Maligaya Magen

Ow! Givin' me a heart attack

Maligaya Magen

They had been at Hogwarts for a few days now, and Gaya was starting to understand more things. Sure, she still didn't get how or why the stairs moved the way they did, or even how the portraits worked, but she was figuring out which way to go for classes and how to get to her dorm from anywhere in the castle.

Well, not quite anywhere yet, but she was working on it.

She was wandering down some random corridor, backpack slung over her shoulder and notes from Transfiguration in her hand, when she heard a loud BANG! that certainly didn't sound natural or good. Or at least, not something that might've been done on purpose. Gaya ran towards the noise and opened a classroom door to find one of her fellow yearmates, one of the twins, Aurora or something, in the classroom. "Were you the one that just made that noise?" she asked, an eyebrow raised at the Gryffindor.

Aurora Turlough

Oops. One of the desks had exploded, right where she had flicked her wand. Her nature of biting off more than she could chew was catching up to her in that moment. The rubble before her was sure to land her in detention if an authority figure were to walk into the classroom at that moment, but she was currently trying to tame her racing heart to thoroughly think that part through. She ought to be grabbing her bag and running away, but instead she just looked at the damage in awe.

Oops.

And then the door flew open and Roar turned on the spot to look at... at... not a person who could give her detention.

"Erm. No?" she answered unconvincingly. "Uhm. Maybe."

Maligaya Magen

Well. At least Gaya now knew she wasn't the only one interested in trying out the spells they learned in class at random inanimate objects. Not that she thought it was weird, but Bast had definitely given her a Look when she tried it on the pen the brunette had brought from home.

Gaya's eyebrows lifted at the sight of a desk in shambles, snorting when the girl tried to say it hadn't been her. "What spell did you use to make it explode?" She didn't think they'd been taught anything like that yet, so it must've been an accident. Unless Aurora was going off of some older, more advanced textbook that did include an explodey spell. 

Aurora Turlough

"Erm." She felt like a deer caught in the headlights, every time her mother caught her up to no good shenanigans in the house. Her mum was like a ninja, catching her in the act all the time, and something told her that her mum was an expert at it because she had been on the other side of that particular coin.

She looked at Maligaya. "I didn't.... I hadn't gotten that far...? I just flicked my wand and..." she gestured to the desk. Then she had to laugh, because THE DESK WAS IN SHAMBLES. "You're Ma... Mali... Mali-something?" she said with an air of apology. Names were hard this early in term.

Maligaya Magen

Gaya blinked a little when the girl said she hadn't gotten that far. She'd done that without a spell in mind? Interesting. What else could random magic do?? Gaya decided not to focus on that. At least not at the moment. "You flicked your wand and wanted the desk to explode? Or did your wand have a mind of its own?" The shopkeeper had told her something about wands being things with minds of their own, but Gaya didn't know if she really believed that.

"Maligaya, but I prefer to go by Gaya," she said, giving Aurora a small smile. "You're Aurora right? One of the sets of twins?" Gaya couldn't remember the last name, but she did know the girl had a twin. A boy. 

Aurora Turlough

"Aurora is my Aunt's name," she said. "I go by Roar. Or Aurie." It didn't matter which, but she was tired of being confused with her extended family. "Close the door," she added, gesturing to the barrier. She didn't want a Professor to pass them by and see the mess inside the classroom. It was better to put off that kind of trouble for as long as possible.

"It's less to do with the wand and more to do with... well, me. Our magic is still... unpredictable at times. Especially when you're emotional. At least that's what everyone in my life has told me since I was young." She frowned for a split second, and then glanced at the Ravenclaw.

"Erm. How are you liking Hogwarts?"

Maligaya Magen

Gaya nodded at the girl's correction, making a mental note of it. As someone who went by a nickname regularly, she was more than happy to respect the girl's request. "Roar. Fitting for a Gryffindor," she said, nodding at the girl's dark red robes. She closed the door at her request and even clicked the lock, just so no one accidentally stumbled in on the mess.

As Roar explained the whole unpredictable magic thing Gaya had heard once or twice before, she nodded along. It didn't quite make sense to her logically, but she couldn't deny that the apartment had definitely had unexplained circumstances when Gaya had been upset, even before she knew she was magic. Doon had admitted to choosing to ignore the earlier signs. 

"I like it okay." Bit of a lie. She was fascinated by it, but a part of her wanted to hate it just so she could tell Doon not to send her back after Christmas. "It's ... not quite what I expected, but in a good way. I thought it'd be much stuffier, but I'm glad it's not. You?"

Aurora Turlough

Aurora let out a huff at Gaya's comment, then shook her head slightly. "Honestly, I wish I had been sorted into Ravenclaw a little more than being sorted into Gryffindor," she said. "Both my parents were Ravenclaws, my aunt was a Ravenclaw, most of my extended family were Ravenclaws...." she had to chuckle. "I feel like I'm breaking the mold with my brothers."

She stepped forward and kicked some of the rubble with the toe of her shoe. "Are you kidding? I've been looking forward to Hogwarts since I could learn how to talk. I think." It wasn't like her memory was all that clear, but Hogwarts was something her heart was set on for as long as she could remember.

"I'm dying to find out where the secret passages are."

Maligaya Magen

She chuckled at the girl's response. "There's nothing wrong with that! My dad was a Hufflepuff, so you don't have to be just like your family." Sure, Doon wasn't Gaya's biological dad, but everything she was was basically because of him, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to her if she'd ended up in his house. The Hat had made an excellent point about her love of facts, though.

Gaya tilted her head as Roar talked about how excited she was to be at Hogwarts. "I hope it's everything you wanted it to be, then." Just because Gaya wanted to hate it didn't mean she had to want others to hate it too. That was something she'd gotten from Doon: let people like what they like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. She perked up at the mention of secret passages. "I knew there had to be some! This place is too old not to have any."

She paused. "Do you have any ideas?"

Aurora Turlough

"So far, it's pretty good."

Aurora looked around the classroom, and then sat down at a desk that wasn't demolished. Merlin, why were they still in the classroom where they could get caught, and blamed for this mess. The way Gaya had perked up at the mention of the secret passages had Aurora's fiery curiosity flaring.

"The only one I've heard about so far is... there is a passage somewhere on the seventh floor that will take you alllllll the way down to the dungeons. Think of all those stairs we won't have to walk up and down."

Dreamy sigh. "So, have you started on your homework from Transfig, yet?"

Maligaya Magen

Gaya didn't know why they'd stuck around, other than because it just happened to be where they were. Hopefully no one walked in on them when it was still very clear that they were part of this mess -- not the cause, but Gaya was clearly not going to stop Roar if she wanted to do more damage with a flick of a wand -- and they could get away scot free. 

Taking a seat at an unharmed desk, Gaya listened intently as the Gryffindor spoke, letting out a low whistle. "That would be amazing. The stairs are pretty cool, but not having to walk them every day so many times a day? I'd love that." 

The mention of Transfiguration homework made Gaya shake her head. "Not yet. I was going over my notes for it before ..." she gestured at the mangled desk between them. "You?"

Aurora Turlough

Roar looked at Gaya and blushed a little when the mangled desk was brought up again. Whoops. Maybe that should be the clear indicator that no more magic should be practiced that day. Now she wanted to go on an adventure to find a the secret passage that she'd mentioned. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring the Ravenclaw along with her, either.

She put her wand in the pocket of her robes, and turned to the other girl in the room who would definitely share the blame (for simply being in the room) with her if they were caught. "Well... I was going to practice..." she said, and then made a face, "but now I don't want to. We should go look for that secret passage. What do you say?"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.