Sign in to follow this  
Killian Dracel

Example Match: Jaxon vs Killian

Killian Dracel

Killian was crazy.

He had a full plate as it was, and now here he was, adding in a Club on top of everything else he had going on in his life. He was a hard worker. Diligent in his research for Professor Bourdelle a couple years ago, and now here he was, teaching assistant to Professor Knaggs, working hard to help teach the younger students how to pass the tough Professor's class unscathed.

It was not an easy job.

This week, the club was meeting in the Great Hall after dinner, and there were a few boards set up at the end of the Ravenclaw table. He nodded to a few people on his arrival, and sat down at a board with a younger student, waiting for an opponent. "Jaxon," Killian greeted, dropping his bag off to the side. "Mind if I join you?"

Edited by Killian Dracel

Jaxon Sinclair

Having never actually formally met Killian Dracel (but having heard plenty from his sister) Jack was a little bit...less than enthusiastic about the prospect of being involved in a venture that meant spending time with him.  However, the boy had always been logical minded and chess, muggle or wizarding, provided an outlet for such a thought process.

He hadn't expected to run into him quite so soon though and a set of blue eyes widened behind thick glasses, which Jack carefully adjusted before blinking down at the board spread out before him.

Jack had managed to piss Damaris off in about 2.3 seconds, so he suspected this encounter would be equally productive in terms of civil conversation, but he motioned for the chair across from him anyway.  "Go right ahead," he offered quietly.  

Edited by Jaxon Sinclair

Jaxon Sinclair

As of yet, nothing had been smashed.  

That was unfortunate.

Jack eyed the board suspiciously.  Truthfully, he didn't play chess as often as he would have liked.  He lacked the patience required for a game like this.  Strategy was all well and good, but when it came with blinding an opponent, making them cower in fear, or setting them on fire...well, that just made for better entertainment.  It was fine to watch stone pieces smash each other apart...but that only held value for so long and neither of them had managed it quite yet.

The second year tapped his fingers against his bottom lip, waiting not-so-patiently for Killian's next move before he finally (finally) said something.

"I heard you put a first year in a cage," he said flatly.  "Did you leave her there?"

Killian Dracel

To Post #5

"I did," Killian confirmed with a nod. He looked from the board to Jaxon, curiously. It wasn't like he was in that class, so that must mean word was traveling around the castle. Oddly, it was satisfying to know. "But, I didn't leave her there," he added for good measure. "She just deserved a little time out. I don't think I've ever known any other student demand to have someone else do their homework for them because 'they were above such things'. Oh yeah, she said that," he continued.

Shaking his head, he peered at the board, watching the white King with keen interest. "I just wanted to show her....... that there are no free rides at Hogwarts, along with the fact that she could do some interesting things if she just applied herself."

He chuckled. "How are you in your classes? Good grades, hopefully. Slytherin has high standards. Pawn to G5."

Edited by Killian Dracel

Jaxon Sinclair

Jack hummed thoughtfully, surveying the board as Killian spoke.  He had heard of it from Dorian, who had heard about it from another first year, all of it regarding some Hufflepuff brat named Margot.  "Word travels fast when someone is as awful as she's supposed to be," he drawled, propping his chin up in his palm.  "Another first year talked to me about it in the dueling chamber.  Something about she wants her 'handmaiden' to come with her to Hogwarts."

He paused for a moment and wrinkled his nose.  "Who even calls people handmaidens anymore?"  

The further questioning caught him off guard as Jack ordered his Knight to another square.  Still no smashing, unfortunately.  "Os," he answered flatly.  "Anything less would bring down the ire of my father.  Also...I like being better than my sister."

Killian Dracel

To Post #10

Killian raised his eyebrows as the lifestyle of one @Margot du Courtois was becoming oh so clear. "She probably has a Whipping Boy, too," he mused aloud. This game felt like it was building towards something. He could see the precarious position many pieces were in now, but he couldn't afford to lose his cool now. It was just a game, after all. "You know, for when she does the crime, the Whipping Boy takes her punishment.

"Good lad, but it's also not hard to beat your sister," he said, knowingly. "It really irks her. My mums are constantly on me to keep my grades up, and start researching things outside of what Hogwarts teaches us. D'you think I should trap her in a cage again? That Margot girl, I mean."

Edited by Killian Dracel

Jaxon Sinclair

Jack would not have put it past someone as seemingly high-strung as that Hufflepuff girl to have a whipping boy.  Then again...there were other circumstances to consider.  "I doubt it," he eventually said, watching his bishop smash through Killian's knight, dragging the figure off of the horse and throwing it sideways from the board in a heap of rubble.  Oh, how satisfying it was to destroy things.

"I mean, she ended up with that attitude for a reason, yeah?  If I behaved like that, my mother would have dragged me away by the ear.  Hers obviously didn't.  No discipline?  No whipping boy."  He lifted his shoulders in a shrug.  "She probably belongs in a cage with the other base primates, anyway.  Flinging literal sh...never mind."  The appearance of their staff sponsor silenced him quickly.

Jack's face lifted, surprise in his features, and he flashed a brittle grin.  "Hey, I can say that because she's my sister.  I mean, you're right, but still..."

Killian Dracel

"Well, this is embarrassing," Killian said as he observed the board. Clearly this lad had played a game or two in his day, and though Killian enjoyed it, he certainly didn't realize he was this bad. Still, even though it was losing, it was rather entertaining to watch the pieces fight. He just never expected Jaxon to have taken so many of his prominent pieces and he hadn't taken a single one. "Yeah, well," he said, absently, "she's in my year, so I can say it, too. Besides, she gives as good as she gets, wouldn't you say?"

Maggie Sinclair... how did she come to be the topic of their conversation? Sighing, he looked at the board. "What the hell, mate? Are you a Chess prodigy and just didn't tell me? Do you... play your sister or something? I imagine she'd play chess. She seems to have a calculating mind."

Jaxon Sinclair

"Not to me, she doesn't."  He lifted his shoulders.  There was a silent truce between Jack and Maggie.  They may have bickered and occasionally poked fun at each other, but they were never intentionally malicious with each other.  They had a united front.  They had to.  With a younger sibling like Adam Sinclair, a united front was a necessary survival strategy.

Flinching, Jack watched one of his own knights slaughtered and dragged away.  Casually, he ordered another piece forward.  "Maggie doesn't have the patience for chess," he admitted, though he didn't add that he also doubted she had the brains for it.  Killian Dracel didn't need more fuel to use in his little campaign against his sister.  "I play my cousin.  Ever played someone that can see the future?"  He raised an eyebrow.  "Because it sucks, man."

Killian Dracel

"Yeah, well, you're related, so..." That clearly explained it. Killian wished he had grown up with other family that would have his back no matter what. "Honestly, I just don't care anymore? She was a pain in my arse in the beginning--still sort of is--but I'm not interested in starting something for the sake of starting something, y'know?" He watched his pieces, and there was that familiar sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach as he realized... "I'm so screwed."

Damn, this board sucked.

"Yeah, well, chess isn't for everyone," he murmured. And then he met Jaxon's gaze. "That does sound like it would suck, and I wouldn't even entertain the match-up," Killian laughed, and watched as his King was surrounded by Jaxon's pieces. "Bullocks. That's checkmate."

Frowning, he watched as the little King dropped his sword in surrender. "Well, Jack--d'you mind if I call you Jack?--that was a really good game. Clearly, I need to practice more."

He held out his fist for a solidarity bump. "Next week, we should play again."

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.