Sorting Hat

The Sorting Ceremony

Sorting Hat

If you can believe it, Gawkrodger was actually pretty happy to be standing once more outside the Great Hall staring at a muddle of children for which the word 'line' meant nothing. It was all comparative, of course, and in time he'd forget how much he hated giving speeches as headmaster and begin to loathe this experience again instead.

But for a couple of years the new students would continue to have a (relatively) happy deputy headmaster opening the doors to their lives for the next seven years. Even the inevitable few soaked students didn't bother him today. He just ignored them and tried not to think about how stupid children had to be to fail so badly at riding in a boat. He also tried not to think about the concept of natural selection.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," he announced eventually, taking advantage of a natural lull in the children's myriad conversations. "Once you've gathered into something like a line we will head into the Great Hall. Inside, you'll be sorted into one of the four houses -- Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw or Slytherin -- and you will stay in that house for the rest of your time at Hogwarts.

"Each of the houses has its own unique character and you will be sorted into the house which suits you best. You cannot change houses after you've been sorted, no matter how much you complain. Just trust the hat. Now, are you -- is that supposed to be a line?" A hint of Gawkrodger's usual irritability snuck into his voice as he surveyed one of the top 5 worst attempts at a line he'd ever seen.

"Whatever," he muttered and stepped to the side as the large doors slowly swung open to reveal the Great Hall, an ever-changing ceiling of sky, populated beneath by four long tables of returning students, staring expectantly at the group of new additions.

"Step inside, quietly. Your names will be called alphabetically by surname. When you hear your name called head forward and put on the hat." The timeworn Sorting Hat was sitting in its place on a stool at the front of the room, waiting to go to work at its one job. "After you've been sorted, take your place at your table. You'll know them by the shouting and beckoning."

Gawkrodger led the way into the Great Hall, and once the last stragglers had scurried in the doors swung closed and the Sorting Hat began to sing...

While I know you look at my worn form

and think my days are done,

I return this Year to let you know

I still have just begun!

So very many years ago,

Great Godric Gryffindor

pulled me off his head so I

could Sort you all in four.

And since that day, so long ago

Each year I do my job,

and Sort you children one and all,

each Tom and Jane and Bob.

Some new young students soon will go

to where the Lions roar.

In Gryffindor's House, they will find

courage across the board.

And still some others soon will see

where Badgers make their home.

In Hufflepuff's House, each will share

true justice with their own.

Yet more fresh faces soon will climb

to heights where Eagles fly,

In Ravenclaw's house, curious minds

will meet with their own kind.

Still furthermore, some soon will seek

the nest of all the Snakes,

In Slytherin's House, determined ones

all do whatever it takes.

And so you see, these Houses four

all have a certain strength.

And now mine has a chance to shine:

I'll Sort you for the banquet!

OOC: Thanks to Aiobhe Rowan for this year's sorting hat song.

Elewyn Sauvigni

Not only the day, but the time had finally arrived. This was a time that Elewyn had been awaiting for the last 2 years, or longer. 2 years ago, her sister had sat on the chair in front of the school whilst the hat placed her into Gryffindor house. Elewyn strongly suspected that the hat would not choose the same for her, although ultimately that was for the hat to discover.

The journey up to the castle from the boats had been uneventful. She had followed along with the rest of the first years as they had walked up from the lake to the front door of the school; a school which was now also her own. She may have been living with her family for the last 2 years whilst Tami attended Hogwarts (aside from a brief stint at Pre-Hogwarts Primary) but it was here, right now that Elewyn finally felt as though she had come home.

As she waited in line for her time to come, she offered as much support and encouragement to her new year mates. She offered encouraging smiles and nods wherever she could, and when she found a student who looked a little nervous, she offered them some additional support. She was fortunate, she had come from a pureblood home, and her sister had been sorted before her. Elewyn knew what to expect, except for the unanswered question. She spent her time explaining the sorting process to anyone who looked a little confused. The poor muggleborns in particular must be mystified beyond belief. It was a small thing really, to help put of few minds at rest, and Elewyn liked to be helpful.

Sauvigni, Elewyn

At last her moment came, Elewyn stepped forward and took a seat as the hat was lowered onto her head. As she waited for the hat to start talking to her, she looked over at the Gryffindor table for her older sister. Would she be a Gryffindor too? Elewyn didn't think so. If there was one house she was sure she didn't belong, it was Slytherin. Surely she would be the antithesis of everything that Salazar Slytherin saw in his students. She looked then at the Hufflepuffs. They looked like a friendly bunch, and one of her sister's closest friends was a Hufflepuff. She would be in good company if she were sorted there.

"Good evening, hat" she sent out a welcoming thought. As she waited to hear the hat's words in her head, she felt a calmness wash over her. She wasn't frightened or nervous, she was merely curious. She was certain that the hat would know where she belonged.

Good evening, Miss Sauvigni, and what a pleasant evening it is with you sat under my brim! It’s rare that I find such kind and gentle people, but you embody all of this and more. There is only one house that will appreciate your caring and honest nature and where you will find like-minded friends to help you on the path to world peace, and that is the home of the badgers. Make your way to HUFFLEPUFF!

Sabine Frost

Sabine exited the train with all of the other students. It was no longer summer and at this time the small platform was bathed in darkness, adding to the sense of mystery.

Lilla was used to the cold — you had to be where she lived, on a remote Scottish island — but was pleased the first years were huddled together, to share the warmth. And then, still as one, they set off down a steep, narrow path that opened onto the edge of a great lake — and in the distance was a castle, high up a mountain that dominated the far side of the water.

They all climbed into small boats and before long they entered a tunnel that was cut into the cliff face. Scarmbling out, they all walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around a huge front door that, as if by magic — which it may well have been — opened upon their arrival.

And then they were inside. The stone walls held flaming torches and in the distance they could hear muted voices. She’d heard enough on the train to know what was about to happen — the start-of-term banquet — but ahead of that would be the Sorting Ceremony.

Words were spoken, but they washed over Sabine, as she took in the majesty of the Great Hall and suddenly realised the Sorting had begun. She noticed that they’d somehow shuffled into something approximating a line and she stared ahead at the four-legged stool they were taking it in turns to sit upon, and the patched and frayed pointed wizard's hat that would determine which House she would end up in.

Her parents had deliberately withheld their own houses from her — and she knew why. They did not want to influence her opinion of the relative importance of each, or make her feel in some way that she had let them down if she was sorted into a different one. And given she suspected they were in separate ones, she was never going to follow in both of their footsteps.

As she’d considered the houses,  she had wondered if the hat would place her based upon who she was versus who she aspired to be – or even who she had the potential to become.

For she hoped to make a difference. Not in a Slytherin way – she saw cunning people as entirely untrustworthy. And despite her work ethic, she was not expecting to join Hufflepuff – she wanted to go out into the world and use her knowledge to bravely right wrongs. It was obvious which two houses she anticipated the Hat might sort her in to – but refrained from thinking it, in case she ended up sharing her thoughts with the Sorting Hat, and influenced it in some way.

“Frost, Sabine!”

She was shaken from her thoughts and almost fell forwards when her name was called, but collected herself and sat in the stool before placing the hat on her head, but due to the size of it, it fell over her eyes.

Sabine was not nervous as the hat was lowered. In a dispassionate way, she’d read all the books that had been recommended for first-years (and a few more besides) and trusted the hat to place her where she fitted best.

My my, you’re remarkably calm Miss Frost. That’s an admirable trait in one as young as you, but I would expect nothing less from one as brave as you. I have to tell you, I have two founders clamouring for you and they’re splitting me right at the brim. Godric sees your bravery and your drive to do the right thing and thinks you would be right at home with him, but Rowena sees your dedication to logic and facts, and your need to ascertain all the information in any situation and thinks she should have you. Hmm, what to do? Your moral compass seems to be guided by facts, and your mind is analytical and objective. I know which founder will truly guide you to be the best you can, and it’s the one in blue and bronze. Off you go to RAVENCLAW!

Harmony Granger-Weasley

Note, GM of Ralph approved.

After the long (and relatively smelly) train ride, Harmony Granger-Weasley was anxious to get out and take in the fresh air. She pulled Jean back in her cat-carrier, and quickly departed the compartment. First years, as tradition, were ushered to the adult responsible for the boats. This meant that, unfortunately for Harmony, she had to part ways with Jean for a moment. Jean did not like water, and would not behave well traveling over it. Many weeks of training would go down the drain, and Harmony would have to deal with a very upset cat clinging onto her hair for dear life. It was an easier option to hand her companion off to be placed with her belongings. 

"I'll see you again soon, dear." Harmony cooed, before joining the others in her year. She never realized just how important this day was until that moment. Generations of students piled into the rickety boats, from her Grandparents, Hermione and Ron, to her father, Hugo, and now herself. All on this day, on this time. Harmony was anxious about getting in, she hated cold water and didn't want to get wet. Thankfully, Ralph and some other familiar faces found her boat and soon after the first years were off. 

With minimal flatulence from Ralph (Harmony was impressed with his digestive system's behavior given the very important day), their boat made it across the water. Next, they were ushered to a strange stone room, and the doors opened, revealing a crazy amount of people gathered in one place. Her mouth hung open in awe as she looked above at the enchanted lights that were mentioned in her well-loved copy of Hogwarts: A History. It clearly described the Great Hall in good detail, but nothing compared to being there in person. This was magic. 

When the first in their class to be sorted was announced, Harmony fell silent. Their house was called, the other students cheered loudly, and they were welcomed to their house table. Soon, that would happen to her. She felt her nerves, which were relatively absent the whole train ride, creep into her veins. What if the hat put her in Ravenclaw? Would her inherited intelligence be exposed for the world to see? Please not Ravenclaw. She silently begged before her name was called. I’m much more than my smarts. I am not just a brain. Her eyes longingly rested on the Gryffindor table for a brief moment. Would she be good enough to qualify? Brave enough to sit amongst the lions, like her family did years ago?

Then, a sound. 

“Granger-Weasley, Harmony!”

Well, this is it. She thought. After climbing on the platform, she proceeded to sit on the chair. The same hat that was placed on the head of her Father, Aunt, Grandmother, and Grandfather amongst many other relatives rested on her own bouncy curls. They said it could read minds, the inner most-wishes of those it was tasked with sorting. It was worth a shot to plead with it. If you can hear me, Hat. Harmony began, I’m much more than what I appear. Please, don’t put me in Ravenclaw just because of the intelligence I was born with. I’m brave and noble too, give me a chance to show it. 

Ah, Miss Granger-Weasley, aren’t we all much more than we appear? I myself appear to be simply a battered old hat, and yet here I am talking to you. Your intelligence is a gift, but I can see that it is only one part of everything that makes you who you are, and some of the other things in here are much more telling of where you belong. You are resourceful and ambitious, with a loyal streak that would make Helga proud. But it is your firm moral compass and noble heart that truly shine in you, and you will have a chance to show it in GRYFFINDOR!

Edited by Harmony Granger-Weasley

Margot du Courtois

There was so much history behind the Hogwarts castle, but that didn’t really matter to the young brunette. She was more into how prestine and ornate the objects looked, and when the castle came into sight her heart sunk down into her stomach. It wasn’t anything like her father had described Beauxbatons, no intricate layers of brickwork, no true design that would differentiate it from a normal muggle castle. Honestly, it looked like something a low-level peasant would’ve been trying to renovate or live in.

“That’s Hogwarts? I thought it was supposed to be majestic, beautiful, exquisite, a nd regal,” she looked over at Mae and sighed, “I have never been more disappointed in my entire life. Next to the descriptions I’ve heard Xavier and Anais give of Beauxbatons, I thought the second oldest wizarding school in the world would at least have some elegance, but no it’s got rustic charm. Whatever that bloody means.”

Salomé didn’t like the boat ride. There was something eerie about the black water that didn’t sit too well with the young girl so she was relieved when they were on land. Smoothing out the skirt of her robes, she glanced over at the castle and unlike her friend it was everything she expected. She and Samael use to speak of this day. Of course he would have been here the year before, but they were going to experience this together. Now she was alone.

That got depressing quickly. Glancing over at Margot, her disappointment took Salomé by surprise. “Really?” She didn’t feel that way. Yes, it was kind of rustic, and it wasn’t as grand as she expected, but it was still beautiful. “I think it’s lovely. Come on, Go.” She said looping their arms. “I am sure it’s nicer on the inside.”

Honestly, Margot wasn’t quite sure if Salomé was right about the castle looking nicer on the inside. Then again she was used to the expanse and beauty of the du Courtois Manor back in Buckinghamshire, and the entire façade of her family’s home really couldn’t be beat. She was almost sure that Mae would have to agree with that. Though, she hadn’t remembered the last time she had actually invited her to her home or even been over to Mae’s. It had to have been a while, but at least they had kept in contact.

“Maybe,” she nodded, “but if they don’t have a entire movie theatre in the building or three swimming pools, then I’m pretty sure we can both agree that my house is better. In fact, I think Hogwarts is smaller than my house.”

She paused, “Do you think I could sneak Henrietta in so she can do both of our homeworks?”

Salomé didn’t really mind the castle. Growing up, her house back home before they moved to London was huge. Maybe not as big as Margot’s but her parents never felt the need  to show up. Plus, she liked it. It was big enough for their family, they had a small quidditch pitch. It was wonderful. When the accident happened, they left. The memories were too hard to be around. Their house in London was smaller, but it was better that way even if she hated it.

“Why would they have movie theatres?”She asked, a confused look crossing her face. “We don’t need theatres. I heard they have towers, disappearing steps. I don’t know.” Sometimes Margot could be a bit much, but she liked that about her most the time. “Your house is wonderful, but this is a school. You realize you’ll have to share dorms with other people, right?”

They stepped into the castle, and it was huge. Old too. Salomé glanced around taking it in. Instead of the excitement she expected to feel, she felt a little sad. It was terrible. Her lips pressed together in a scold. “They aren’t going to sneak your maid in so she can do your homework. I am sure Henrietta has a life as well.”

“Share dorms with other people?”

She raised an eyebrow at Salomé in disgust, “Oh no, no, no, no. That is unacceptable. I must have my own room, that’s the only thing I’ll accept. I want, nay, I demand my own dorm. I have the money to get my way, remember?”

The next thing she knew they were near the front of the room when she heard her name called out.

“du Courtois, Margot.”

“Wow, you mispronounced every part of my name.”

Don't take it too personally, Miss Courtois! Our dear professors have to read scores of names every year, so you can understand if they make the occasional slip up, can't you? In fact, I believe you would do well overall to give your fellow human some more leniency. Actions and values, not money, are what define people and the divide I see between your actions and values is quite interesting. You live a privileged life, the way your parents raised you, and yet your heart bears whispers of fairness, loyalty, and diligence. It may be a bumpy start, getting used to your new house, but I'm confident they'll inspire you to be your true self in HUFFLEPUFF!

Salomé Schiferli

“They aren’t going to give you your own rooms.” Salomé couldn’t believe her parents didn’t prepare her for that. If anyone needed that, it was Margot.  It would be interesting to see how she reacted to sleeping in the same room as other people.

“I don’t think your money will get you your own private room, Go.” Though watch her proven wrong, and Margot gets her own house to herself or something. Glancing at the other girl, in a way it might protect others from her so maybe it was a good idea.
As they stepped into the room, and the house broke into song, Salomé waited patiently for her name to be called. Margot was first. “I bet mine will be too.”

And she waited.

And waited.

Finally, it was her turn.

“Schiferli, Salomé!”

Not only was her last name said incorrectly, but her first name was as well. Stepping towards the stool, she wrinkled her nose at the hat before pulling it on. Here goes nothing.

Margot watched Mae walk up to the sorting hat as she made it over to her new house table. She desperately hoped that the two of them would be in the same house, but she laughed at the pronunciation of Mae’s name. She called up towards her best friend, “Hey, at least yours was harder to pronounce!”

She rolled her eyes, “I’m still trying to figure out how she almost pronounced Margot as Maggot.” She waited for Mae getting sorted as she was still really trying to plan her entire plot to be able to get her own private dorm room.

“Don’t worry. IF I GET MY OWN DORM ROOM, I’LL ALLOW YOU TO SHARE IT!”

Once she was sorted, Salomé really hoped everyone forgot her name. It wasn’t even that she hated her name. She liked it quite a bit, but let’s face it. Being called Salami wasn’t her idea of a good time. Far from it easily. “Oh hush.” She mumbled.

She did hope they were sorted together. Glancing over she spotted Ralph, sending him a queer look before shaking her head.

“It won’t happen.” She told her. Where would they put her? In the broom closet?

Come now, Miss Schiferli, people might learn to pronounce your name if you gave them a chance. But I see that you aren’t one to put yourself out there, preferring to keep to yourself and protect your own interests. You’re a little reckless, too, but only for the sake of furthering yourself. Yes, I know the house for you, and it’s one that will respect your privacy while allowing you to test your limits. I hope you’ll feel right at home in SLYTHERIN!

Veillamoria Auguren Crux

The day had arrived. Veil couldn't contain herself. *Finally it's here, the day I start Hogwarts* She thought to herself. Her parents didn't really want her to go , but had allowed her to choose. She chose Hogwarts.  She had all her stuff packed already and was waiting for her Parents . Finally her parents where ready , and off they went. They made it to the Hogwarts Express. She said her good byes and hopped onto the train.

After a few hours, they made it to Hogwarts. She had along the way found an empty seat , and sat down. She could over hear some students talking about *Blood* status and gave a smirk. She turned to them and smiled " I would prefer it if it was only purebreeds, going to school, half breeds or even those with muggle parents, shouldn't be allowed in." She stated before grabbing a newspaper from it's stand, and began to read it. When they arrived in Hogwarts, she was the first one to get out, having shoved and tripped some of the other students, on her way out.

The place was dark, as the day waned into night. A shadow of light crossed her path where the game keeper held a lamp that emitted a small amount of light.  She paused before continuing on her way.

She climbed in to the first boat she saw and waited for the boats to move, which they did of their own accord. She smirked hidden in the shadows. She was happy to be here, even though her parents disapproved of her choice, they still allowed it. Her parents had been allowed in to Hogwarts, and graduated. Now it was her turn.

The boats reached the castle, and she immediately got out without being told too. Veil lead her class mates up the tunnel , and up the stone flight stairs to the Great Hall.  They entered the Great Hall and where met with stares from the older students as they filed into the room. The professor led them down the isle and then stopped them, in front to the hat, which was on top of a chair.

Veil glanced around the room, feeling confident in herself knowing the exact house she would be placed in. It would be the same house her Father and Mother used to have when they attended the school. She waited for her name to come. Finally the hat said her name .

"Crux, Veillamoria!"

She straightened her back and walked up to the hat, placing it upon her head and waited for it to decide. She kept saying "Slytherin, please say Slytherin" Over and over her in her head.  The room went quiet as the hat decided on where to place her.

My, my, relax, Miss Crux! I can guarantee that I won’t be placing you anywhere you don’t belong! Just give me a moment to sort through your head here… ah, yes. You have quite the high ambitions, don’t you? And a set-in-steel belief system to match! You’re resourceful and one founder in particular seems very interested in the ideas you’ve got brewing in this brain of yours. In fact, I think the two of you could have quite the conversation. Yes… there’s no need to make you wait any longer. I know just where you belong. Turn your head, Miss Crux, until you see the sea of green. Then stand right up and join those there in SLYTHERIN!

Edited by Veillamoria Auguren Crux

Nico Pichardo

It was a wonder (and somewhat of a blur as he'd tried to block certain parts out) he'd made it to this moment at all. For a few moments there on the train, he'd honestly wondered if he might die in that compartment and what sort of awful headlines they'd come up with. Nico shuddered, not even wanting to think about it, but he'd made it. He needed to focus on that, grateful to his cousin for saving them, but also kind of hoping she wouldn't ask for his first born or lifelong servitude in return, though.. saving him from the smell alone -- she'd deserve it.

Someone get the girl some cookies.

Anyway, he'd been ready for this moment since he could remember. Of course he had his doubts, worry that they wouldn't actually know where to put him. Not because he could end up any number of places but what if he was too boring to belong anywhere? Nico had the tendency to overthink when nervous, but he had to pull it together and with a gulp he squared his shoulders, determined. He would get through this and with a little luck he'd actually like where they put him.

"Pichardo, Nico!"

For all his bravado, his hands had turned sweaty and did those leg things even work anymore?! It felt like he was dragging himself along, probably looking like a zombie or some such thing, but finally.. he'd made it. Had it really taken ten hours? He couldn't help but wonder as they placed the hat on his head, knowing it'd felt like it. Do you really know everything? Have you ever had someone not belong anywhere? It was hard to slow the thoughts and questions racing through his head but Nico tried.

Do I know everything? Hardly, my dear boy! But I do know an awful lot about what the Hogwarts founders cherished in their students, and that was what I was made for; to decide where people best fit! I daresay there’s plenty of students who might do well in a couple different houses, but it’s my job to decide which wins out in the end. Take you, for example. Some might say your creative, clever mind would serve you best in Ravenclaw. And while I would agree, I don’t think we can ignore your reckless side, and your constant search for justice, which is what leads me to ultimately sort you into GRYFFINDOR!

Penelope Ng

It was something that Penny could wait for . But then again her brother and sister both told her " Whatever house you end up in , We will love you! " they stated to youngest ng kid. Well she was the youngest kids.  Penny knew that she might end in house that would be good for her. Then again maybe she would end up in house that was her sister house . That house was slytherin but Penelope Ng wasnt like Tate. She was more like her mommy and she knew that she might be sort in something that suit her. 

Now the brunette and somewhat curious girl  went into the place that seem to be the Hogwarts great hall. This place huge and spot the stool. The stool seem interesting and also seen the hat that got decided which house she went on. Penelope couldn't wait. 

So that being said. The brunnette began to wait for them to say her name. She couldnt wait and it was going be quite fun. 

" NG, PENELOPE" 

She finally heard her name. It was her time and she was so ready for this. " Oh that me." she said. She ran up to the stool and sat down wait to see wear she was going be send.  " Oh, Hi minster Hat! " she began. " My brother and sister told about you and they said you were nice hat. " she began again some more. " Well i hope you put me in gryffindor because that house for me please" she began . 

Hello, Miss Ng! Ahh, yes. I remember your siblings quite well. Hufflepuff and Slytherin, I believe they were. And very nice, too! And now, where to put you… Gryffindor, you say? Why, you certainly have the bravery to help you along in Godric’s house… and you’re daring, with the drive to put it to good use and fight for the rights of others around you. Helga would appreciate your kind heart and the loyalty you hold towards your family, but… yes. I see you following down a different path from your brother. Get ready to find yourself lots of adventures, for you’ll have plenty in GRYFFINDOR!

Cameron Hoofer

William is a NPC and Cameron's fraternal twin.

The day had finally come. It was a day Cameron had been waiting for since he was old enough to understand what Hogwarts was. Two years ago today, his older sister Alyssa had arrived, and she'd been sorted into Hufflepuff. Now it was finally time for Cameron, and his fraternal twin, William to be sorted. While Cameron was very nervous about their sorting, William was extremely excited. He'd talked non-stop all the way to Hogwarts. Cameron had tried to keep himself calm by reading some books, but his brother wouldn't allow it.

Personally, Cameron had hoped William would go and prank people in the other compartments. The weeks leading up to the first day of school, his brother had talked about all the pranks he would pull on the train, but he didn't. Cameron wondered if that meant William was more nervous than he'd let on. Usually, he wouldn't hold back when it came to pranking.

"Why are you so quiet?" William spoke now as they climbed out of the boats that had taken them to the castle.

"Just nervous," Cameron replied.

"Why? We know how we get sorted. You'll probably get Ravenclaw like you want, but I really think you should be in Gryffindor with me," William told him.

"We don't know where we will be for sure," Cameron argued. "Just because Alyssa got her wish, it doesn't mean we will."

William continued talking about they could both be Gryffindors and how amazing it would be. Cameron ignored him, but this didn't deter his brother from talking. He kept going on and on, even once they were inside. In fact, he wasn't quiet until they were in the Great Hall. One girl was reassuring the other first years, and it took Cameron a moment to realize that it was Elewyn. They'd met the previous summer when he and Alyssa had gone to Diagon Alley. He nudged William and pointed her out.

"I know, you told me about her at PHP," William replied with a shrug before glancing around. Cameron figured he was looking for Alyssa since he was scanning the tables.

Cameron thought Elewyn would be Hufflepuff. They hadn't really talked at PHP, but it wasn't because he hadn't wanted to. They'd just never had the opportunity, and William had taken up most of his time. It was one of the reasons he was happy to be at Hogwarts. They could finally do their own thing.

After the sorting hat sang it's song, Cameron watched as each of his classmates were called up. For once, he would be going up before his brother. For most of their lives, William always insisted on going first since he was the oldest twin. However, it was alphabetical order, so Cameron would be sorted first. He wondered if his brother would try to ignore this, but when he heard:

"Hoofer, Cameron," 

William didn't protest. Surprised, but not unhappy about this, Cameron moved forward to sit on the stool. Two years ago Alyssa had sat on this very spot with the hat on her head. Now it was his turn. He felt excited as the hat was placed on his head.

Hello, I know you probably get a lot of requests all the time, but please put me in Ravenclaw and away from William. I love my twin, but I need to get away from him so I can be my own person for once in my life. If you can't do that, I understand but Alyssa, my sister told me you took her wish into consideration two years ago. You sorted her into Hufflepuff where our parents were once. Anyway, I guess you have to do what is best for me. I won't be angry with you, don't worry.

That’s a very well thought out request, my boy! Very worthy of your desired house of Ravenclaw, I’d say, although I do have to admit, there’s a couple other houses who would covet you as well. Slytherin would appreciate your desire to strike out and blaze your own trails, while Hufflepuff would adore your strong loyalty and work ethic. But, I hardly think Ravenclaw is the wrong place for you! You have an analytical mind, and you value facts, as they can help you argue your point. I believe you’ll do just fine in your preferred house of RAVENCLAW!

Markus Robinson

It was the time that Markus wasn't sure he was ready for or not. The sorting. Markus had managed to escape the compartment that had been farted in finally, but it had been a LONG train trip. He was breathing clean, fresh air into his lungs which was amazing as he stood on the platform waiting to be directed. He had fleed away from Ralph from the moment the door had finally opened as he just wanted to get into fresh air.

But now he was alone on the platform with no friends really around him. He sighed and then heard that the first years were going into boats. He hurried that way and climbed into a random boat to be taken across the Lake. It was a nice ride, not rough or anything, and then Markus looked up and saw the Castle looming up in front of him. It looked beautiful, amazing, wonderful and WARM! Markus wrapped his cloak around him tighter, just waiting to get inside.

And soon they were in the Great Hall. There seemed to be a lot of 1st Year Students along with him, all waiting to be sorted just like him. He knew it would be awhile before he was going to be called, as he knew they started in alphabetical order, and his last name started with R. So he settled in in the crowd. The number of students slowly dwindled down, until finally, "Robinson, Markus" was called.

Mark stepped forward slowly, a little timidly, and sat down on the stool that was on the stage. He felt the hat slip onto his head and then waited. He didn't know which house he wanted really. He would be happy with anything really. Although maybe not Slytherin, but if that was where he belonged then he would learn to live with it he supposed.

Wouldn’t be happy with Slytherin, you say? Dear boy, let me assure you that Slytherin has had many great witches and wizards walk through its doors! Merlin was housed there, you know! But, if you’re sure… hold still now. Let me just take a peek in your head. Ahh, you’ve got a bit of a mischievousness in you, I see. Godric Gryffindor definitely has an appreciation for that and would love to have you join him! But, no… there’s more to you than that, isn’t there, Mr. Robinson? In you I see an inquisitive boy itching to further explore the world around you and there’s one house that’ll truly allow such curiosity to flourish! Are you ready? Then stand and march yourself over to RAVENCLAW!

Umar Grafton

"Grafton, Umar!"

They called his name and he slowly walked up the steps of the Great Hall, everything was intimidating but apparently, all he had to do was to sit at the stool and be sorted into one of the houses that were described by hat. A talking hat, now that was something you didn't see every day. 

Umar sat down  and immediately his gaze got lost on the details of the Great Hall. The candlelit roof, it was quite a surreal sight. The boy stumbled onto his own thoughts, thinking about the brief exchange of words with his father on the King's Cross station. How both father and son spent hours staring at the busy muggles from London hurrying across the station. People of all shapes and forms streaming with their suitcases to their destinations, and the Grafton's were just sitting on a bench staring at them. 

Umar remembered the words of his father...

"There is just something so soothing about watching these Muggles hurry to their destination." It was indeed relaxing to feel exempt from the rush of a busy train station and Umar was far too young to understand this, but one day the boy was going to appreciate the pleasure of just sitting and staring aimlessly. 

Umar then remembered his impressions the moment he entered Platform 93/4 it was as if the magical folk had more time than their Muggle counterparts. Yes, there was still a tint of haste in the pace of the mages but it wasn' t as frantic as that from the Muggles. Young Umar felt at ease, he was going away but he was certain that his parents were proud of him and that this train trip was going to lead to bigger and better things. How was his first year of magical education going to unravel? Umar was clueless and was quickly swamped by his expectations which made him stop reminiscing abruptly. His eyes looked around, only a few seconds had passed since he sat on the stool and the hat was about to be placed on his head. Here we go... The boy said to himself as he braced himself the worst.

Umar felt silly with the hat on his head and he quickly looked at the crowd of remaining unsorted students. His eyes locked at Salomé, he was still angry at her for lying to him when they first met. The most logical thing was to let her lie slide and forgive her, but eleven year olds are hardly reasonable and Umar let the little lie grow into an ill feeling. If you add on top of that he was sitting in front of his class with a talking dusty old rag we could understand how vulnerable he was feeling at that moment. Don' look at me funny while I have this thing on my head! Umar thought as he squinted his eyes at the girl. Ultimately he wished he ended up away from her, but he had no idea that the dusty old rag was deep inside his mind and his thoughts were there laying exposed connected to an enchanted boombox hat.   

Ah, don’t worry about whoever it is you’re thinking about, Mister Grafton, let’s have this moment be all about you! You’re an easy one to sort. With your values of fairness and equality for all deeply embedded in you, I think I could easily sort you just based on that. But backed up with your humble attitude and strong work ethic, I have no doubt your place is in HUFFLEPUFF!

Mabel Timlin

Mabel had naturally seen photos of Hogwarts. Tons of them,actually. In school her dad had been quite obsessed with his magical camera, so he had multiple albums filled with pictures of the castle. Despite all these pictures that Mabel had seen, the sight of the castle from the boats was still breathtaking.

The moonlight illuminated the castle in a way that emphasized the magical nature of the looming building. Every window was bright with the flickering lights inside, and in the distance Mabel could see the quidditch goals rising high above the pitch. Mabel had truly never seen anything as beautiful as her new school was at this moment.

After they docked the boats, they walked through the huge main doors of the castle. On the boats the castle had looked impressive, but up close like this the castle was ginormous. Mabel had to crane her head all the way back to see the tops of the doors, but she didn’t have long to look. They were being ushered to the Great Hall where the sorting ceremony would take place.

Mabel followed her peers into the Great Hall and looked at the faces of the older students as she walked past them. Seated at the long tables, it looked like there were a million people there. Of course there were probably only a couple hundred, but in such a big room it was easy to exaggerate. As Mabel was thinking all this, the sorting ceremony got under way.

The Hat sang a most beautiful song (how could a hat have such a lovely voice?) and then they began calling up the first years. Mabel zoned out a little bit, since her last name started closer to the end of the alphabet, but after what seemed like ages, they got to the end of the Ss.

And finally, “Timlin, Mabel!”

Mabel took a deep breath and walked to the front of the room. She sat down on the stool, and as the hat was lowered onto her head, Mabel could only think about how this was start of the rest of her life.

The start of the rest of your life, eh Miss Timlin? What an optimistic way of looking at your new house, but then I would expect nothing less from you. Optimism and determination seem to drive you, although only to things to will benefit you, and you have enough cunning and resourcefulness to help you along the way. One founder is crying out to have you join his house, and I see no reason to deny him. Go ahead and start the rest of your life in SLYTHERIN!

Persephone Dimitriou

This was all extremely cliche.  Was everything in the Magical World pumpkin themed?  It certainly seemed like it.

Persephone hadn't done much reading about Hogwarts.  She figured she would learn as she went along.  Besides, that summer school was all about prepping them for this, wasn't it?  So she stood back and listened to the others making much about which house they would be sorted into.

UGH, houses.  Houses were only good if you liked sports and competition.  Persephone was not entirely against competition, but she was opposed to competing in a competition designed to put everyone on their best behaviour, or make them try to get the best marks.  Did the teachers really think everyone couldn't see through that?

Eventually, they were all ushered into The Great Hall.  It looked a little like Edinburgh, but quite a bit bigger.  And that put Persephone out of sorts, of course, because why should magic school be bigger than a proper castle?  It was just showing off.

Not too impressed with Hogwarts thus far, Miss Dimitriou? Well, you have seven years to warm up to it, and despite your seeming disdain for being split into houses, I do think there’s a couple of our houses that will fit you quite magnificently! Take Gryffindor, for example, where your unabashed boldness would fit right in. But no, I sense a better fit. I think your tendency to weigh the options before acting and passion for debates will fit right into RAVENCLAW!

Bradie Jephson

She had already seen what the promise of Hogwarts could be for her - from the horseless carriages that took the other students, to the castle that was visible from the boats that pulled the first years along. It looked impressive in the dark, the lights inside making it glimmer in the nighttime light and Bradie found herself drawn to it. Something in it was calling to her and she wanted to capture whatever that promise had in store for her. 

Her breath caught as the door opened to the Great Hall and if Bradie had been caught up in the mystique that was Hogwarts before, she was even more so now. "Wow," she breathed as she stood there, shivering from having come on the icy cold lake and standing outside for what seemed like, at least to her, the better part of an hour. In reality, it was only about 10 or 15 minutes or so. The Great Hall looked magnificent, and it was filled with students and ... was it her imagination, or did she see the image of a headless ghost float by? The first student was called and Bradie spent the time looking around, noticing the slightest things from the professor that was drooped over in sleep to the fact that one of them had their cup on the opposite side of everyone else. 

Jephson, Bradie!

She was nearly startled when the Sorting Hat called her name; so rapt in attention to everything around her but the sorting Bradie had been. She hoped she hadn't actually jumped backwards, but her heart certainly had skipped a beat or two. After a few breaths to calm herself down again, Bradie moved, trying not to think about the fact that she was in front of so many other students all waiting for the first years to be sorted. Bradie could see some of their expressions from where she stood. Some of them looked like they just wanted the process to be hurried up so they could eat. Others were whispering to their friends, not paying any attention. A few others looked on with curiosity. It all made Bradie wonder how she looked to them?  But where would the Sorting Hat place her? She was curious to find out. 

Now, don’t worry yourself too much over what the others are thinking, Miss Jephson! It won’t be long before they’re where you are, too! Just focus on your breathing… yes, just like that! And this will all be over soon. I just need to take a small peek in your head… why, aren’t you a bright little thing? You’re imaginative… creative… insightful… all things Rowena would love to have under her roof. And you’re clever too, sure to put it to good use! But there’s more… you’re also kind, forgiving, and loyal. Ensuring the happiness of others is important to you and that is a very admirable thing, especially so to one founder in particular. Are you ready, Miss Jephson? I think your classmates are ready for you to join them in HUFFLEPUFF!

Aurora Turlough

Aurora Turlough was a happy child. She had a good life, loving parents, and plenty of things to keep her entertained. From Quidditch in her Aunt’s backyard, to ballet, to karate, and an overwhelming amount of books. She had everything she could possibly want, except for maybe a bit of height. Her twin brother now had three clear inches on her, and it might not seem like much, but… it was three inches that he lorded over her. It made a difference.

A clear three inch difference.

And yet, she still rode on the Express in the same compartment as Vito, and bickered back and forth with him, because as much as she could take, she gave it all right back to him. Their brothers split off as soon as they left their family on the platform. Hot shot Gryffindors, they were. Too cool to sit with their unsorted siblings. Whatever. Aurie was over it. Maybe. Stupid Davis and CJ and her sheer dumb bad luck that they were born first.

After getting off the Express, and floating across the lake in the chilly, foggy evening air, Aurora and Vittorio were walking into the Great Hall. And for the first time, she believed that Davis and CJ weren’t entirely lying about how awesome Hogwarts was.

“Wow,” she said as she looked up at the enchanted ceiling.

I hate when you do that. Vittorio. Aurie looked over at her brother and narrowed her eyes at his smirk, thus prolonging the awkward moment. He might blame them on her, but then at the same time, they were also his fault. They were awkward together, and it was decidedly the curse of the twins.

Of course, her name started with an A, which meant she was going to be called first. Naturally, she stepped in front of her brother, and when he was behind her back, she let a small smile creep on her face, because this always happened. Merlin bless having a first name at the beginning of the alphabet. She would never rub it in, though. Just the fact that he was behind her (however taller) was reminder enough of her awesomeness.

Finally, they came to the T’s. “Aurora Turlough!” was called out, and she grinned broadly. Her parents had both been Ravenclaws. Most of her extended family had been Ravenclaws, too. Once she sat herself on the stool, she was confident that she had this in the bag. She wasn’t going to screw this up by being sorted into Gryffindor like her older brothers had been. What an embarrassment, being the sons of two Ravenclaws.

The hat was placed upon her head, and she couldn’t help but think to herself, They say you can read my mind, or something. Fancy bit of magic, that. I want to do impressive things like this when I’m older. My twin brothers are in Gryffindor, but I don’t know… My mum and dad are Ravenclaws. I don’t know about that, either. I don’t know where I belong.

And that was frightening.

Ah yes, it is frightening not to know where you’ll fit, isn’t it? Not to worry though, Miss Turlough! That’s why I’m here and I promise I’ll put you right where you belong! Just wait a moment while I look through this head of yours… my, you’re going to be a difficult one to sort, aren’t you?! You’re determined and resourceful, both qualities Slytherin would love to have under his roof, but your insistence that everyone be treated with fairness and respect has me believing you’re a better fit elsewhere. Equality for all is important to you and that has Helga’s interest piqued, but you’re also strong and brave and hold steadfast to what you believe is right. With a moral compass as strong as yours, it would be a disservice to put you anywhere else. Are you ready, Miss Turlough? Then stand now and join your brothers in GRYFFINDOR!

Henry Sanders-Banagher

One of his dads had been in Gryffindor and one of his dads had been in Hufflepuff. Henry had to wonder if he was about to follow in one of their footsteps. He hadn't given the houses too much thought, but now that he was standing in the Great Hall, ready to be sorted and meet his housemates for the first time, he couldn't get it out of his head. 

What if he became a Ravenclaw? Or a Slytherin? Would they be disappointed in him? What would it say about him if he wasn't in either of their houses? His mum wasn't in either of those houses--in fact, she hadn't gone to Hogwarts at all. Was it possible that the Sorting Hat could be placed on his head and it would tell the whole school that a mistake had been made?

"SANDERS-BANAGHER, HENRY!"

His name being called shook the thoughts from his mind. No, there wasn't a reason to worry yet. Surely, the Sorting Hat would be able to find a house for him. It was called the Sorting Hat, after all, which meant that it had to be good at sorting everyone, even if they were feeling uncertain about where they might belong.

He took a deep breath as he walked up and the hat was placed on his head. 

I'm not sure if you can talk, but I'm not really sure which house fits me. I wonder if you remember my dads--Alex Sanders and Shane Banagher? Did you sort them too? Am I like them or am I meant to go somewhere else? They're the best, Mr. Hat--I assume Sorting must be your first name, do you prefer to go by that?--nevermind. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just want to know that I belong somewhere, here. 

Rest assured, my boy, there’s a place for everyone here! And I do recall both of your dads, as I sorted them both. Alex into Gryffindor, and Shane into Hufflepuff… but you already knew that, didn’t you? I actually think you could do well in a different house entirely - Ravenclaw would love your observant, creative nature… and yet I feel there’s more to you than that. Your strong work ethic, loyalty to your friends, and caring personality pull me instead to the house of one of your fathers. Go follow his footsteps in HUFFLEPUFF!

Caoilainn Joyce

Cate had no shame.

She never had.  In all likelihood, she never would.  There was no point in feeling any sort of anxiety or embarrassment over the fact that her name would be called and she'd have to march her scrawny self up to that chair and sit down in front of all those people who were watching her, waiting for the hat's reaction.  Her father got up in front of hundreds of thousands of people all the time.  This was pocket change in comparison.

The green-eyed soon-to-be first year stared up at the ceiling, at the stars that hung above them like there was no ceiling at all and the long, seemingly impossibly large tables laden with food that played host to the four houses, among them the one that would lay claim to Cate herself.  Afterward, she was going to write to her parents and have a Very Long Talk with @Cassian McAvoy who was supposed to be a muggle.

Joyce, Caoilainn.

The pronunciation of her name was, as per the usual, butchered to hell and back again and Cate rolled her eyes, making her way up to the hat in her dress-code breaking jelly shoes (with extra sparkles) and her heart shaped sunglasses in her tangle of wild black curls, which, following the train, were only half braided anymore.

Glancing back, she spied @Honorine Nott, with whom she had almost committed murder a few weeks back and shot her a knowing grin, all wide and toothy for extra effect, before she sat down and let the hat sink onto her head.

"Do your worst," she whispered, looking up toward the ceiling because it rather felt like she should have been looking at the thing she was talking to but obviously that wasn't possible so she had to make due with whatever was closest.

My worst, Miss Joyce? Why would I do my worst, when my best is much better? If you wanted me to do my worst, I would place you in a house to which you would loathe to be in, and yet, there is an irony there, because my best would be to do exactly that. You possess a great strength and boldness, and your unwavering definition of right and wrong would have me believe you belonged with Godric. You're daring, and unafraid of a challenge, but you're also determined. Very determined, and you won't let anything stand in your way. That persistence and tenacity will serve you extremely well in another house, and while Godric would never let me hear the end of it, I'm quite confident to place you in SLYTHERIN!

Edited by Caoilainn Joyce

Dorian MacDermott

Dorian could not believe what he was seeing. Not only was the school an actual effing castle, complete with towers, an enchanted lake and apparently a massive squid eyeing them from the depths while the unmanned boats they’d been hustled into drifted towards the school and a new adventure for many of them. Everything seemed to move on its own, including the massive wooden doors that opened as they stepped towards the entrance as one before being ushered into what had to be the biggest room he’d ever seen.

There’d been no pictures of the place. Just plenty of talk about how grand it all was, its ranking among the top safest schools in the country and Dorian, despite himself had thought of a manor house that’d been given an insanely large landscaping budget but not much else near the living quarters. He couldn’t’ see them now, but Dorian was sure there’d been no skimping on the budget for this place, at least not when the place held more people than he imagined it could.

The tables they walked between seemed to go on for miles, and despite the brave disinterested faces some of his peers were putting on, Dorian stared openly, tripping into a few of his soon-to-be classmates several times before the group stopped as one, stood in front of the Head Mistress, and looking for all the world like some sort of sacrifice she was about to offer up to the gods.  

Dorie gulped, his eyes catching the almost white blonde of who he hoped was Jack as he seemed like something to focus on so he wouldn’t completely lose his mind and either start demanding to be left off this insane ride, or some second thing that would probably get him laughed out of sodding Scotland.

Too soon his name was called and Dorian, not expecting it, stood there blinking around and wondering why his peers were stood staring at him like they were waiting on him…

MacDermott, Dorian!” someone called again and with a sinking feeling in his gut but a pep in his step, Dorian pushed through the crowd, his eyes wide as he eyed the stool and the moving hat in the woman’s hands. She was going to put that on him?  Looking back for one more hope of an exit, Dorian settled onto the stool, unable to help the hunch in his shoulders as she placed the thing on his head.

Is it gonna eat my brain?! He wondered, startling so hard he nearly toppled off the stool when the thing started to talk to him.

I will most certainly not eat your brain, Mister MacDermott! I prefer to peer into them, not turn them into snacks. Besides, I don't have much of an appetite as a hat, anyway! So let's begin, shall we? You're quite the interesting case. Were you of wizarding ancestry, I might be persuaded to give you over to Salazar, but perhaps those of Helga's would suit you better. However, that wouldn't be the right fit, not with how you view others so suspiciously. And yet, despite that lingering doubt in others, I also see your heart for them, and the way you would stand for others wrongfully accused. That settles it, then! Define yourself, and grow stronger so that your justice may be enacted, in GRYFFINDOR!

Edited by Dorian MacDermott

Alexandria Shane

It felt like ages have passed till they arrived at Hogsmeade. The trip for the most part was quite pleasant. No big surprises, no fights, no harsh words exchanged. In other words, Alex got to know a few rather lovely people. More or less. Now that they were at the Hogsmeade train station, she waited for the next step. Which was Hogwarts of course. Sooner than she expected someone yelled for all 1st years. The rest of the students as she saw were going another way. Interesting. Their way was towards the lake. Alex saw the group of wooden boats awaiting them. Her and 3 more people joined in one and when everyone was aboard, the boats started on their own. Alex lost herself, watching intensively the dark waters. Her reflection shimmered, but she was able to see that there was also something moving. Right under their boats. It was following them. 

She never made out what exactly that was, but she knew that she had an enormous smile on her face when they stepped out of their boats and went inside the castle. 

By now, she had seen plenty of pictures from Hogwarts. Therefore she hardly needed someone to tell her that they were right outside the Great Hall. The castle overall was dimly lit, which created a veil of mysteriousness all over the gothic architecture. 

Once more she got startled by the arrival of another person that led them inside the Great Hall. 

It was exactly as she saw in the pictures. The great table where the teachers sat, the four tables one for each house, the hourglasses for the house points, the candles that floated, the ceiling that resembled the night sky. Sorting ceremony. "This is exciting!" she chirped, trying to glimpse over to where the Sorting Hat was placed. 

One after the other, the first years were being sorted. Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw again. She lost track of who was sorted where. 

"Shane Alexandria!"

The stern voice called her forth and she obeyed. "Hi, pleasure to meet you." She said towards the professor and took her sit on the stool. Once the hat was on top of her head she giggled. "Oh hey hat. Pleasure to meet you as well. How's everything?"

Well hello, Miss Shane, it’s a pleasure to meet you too. What a polite and well-mannered young lady you are, and… what’s this? Morals are practically spilling from every corner of your mind! I’m in no doubt of where to send someone who is guided so much by what they think is right, and that is the house of the lions. Your moral compass will serve you well in GRYFFINDOR!

Jessie Winthorn

She didn't know if she was ready.

Gone were the days that Jessie’s mother would soak their clothes in vinegar when the machine broke - the days when whether or not they had a meal depended on if they could afford one. Once, when Diane had lost her third job, Jessie and her brother had eaten nothing but scrambled eggs for weeks. Even at their lowest lows, however, she always had mornings with cups of coffee (always black – Jessie had been drinking coffee since age seven, and anything sweet tainted it). Her energy during those days was liquid, stemmed from the caffeine that coursed through her veins. She appreciated little things, like coffee beans and the way the scent of them filled her whole kitchen.

She always had nights, too, which felt the most like hers. She liked when she noticed a child afraid of the dark, because it reminded her that she wasn't. 

Sometimes she showed up at school and sometimes she didn't. Every day was similar, though, with the local music festivals she occasionally attended adding the only bit of color. 

Her family was scattered. One of her last memories she had with her father before he left (before her life changed for the first time in a series of changes that would happen through the years) was when he took her on a vacation to the sea. It was evening, which made no sense to her (why would anyone go to the beach at night?), but when they arrived, she understood. She remembered sitting on the boulders and dangling her bare feet over the quarry, then climbing down and sinking into the cool sand. She’d fallen in love with the moon that day, and her father had told her it was her gift. She’d seen him use his wand to light the fire, but of course, when Jessie was younger, magic existed anyway, and it was normal.

She, Chase, and Alexander had sat around the campfire and toasted s’mores in the speckled darkness, the sky filled with the sound of the ocean's waves. She'd felt safe, and happy. Surreal - like now. Diane hadn't been there because she'd been working, and Jessie hadn’t realized at the time that her father had lost his job the day before.

Jessie missed the days before she realized things. Knowledge, so often, felt like a curse.

Now, however, she realized there was so much she had left to realize. For the first time in so long, she had possibilities. Maybe she’d learn to cook or take up a hobby beyond music. She could even knit. She could think about things beyond the small scope of what she knew.

This is how the other half lives, she thought as she blinked at the towering walls, as she was siphoned into the Great Hall with the rest of the pre-sorts. The shimmering lights and enchanted ceiling dazzled and overwhelmed her senses. She would never run out of food or have to use her resourcefulness to comfortably live. She wouldn’t have to eat frozen dinners and cover herself in cold cloths when the AC broke at night.

She was still trying not to associate herself with other people until she gauged the scene. She thought if she hung her head down and hid under her tangle of dark hair during the ceremony, maybe no one would notice her and she could pick her own house.  It seemed to work, until it didn't. The shadows slipped away at the sound of her name - "Winthorn, Jessie" - one of the last names called. 

Jessie didn't meet anyone's gaze as she stood up, and instead watched the ground, weaved through the candlelit path and finally sank onto the chair. This was clearly a key moment, and although it felt childish, she wished her mum was there to watch her. Diane wasn't a regular mum, though - she was a friend mum - (although, Jessie wondered how many people thought that about their mums).

Thinking of her mum as the hat was lowered onto her head was, somehow, calming. She tried, too, to look brave and nonchalant so no one would see the latent fear. Sort me, she thought. I'm ready

Your wish is my command, Miss Winthorn, and you’ll be sorted before you know it. I just have to take a little look inside your head so I know what I’m working with. Hmm… I see… You believe in being honourable and reliable at all times, and you value hard work and earning the things you have. There’s only one place for you, and that is HUFFLEPUFF!

Edited by Jessie Winthorn

Benji Fontaine

It was finally here! The day Benji hoped was sooner to come, he hopped off the train to Hogwarts. Down to Hogwarts all the first years went, and then, they were in. Hogwarts looked so much cooler when you were actually in it, the building was huge and looked very cool.

He then got a glimpse of whats next, the sorting hat lay lying on the table. He wondered what he would get, most of his brothers got Hufflepuff, some Gryffindor and one Ravenclaw. It was hard to decide which house he would be in. He hoped to be in Hufflepuff, most of his brothers were in there and he always liked it. It would be pretty cool to be in Gryffindor though, he was adventurous and very outgoing. But he did not want to be in Slytherin.

He waited for his turn as more people passed by. Some looked very excited for the house they were chosen in, some were not. He waited for his turn and when it began, he hopped up onto the stool and the sorting hat was placed on his head.

Before this, he was planning to greet the hat nicely and everything. But instead something very different came out. As soon as the hat was put on, his mind then became saying "please Huffepuff, please Hufflepuff." And then, his house was chosen.

My! It seems you’ve already decided where I should sort you, Mister Fontaine! Hufflepuff does seem to call to you as well, I must say. Between your loyalty to those close to you, your belief in putting hard work in to get good out, and your empathetic nature, I do believe you will be best suited to your desired house of HUFFLEPUFF!

Edited by Benji Fontaine

Laurie Little

Overhead the sky churned. Laurie charted the hulking clouds in their perpetual motion, shrouding the stars that otherwise might’ve anchored him. He liked to stare into their unfathomable brightness when the world failed to cease its spin. In Corrie, Laurie knew them all. The darkness had hung overhead without thought spared for otherwise lighting the way. It’d been conducive to star-ogling. He would never consider himself an expert in the way others might, Laurie having never been one to presume himself Better or indeed Good at all, but there’d been comfort in knowing that if he turned his cheek just so, Orion would light his way.

The regimented lines of candles that now drifted above did nothing of the sort. Alarmingly, they floated of their own accord. Although equipped now with a wand, the very idea that anyone, much less Laurie himself, might have prompted the sight remained baffling. He wanted to stretch out his fingers and trace the lines of a candlestick he otherwise knew well -- but unease, insecurity, tightened his fingers to a fist, bunched carefully into the robes that remained a bizarre anomaly themselves. The pilgrimage to the front of the yawning expanse proved problematic swathed in the material. Stubbornly, the robes tangled themselves about his legs and he stumbled, uncertain, amongst the cluster of his peers. 

To what, exactly, Laurie didn’t know. A ceremony, of sorts, or a sorting, and already he didn’t at all like the sound of that. There was a hat, that much he’d discerned -- but hats didn’t know a thing, did they, and if they did, Laurie fancied that they’d spent enough time occupying the heads of fools to be riddled with nonsense to boot. 

Still, no one else seemed to object. With an expression of horror tinged with morbid fascination, Laurie watched the performance: the names, the stool, the hat, the decision. The talking hat. A hat that spoke. Laurie’s jaw dropped; slack and bewildered, he charted the demarcation of his classmates to one table and then another, and another, and wondered whether that had to mean anything at all. 

“Little, Laurie!”

His cheeks burned. Little Laurie. The epithet sounded somehow a mockery; Laurie paused, weighing the risks of legging it entirely. Corrie couldn’t be too far, could it? But the impulse seemed a humiliating one, and his self-respect had not been entirely abandoned on the train (contrary, perhaps, to popular belief), and his legs carried him absently up to the stool. He trembled. He closed his eyes long before the musty darkness of the hat enveloped him. 

There was nothing then, for a moment, only his quiet fear thrumming rabbit-quick beneath his skin and the impenetrable foreboding of an entire castle watching. Silently, Laurie waited, and wondered whether this might be the end before he’d even truly begun. 

You can take a deep breath, Mister Little, this is far from the end. It’s only the beginning of your journey! I’m sure you’ll find a place here, and friends, although sadly likely not a new alpaca friend. But there are other creatures you could befriend… but I digress. I can see your humble attitude and desire for fairness fitting well into Hufflepuff, but I'm uncertain that's the place for you. No, I think your inquisitive mind will be much better served in a different house. Dream on, Mister Little, because your place is in RAVENCLAW!

Alexander Crow

Alex shuffled his feet nervously as his eyes darted across the room. He wasn't used to being around so much people, let alone be living with them for the next seven years of his young life. It didn't seem that long ago when he woke up to the smell of eggs and sausage frying in the kitchen. His mum made him eat an extra helping although he didn't have much appetite as  the nerves turn into uneasy stomach churning. "I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends dear" Mummy Crow was quite the optimist, despite the fact that her little eleven year old wasn't big on making friends. He tried not to cry when Mum, Dad, and even annoying older sister Penelope said their goodbyes at King's Cross. He made a mental note to bug them with letters everyday, okay maybe except Penelope.

Nerves and home sickness aside, Alex found the place quite enchanting. Being the only magical one in the family, he found himself living a fantasy novel. Moving portraits, inanimate objects moving by themselves, things disappearing and reappearing out of thing air. He was looking forward to spending the next years learning it all, maybe even mastering it! Maybe  Penelope will think twice about making snide remarks about him in front of her friends (especially Sarah, who has the prettiest brown eyes he has ever seen) if she knew he could turn her into a toad or something. Maybe she'll try to be nice instead of treating him like a nuisance. Like that time she yelled "MUM! Alex is bothering is AGAIN!" that one time he peeked into her room to say hi to Sarah while they were painting their nails and talking about boys. 

"Crow, Alexander!"

Alex's thoughts snapped back to earth at the sound of his name. Uh oh, the moment of truth. Did he really need to do this in front of everyone? What if he tripped? What is he turned really red like he usually does when he feels like dying from embarrassment? Wasn't there some sort of written test he could instead of having to go in the center of a room with a million or so pairs of eyes gawking at him? This must be how zoo animals feel. 

Alex made his way across the room, trying to avoid everyone's gaze. As much as he dreaded this moment, he was curious to know what the musty old hat will say to him. It talks right? This is going to take a lot of getting used to...

I do indeed talk, Mr Crow! I am a hat of many talents, although my biggest is looking inside your brain, and that is exactly what I’m going to do now. You’re a timid young man, but there’s a curiosity here that is yearning to get out. And intelligence! Oh, you are a smart one, who doesn’t like to be wrong. I know the perfect house for you, and their love of learning will suit you perfectly. Off you go to RAVENCLAW!

Matilda Hobbs

The events of the past hour had gone just about the way Matilda had expected. She was currently drenched--by her own doing but not because she'd fallen into the water. On the contrary, it was because she'd knocked an innocent overboard. Asher was soaked head to toe and because Matty was a lunatic with absolutely no control over her facial expressions, every time she looked over at him she started to crack up. Needless to say, he didn't appreciate it.

The blonde had found herself separated from her boat mates. Matty found herself unbothered. For the moment she walked up to the castle she couldn't even feel the chill she was catching on her wet skin.

In its place came a rumbling from deep inside her ribcage. She was aware that for some of these kids nothing about this was impressive. They knew they'd be coming here when their biological clocks ticked eleven. But for Matilda. For Matilda all of her childhood games were becoming a reality. Sure, she wouldn't get dinosaurs here. But she'd get creatures she'd never imagined existed. She couldn't count on all her extremities how many times she'd pretended she was a witch with her sister in their backyard, at the local parks, in the city library. Matilda had been kicked out of almost every public building within a 20 mile radius of her apartment because of her games. So even though she wasn't going to become Indiana or Lara or Luke... this was just as good.

She was becoming a Gandalf.

Or at least that was what she thought.

Every few minutes, however, Lorna would come to mind and she'd have to swat at the thought until it wisped away once more. While all of this was wildly intoxicating, it was difficult not to think of her twin, sitting at home, getting ready for another normal school year. She'd facetime--well, no, she'd write her as soon as she got to her room. They promised each other they'd stay as involved as they could in each other's lives. Letters seemed archaic, especially when carried by owls, but the pair found it strangely fun.

Names had started to be called after a brief welcome, bringing Matty out of her thoughts. Now she found herself practically vibrating. Ralph, her nose picking, dino loving, new friend was the first name she had any reaction to. That reaction being two huge thumbs up that she had to raise all the way above her head to make sure he'd see. Hamilton--that meant she'd be soon, if not next--

"Hobbs, Matilda!"

The eleven year old practically squawked in response. She wiggled her way to the front of the crowd, hip checking Finn into Asher as she went. With absolutely no grace to speak of, Matty took her seat on the stool. She gave Hen a quick 'pew pew' with her finger guns before digging her nails into her knees in anticipation as the hat came to rest on her head.

Hmm… GRYFF-… no…. HUFF-… no… oh, I’m sorry! Am I making you anxious? It’s not intentional, I promise! Just trying to find the perfect house and there are two lovely founders offering very convincing arguments to have you! You’re a very forgiving girl and that coupled with the maturity you present when faced with potential altercation has Helga very much calling your name. You’re fair and loyal and your ability to offer forgiveness when wronged is a rare trait to be found. But… you’re also bold, and daring, and determined to follow down the path you’ve chosen to be the right path for you. You hold confidence and bravery and a brazen attitude that would allow you to hold your own among the adventurous people of Gryffindor. So… where to put you? You, my girl, are a very difficult case, but with such a brazen spirit it better be… GRYFFINDOR!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.