Robin Bagley

Darkness falls across the land; the midnight hour is close at hand

Robin Bagley

A few days ago, at breakfast, a rather tired looking school owl had dumped a large package into Robin's bowl of Wizard-Os (now with Real Colour Changing Marshmallows!) at the Gryffindor table.  She carefully extracted the now rather soggy package, absent-mindedly offered the owl a spoonful of Wizard-O's, and tore through the paper.

Inside, there was another layer of packaging, and a note in the loopy, flowy handwriting of Robin's mother.  It read:

Hi Love,

It's so strange to think how old you're getting and how many moons you have under your belt.  It seems like just yesterday you went off to Hogwarts, and just the day before that you were just beginning to crawl.  But the goddess has given you so much wisdom and grace, and the age of your womanhood is now waxing.  I know All Hallow's Eve is coming up, and I can only guess it's as important to your coven at Hogwarts as it is to my own kind of magick.  So I've sent you something I always enjoyed when I was your age: a way to reach through the mystical veil and reach into the great beyond.  I'm not sure if it's on your syllabus, but I always found it was great fun at a sleepover, usually right after midnight.  Hope you and your friends have fun with it.

Much love and blessings be,

Mum

Robin's mother had never really got Hogwarts, but Robin barely had time to think this as she tore into the packaging to find a lovingly packaged and slightly worn Ouija board.

And now, several days later, Robin was ready.  She'd worked hard (for once in her life) to send out the invitations on only her spookiest looking parchment.  11:00 PM, Halloween, Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom.  (She'd figured that being near an actual, genuine ghost might make the Ouija board work a little bit better.)  Light was flickering ominously from a couple of candles she'd pilfered from the Gryffindor common room.  She drew her robes around herself, trying to feel as mysterious, eldritch, and grown up as possible - and saw the shape in the doorway of her first guest arriving.

Julian Pritchard

Ghost weren’t a much discussed topic at Hogwarts. This was a shame, as far as Julian was concerned. He found the fact that people treated the existence of ghosts and the fact that you could pass one in every other staircase at Hogwarts as totally mundane completely bewildering. That the school offered muggle studies and not ghost studies was infuriating. Julian really wanted to know more about them, and opportunities were few and far between.

Perhaps it was this curiosity that led him to take Robin’s invitation, despite the fact that it was past curfew and in a girls bathroom and they were most certainly going to get in trouble (and despite the fact that he regarded Ouija Boards - and anything associated with a muggle’s definition of the ‘occult’ - with the carefully cultivated skepticism of a scientist’s son). Mostly, though, he didn’t want to risk offending her by not showing up.

“Hi,” Julian told Robin as he walked in, five minutes early as was his wont. His voice rang loudly in the empty bathroom, at odds with the somber atmosphere created by the candles. He squinted at her in the dim lighting.  “Am I the first one here? Do you really think this will work?”

Alyssa Hoofer

Alyssa had debated on whether or not she was going to go. She didn’t know Robin too well, and she wasn’t too sure about using an ouija board. She didn’t exactly scare easily when it came to ghosts, but what if she made a fool out of herself? What if something startled her, and everyone thought she was terrified, so they fun of her. She’d stared at her invitation for the longest time before she finally made her way up to Moaning Myrtles bathroom. She had to be very careful as it was after curfew. It seemed luck was on her side, she didn’t even run into any ghosts on the way up. It was a bit funny considering what she was going up to do.

When she arrived, it was to find just Robin and Julian in the bathroom. The bathroom was dark except for some candles flickering. It was a bit eery.

“Hi,” she said as she entered. “Is anyone else coming?”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.