Pali Dotchev

I will find my way, I can go the distance

Pali Dotchev

It had been raining all morning. Pali had been looking out the window in class instead of concentrating on the subject of the lessons. Watching the rain, she hoped it would clear up in time for their lunch break so that they could go outside. It was now lunch time and thankfully it had stopped raining. But it hadn't cleared up, it was still wet outside. 

Puddles were scattered over the grass. Deep puddles. Good puddles. 

The fight Pali had had with her Mum this morning over not being able to find her Pink Glitter wellies had been worth it. She had truly needed them at the time to match her pink glitter tutu she had insisted on wearing. But now she was glad she was wearing them. This was perfect. She stood at the door leading outside. The rest of her classmates almost scared to go out into the park. 

But not Pali. 

She threw a defiant fist in the air and yelled out "LAST ONE TO JUMP IN A PUDDLE'S A ROTTEN DOXY!" Out she ran, dark hair flying wildly behind her. She definitely wasn't going to be last in those glorious puddles. 

Griselda Rice

Griselda had been a bit distracted all day. For one, it was raining, and Griselda really enjoyed rain. Second, one of her classmates was wearing P I N K W E L L I E S ermagerd and a majestic tutu as a skirt to boot! But the wellies though. They weren't just super pretty and sparkly, but also really practical now that the grounds were bound to be muddy. Griselda had just worn a dress and sandals because the sun had been out that morning.

She did at least have a pretty bow in her hair that her mum had charms moving unicorns on.

Break time! The girl with the wellies was the first out of the gate, and Gri felt a thrill of delight as she heard the challenge being fired through the air. Sure, she was wearing sandals, but that was what cleaning charms existed for.

"Wait for me!" she called out, running after the girl, forgetting that wellies had a lot more grip on slippery grass than cute little summer sandals. "Eeeeek—!"

With a less than graceful slide, Griselda shot past, a wave of water skidding off the side of her shoes, drenching her right side entirely in mud. For a second, she looked aghast, then reminded herself it wasn't exactly that she was wearing cashmere. "I'm not a rotten doxy!"

Mabel Timlin

Bored out of her mind in class, Mabel spent the entire morning lesson staring out the window, tracking the progress of the rain. Though a lot of people complained about this kind of weather (and seriously those people should move to a different country), Mabel enjoyed it. Rain was pretty, and it set the mood for a cozy day reading and knitting by a fire. Plus she loved the way it sounded when it pounded on the rooftops. Mabel was mesmerized, but by lunch the rain had stopped and the sun was started to peek out from behind the clouds.

Mabel began to pull out the lunch that her mum had made her for the day, but stopped almost immediately because one of the girls shouted out that they should race to the puddles. Mabel loved competitions, so she was pretty happy that she was wearing her dark green wellies. If she had on any other footwear she might not have participated. Smiling, Mabel pushed some people out of her way to get to the door. She followed a girl wearing sandals out and immediately jumped into a large puddle, splashing the water about.

The sandals girl slid past, getting covered in mud and shouting that she wasn't a rotton doxy. "Me neither!" Mabel shouted. She splashed around in the puddle some more, then realized she didn't know the girls who had come out as well. "I'm Mabel. And you really shouldn't wear sandals in the rain. My mum says toes out in the rain will lead to a cold." This girl could get sick from her inappropriate shoe choice.

Pali Dotchev

Pali had been too busy dancing in the murky puddles. Plunging her glittery wellies in and out of the mud, and definitely splashing a lot of it around as she did so. Thank Merlin her Mum was quite proficient in the scourging charm and her tutu was never too dirty to be thrown out. Because at the moment she was covered in mud, and as she reached up, trying to brush some of her wild curls back from her face, it was quick transferred to her hair. Ooops. 

Oh well. She was quickly distracted when a girl slid past her, skimming the mud in some sandals. "Oh dear. Nice slide though!" she could only mutter to herself. Until a third girl joined in, then she nodded in agreement. "Yes you need some wellies too, like mine. Those sandals are no use" She bit her lip, momentarily hesitant in case she had upset Griselda. But it passed quickly enough when Mabel then started talking about getting sick. 

"But then she can take some pepper up potion! It makes basically everything better, my Mum and Papa give it to me all the time when I'm sick" She nodded, setting her wild curls free again. She felt she needed to give the first girl some reassurance. "So even if you do get sick it'll be ok! I'm Pali, what's your name?" 

Griselda Rice

Happy to have avoided her rotten doxy fate, Griselda lifted herself out of the mud, glancing down to observe the damage. Mud was obscuring her pedicure, the bright blue polish she'd put on a few days ago only peeking through on a few toes. Then there was the Situation with her dress, with was filthy, but more importantly, kind of wet, and suddenly it was rather cold.

She pouted a little when the other girls mentioned wellies. "I know, I thought it was going to be nicer today." And to be fair, cute as they could be, wellies were uncomfortable to wear. Her eyes widened a little when the other girls said she could get sick from being out like this—Griselda had never been sick in her life. At least, not that she could remember.

All right, so there was the occasional potions mishap where the testing batch her mum had made wasn't up to snuff, but that didn't really count in Zelda's opinion. Plus she had worn her mother's patented Germinator most days, so naturally that meant she had to be sick less than the general population.

"I'm Griselda," she introduced herself, cheerfully nonetheless. "It'll be all right, it's not that cold! And my mum will have me cleaned up in a whip." It wouldn't be the first time Zelda came home a bit worse for wear than she'd left. "I'm wet now anyway, so let's see who can make the biggest splash! I'll start!"

Zelda didn't expect herself to win, but that was why she had to be the one to start, of course—hers wouldn't look good if it went after the wellies-wearer's attempts. "Here I go!" She took aim at the large puddle to her right, launching herself up and landing with a satisfying splash, new drops of mud hitting her knees. She grinned at Mabel. "Your turn!"