Ryan Buratsche

I Don't Understand

Ryan Buratsche

Back for sixth year, Ryan was determined to focus on both his Ancient Runes and Muggle Studies classes. Ancient Runes had always been one of his most difficult classes, but he was encouraged by the fact that he'd received an O on his OWL. Maybe he understood more than he thought he did.

He'd joined Dane for a study session in advance of the first Ancient Runes class of the year, and as soon as he sat down in the library, he was pretty sure there was something that was off. He'd tried not to pay attention to it as they reviewed Elder Futhark translations, but every so often he couldn't help but peek over Dane's shoulder and frown.

"Have you noticed that there are like eight couples in here?"

Dane Golden-Keisi

Dane had not noticed anything of the sort because he was too engrossed in studying. But then again, he and Ryan had always been different in that sense. Not that Ryan wasn’t a good student but he was certainly better at interacting with people than Dane was. He looked up and scanned the room. “I guess? Is that bad?” He didn’t know what his friend meant by it. Maybe there was some sort of epidemic going on? Could there be a romantic plague? If so, Dane was curious about it.

He looked back at his parchment but could sense that Ryan had more to say about it. “Maybe people have simply found a like soul.” He said it matter-of-factly. He didn’t know much about love but he knew that it was somewhat like science. There was attraction, common interests, a sense of happiness. He had never felt it but maybe he would one day. If he didn’t, he wasn’t too worried about it. He didn’t feel the need to have someone else. He was content on his own.

Ryan Buratsche

Ryan envied the level of focus that Dane was able to display in the library. Sometimes Dane seemed like he was pure intellect, above the concerns of petty humans. Ryan was not nearly so lucky--every moment that he tried to focus, he found himself sidetracked, wondering why it wasn't him that had his arm around the pretty Hufflepuff or the Ravenclaw with long, flowing hair. 

"I don't think it's bad," Ryan mused, scanning the library. "Well....I don't know." He meant that quite literally. He had never gone on a date before, and it was beginning to become more and more obvious to him that he hadn't. Part of him was a little worried that he was going to graduate from school without ever having so much as been on a date with a girl, let alone kissed one. He wondered if this was something that Dane ever thought about.

....Or not. "A like...soul," he said slowly, thinking over the concept in his head. "I don't know if there are any like souls here for me." While the thought was a little upsetting, his tone was also level and observational. He wasn't exactly the most popular person in school, and he didn't think that was going to change within the span of two years. 

Dane Golden-Keisi

Dane knew that Ryan wanted to find someone for him. The Ravenclaw could understand. He was sure it was nice to share life with another person. His parents were always happy and glowing when around each other. He simply knew that he didn’t need someone to be happy. It wasn’t a requirement of life. Perhaps his friend thought it was and that was why he was upset? Maybe he thought there was something wrong with him? He didn’t know but he also didn’t know how to make it better. It wasn’t like Ryan wanted to date him.

When Ryan spoke again, Dane stopped what he was doing and looked up. “Don’t say that. There is someone for you. You just haven’t met them yet. You will. I think there is someone for everyone. It’s like Arithmancy. There isn’t always an answer at first but eventually you can figure it out. Sometimes it just takes more time and effort. We’re young enough that we don’t need to worry about it right now.”

He paused and thought about it some more. “If you want to find someone, maybe just talk to people and feel out who you think would be right for you. When you find them, ask them on a date. There’s a science to this stuff, Ryan, and everyone’s experiments are different. You need to find your experiment and go with it.” Dane’s was not thinking about it and if someone came along, cool. If not, he wasn’t going to die over it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.