Ms Murphy

❝ Ms Murphy’s First Annual Muggleborn Mixer ❞ 

Ms Murphy

❝ Ms Murphy’s First Annual Muggleborn Mixer  

Majella hadn’t been working at Pre-Hogwarts Program that long. As the newest hire she was still fresh meat, but so far the children had respected her enough. Having fun with them had had been fun for Maj. Struggling slightly, she was still adjusting to it the nine to five of the job and the normality of it all. The change had been a big shift in her, and she hadn’t always reacted well to change. But for now she had forced herself to focus on the children and thrown herself into planning fun things for them.

The first of which was tonight.

Spending all week planning she had probably neglected her duties at the Programme, ignoring the children for the most part and letting them get away with murder. All to ensure this party was right. She’d sent out invitations to the parents or ensured that only those invited would be able to attend. Losing her job because she allowed some random muggles to wander in to the party probably wouldn’t be a good enough reason in her own mother’s eyes. But she just needed it to be perfect for the kids. As a muggleborn herself she held a soft spot for the clueless children and parents now being sucked into this world. Something they never asked for. But something they needed to embrace. Something she definitely wanted to help them with.

So that was what this over exaggerated parents evening was for. Organising snacks and drinks and music for the night had been easy enough. Ensuring security and safety less so. Getting the parents to actually come a bit more difficult but as she stood at the top of the room she beamed, pleased with the turn out. Her small frame needed to now command the room. Suddenly her usual outgoing self was a little anxious. Silently cursing herself she fiddled with the hem of her dress, wishing she had a microphone to hold to keep her hands busy. Instead she cast a quick sonorous and cleared her throat to get everyone’s attention.

“Hello everyone! Thank you all for coming tonight!” pausing for a second she looked around the room, shooting a brief look to Mr Lugg, her colleague before continuing. “I’m Ms Murphy one of the new Pre-Hogwarts Programme teachers. Getting your Children all ready for Hogwarts! Call me Maj. I’ve decided to throw this mixer because as a Muggleborn coming to Hogwarts and into the magical world I’ve realised it’s not always easy to adjust to everything. You might have questions about things or else want to voice some concerns. Even just to speak to some other parents that are in the same boat as you” Grinning widely, she continued on her inner city Dublin accent heavy as ever  “And I guess you brought the kids along just for a bit of fun. Myself and @Mr Lugg will be here if you’d like to speak with us. And @Mr McRobbie is around here somewhere too. Enjoy!”  Stepping back she nibbled at her lip, waving her wand to return her voice to its normal brash loudness. The charm hadn’t added that much of a difference truthfully, but it was always nice it have a back up.

Giving Mr Lugg a small smile she hissed at him, not too shabby for a Friday evening anyway. “I think that went okay?”

Welcome to Ms Murphy First Annual Muggleborn Mixer. Ms Murphy was herself at one stage a clueless muggleborn coming into this weird and wonderful world, and as a result has a bit of a soft spot for muggleborns. She’s decided to throw a big grand party just for everyone to get to know each other and for the students to have a bit of fun

While it's aimed at Muggleborns and their parents, there is nothing to stop half bloods or purebloods sneaking in for a party too

Feel free to roleplay your parents as NPCs and interact with the PHP instructors. Enjoy!

Edited by Ms Murphy

Aster Darling

Aster had thought she hid the Ms. Murphy First Annual Muggleborn Mixer. While she was excited about the mixer, and thought it would be a lot of fun, Jessica could be a bit much. When Jessica found the notice, Aster heard a loud squeal from downstairs.

"ASTER-BLOSSOM! Why didn't you tell me about this?!" Jessica demanded. She was a pretty woman in her early thirties with long flowing blond hair she always wore down. She generally wore long skirts and tank tops. She taught yoga for a living.  "I can actually go to your school? Isn't this wonderful?! Won't this be fun? Oh Aster! Maybe we can wear matching dresses?!!" Jessica squealed in excitement as she bounced.

"...Yeah. Maybe." Aster said less excitedly Jessica exited the room. 

She spent the next week hearing about it.

"...Maybe they will let me go to lessons with you all the time!"

".....Maybe I can figure out how to home school you!"

'.... Maybe, Maybe Maybe."

Aster loved Jessica, and they usually had a lot of fun together, but sometimes Aster enjoyed their time away from each other, and now their worlds were colliding, and she wasn't sure how she felt about that.

When it was finally time for the party, Aster convinced Jessica it was not normal for them to dress in the same outfit, but she would wear the same color, so they both had blue on, and Jessica was over the top excited about everything that had to do with getting to her school, being a bit loud, and a bit giggling. Aster blushed as a few people looked her way.

They finally grabbed some food (Not a lot, because Jessica was there, and they weren't eating much that was on menu), when Jessica glanced around, and squinted. "Isn't that the little boy next door? Dominic?" She asked pointing him out in the crowd. "Oh it is! Oh Aster we should go say hello! Let's go!" And with that Jessica dragged her towards Dominic and his parents, a huge grin on her face.

"Namaste!" Jessica said politely to Dominic's mum and dad. "We live next door. Fancy meeting you here eh?"

Dominic Shepherd

"Oh my god, Ed... Eddy, honey... ED!" his mother hissed, elbowing his father furiously in order to gain his attention. Edward finally excused himself and turned to his wife, looking mildly annoyed at her behaviour but dutifully following her eyes as they were carelessly glued on a familiar figure. In fact, it looked just like Ms. Darling, from next door...

"It's that woman! From next door Eddy! Can you believe? That anti-vaxxer that smells like sandalwood and brought us flaxseed muffins..." she continued, her voice trailing into a whisper as she confirmed Dominic's suspicions. He hadn't thought about all the people he would be leaving behind at school, let alone any thoughts pertaining to Aster Darling. Unlike his mother, he had the sense to be slightly more inconspicuous as he spied on the pair across the room. He tugged on his mother's dress as he noticed them advancing, something they should have probably predicting seeing as they were the friendly sort. 

His parents plastered polite smiles, and Dominic couldn't help but mirror them-- his grin genuinely unfurling as soon as Ms. Darling addressed them. "Ah, yes. Hello. We haven't been formally introduced. I'm Amelia, and this is my husband Edward...and you must know Dominic from school." his mother continued her well-mannered charade, as if she hadn't been gossiping about them just two seconds ago. 

Dom halfheartedly waved at Aster, looking back and forth between their parents and wondering if they should leave them to their own devices and wander off on their own. "Want to go grab another glass?" he offered, pointing towards the refreshment table. 

Edited by Dominic Shepherd

Aster Darling

Aster wasn't expecting Domino to be like her. There was a part of her, a tiny part of her that felt a bit sad. Jessica told her she was special. Jessica lied. If Domino was special, then she wasn't all that special at all. Still, Jessica seemed to not notice Domino's parents we whispering about her. Of course Jessica tends to ignore things like that. Often Jessica pointed out that people often spoke of things they misunderstood because they feared them.

Jessica was wise like that.

"Hello Amelia, Edward!" Jessica had a bright smile on her face as she peered down at the boy, apparently named Dominic. "I am Jessica, and this is Aster." Jessica introduced her, and Aster waved at them. "It is so nice to officially meet you. I hope you enjoyed the muffins. Aster made them for you. She thought it was what you do when new people move to the neighbourhood, so I thought why not!" Jessica laughed, and ran her hand through Aster's curls, tugging at one of her knots. The young girl made a face.

When Mino asked if she wanted another glass, Aster nodded. "Okay. Jessica, I'll be back." She told her, and her mother waved her off as she began talking about the benefits of Flaxseed, and how you can use them as replacements in many recipes.

Once she was away from Jessica, Aster smiled at Dominic. "I didn't realize you went here!" She exclaimed reaching in her pocket and tugging out a cookie. They were always in her pocket. "Want a cookie?"

Dominic Shepherd

The cookie was probably soiled with fibers from the fabric of her dress (and probably a million other microscopic things), which probably wouldn't bother anyone else, but Dominic wasn't just anybody. He was very particular about what he put in his mouth, though the biscuit looked to be the same kind of jaffa cakes his mum brought home from the store. "Think we've got some of those at home. We go through them so fast... I'll pass, we had supper before coming." he fibbed, something that came as easily to him as it did his mother.

Honestly, he should really look into drama school.

"Do you think anyone else from our school got accepted to Hogwarts? Mum made it sound like this school was supposed to be super exclusive, so needless to say it's a bit surprising to see you here." he steered the conversation away from the proffered treat and busied himself with grabbing a cup and pouring himself some pumpkin juice. It took him a moment to realize that what he'd just said could be easily misconstrued. "It's cool though. It'll be nice to have a friend ...' Friend? They didn't even run in the same tax bracket. '... a familiar face and all." he cleared his throat, again wondering why he was having such a hard time engaging in conversation.

"Erm... what does your mum think about all of these? Heard you were nearly home schooled again last year. She even gonna really let you go?" 

Foot in mouth syndrome. He definitely suffered from that... he wondered if there was a magical cure for his ailment. 

Edited by Dominic Shepherd

Aster Darling

Aster enjoyed what she called her Pocket biscuit . She had no idea how they got there, but they were there whenever she wanted a biscuit. She thought about biscuits and they appeared. It's always been like that. Jessica didn't let her have biscuits. She told Aster they were bad, but she enjoyed them. She had her first cookie when she was five. It was by mistake actually. One of her friends gave her one, and she loved them. Jessica got really upset and was practically in tears trying to rip it out of Aster's hands before the small girl shoved it in her mouth. It was too late. From that point on, the pocket biscuits started appearing in her pocket. Aster was a little let down that Domino didn't want one. "Your loss, Domino." She said softly, taking a bite of the biscuit.

Aster did wonder if anyone else was joining them. This was her second year at school, up until this point Jessica had home schooled her, and Aster knew she considered doing it again. She nearly was pulled out of classes last year when their teacher took Aster to a school trip to a zoo, stating that it was barbaric, and she couldn't believe she subjected her child to that cruelty. Still, she noticed how Dominic seemed hesitant speaking to her, and her blue eyes peered curiously. "You don't have to pretend to be nice." She told him.  Pretending to be something she was not has never been her thing. "We aren't really friends are we? You never really tried to get to know me." 

Was she being a bit forward? Perhaps, but he never has. 

"Jessica isn't really that comfortable with idea, but our Ministry official told her that Home Schooling me was out of the question, so I am going." Then she glanced around. "I also think he might be giving her something to calm her down? She is always a bit calmer after he visits." 

Amelia Martin

amelia martin

VH39 - ACTIVITY DAY #2 - WC: 404

"Mom, we don't really have to go," Amelia whined, as they all got into one of Step-Dale's cars. The driver, Luke, rolled his eyes at her antics, to which the blonde sent him a stink-eye in reply. Honestly, there was no reason to be so rude. The fact of the matter was that Pre-Hogwarts Program--the program she had been enrolled into (so that her parents had somewhere to dump her during their working days)--was throwing a mixer for Muggleborn parents and children at the Ottaline Gambol Center. Amelia was absolutely not a Muggleborn, but seeing as how her stepfather was a Muggle, her own very magical mother had thought it would be a good idea to attend. So that Dale (who Amy fondly referred to as Step-Dale) could feel more included in Amy's education.

Whatever.

She was being forced to go and it was sure to be a snoozefest. 

After all, the Gambol had always been rather boring. Except, of course, for that time that Dale (her friend, not her stepfather) and she had snuck out and gone to the cinema. Her parents didn't know about that, though. Amelia normally enjoyed mixers. They were fancy parties that her parents threw often at their estate. Her mother's wedding planning business often hosted them for donations to charities, celebrations, and more. Amy liked going to those because she got to wear her fanciest dresses and be the star of the show. There was sure to be no star of the mixer and she wasn't even allowed to wear a fancy dress. No, Amy was wearing a ridiculously expensive pear of dark-wash jean shorts, an off-the-shoulder pale yellow blouse, and a brand new pair of silver strappy sandals. Not the best way to impress people.

Not that Amelia Martin was trying to impress anyone here. She'd already experienced the idiocy of her classmates. 

When Luke opened the door, she scooted her way out and then waited for her parents to lead the way into the Gambol Center. There was already a sea of people; mostly adults. She didn't recognize any of them, but there were some kids that looked familiar. Amelia turned away from them and walked toward the refreshments table. As she did so, Amy could hear her parents start to take up conversation with someone. Once at the table, the blonde grabbed a bottle of filtered water, not noticing the two other kids already there.

Edited by Amelia Martin
updating contents

Verity Doran

VERITY DORAN ː vh39 unsort

ACTIVITY DAY TWOATTENDANCEWORD COUNT 249     

Well, this was awkward.  Verity was, officially, the only person here without a parent and/or guardian.  She’d done two laps of the room, ducking between groups of chattering families and hovering by the punch bowl for waaaay too long in search of somebody in the same predicament, but it was a lost cause.  Her Aunt and Uncle were the flakiest parental units at PHP, which wasn’t that surprising considering they were also the flakiest people at her online school meet ups.  And dentist appointments.  And birthdays.

Okay, enough of that, time to move on.  What was the new plan?  Attach herself to an unsuspecting family?  Or maybe it was time pull out ye olde ‘my parents ran to the washroom, they’ll be back any minute now.’  Verity wrinkled her nose.  Nah, she wasn’t gonna start lying to make Aunt Liv look like she actually cared about Hogwarts stuff.  Best to keep up the rotation and try to meet a few people so the night wouldn’t be total wash.

Verity headed back over to the snack table.  Liv had sent her out the door without dinner, so she was extra quick to load a plate up with a couple mini sausage rolls and some samosa-looking things.  After a tiny hesitation, she grabbed a cup of pumpkin juice, too.  If she was gonna commit to a magical lifestyle, she might as well develop a taste for wizarding beverages, right?  Verity took a tiny sip and gagged.  Okay.  Maybe not.

Mira Skydel

Mira felt ridiculous.
Not only had she shown up in her fairly threadbare school robes assuming that because the party had something to do with Hogwarts, it was expected of her. It was going to take all her courage and a few white lies to make it seem as though she had done it on purpose, should she work up the courage to walk into the crowds of people. Not that she hated her robes of course, she actually enjoyed wearing them, for some reason they made her feel closer to the magical world she was still a novice to. 

She already knew her parents didn't care enough to come along, in fact, she suspected the only reason they had let her leave was so they wouldn't have to worry about her themselves. But for some foolish reason she thought other students would have been in the same boat as herself. Peering through the entrance had put a quick end to those thoughts, and instead she was filled with a glowing sense of embarrassment. She had been walking around the entrance for a while now, and the mingling of crowds was now well underway. Several of the other groups had asked her why she was standing outside on her own, in her hastiness to seem normal she had blurted out to them that she was simply waiting for her parents who had "Gone off to power their noses" she didn't even know what that meant, but it seemed to satisfy people curiosities enough, as well as give them a good chuckle it seemed.

She had scanned the crowds only spying one other student who seemed to be on their own, a girl, @Verity Doran"Surely if she can work up the courage to walk around by herself, then so can you. You don't want to be an embarrassment before your first day do you?" she thought to herself. "Dammit" she hissed to herself, "I don't even like parties" she added as she lifted her head high and strolled into the room with the others.

To say that she was intimidated by the larger crowds now surrounding her at every side would have been an understatement, but she was still brimming with a determination to stand her ground. She tried standing next to the groups of people, waiting to jump into the conversation, but before long discovered that she had nothing to say. This happened several more times with several groups before she finally gave up, the thoughts of doubt creeping into her mind. Everyone was talking about magic of one kind or another, she was ashamed to show her lack of knowledge about the magical world, that, after all, was why she had come to Hogwarts. She wanted to learn more about the magical world, she was determined to learn as much as she could as quickly as she could. She was sick of being picked on, sick of feeling like the odd one out. "One day...." she thought to herself. 

"I don't even know what a portkey is! Why do people keep talking about it!" she thought to herself as she walked away, her eyes then drifted to one of the several tables in the room, around which several people were gathered. "Food!" she thought, a sudden excited spring in her step. "Now there is one thing I can't mess up"  she beamed as she made her way over. She hungrily grabbed one of the pastries and scoffed it down, she then put a few others in her pocket for her trip back home. Her eyes scanned the top of the table, eventually settling on the tall glasses of orange liquid. "Orange juice! My favourite! Hey maybe this place isn't so bad" she thought to herself as she quickly grabbed herself a glass. Taking a big gulp of the liquid she quickly found herself spitting it back out, garnering a few strange looks from the other party goers. "Gross!" she complained as her face scrunched up, "It tastes like dirt!" she added as she stuck her tongue out. She quickly looked around to see if any of the others were paying attention to her antics.

Margarleon Turpentine

M A R G A R L E O N  T U R P E N T I N E

VH THIRTY-NINE 182 WORDS                    

Margarleon and @Darby Turpentine were not muggleborns. Nor were either of their parents. But of course their parents had used this Muggleborn Mixer as an excuse to leave Darby and Leon for the night somewhere "supervised." They hadn't bothered to attend, despite the purpose of the event being for parents and their children. Leon rolled his eyes, his arms across his chest as he brooded in a corner, watching everyone in the room.

His eyes passed over @Amelia Martin and his lip curled up in distaste. But then, his eyes landed on a beautiful sight. A snack table. A table full of food. He immediately made his way over towards it, his stomach awakened and grumbling in anticipation. He chugged a cup of pumpkin juice before stuffing some of the food in his mouth, not really caring what it was.

He watched as a girl (@Mira Skydel) spit out her pumpkin juice everywhere. “Now, that’s a waste of good pumpkin juice," He chastised her, stepping across from her and wagging a finger. "What did that pumpkin juice do to you, eh?” He asked before rudely stuffing something fried into his mouth and chewing with his mouth open (Leon had never been taught manners) as he eyed the girl.

Edited by Margarleon Turpentine

Mira Skydel

"Pumpkin juice?!" she said in disgust as the sat the cup back on the table with the others. "Why would you ever make a juice out of pumpkins?" she added as she wiped her mouth on her already dirty sleeve. Mira's eyes suddenly widened at realising someone had seen her just spit all over the floor. "It tastes like dirt" she said, trying to regain her composure as best she could. Mira gave @Margarleon Turpentine a bit of a strange look as she saw him chewing loudly as he spoke to her. "Surely the teach manners in the magical world" she thought to herself. Mira then wiped her hand on her robes and held it out to him. "My name's Mira" she said. Mira wasn't the best at social interactions, but she figured saying hello and offering a handshake was the best way to start. "I'd try the sausage rolls, they are pretty nice" she added. "So um, you come to these parties often?" she asked. "Dumb question" she thought to herself.

Margarleon Turpentine

Interaction Post

His shoulders lifted into a shrug. “You should prolly get used to it,” He told her, swallowing down the bite of food he’d taken. “It’s pretty normal in the magical world. Pumpkin juice is like wizard’s orange juice. I’s not bad,” He told her, as if he expected her taste buds just to change for him saying so.

“Leon,” He told her, eyeing the hand she offered before hurriedly shaking it, his own hand sweaty and likely still with food grub left on his fingers. “Sausage rolls?” Leon asked, eyes moving away from @Mira Skydel and back to the table, his eyes devouring the food arrayed there as he went. He wasn’t picky, he’d take it all. “Eh? Well this is the first one, innit? But yeah, my parents like dropping my sister and I off here whenever they can,” Leon admitted candidly, but it was a fact he likely thought true of a lot of the parents.

Who didn’t like free babysitting? Spying what looked to be a sausage roll, Leon grabbed one and stuffed a bite into his mouth. This time, he managed to chew before giving Mira a thumbs-up. Granted, he was of the opinion that any food was good food.

Edited by Margarleon Turpentine

Mira Skydel

Mira smiled as she wiped her hands on her robes, she then moved to fetch herself another sausage roll. "So are you and your sister both first-years?" she asked before taking a bite of her snack, "Oh and your parents didn't come as well?" she said, breathing a sigh of relief and feeling just a little bit more comfortable. "I was worried mine were the only ones" she said with a small nervous laugh. Mira suspected that the reason Leon's parents hadn't come was different to her own. "I feel a little silly" she added as she took another bite. "See I thought that because this thing had something to do with school, I should wear my robes.... clearly that was wrong" she said as she gestured to the crowds.

Chaol Edevane

There was no way he was bringing his foster family to this event. He'd seen the notice for the party had had deliberately told his foster mother that it was an extra activity for new students going to school. No one at his house knew that he was going to be trained as a wizard and he would rather keep it that way. This was his and his alone.

There were plenty of fellow muggleborns here thankfully, so he wasn't completely by himself. Chaol thought he could see a few who definitely weren't muggleborn, but who was he to judge? Taking a bite of his roll, he watched Leon chat up a girl whose name he couldn't remember for the life of him.

"Definitely not the only one," he said to @Mira Skydel. "My folks aren't here either. Better that way, eh?"

Mira Skydel

"Yeah well, parents are over-rated anyway" she said, herself not completely believing her own words. "I'm Mira" she said as she wiped her hands on her robes and held it out to @Chaol Edevane. "Looks like we might be able to start our own 'Parent's who don't care club' " she said with a small laugh. "You idiot, just because your parents don't care, doesn't mean all parents don't care" she thought to herself. "You should try the sausage rolls" she said quickly as she pointed at the table, hoping to move the conversation away from such a gloomy subject. "But you might want to avoid the dirt juice" she said as she pointed at one of the tall classes of Pumpkin juice.

"So you're a muggle-born as well?" she asked, "Of course he is, he's at the party you idiot" she heard her thoughts whisper. Mira was starting to feel a bit more comfortable knowing that the people around her were in something of a similar situation to herself. "Anyone else in your family magic? Or is it just you?" she asked.

Chaol Edevane

"Yup." It wasn't the first time he'd been asked about his blood status, nor did he think it would be the last. The emphasis on blood was weird to him: why did it matter if he grew up around magic if he was able to perform it himself? It seemed like one of those things that should have been done away with long ago, like paying women less than men for the same work or denying people basic human rights.

At her mention of sausage rolls, Chaol held up the one he'd almost finished. "Just me. Don't have much family to speak of, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first wizard. How about you?"

Margarleon Turpentine

Interaction Post

Leon nodded. “Yeah, Darby’s less than a year younger and since I was born in November, we both are sorting this year,” He stated. No point in lying and saying he and Darby were traditional twins. He bobbed his head as Mira confirmed that his parents weren’t there, but was truly getting more and more distracted by the food. Which was why, when Chaol came up and distracted Mira, he took that as an opportunity to take his leave and go pursue something delectable looking further down the table.

“Catch ya later, Mira,” He told the girl, giving her a wave and then clapping Chaol on the back. “Nice seein’ ya, Cole.” He still didn’t know how to pronounce Chaol’s name properly. Maybe the boy would correct him one day, maybe not.

It was a mystery. But what wasn’t a mystery was that Leon would no doubt eat far too much that night.

Mira Skydel

Mira gave Leon a little wave as he walked away. "I'd wipe the grease off of your shoulder" she said once Leon was far enough away. "He's a bit of a messy eater" she added. "And I guess we're in the same boat. I'm the only one in my family who's magical, I guess you're parents were as furious as mine when they found out" she said with a small laugh. 

"Oh and a word of advice" she said as she leaned in a little closer. "I wouldn't trust most of the food around here" she said quietly, "I've heard it does all sorts of weird stuff" she said in a hushed tone. "I saw a girl eat a frog that came to life in her mouth"

Chaol Edevane

Nodding to Leon as he moved away to other matters, Chaol finished off the last of his roll. At the girl's guess that his parents must have been furious at finding out he was a wizard, he shrugged. Only his foster mother knew the truth about why one of the PHP instructors came to their home, and that was entirely conditional on him being in her care--once he left, she'd lose any knowledge of the information.

"Mine were more surprised than anything else," he replied. "Though she was a bit relieved to find out there was a reason things were weird around me."

His lips twitched as the girl warned him against most of the food here. "Must have been a good one if she didn't freak about it."