Professor Corelli-Rose

Scrub-a-dub-dub!

Professor Corelli-Rose

From its straw-strewn floor, with the tatty leftover carcasses of various vermin poking through the hay and the clumps of owl droppings, to the glassless windows opened dangerously on the expanse of the rolling ground below and beyond, the Owlery not only made Arcite wrinkle his nose at the sweet, dusty scent of straw and the feathers of so many owls, huddle into the collar of his coat against the ever-present draft streaming in through the openings (thereby masking some of the odour), but also took him for a stroll down memory lane.

This was, after all, the place where he and Carson had met and spoken for the very first time. There was the spot where Arcite had held Carson at wand-point and sniped at him for something or other about being a Gryffindor and there was the place where Carson had tripped him, so that he'd ended up taking part of the way down on his arse. Ah, memories. If someone had told either of them that they would one day be married...

Arcite grinned; he wondered if Carson remembered.

Stomping footsteps reminded him that he wasn't here to the nostalgia trip, and so Arcite turned about so he could face @Juan Garcia as he climbed the last of the steps up to the Owlery. He'd sent the notice of detention via dragon the morning following the crackdown in the Forest. It had been similarly worded to the note he'd send the Second Years and had said, besides the time and date (Sunday Afternoon, 2PM):

Should you choose to play hooky, please be advised that I have a very particular brood of dragons (as you have doubtless seen) – dragons that I have acquired and trained over a very long career – and which may be a little more convincing than I. They will find you, and they will bring you to the appointed place by the appointed time. See you on Sunday!

"*Benvenuto nella tua detenzione, Signor Garcia," Arcite drawled. From his perch on the stone sill of one of the windows, Pietro gave a skree in greeting. "I hope - but doubt, given your expression - that you understand how much it pains me to give detention to someone from my own House, but I'm not here to play favourites, and have decided that your task for today should be educational and grueling enough that further breaches of school rules be thought about thrice as hard." He nudged the bales of hay he'd had lifted up by his tireless brood with his shoe. "You're going to be doing a bit of cleaning. Your first task will be to clear off all of this old straw, so that it can be disposed off by my dragons. After that, you'll scrub the floor and walls that you can reach with this." He presented Juan with a toothbrush.

Then he waited for a moment, watching the boy's expression.

"As using that would take too long and I have dinner to get to at home, let me help a little." He flicked his wand at the toothbrush and Engorgio'd it, until it was about the length of a broom. "There," he nodded, satisfied. "There is the bucket of water," he pointed up to a landing, leading higher up the tower. "I'll replenish it as it becomes dirtier and emptier. Oh, and," he tossed him a pair of gloves. "Might want to put those on, as you're not permitted to use magic. You made begin. Oh, and, don't bother with the 'You're wasting my time, so I'll waste yours,' ridiculousness," he flapped a hand dismissively. "I'm more than twice your age and have more than twice than patience. You're welcome to test it, but that is highly inadvisable."

With that, Arcite turned and retreated to sit up on one of the stairs, after Scourgifying it of owly detritus. From his bag, he pulled out a stack of research papers and settled down to read.

-------

*Welcome to your detention! (also happens to be the bit I had written in Italian).

Have fun, however please be advised that House Points might be taken off over the course of the detention if Juan decides to retaliate in some way.

Dun dun dunnn indeed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.