Alvis Anderson

If you want a new adventure, open a book

Alvis Anderson

The library wasn't a place Alvis liked to visit all that often, he was more of an outside or activities kind of kid, although he did love to read it was often up a tree or near to a cliff face when at home but the towers in the castle made for incredible views along with the old oak and pine trees out in the grounds. On the off chance of actually needing to find something to read however Alvis was found entering the library on a bit of a dull and possible showery day and he began to wonder what books he should peruse as he didn't feel like the more adventures and exploitative ones he normally chose.

So being the rather bold and fearless sort he wandered over to the librarian, he'd never spoke to her before and thought she might be able to help him choose something he would never think of picking, ''Howdy! Bonjour, Ciao, Hallo! I was wondering if you could suggest something that is different or odd? I've normally gone straight for the explorers or creature books but I fancy a change!'' 

Miss Turner

Paige was beginning to like her new job. For years, she had been a muggle librarian but had missed the magical world. As a muggleborn, she fit into both worlds but not enough that she felt like she fit in properly. In the muggle world, she couldn't use her magic. In the magical world, she couldn't use technology. It was hard to choose which one she liked better since she liked them both and they both had their merits. She did miss the muggle library technology that made the checkout and checkin processes so much easier but since she had a degree for both muggle and magical librarianship, she knew how to get along in the magical library of Hogwarts.

She looked up from the catalog she was organizing to find a student. She was impressed with his several "hello's" in different languages. "If you've already looked at the explorers and creatures you could try another language since you seem to like them. Or you could even look at our selection of muggle books. You might find muggle technology interesting!"

Alvis Anderson

It never seemed to be his first thing to say, as introductions or a simple hello (Simple ha!) normally had preference but saying he was a muggle born never really came into his end of the conversation unless the other/s brought it up first, ''Oh, muggle?! Na I know all about them, due to thinking I was one for almost eleven years hahaha. Although there might be something in those books I've never come across. Now languages are right up my rue!'' (Street)

Now although a very dreamy and easily distracted young lion, Alvis was very good at looking past physical and verbal social levels of categorising people and just saw what he felt someone could be! However he was one for the ladies even though he knew he stood no chance and it was nothing more then trying to be him self but he found the librarian a  rather pleasant sight and her manner appealing (Personality over looks for Alvis every time but a good combination was even better) ''Are there many wizarding language books mi querido?'' (my dear)

Considering every time before he entered the library he'd tried to get back out as fast as possible, he felt rather relaxed and at home in there today, must be the effect of a happy and welcoming librarian.   

Miss Turner

"I understand," Paige said. "I'm a muggleborn myself. Still find the technology fascinating but reading about it once you've used it is a little useless, I agree." At least he seemed interested in languages. She had lots to offer there. There were the languages that wizards and muggles alike could speak and those that only wizards knew about. Perhaps he would want to learn Mermish or something else along those lines?

She grabbed the catalog for the languages section and flipped it open so he could see the choices. "Here are the languages anyone can learn and here is the section for wizard languages. Take a look through and see if anything catches your attention. If you think you need help finding the books, I can help you." She gave him a bright smile and then went back to her sorting so that he didn't feel like she was hovering.

Alvis Anderson

WOW she was very good at her job, he was expecting just the normal standard languages to be thrust upon him and for most of his life he had learnt the big five from Europe however she took his request and bettered, ''Wizarding languages? Oh blueberries, that's so awesome!'' He was really excited and over the moon at possibly learning or finding out about the languages used in the magical world.

''Er, the Mermish and Gobbledegook seem to be interesting to me, I'm taking magical creatures next year and although  those are more centiant beings, I think my career path may lye with something to do with languages and creatures!'' The young lion was just about to walk off to find the section but her offer had him pondering if she would once more outdo any the expectations he had of a librarian. ''Some help would be awesome if your not to busy Miss!''

Miss Turner

Paige had learned long ago that hovering over patrons was a bad idea. She only wanted to help them but a lot of people felt weird or like she was going to take over everything from them. Thus, she had formed the habit of always having something to do. She had lots to do on her desk but when she walked around the library, she always had some knitting, some shelf-reading lists, or something else in her pockets so that she was always prepared. One day she would finally finish that new sweater she was lugging around in her pockets (made bigger with expansion charms, of course).

Apparently he was excited about the wizarding languages. Perhaps he was a muggleborn and hadn't known about them before. "That sounds like a good career path! And your enthusiasm tells me you'll do well," she said and then stood up. She nodded and said, "This way!" She led him through the stacks of books until they reached the languages section. "What you're looking for will be right about.... here," she said and grabbed one of the books. "I'd start with this one. Anything else I can help you with?"

Alvis Anderson

If you ever wanted some one with enthusiasm, he was right in front of Miss Turner at this very moment! Yes it depended on the subject at hand but normally Alvis wasn't your student for reading lengthy pages of text however he could be persuaded on the rare occasion something took his interest and he had the means to read it out in the open air.

He followed with great haste and was amazed at the large number of books dedicated to wizarding languages, Alvis was rather surprised that wizards had written books on the more centiant  beings in the magical world but then guessed they had to communicate some how before either learned the languages.

Alvis quickly scanned the book he was handed by Miss Turner, luck would have it there was a few illustrations within the text which would make it more helpful to the young lion, it would rid his mind from wandering off into a day dream, well hopefully! ''You seem to be a very experienced librarian!  Most libraries I've visited they don't care or just want to tell you to be quiet. Do you know much about those languages? I always feel a personal experience does wanders with text, just builds the knowledge a bit more.''   

Miss Turner

Truth be told, languages were not exactly Paige's strong point. She knew several important words and phrases in many languages but languages she had mastered besides English? Not many. She was fluent in Irish, Scottish, and Welsh but that was about it and she had only learned them out of necessity. (She had found them interesting but studying a language was difficult for her and not something she set about doing all the time.) She was muggleborn and hadn't known about the magical languages until she had been sorted. That was when she learned a little in each language before giving up.

"I have a friend who is an interpreter," she said. "He's in Australia right now... I believe he is working with the government there to translate some Goblin texts. Not entirely sure, he can't tell me too much about it." Because he worked for the government, she didn't get a lot of information out of him because he couldn't tell her a whole lot. "Maybe that is something you might want to look into. It could be interesting!"

Alvis Anderson

There was no straight yes or no in the librarians words but Alvis took her response to mean  the later, it sounded as though it was her friend that might hint or drop small bits of information to her however he was far more interested in finding out about his job and how he could maybe follow in his footsteps! ''WOW that does sound awesome! Yeah I think that would be fun.''

Alvis had been told a little about goblins and looked up a lot about them, even with all the warnings and wizard opinions on them he still found them fascinating, not being the sort to follow the crowd and believe everything he was told until further study and his own mind made up. After all a Slytherin girl in his own year was part Goblin and she seemed friendly enough even with all the snatching and looting that she carried out.

''So how do you like working here? Did you always want to be a librarian? Walls and a lot of reading isn't my thing but I do enjoy a spot of light reading in a nice quiet place in the fresh air!'' He never really thought about things to in-depth and was enjoying the conversation, the idea she could maybe need to get on with any work hadn't crossed his mind.

Miss Turner

Her friend did have an interesting job. She envied his skill with languages, especially the magical ones. He'd tried to help her in school when she had wanted to learn them but they'd both come to the conclusion that she was rubbish at them. He had been nice when she'd told him she was giving up on learning them any further. She was thankful for that since she'd been worried he would be upset. No one else seemed interested in the languages so she'd tried to stick it out instead of bailing on him.

"My parents are both muggle librarians," she told the student. "I was basically raised to also be one. I spent years working in muggle libraries but I missed parts of the wizarding world. Now I can live more in both. And I loved the Hogwarts library when I was a student so it feels like home. I missed it a lot and I think that this will be a very rewarding job." She looked around the space and smiled. "I love reading in here but reading outside is nice too. As long as it's not raining, of course." Which was almost always the case in Scotland.

Alvis Anderson

She really did seem passionate about books by the look on her face as she explained to the second year Gryffindor how her parents are both librarians and that she missed the wizarding world some what, at least she seemed happy and was just as enthusiastic in her job as Alvis was on the platform.

''OH BLUEBERRIES, although I do like reading under the cover of a tree or cave when it's a shower, you can't beat a good adventure comic or novel when it's bucketing it down outside and you have hot chocolate near by!'' He did enjoy fiction more then real life reading and was very much a collector of muggle super hero comics. ''Are there many fiction novels in the wizarding world? I'll have to have a look when I come back next year, far to many new spells I want to learn for my third year to start now. However these language books will be some bedtime reading or a good break from class work.''

Alvis took two of the new language books the library had to offer and with his big cheesy Cheshire cat grin made to bid Miss Turner farewell, ''Thank you ever so much for your help, maybe someday your friend will help you maybe get back into languages? If not your doing a fab job as a librarian though! BYE!'' he made his way over to a free chair near a desk with around two to three occupants and quietly and carefully set to reading a page or two of the new book. After a short while he made his way over to the checking out desk and handed over the books, ''Spot on Miss Turner, just what the healer ordered!''  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.