Katherine Braelin-VonHaus

Dragon Pox Makes Friends Forever

AH-CHOO!

Forget snot shooting out of her nose. The sneeze was accompanied by sparks, which stung her nostrils, and practically blinded her as she tried to see how pretty the spectacle was. Her whole body was rocked by that one sneeze, and now every pockmark on her skin felt like it was on fire. She hissed, and her fingers hastily scratched at the affected areas under her St. Mungo’s gown. There were so many choice words she had for this particular illness.

Katherine Braelin-VonHaus had been stuck in the Magical Bugs ward in the wizarding hospital for a couple days now, and it seemed like there were ages to go before she was going to have any sort of freedom again.

It was then that she noticed the green tinge to the skin on her arms, and she nearly whimpered. “Stop scratching!” the healer snapped at her as she levitated another bed into the room and set it down a few feet away from hers.

“I can’t help it!” she snarled back at the healer, but made a little effort to resist the temptation. AH-CHOO! More sparks flew out of her nose, and she fell back against her pillow, wincing. “Where’s my mum?”

“She’s doing what she does best at the moment. She said she’ll be up in a couple hours to check on you.”

Kate muttered under her breath, and then she caught sight of another green tinged boy getting into the bed next to hers. She stared--of course she stared, because he looked bloody awful. “Hey,” she said. "Do I look as bad as you do?"

Edited by Katherine Braelin-VonHaus

Julian Banagher

This was Audrey's fault.

Audrey was the reason that he was currently lying in the Magical Bugs ward in St. Mungo's, literally green while Audrey and his parents got to go to the summer house in America. 

He was totally going to use her dolls to make a bonfire the moment he got home. Because this wasn't fair, this wasn't fair in the slightest.

There were more than a few other kids in the ward who were his age. More than one of whom had asked for their parents in the last hour. Every time one of them spoke, he had to resist the impulse to say probably going on a vacation without you, sucks to be you! because as much as he wanted to make fun of them, he'd just be making fun of himself too.

The girl who wouldn't stop scratching next to him suddenly addressed him. He rolled his eyes at her remark and shifted to sit up, only the moment he shifted up, the movement provoked a series of sparky coughs. "We look exactly the same," he grumbled. "Just like all of them, too." He gestured to the kids lying in beds on the other side of the ward. 

"Julian, by the way. Julian Banagher." He would have held out his hand at that moment like he'd been taught, only the both of them were so covered in germs it was probably ill-advised. "So, did your mum ditch you here too?" 

Kate stared at the boy curiously. The green tinge to his skin mirrored her own and she thought it was fascinating. More importantly, did he have anything interesting to talk about? A game to play? Something? She had read the magazine at the foot of her cot over and over already. She was dying for something else to scratch this irritating itch of boredom.

Clearly, he wasn’t in good spirits, and she couldn’t blame him. She’d grumbled a time or two over this illness. “Suppose so,” she acquiesced, and looked at the rest of the children who hadn’t given her the time of day. They were too busy groaning, and itching to care about anyone else around them.

“Katie. Kate. Well, Katherine. I mean--Katherine Braelin-VonHaus.” Ugh, shut up. “Just Kate.” She sank back into her pillow, but no sooner had she done that, another sneeze escaped her. “ACHOO!” Sparks flew everywhere again, shooting out from her nose. “At least it’s not boogers,” she commented.

Katherine glanced over at Julian and shook her head. “Not so much. My mum’s a healer here. She’ll be checking in on me soon. I guess it’s kind of nice to have her around--the rest of my family isn’t allowed to come in here because they could get infected, too….

“Wait, your mum ditched you here?”

Julian Banagher

Julian had to laugh when Kate sneezed, sending sparks everywhere. Laughing, however, provoked a sneeze from him too, sending sparks in the opposite direction. The boy on the other side of him seemed to think this was funny. He could see a smile rising in the other boy's face, which made him glare pointedly at him until he turned away. 

"My mum's not a healer," Julian pointed out, the implication being that it was unlikely she could gain admission to the ward without becoming infected herself. "She..." Well, she did a lot of things. Things that Julian didn't always understand, because there were so many things she did. "She's a hit witch. Sometimes she goes for months on an assignment. And she's a professional duelist. And she works at Hogwarts, as the Apparition Instructor." 

But that didn't answer the thornier question of whether or not he'd been ditched. "Sort of, I guess," Julian scratched a particularly itchy green, scaly patch of skin on the back of his neck. "My family went on vacation. My mum was really mad at me for cutting the heads off of my sister's dolls. I had a good reason, though. She's super annoying and keeps breaking my toys 'by accident.'" He made air quotes to emphasize how ridiculous he thought Audrey's claims that she'd destroyed them accidentally were.