she duly did. All she needed to work out, between now and then, was what to do at the meeting.

Of course, the best laid plans of mice and men (and all that) meant she headed for the third floor and the trophy room, without any clear plan in mind.

She reached the room, and noted how the crystal trophy cases glimmered where light struck them. Inside were cups, shields, plates, and statues of all shapes and sizes and seemed to be made of silver or gold. And she wondered how many had Nicodemus Knight’s name on them.

Nicodemus Knight

Nico had vaguely been aware in years past that Reverse Mentoring was a thing, but he’d never actually taken part in the exercise.  Which might have been why he was so surprised to hear that not only had he been on the list of candidates, but that he’d already been chosen.  It was a pleasant surprise, to say the least.

He wandered into the trophy room, curious to see if his reverse mentor had anything planned. “Hi there!  I’m Nico… but you probably already knew that.”  He looked around the room with curiosity.  “You know, this might only be the second time that I’ve ever been in here…” 

[HELLO FRIEND!  Thank you for picking me! :wub: ]

Sabine Frost

Sabine was a relatively simple person to understand. Yes, you needed to know the rules, but she was hardly complex. And she was, because of that, something of an open book. So, anyone who knew her would anticipate she would have no qualms about meeting someone with the reputation of Nico — even though she was just a first-year. What would be worrying her, however, was what to do when she met him. And she would be hoping he would help her out there, for she had the memory of an elephant with a sophisticated database but the imagination of a postage stamp.

“Yes” she replied to his opening question. It had started simply enough. “And this is actually the third time I’ve been in here, funny that. I saw it on my tour when I first came and I had it on my list of places to visit personally. I have something of a first-year-bucket-list. Famous places to see, things to see. Like the trophies awarded to Tom Riddle and Harry Potter. She pointed at various places around the room. I made a mental map of their locations.”

“But I have to admit, I didn’t look for you. Did you win the quidditch cup in your younger years, or receive a special award?”

[ooc: My pleasure :)]

Nicodemus Knight

Nico nodded with interest at the girl’s bucket list idea.  It definitely seemed like a very Ravenclaw thing  to do.  He raised his eyebrows at the girl’s immediate knowledge as to where those particular trophies were.  “Huh.  I guess it makes sense that there would be trophies with their names on them…”  Nico began to wonder why he’d never actually gone looking for any of that kind of thing, then remembered that when he’d first come to Hogwarts, he’d never actually heard the name Harry Potter. 

“Oh, good Gretzky, no,” Nico chuckled.  “I’ve done what I could to help Ravenclaw win the House Cup for the past three years, but I don’t really duel and we’ve had some bad years here for quidditch, really.  Plus, the cup’s been cancelled for almost half of the years I’ve been here.”  Nico shrugged.  “Head Boy's about the only notable thing I've done around here... not even sure how or why I got it, really..." Nico trailed off for a moment.  "How about you?  Do you have your eyes set on any getting your name on any of the trophies in particular?”

Sabine Frost

Sabine nodded. If she had the inclination, she could memorise all of the trophies, their locations and the names engraved on them. But this would take time – and she preferred to spend any spare moments on quidditch practice and duelling. Fortunately, she had no social time to forfeit – for she enjoyed none. For her, homework was the most fun use of a spare hour – and researching a pet topic in the library a close second.

Sabine’s ear picked up on the odd term. “Gretzy?” she repeated. “As in Wayne?” She was not an ice-hockey aficionado, but she did know a few quotes from him – or at least attributed to him. Quotes were tricky like that. Someone repeats a phrase and becomes credited with originating it. Some of Sabine’s favourite maxims had more than one creator apparently.

“And I know the names of the Head Boy and Girl for the past decade and, I assure you, they aren’t chosen at random. My understanding is that Prefects tend to be more all-rounders and Heads are more academic. That’s not a hard and fast rule, but the data backs up my hypothesis – even if it is just a theory. Which is a long-winded way of saying that you are too modest. It’s obvious why you’re not a Slytherin.”

“And,” she glanced around at the various cabinets, “If I left a legacy, it would be less about a name engraved on a trophy that gathers dust. I’d rather live in the memory. And, to get to the main fact of the matter, I’d like to be remembered as someone who achieved through hard work. Not the brainiest, or the most ambitious – but someone who put in the hours and was prepared to knuckle down. Yes, it would be great to win the House and Quidditch Cups during my time, but I would not define my spell here as a success or failure based solely on those two measures.” 

Nicodemus Knight

Nico nodded in response.  “Yep, Wayne Gretzky.  I’m half-Canadian, and mum’s family are all huge hockey fans.  Drew and I grew up playing hockey, watching hockey… it was pretty much one of the most important things in our lives until Hogwarts happened.  And if there’s one thing that has stayed constant in the sport, it’s that Wayne Gretzky is the greatest.” 

He listened to the girl’s impressive display of knowledge, nodding thoughtfully.  “Well, I suppose that it’s not that I think I was a bad choice… I was mostly just surprised.  But yeah, Slytherin’s probably the last house I belonged in.  I think I’d have done alright in any of the others, though.”

He smiled at the younger Ravenclaw’s thoughts.  “That’s a very mature view of success, if you don’t mind my saying so.  I’m honestly not sure I need anyone to remember me… on a trophy or otherwise.  I figure that as long as I make people happy while I know them, I’ll be pretty happy myself.”  He shrugged.  “I suppose that’s not a very exciting view, but as you said… not a Slytherin.” 

Sabine Frost

Sabine looked slightly surprised. She had never met anyone Canadian, let alone half-Canadian. Why she should be amazed to meet one at Hogwarts was not obvious – but she felt it none the less. “I’m aware of the sport, and its history – and the links to the UK – Lord Stanley and all – but I’ve never seen a game. Although the sport has a few maxims I know of – and one is credited to the ‘Great One’ – the saying about 100% of shots not taken not going in. It’s all about trying and accepting failure – as it’s statistically better than never trying at all.”

“I think your outlook is very sensible – and simply reinforces my opinion that you are modest. But I invited you here to enjoy yourself, not make you feel self-conscious. So, tell me, is there anything you wanted to do have haven’t yet done? This could be your last chance to cross it off your list.”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.