Sign in to follow this  
Undercliffe

Quick Start Guide

Undercliffe

Hello and welcome to VH! :wub:

You might be wondering what to do first now that you've found our site. This topic can help you get started!

1. What is VH?
  2. What to know when signing up
  3. When can I get sorted into my house and start Hogwarts?
  4. Now what do I do?
  5. Frequently Asked Questions
  6. Additional information and resources!

Undercliffe

What is Virtual Hogwarts (VH)?

VH is a play-by-post, text-based Hogwarts roleplaying site. Here, you'll create a character and craft their story by collaborating with other members to write roleplays. Your character begins their journey in the year before they attend Hogwarts. You'll write their story as they advance through the years, from sorting day all the way up to seventh year and beyond. At Hogwarts, there are a variety of offerings, including lessons, house quidditch teams, the dueling chamber with an annual dueling tournament, student clubs, and more! 

VH began in 2003 on the premise that Harry Potter defeated Lord Voldemort in 1998, destroying Hogwarts in the process. Five years later, the school was rebuilt and reopened its doors to the young witches and wizards of the United Kingdom and Ireland. Since then, the Death Eaters have undergone various changes in leadership and at last it appears they've disbanded, with other conflicts of good and evil in the wizarding world just beginning to come to light. 

Since a "VH year" typically lasts about 21 weeks, time on VH moves faster than real time. VH is now many years in the future, in the 2040s. The events of the Deathly Hallows epilogue happened years ago, and you'll now find the grandchildren of Harry and his friends at Hogwarts or arriving soon. 

Resources: 

Undercliffe

What do I need to know when signing up?

Check out the previous post and make sure you've read the site rules.

On VH, each account represents a character. The account you'll sign up for is an account for a character you're going to write, not an account representing you as a person. The "Display Name" for your account should be the name of the character you're creating.

• Your Display Name cannot be your real life name. (Recall from the rules that VH does not allow the sharing of personal information on the site.)
  • Display Names should contain a first and last name with proper capitalization. Names should avoid being excessively long and should not contain any numbers or symbols. 
  • Display Names should not contain any bad words and should avoid sexual connotations. 
  • Your Display Name should not be the name of a character from a book, TV show, movie, nor the name of a celebrity. 
  • Your character may not have the same last name as any characters from the Harry Potter books. (Off-canon characters are available by approval only.)

Once you've decided on a name, click the link at the top of the page to Sign Up!

If you've already signed up and you're just now realizing that your name does not conform to the guidelines above, you can change your own Display Name once. Otherwise, you may request moderator assistance in changing your name.

Resources:

Undercliffe

I just registered! When can I get sorted into my house and start Hogwarts?

Time works differently on VH than it does in the real world. A VH year consists of two 8-week terms with a few weeks in between for winter and summer holiday breaks. A new VH year begins approximately once every 5 months with the sorting of a new first year class. At the end of a VH year, students are advanced to the next year and sorting forms open for the next class of incoming first years. It typically takes about 3 real life years for your student to advance from unsort all the way through to alumni.

Since we only sort students at the beginning of a new VH year, the sorting process may not be open when you first sign up. That's okay! Check out the next post for some things you can do on the site while you wait for sorting time to roll around. Although you may have to wait a little while for sorting, we think you'll find it worth the wait. When you're sorted, you'll enter Hogwarts alongside the entire incoming first year class. You'll all find out your house on the same day at the same time, beginning your Hogwarts journeys together.

When the sorting form is open, you'll see a "How to get sorted" announcement near the top of the page, and a tab called "Sort Me!" under the banner. You can click on the announcement for more information about sorting, and you'll submit your character's Sorting Form using the "Sort Me!" feature. 

Resources:

Undercliffe

I've read the rules and registered with an acceptable name. Now what do I do?

If sorting is open, you'll want to submit your sorting form. But there's no need to wait until you submit your form to get involved in the site! There's a lot to do while you're waiting for the forms to open, or while you're waiting for Sorting Day once you've submitted your form.

Your character begins as an unsorted student, a young magical person of ten or eleven years of age who will soon attend Hogwarts. What you do next is up to you! There are no additional requirements to get started, so you choose how you want to begin.

We've provided a few options below to serve as ideas for starting points for anyone who might be feeling a little bit lost. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and you are definitely not required to complete all (or any!) of these things when you join the site. 

Undercliffe

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why can't I upload a profile picture?

A: New member accounts don't have permission to add photos to the site gallery (for bandwidth reasons). You can choose an avatar from our site gallery until your sorting form has been accepted, when you can use your own custom images. You may also use an image uploaded by another member, but only with their permission. 

Q: Does VH have a faceclaim?

A: VH has The List of Characters and Lookalikes, where you can claim a lookalike (LAL) after you've been sorted. Adding your lookalike to the list is completely optional. Using the same LAL as another character is allowed. The list exists as a resource for our members and artists.

Q: How do I format my posts? I don't remember how to use BB code tags!

A: If you've been on VH before, you might remember that the old version of the board required you to use tags to format your posts. However, with the board upgrades we now have a WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get") post editor which allows you to use the little buttons at the top of the posting box to add formatting to your post. BB code still works, but it is not preserved, meaning if you post using BB tags and go back to edit, your tags will be gone and you'll only be able to edit the WYSIWYG version of your post.

If your question was not answered here, please refer to the next  post for a list of options in finding an answer! 

Undercliffe

Have an unanswered question? Here's how you can find answers ...