Madam Wilde-Hextor

Seminar: Don't Drop the Quaffle!

Madam Wilde-Hextor

The last time she’d hosted a seminar, Twila had been super excited to be going back to Hogwarts. Now, it felt just like any other day for the newly hired Flying Instructor. She was standing on the quidditch pitch (finally returned to its former glory!) holding a quaffle and surrounded by the school’s broom supply. Twila was wearing her usual quidditch gear minus the outer robe - the sky was dark overhead and a very light rain was falling, and she didn’t want to be weighed down by wet robes if the rain intensified before the seminar finished.

It seemed that students had shown up despite the less than perfect weather conditions, and Twila smiled warmly at them. “Hello! Many of you may already know me from my seminar last year or from flying lessons this year but in case you don’t, I’m Madam Wilde-Hextor. But that’s quite the mouthful so you can call me Twila if you’d like. Today we’re going to be doing some chasing practice! Being a really good chaser is about more than just the flying skills and quaffle handling, it’s about teamwork! Good chasers become great chasers when they work together well.”

Twila absentmindedly threw the quaffle from hand to hand a few times as she paused thoughtfully. “When we get started, you’ll have a few minutes to warm up your flying. If you didn’t bring a broom, I’ve got plenty here for you to use. Then, after everyone’s warmed up, I’ll whistle to indicate that we’ll be starting on a passing drill. The goal is simple: to pass the quaffle. As soon as the ball comes to you, pass it to the next person. I want you to be speedy but remember that speed is nothing without accuracy. And don’t forget to keep the weather conditions in mind! The quaffle will probably be a little bit slippery because of the … is this even rain? Almost rain? Whatever this is. Anyway, let’s see how many passes in a row you can all get, yeah?”

With that, the instructor quietly commanded her own broom into her hand and took flight, gesturing to the skies to indicate that the students should follow suit. For the next several minutes, she went through her own warm up routine. Then, she blew her whistle. “OKAY HERE WE GO!” She waved the quaffle over her head, then called out a “Heads up!” to someone nearby before throwing it at them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello and welcome to another quidditch seminar. I’m excited to be your host!

In this seminar, we’ll be working on chasing skills. Specifically, passing the quaffle! In character, you have collectively been given the mission of having as many consecutive passes as possible. You may roleplay this as you’d like but try not to end your post holding the quaffle so that everyone else can still play. (Don’t want to pass the quaffle? Maybe you drop it or maybe you miss the pass that came your way!)

Your optional out of character objective is to coordinate with the other seminar participants and work together to get as many passes in a minute as you can. I would recommend using the #quidapocalypse channel in the VH Discord server.

How do I earn QP for the seminar? That’s a great question! I’ll update this post once more information about that has been released. For right now, I would recommend making a post of at least 100 words. This seminar will be open all VH year. I’ll be closely monitoring it for the next week, but I’ll try to keep an eye on it after that too!  

Zara Anguariz

Post #1

To her delight, the quiddith seminars were back. Unfortunately this meant that the regular quidditch season was going to cease to exist. Dreams of regaining the quidditch cup that had been won during her first year were dashed. Even though this was the case, Zara was going to make sure to keep up her quidditch skills just in case she decided to try out for a professional quidditch team.

The first seminar was on chasing. It was her least favorite position. The Slytherin wanted to get better at it so she could be a more well rounded quidditch playing. Madam Twila was teaching the course. "Hi there. Let me know if you need any help."

For the first task, they were going to be passing the quaffle back and forth. This sounded simple since she had done this drill many times during early morning quidditch practice. Zara caught a quaffle that was passed to her and looked around the pitch to see if she could find a worthy opponent to practice her skills. "Hey you there. Let's practice together."

WC: 179

Edited by Zara Anguariz

Madam Wilde-Hextor

"Oi, @Zara Anguariz!" Twila called to the flying assistant who'd caught the one and only quaffle and who now appeared to be trying to pair up and effectively hog said quaffle. "We're all working together as a team. You can't just buddy up with your friends, because on the quidditch pitch you're not always going to be able to decide who the other chasers are that your team is playing, yeah? This is about everyone learning to work together." 

She then yelled with all the volume of her old captaining days, "NOW PASS THE QUAFFLE!" The tone of the yell suggested that Twila might come take the quaffle if it was not passed soon. (For the record, Twila was not above blatching her assistants if they refused to follow instructions.)

Sabine Frost

Sabine checked the notice. Then she checked it again before consulting the school rules – before reading the notice a final time. No, no reference to first-years – either positive or negative.

Sabine was curious about Quidditch. She’d seen one game live and still took a cuddly Monty – the name she’d given to her Montrose Magpies toy mascot – to bed with her (and was sure none of the other Ravenclaw’s had spotted it). But the whole, first years can’t bring a broom with them’ had dulled her interest a little. But her first flying lesson had reinvigorated her interest. So she’d signed up for the seminar, figuring the blending of her theoretical knowledge, with first-hand advice from the Professor (who wasn’t a Professor but a Madam)  would be invaluable.

The weather was not ideal, but it could not dampen Sabine’s excitement. So, she stood there, her face growing progressively damper as she listened.

Given her size, Sabine could never imagine being a beater or even a keeper. If she was going to have any success in the sport, surely a chaser would be the best position for her. As she listened, she glanced down. Anticipating the line of brooms were there for a reason, she had nonchalantly stood next to the one that looked the least abused – so once they were given the green-light to warm up, she’d grabbed it quickly.

Not that Sabine was foolish enough to confuse enthusiasm with ability. She was OK as a flyer, but catching? Given the requirement for the role, that might be her weakest link. But she’d practiced with a rubber ball against a wall in preparation. She’d even drawn up a schedule of practice and was going to ask her homework buddy if they could incorporate Quidditch in their existing rota.

And then she was off, flying around, warming up her muscles and doing her best to ignore the rain – wondering if she should take the goggles out of her pocket and put them on. She felt self-conscious but on the other hand, it was less undignified than flying into a fellow student.

Alecia Yates

During the previous school year, Alecia had come back to Hogwarts for the second term after attending a school in Russia only to find that there were fun seminars. She was thrilled to find that this year they would be holding more seminars and fun games. With the excitement of this and clubs, the blond was determined to be part of everything and make new friends.

Rumor had it that the nice lady she had teamed up with last year was the new flying instructor. Alecia was even more thrilled that the first seminar of the year was going to be taught by her. "Hi Madam Wild. It is so nice to see you again. Can we throw spells at people and try to distract them from throwing the quaffle? I learned a new spell and want to try it out."

As if on cue, a quaffle headed straight towards her. It caught her by surprise. Instead of catching it, she dunked only to see it fly towards another one of her peers. "Sorry about that," she called out to the person who was having to deal with the quaffle.

Edited by Alecia Yates

Madam Wilde-Hextor

Twila was pleased to see at least one of her first year students in attendance, and she made sure to nod approvingly in @Sabine Frost's direction. 

Whlie she appreciated @Alecia Yates's enthusiasm for throwing spells, but that didn't mean she was going to allow such things in this seminar. Unfortunately not everything Twila did involved throwing fur jinxes and mud-slinging hexes (as much as she would've liked that).  "No, we can't use spells today, we're focusing on quidditch skills, not defense," she explained sternly.

She was contemplating awarding points to Gryffindor for such eagerness to practice spells, but decided against it when Alecia dodged the quaffle. Honestly, Twila had given the students one job: to pass the quaffle. It should have been an easy task! Catch the quaffle, throw the quaffle to anyone. What was so hard about that?

Harmony Granger-Weasley

Post #1 

WC: 200 

Okay Harmony, concentrate. You can do this.

It had only been a little while since her first real flying lesson. Harmony was still getting used to the idea of feeling comfortable in the air and sky, but if she were going to be a legendary quidditch player like her family before her, she would have to get better. Practice made perfect, after all. It was much more fun being up in the air than er... practicing her homework. Which was rather boring and uninteresting, but she still recognized its importance. Besides, if she were to keep up the charade of not being brilliant, she didn't have to work on schoolwork all the time. When she felt comfortable enough with her chosen broom, she decided to join in on the fun. As she was flying, she watched the quaffe sail over the head of a ducking student, leaving Harmony to catch the quaffle herself. 

"Got it!" She yelled, before throwing it off to another person down the way who she hoped was paying enough attention. Then she directed her attention to Twila. "How was that? Do I need to work on improving anything? I felt like my throw wasn't great." 

Morty Gabor

Post One
WC: 167

Compared to the infamous Hurricane Match, a light drizzle was nothing to Morty A. Gabor. The sun might not be shining, but the French were gone, quidditch was making a comeback, and they were practicing chasing, which was Morty’s absolute favorite thing to do. Nothing was going to dampen her spirits today. The Ravenclaw nodded enthusiastically through Twila’s inspired observations about balancing speed, accuracy, and awareness. She positively bounded off the ground, and put herself fairly close to the quaffle in hopes of receiving one of the first passes.

When an ickle tossed the quaffle her way, Morty seized her opportunity. “Mine!” she called, though hopefully it was obvious to the other students that the quaffle was definitively in her airspace. Anticipating the quaffle’s trajectory, Morty adjusted her own course and scooped the ball deftly out of the air. Receive, control, and pass—it was a rhythm she knew by heart. Morty quickly selected a student within range of a modest pass and tossed the quaffle onward.

Desmond Potter

Desmond Potter | Post One | 145 Words

What was happening with the quidditch cup at Hogwarts. Desmond was a fifth year and has only played in two season at school. There shouldn’t have been anything that was stopping it from happening. Making his way to the pitch, the new flying professor had something happening. Something about not dropping the quaffle. That was something Desmond was good at, when he was playing a chaser in a game. 

He got an interception from @Alayna Weasley

Other than that he didn’t care about being a chaser, but he showed up. Why? Because it was something he felt like he needed to do. Still not knowing what was happening. But he got on his brow and was trying to find the quaffle. “Where is it?” Wasn’t someone supposed to be passing it towards him or something. 

This was boring, at the moment. He wanted Quidditch back.

Zara Anguariz

Post #2

Well of course they were supposed to be working as a team. Zara was warming up and getting ready to pass the quaffle to her peers. For a few minutes, Zara watched her peers practice passing the quaffle. The Slytherin was disappointed that there wasn't a regular quidditch cup game for the second year in a row.  Even though there were seminars, it wasn't the same as getting up for early morning practices or feeling the wind in her hair while throwing a quaffle through the hoops only to realize that she scored a goal.

Would she have these good feelings again? Rumor had it that there might be a few games during the year where she could play with her team again. Zara's thoughts were broken into when she realized that someone had thrown a quaffle towards her. "This one is mine," she said. After catching the quaffle, Zara threw it to someone else.

Sabine Frost

Post#2

The time for warming-up (or rather looking busy and engaged without actually doing anything that might make you look foolish) was over. Sabine knew she was here to learn, not to pretend to participate and for a short while she shadowed the play, always a move behind the rest, not prepared to be bold and call out for the quaffle.

But a tall Slytherin girl caught it and Sabine seized her moment, holding a hand aloft and gaining eye contact with the thrower.

Even so, it was a surprise when the quaffle came her way. She didn’t so much catch the quaffle, as juggle it, before clutching it to her chest with a sigh of relief. Then, as if it were a hot potato, she threw it to the closest person to her.

Madam Wilde-Hextor

Considering that not everybody seemed to have the catching-and-throwing down, Twila was quite pleased with the skill @Harmony Granger-Weasley had displayed. After all, she had done what Twila had asked, and that was more than could be said of some of the other students in attendance. 

"Nah, I think that was a great start!" she complimented. "Of course there's always room for improvement, but it's a little hard to analyze your technique just based on the one pass." Twila didn't like giving feedback when she didn't really know the player she was coaching. She wanted to see more in order to give the right tips for Harmony, and for any other players who wanted her advice. "Keep at it and we can talk later if you'd like, yeah?" she suggested. "Go on and show me what you've got!" Twila encouraged with a grin, and she returned to watching the players. 

Eli Benoit

Post 1, 164 words

Considering Eli had deliberately gone flying in the middle of a thunderstorm the previous spring, the weather was almost a draw of the first quidditch seminar of the year. He was secretly egging mother nature on to unleash something a little bit stormier and dreaming about the day when he'd have the magical prowess to conjure up weather at will. The second year spent their warm up period just remembering how to fly after a summer off, and he kept an eye on Madam Wilde-Hextor and the older students for when he'd have the flying skills to merit a real warm up.

Once the time came, Eli lined himself up with the other students and caught the quaffle from one of the first years from his own house. He passed it immediately onward.

"You!" He called out to the pass's intended recipient. Names would help, but in their absence, this was the best he could do towards the goal of working as a team.

Edited by Eli Benoit

Seeley Pichardo

Post One | 123 Words

Simply because she made a habit of dragging @Desmond Potter into the dueling chamber so often that she figured she owed him that much, and the fact that there wasn't much else to do that afternoon, Seeley found herself up on a broom, passing a quaffle around.  At least they weren't on tricky prototype brooms again this time.  

"Huh?" The blonde turned to look at who'd shouted in her direction and soon enough she was catching the quaffle and searching for Des.  "Hey, head's up!  Catch!" She smiled at him and heaved it his way.  For once it actually was fun to be up in the air throwing the ball around and not having to worry about any bludgers trying to attack her.  

Desmond Potter

Desmond Potter | Post Two | 108 Words

He wanted quidditch backed, this wasn’t something that he was enjoying at all. He missed the house teams and all that jazz. But he was out here trying to not drop the quaffle and make sure that he was able to pass it to someone. The only good thing here was that Seeley was there and he went to get catch it, knowing that it was thrown to him. And he caught it, he didn’t drop it. That was a good thing, he hoped that someone would be able to catch it, since he was about to throw it and didn’t know who was there waiting for it. 

Cordelia Waldegrave

post one  wc: 146

If Cordelia had had a memory span longer than a goldfish, she might have recognized that Twila was the evil lady that had tried to murder everyone last year as a death eater, but luckily for her, she was blissfully ignorant. “But I want to find more snitches!” she whined from the back. “Quaffles are so dumb and red.”

Every time Cordy had been a seeker in a match she was constantly being distracted from her non Mercutio approved goal for the match, like hosting a tea party or slug bombing the opponents. And just like in those matches, the quaffle just wound up in her arms. “I don’t want you, you dented, sad excuse for a ball!” she shouted at it before tossing it behind her for someone more interested in red things to deal with. “I have a table and tea set to find.”

Zara Anguariz

Post #3

At least she was getting the hang of this and did it correctly. It was up to the young kids to catch it without getting injured. Since Zara was a prefect and had to be a good example, all she could do was sit there and watch in hopes that her throw would be successful. When the girl started to juggle the quaffle, Zara held her breath. To her relief, the quaffle was saved.

For a few moments, her mind went to another place. A place where there was no Newts and the quidditch cup was back. Zara was disappointed that it wasn't going to be held her last year at Hogwarts. Her thoughts were broken into when the slug queen decided to throw the quaffle towards her. Catching it, she yelled back, "You better not turn this thing into a slug." Zara threw the quaffle and hoped that it would be caught again.

Edited by Zara Anguariz

Eleanor Malverne

Post One

WC: 226

Eleanor was so great at so many things: being pretty, being smart, looking at her reflection with utmost longing, Transfiguring things into other things, being superior, and flying. The Slytherin so enjoyed the activity that she had signed up for extra Quidditch seminars as a way to practice, disappointed as she was that there didn't seem to be any other Quidditch related activity. Ellie had known prior to arriving at Hogwarts that her chances of making her House team were slim as a first year, so it was with a mixed feeling of relief and disappointment that she stepped onto the Pitch.

A light drizzle fell, which Eleanor did not like, but it seemed there were many other students on the Pitch today, including a Slytherin Prefect, which she did. It would be good to impress others with her skills. She took off on her school-issued broom and flew a few laps. She relished this relative freedom, compared to the stultifying environment of the first years' flying lessons. Soon, she was ready, and joined the crowd of students already passing and catching the Quaffle.

To her delight, the Slytherin Prefect she had noticed earlier threw it her way. Eleanor eagerly reached for it, and managed to grab it by the tips of her fingers, barely. Glowing with pride, she soon tossed it again, hoping to impress.

Morty Gabor

Post Two

WC: 143

Although she was aching for another chance at the quaffle Morty had been hanging back, letting some of the younger students get a pass or two in. The former captain remembered many practices spent in similar fundamentals drilling, just letting her newer players get a feel for the equipment. When a Slytherin first year made a close catch, Morty raised one hand from her broomstick and waved that she was open.

“Nice catch!” called Morty to the Slytherin girl, then scooped the quaffle and scanned for open players. She knew better than to pass to someone who wasn’t prepared, lest they have to perform the tiresome chore of quaffle-fetching.

“Heads up!” she called to her intended recipient as she passed it on. Morty didn’t throw as hard as she could, but she did try to put a little bit of pepper on it.

Sabine Frost
Post#3

Sabine was aware she’d been circling on the periphery again – her one half-decent catch giving her a false sense of her ability. So now, with the fact that others were touching the quaffle on a regular basis and she wasn’t firmly front and centre in her mind, she furrowed her brow and her usual smile weakened and she pointed her broom right into the thick of it. 

She aimed for the older girl, who had just signalled to receive a pass – and she deliberately moved into her eyeline. It worked, and she nodded her appreciation of the head’s up and was fortunate she was facing the girl directly.

Fortunate because the quaffle had some pace on it and she did not make a clean catch, but it hit her in the chest and she managed to close an arm around it before she dropped it. Was it stylish? Hardly. Was it effective? Yes. And she learned from the experience.

Then, taking the ball in one hand, she scanned her immediate vicinity before making a simple but effective pass to her nearest fellow competitor.  

Nicodemus Knight

Nico saw the first year receive the pass and nodded to himself. He wasn’t sure if they’d ever get the chance to take to the actual pitch together, but she definitely seemed to have potential.  She’d snagged the quaffle well, and threw it comfortably too.  Nico reached out and snagged the ball one handed and gave a nod to the young witch.  “Nice throw!”  He made a quick turn on his broom, scoping out the target for his pass, and identified a likely target.  “Heads up!”  Nico threw the ball to the person on the nearest broom in the direction he was now facing.

Post I

104 words

Eli Benoit

Post 2, 143 words

"I got it." Eli called. He was the pass's intended recipient, sure, but it was always good to say as much. The second year flew forward to catch the pass a little bit sooner in its course and watched it firmly into his hands before he looked up for another player to pass to.

They were mostly stationary, not dodging bludgers, and not guarded by a defense. It wasn't anywhere near a game situation. But he supposed he had to start somewhere, and adding catching and throwing to flying was a good first step, especially since he was trying it in front of that pair of older Ravenclaws.

"Coming your way!" He passed the quaffle onward.

In fact, he thought, not-a-game-situation aside, that string of Ravenclaw passes could almost have been the house team. Eli sat up a little straighter at the thought.

Eleanor Malverne

Post Two

WC: 147

Eleanor glowed with @Morty Gabor's praise. She had been recognized her very first night at Hogwarts, when the Slytherin Prefects had forced the first years to fly, and now she had gone beyond mere flying to the rudiments of Quidditch. Ellie did not take that kind of support lightly, especially from an older student from another House.

Plus, she always enjoyed compliments.

Eleanor soared off in a loop, enjoying the feel of the wind, before re-joining the circle. It was a bit odd that mainly Ravenclaws seemed to be doing all the catching and passing, and it was with a sense of relief and pride that she managed to catch another pass her way, from a second year Ravenclaw she did not know.

Turning in a curlicue, Eleanor lobbed the Quaffle at the next nearest person, hoping her passing was as up to snuff as her catching.

Nicodemus Knight

Nico turned his attention to see who Morty had complimented and nodded.  He got a chance to see her in action just a few seconds later when Eli threw the quaffle back in her direction.  “Morty’s right, you’ve definitely got some potential there.  Too bad you’re not a Ravenclaw.”  It probably wouldn’t honestly matter much to Nico, since he wouldn’t be suiting up in the blue and bronze in an actual Cup quidditch match, but he suspected that house pride would never die for him.  He snagged her pass and threw it on to another flier he’d seen in his peripheral vision, all in one motion.  “Nice throw, too.”

Post II

109 words

Sabine Frost

Post#4

Sabine turned her broom back into the thick of the action. It was only an old school broom, but the hours she had put in on this specific broom meant she was familiar with its handling. It wasn’t the fastest, or the best at acceleration, or even cornering. But she knew how far she could push it – and its limitations.  

She swooped around at just the right moment and spotted a fellow ‘Claw ready to pass the quaffle. She raised a hand and was delighted that, despite not being directly in line with where he was looking, he spotted her and sent a pass her way.

Her catch wasn’t the most graceful, given she was at close to top speed on this broom and cornering too – but she held it to her chest before holding it in one hand and throwing a short pass to her nearest fellow flyer. “Good spot,” she said to Nico, as she completed her pass.

Edited by Sabine Frost

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.