write a solo RP topic

try a writing challenge of your choice for a thread

participate in this year's VHRPC challenge

roleplay with an unsorted character

roleplay with a sorted student

roleplay with an alumni or staff member

choose your own page: RP getting into a fight

P L O T T I N G

Think up a roleplay concept, plot arc, or story point relating to some aspect of your character’s past or future

Plot out a Pre-Hogwarts roleplay in cooperation with another member(s). Start a thread and write out your plot!

Choose Your Own Page: plot out a potential future "ship"

C H A R A C T E R  D E V E L O P M E N T

draft the first post of your character library

post a RP wanted topic for your character in "Roleplaying Connections"

complete a character questionnaire

complete a character prompt

choose your own page: any character development activity of your choice

M E M O R I E S  E A R N E D

List here

Edited by Margarleon Turpentine

Margarleon Turpentine

H O G W A R T S  S T A R T E R  K I T

RP RECEIVING YOUR HOGWARTS LETTER        

The letter sat, opened and then cast aside, on the tiny cinder block that he called a nightstand. It had been expected; his Hogwarts letter. The owl carrying it had been a hearty creature, stronger than any owl he’d seen before, and Leon had snatched the letter greedily, as if it were gold. Truth was, he hadn’t wanted Darby to get her grubby hands on it before he did. It was his.

The one thing that Hogwarts offered was an escape from the hovel that he and Darby had grown up in. Away from the man who he was forced to refer by his first name rather than as dad, despite never knowing a different father. Yes, the Hogwarts letter was in its own way a blessing, but within it also lay dread.

Here, on these stomping grounds, he knew the rules and the routine. He knew the best ways to get what he wanted. But Hogwarts? Hogwarts had a whole new set of rules to figure out and maneuver; a new setting where he’d have to find new ways to manipulate each situation to his advantage. He eyed the letter dubiously, but then Darby’s voice, loud and shrill, sounded outside in the hallway. Hurriedly, Leon snatched the letter and hid it beneath the cot that was his bed.

No matter what blessing or curse his Hogwarts letter signified, it was still his. And Darby would have to wait for her own.

Margarleon Turpentine

RP BUYING SCHOOL SUPPLIES            

Leon cringed as he found himself rummaging through the used versions of the textbooks that were in Flourish and Blotts. His family could not afford a lot of the supplies on their school list. He already knew he would be using second-hand robes and a cauldron from his mother’s school days. Not to mention the cheap potions kit his mother had put together for him, along with the other hodge-podge supplies she’d gathered for both himself and Darby.

He sullenly picked up one of the books in the bin, a tattered copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Year One, by Miranda Goshawk. The spine was cracked in multiple places, highlighter covered practically every page, and the front cover was partially ripped.

“Oi, Darby,” Leon drew the attention of his sister (@Darby Turpentine), who was looking at the new books they wouldn’t be able to afford wishfully. “Found you a Book of Spells,” He told her, tossing the book in her direction before he moved closer and grumbled, “When we get to Hogwarts you and I have to work on making sure we get some more… adequate versions of our own books.” He was not keen on having their peers find out just how poor his family was. And while he would be sure to try to get the slightly-better options than Darby did, he was still not keen on toting around disintegrating textbooks.

He went back to the search, trying to find books in better condition.

Margarleon Turpentine

SEND YOUR SWS QUIZ TO RECEIVE YOUR WAND    

Wand quiz sent to Madam Ollivander! My wand is: 7 inch blackthorn, dragon heartstring.

Margarleon Turpentine

W R I T I N G  &  R O L E P L A Y I N G

START AN OPEN ROLEPLAY              

Link here!

Margarleon Turpentine

W R I T I N G  &  R O L E P L A Y I N G

WRITE A SOLO RP TOPIC               

Link here!

Margarleon Turpentine

JOIN SOMEONE ELSE'S OPEN ROLEPLAY         

Link here!

Margarleon Turpentine

ROLEPLAY ON THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS         

Link!

Margarleon Turpentine

TRY A WRITING CHALLENGE OF YOUR CHOICE FOR A THREAD   

Link! (Challenge attempted: one-liner)

Margarleon Turpentine

PARTICIPATE IN THIS YEAR'S VHRPC CHALLENGE     

Link!

Margarleon Turpentine

ROLEPLAY WITH AN UNSORTED CHARACTER        

Link!

Margarleon Turpentine

CHOOSE YOUR OWN PAGE: RP GETTING INTO A FIGHT   

Link!

Margarleon Turpentine

P L O T T I N G

THINK UP A STORY POINT RELATING TO YOUR CHARACTER'S PAST   

When chatting with Darby, @Darby Turpentine had the idea for an NPC character named Trevor from down the road. (Her summary of his character, I take no credit for this: Trevor is that guy everyone knows who fixes stuff. If your <thing> is broken, you take it to Trevor and he figures out how to make it work. Trevor is of magical origins and fixes both magical and muggle items as well as the odd person. When they were younger, Leon and Darby would drag each other to Trevor’s garage to be patched up until Darby could figure out how to make patchwork repairs on each other that would suffice in a pinch. Trevor usually accepts barter for payment.)

Result: Due to Darby's experimentation with "patchwork repairs," Leon has a bent right pinky finger from Darby not setting it properly. The second joint bends a bit outward, away from his ring finger.

Margarleon Turpentine

P L O T T I N G

PLOT OUT A PRE-HOGWARTS ROLEPLAY   

@Dale McQueen-Trengrove and I chatted on Discord and plotted a thread where Leon is going to stumble upon Dale reading something embarrassing in Flourish and Blotts and starts making fun of him for it. Dale's supposed to start the thread & I'll link it here when he does! 😁

Margarleon Turpentine

P L O T T I N G

CHOOSE YOUR OWN PAGE: PLOT A POTENTIAL FUTURE "SHIP"   

@Amelia Martin and I plotted out a potential "hate ship" way down the line (probably not until our fourth years or so) while in our group chat a while back! 

Margarleon Turpentine

C H A R A C T E R  D E V E L O P M E N T

DRAFT THE FIRST POST OF YOUR CHARACTER LIBRARY    

THE BASICS    

Name ☣ Margarleon Turpentine

House ☣ Sparklypoo (Slytherin hopeful)

Birthday ☣ November 3

Hometown ☣ Liverpool

Blood Type Pure

Five words that best describe your character Greedy, envious, scrappy, broody, and antagonistic

APPEARANCE    

Hair Color ☣ Brown

Hair Style ☣ Short, curly if it starts to grow longer. Largely untamed and rarely washed.

Eye Color ☣ Greenish

Height ☣ Slightly shorter than average height. Will end around 5'9 or 5'10.

Other Distinguishing Details His right pinky is slightly bent due to it being improperly set after being broken. Leon can most likely always be found with a scab or bruise or two - he's known for getting in scuffles and can also be careless and clumsy. 

FAMILY      

(Biological) Father's Name ☣ Unknown. Leon's mother refuses to speak about him, and Leon only knows that she had an affair that resulted in his conception.

(Non-biological) Father's Name & Brief Description ☣ Krispin Turpentine. Leon has to refer to Krispin by his first name, he has never let him call him "dad" or "father." Leon thinks of him as his "not-father" and their relationship is tense. Leon is a constant reminder to Krispin of his mother's infidelity and Leon generally tries to stay out of the way of him, and Krispin does the same. 

Mother's Name & Brief Description ☣ ? Turpentine (name tbd). Leon and his mother are certainly closer than he and Krispin, but it is by no means a warm relationship. His mother is not exactly the maternal type and she can be rather hands-off when it comes to actually enforcing discipline.

Sister's Name & Brief Description ☣ Darby Turpentine. By far his closest family member, he and Darby may get at each other's throats and fight consistently, but they will always have each other's backs when it comes down to it. Darby is kind of the brain where Leon's the brawn in a lot of ways. 

AT HOGWARTS   

Your Best Subject ☣ Unknown. 

Your Worst Subject ☣ Unknown, but Leon will probably struggle in most if not all subjects, lol.

Extracurricular Activities ☣ Probably dueling

Fave place at Hogwarts ☣ Unknown. 

Least fave place at Hogwarts ☣ Unknown. 

Do any staff members scare you? ☣ Unknown. 

Do any inspire you? ☣ Unknown. 

MISCELLANEOUS   

Interests/Hobbies ☣ Picking fights. 

What you might like to do after Hogwarts ☣ Something that pays good money. Criminal activities are not excluded. He'll do whatever he needs to.

Someone you look up to ☣ No one right now.

Something else people should really know about you ☣ He's not as smart as he wants you to believe, but that's probably not hard to find out.

Margarleon Turpentine

POST A RP WANTED TOPIC FOR YOUR CHARACTER      

I did this as my alter (for all my alters including Leon) here at the beginning of the year. I'm still open for roleplays if anyone were to still post there! 💚

Margarleon Turpentine

COMPLETE A CHARACTER QUESTIONNAIRE         

What is your favorite color? Not technically colors, but greys and black are the colors Leon gravitates towards. He also likes very dark greens and blues.

If you could be any animal, what would you be? Leon would want to be something big and badarse, like a tiger.

What is something you're really good at? Fighting with people and picking fights with people

What superpower do you wish you had? Super strength 💪 Or the ability to earn money without doing anything, that's a superpower, right?

What household chore do you hate to do? All of them

What new talent or skill would you learn if you had the chance? Anything that would earn money

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? Just Leon would be great, Leon hates his full name

What is your favorite type of weather? Cloudy but not raining

What's your favorite thing about your room? Nothing. Leon dislikes his room, it's too small

Would you rather play outside or inside? Outside

What did you get for your last birthday? A "new" shirt, that's actually a used shirt, but new to Leon at least

What is your favorite food? Fish and chips, but honestly, Leon will eat whatever he can get his hands on

Do you share a room? With who? No, but Leon's room is just a tiny room with enough room for a bed, really.

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go? Leon would go wherever (he's hardly been outside of Liverpool), but would probably really enjoy some of the big cities in the United States (New York, Los Angeles, etc.)

What do you want to be when you grow up? Something that makes a lot of money and allows him to live with more means than he's had growing up. Leon wants to make something out of himself

Where do you want to live when you grow up? Anywhere but Liverpool

Where did you go on your last vacation? Haven't ever been on vacation

What is something that scares you? Living out the rest of his life the way it is now; deep water (he is a poor swimmer)

What do you want for your next birthday? Something more than a used shirt

Who is someone you want to be like? No one in particular (lol who is even famous in 2042 idek), but someone strong, rich, and powerful.