Twila Wilde-Hextor

Seminar: Self-Defense and Quidditch

Twila Wilde-Hextor

When the students arrived on the grounds for the seminar, they would find something resembling a muggle sports field: a grassy area had been enclosed by several sets of ground-level stands. It pained Twila that the set-up she’d constructed did not imitate a real Quidditch pitch, but it was better this way. At the center of the makeshift pitch was Twila herself. From a distance, she might’ve been mistaken for a student, as she stood just over five feet tall, but closer examination revealed a twenty-something young woman. A selection of school brooms could be found not far from Twila, for those who had not brought their own.

“Gather round!” she instructed. “Feel free to grab a broom, or take a seat, or whatever you’d like. I hope you all remembered your wands …” she paused, noticing that at least one student looked startled. “Hurry back and get it! We’ll all still be here when you get back, and I promise it’ll be worth it.” Several other students took off running towards Hogwarts too, and another student walked off with a huff and a look of annoyance. Not that Twila minded, if they didn’t want to stick around for the seminar that was their loss.

“Anyways, as I was saying, you’re going to want your wands for this. I’m Twila and I’ll be leading the seminar today. There’s going to be a little bit of talking and then a lot of action.” She noticed a few disappointed faces at the mention of talking. “I don’t like lectures either,” Twila sympathized, “so I’ll try to keep this quick!”

She beamed at them for an instant, but a moment later her joyous expression was replaced with a solemn one. “Today, we’re going to talk about self-defense. I know you’re used to hearing about this in your Defence classes but it’s really important for Quidditch too. In the summer before my fourth year at Hogwarts, my friends and I went to watch the Quidditch World Cup. Come to think of it, half of Hogwarts must’ve been there. Everything was really great until the final match was attacked by Death Eaters, dark wizards and witches who killed and tortured for no apparent reason.” Twila paused and looked down, troubled by what she was saying. “No one was safe, not the players or the people in the stands.”

She took a deep breath before continuing. “Today, you’ll be practicing what to do in such an attack. Hopefully it never happens again, but if it does then maybe you’ll all be a lot more prepared than my classmates and I were. Remember that your attackers would probably be competent adult witches and wizards, so your best bet for survival is almost certainly running or hiding.” Noticing a few worried faces at the mention of ‘survival’, Twila hastily clarified, “Not to worry, you won’t be in any real danger today. The spells you’ll be facing and avoiding will be harmless and I can reverse any effects before the seminar is over.”

And without further ado, Twila aimed a nonverbal fur jinx at a random student. “The first thing to learn is that attacks can come out of nowhere! Someone who wants to harm you isn’t going to give you a warning or let you get ready.” She proceeded to fire off a series of fur jinxes, bloating curses, and mud-slinging hexes into the crowd.

Hello and welcome to another Quidditch Seminar! I’m Twila and I’ll be your host. :wub:

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Concept: Twila is hosting a seminar focused on self-defense while playing or spectating Quidditch. On the grounds, she has constructed a number of “stands” (similar to your usual Quidditch stands but at ground-level) around a small “pitch”. Twila is pretending to be a Dark witch and your mission is to protect yourself and your fellow students! Of course, Twila will not actually be using any dangerous spells, since this is just a learning exercise designed to help your character prepare for a real crisis. However, she will be using the mud-slinging hex, fur jinx, and bloating curse, so feel free to roleplay dodging or being hit by these spells at any point.

What to do?

• Roleplay! Feel free to @ me if you’d like me to interact. Or do anything you’d like. Go wild(e)! Does your character choose to help Twila seek out the other students? Or maybe they’re helping the other students who have been hit by spells? The possibilities are endless!

• Play the game. You have three options … 

1. Hide! Include “Hiding” at the bottom of your post. 1 in 3 chance of being found.

2. Evade! Practice your evasive flying maneuvers! Or perhaps flying isn’t for you and you’d prefer to run away. Include “Evading” at the bottom of your post. 1 in 6 chance of being hit by one of Twila’s spells!

3. Fight back! Include any spells cast or actions taken at the bottom of your post in bold. It’s assumed that your attack(s) will be on target unless you state otherwise. (If you’d like a dice roll, just make a note of your desired odds and I can perform one.) I will then make sure to react to your spells/actions in my next post!

I’ll be posting periodically to respond to any counterattacks and to post results for hiding and evading. If you have any questions just send me a message (on here or on Discord) and I’ll get back to you as quickly as I can. ❤️

Earning QP!

Your posts in this seminar are eligible to earn QP. As per this topic, you earn 2 QP for every relevant post of at least 50 words, with a maximum of 8 QP per seminar. However, if QP is not your thing (or if you’ve already maxed out your earnings) you’re more than welcome to make posts of any kind. 

Zara Anguariz

Post 1

Zara couldn't believe how many quidditch seminars were being held this school yeat. It almost made up for the fact that there was no quidditch cup for the second time in her quidditch career. This game involved more dueling than quidditch. Thinking that this was a good way to perfect her skills in both quidditch and dueling, Zara went to hide.

Hide

Seeley Pichardo

Post One | 107 words 

Seeley wasn't going to go to another quidditch seminar.  She had pretty much had enough.  HOWEVER... she had seen enough of the trophies that lined the dueling section of the trophy room in her anguish over the fact that her name wasn't up there to note the names that were and when she heard who would be teaching this one she simply had to see what the face of the name looked like.  

With her knowledge of all those trophies under Twila's belt, it didn't surprise her that the "quidditch" event devolved into something involving spells and the hufflepuff quickly drew her wand and fired back.  "Fulinis!" 

Fight Back

Alecia Yates

Post 1

Alecia was happy to find out that there was another quidditch seminar. This time they were going to be working with both spells and quidditch taking on the bad guys. Not a lot of guys just the short woman that was running the seminar. From experience, Alecia knew that short people weren't to be messed with such as her grandmother who was good at throwing hexes around when she was angry and never missed the people she was aiming for. 

Speaking of trying to throw spells, it was time to fire one back, "Relashio!"

Fight Back

Ethan Smith

post I ||| 122

Ethan had stopped going to these events, only because he was finding it hard for him to do something else with his time. Knowing that training was important.But this one thoug. He heard about this one, that it had something to do with dueling. 

Ethan had to make it out there and see what was happening, because even though he did’t like to fly at all, he figured that he would at least try his best and still learn some more spells. It wasn’t all the time that they were able to send spells outside the dueling chamber, and not get into trouble. 

Not like that was something that Ethan would have done. Pointing his wand at something or someone. “Stupefy!”

Fight Back

Desmond Potter

Dueling and quidditch in one, he listen to what Twila was talking about, because he has heard stories about Quidditch World Cups and Death Eaters. So this might be something useful for him, since he did want to be a pro-player when he got older. 

What he didn’t want to do was hide, there was no point of hiding. Because they could find you, or worth kill you and and that was not something that he wanted at all, he would fight back. And try his best to make sure that nothing horrible happens. “Mucus Pipistrellus!”

Fight Back (diceroll please of 1 in 2) ❤️

post one || 97

Addison Toft

Post One

"Twila!" Addison's face lit up - this was going to be the best seminar in the history of seminars. Anyone who would ever host any kind of instructional class should be in attendance, Addison thought, to take notes and learn from how Twila did it. The seventh year was filled with a surge of confidence; with Twila here to teach them how to fly, she knew she was going to be an aerial ace by the end of the seminar.

Unfortunately, they weren't going to team up today. Today, Twila was the enemy, and it was up to Addison to survive against her hero. "Are you sure I can't side with you?" she asked @Twila Wilde-Hextor, sadly, before retreating a safe distance and preparing herself for the action.

WC: 127

Evade

Edited by Addison Toft

Kelby Matos

They were learning how to evade an attack while at a Quidditch game? Kelby had grown up as a muggle until she learned of her magic just a little under a year ago. The first year was still acclimating to the magical way of doing things. It struck her as odd that there were so many precautions to keep their children safe. Defense Against the Dark Arts was literally a core class that taught them how to evade the dark arts, and now this older lady was instructing them about safety at a sports game.

Just how often did dark forces actually attack magical children? Kelby made a mental note to ask during her next History of Magic lesson. Though it pained her to say it, she was starting to think her father may have been right about Hogwarts.

Ugh.

Kelby, never being one to back down, instantly stood on guard as she called out a spell from her repertoire. “Locomotor Mortis!”

Fight back!

post one || word count: 162  

Twila Wilde-Hextor

Had Twila forgotten to advise them to run and hide??? She was sure that she'd remembered this but apparently they were all either very brave (possible) or very stupid (also possible), or maybe they'd taken her assurances that there was no real danger a little too seriously? Twila found herself on the defensive far sooner than she'd expected. She dove out of the way of the lightning hex - but instead of landing in the grass in a bellyflop, she ducked her head and rolled. "Deluvium!" she cast over her shoulder in return. If the girl liked elementals, Twila could play that game. 

Twila popped back up onto her feet and found herself facing down a sparkler spell. "Tegere! Colerevilli!" Hold on, was that a stunning spell?!? "Protego!" she reacted instinctively, only realizing after she'd cast the shield charm that perhaps she ought not to have reflected such a spell back at the students. Twila was impressed (and also slightly concerned) to see that one of the young students was also taking a stand, although the Gryffindor alumna was able to wordlessly dismiss the Leg Locker Curse with an easy wave of her wand.

Twila was suddenly very glad that she'd prepared for this. The slew of spells that she'd cast on herself in preparation for the seminar meant that she wasn't even beginning to tire. But even with all the magic that was assisting her, Twila was still finding the unexpected response from the students a little bit overwhelming. What she needed wasn't another support spell, it was someone on her side. And miraculously, there was Addison Toft sounding like she wanted to help - the one and only Hogwarts student who Twila actually knew, and definitely Twila's hero right now.

"No, Addison, come back!" Twila called after her between spells. "Please? I need your help!" And maybe she also needed to try some more aggressive spells to actually scare the students into practicing the whole running and hiding thing? But she'd deal with that later. 

Dice Rolls

@Zara Anguariz: Your hide was successful. Twila didn't find you (yet). 

@Desmond Potter: Your spell was a miss! Try again?

@Addison Toft: Your evade was successful. You have not been hit by one of Twila's spells.

Ongoing Fighting

@Seeley Pichardo: Dodged Lightning Hex, attacked with Deluge Charm

@Alecia Yates: Blocked Sparkler Spell with Take Cover Charm, attacked with Fur Jinx

@Ethan Smith: Blocked Stupefying Charm with Shield Charm. Heads up, your spell's coming back at you!

@Kelby Matos: Blocked Leg Locker Curse with nonverbal Happy Feet Hex

Anyone may continue to assume that you've been targeted by a mud-slinging hex, fur jinx, or bloating curse at any time. And as always let me know if you have questions or if anything wasn't clear. ❤️ 

Kelby Matos

It seemed that the lady didn’t even have to speak the incantation out loud to block Kelby’s spell, and the first year instantly felt discouraged. How could she just assume that she was good enough to fight someone who had since graduated from Hogwarts? Frowning just slightly, she began to think about her next objective, though she probably was spending entirely too long standing in one place.

One second, she felt safe, and the next, there was a mud-slinging hex aimed in her direction. The first year grimaced at the idea of being sprayed and getting dirty. Groaning internally, she realized her strategy needed to be shifted if she wanted to get out of this situation stain-free.

Evade!

post two || word count: 117 

Addison Toft

Post Two

She skidded to a stop, and wheeled herself around when Twila told her to come back. Were they going to team up, for real? Or was this part of Twila's self-defence training, as a sort of "you can never trust the enemy" deal? Addison narrowed her eyes, sizing up the situation to see whether or not Twila was trying to trick her.

... But who was she kidding - this was her role model, and Addison would follow her to the ends of the earth.

Scooting back towards Twila, the seventh year whipped out her wand and waved. "I'm here to help, and I've brought a friend! Alae aquilae!" Conjuring her favorite eagle (second to Silas), Shelby, she commanded the raptor to circle around Twila and keep an eye out.

WC: 128

Fight (with Twila) back

Nicodemus Knight

Post I (68 words)

Nico was a little surprised by the direction that this seminar was going, but it was certainly interesting.  He’d never considered what he’d do under those circumstances, which was a little surprising, since he’d been a victim of a Death Eater attack himself.  If he had any say, he’d probably be playing the match, not just walking it, so Nico took a broom and headed to the sky.

Evade

Fiona Weaver

Post One : 98 words

Fiona stood near the back with her arms crossed low over her ribcage as though to protect herself. She knew every word Twila spoke was true, but the older girl’s story also touched on some raw memories of Fiona’s own. She unholstered her beech wand and immediately began to roll it nervously between the fingertips of her left hand. Simulated attack exercises, while a persuasive demonstration, also made her jumpy. She bypassed complicating the task with brooms at all, and remained on the ground. The instant she saw a spell headed in her direction, Fiona attempted a dodge.

Evade!

Morty Gabor

Post One

WC: 92

Finally, FINALLY, Morty was going to have a chance to combine dueling and quidditch. Five years of Hogwarts time without anybody proposing what to Morty was obviously the world’s coolest hybrid hobby in the making.

“It’s on!” she cackled, and was on a broomstick and twenty feet in the air before you could say ‘bludger the seekers for one to five’. Broom handle in one hand and aspen wand in the other, Morty zipped around a surface-to-air spell from Twila and retaliated. “Coruscare!

Where was Flight of the Valkyries when you needed it?!

Fight back!

Cloudy with a chance of fireballs!

Seeley Pichardo

Post Two | 125 Words

Run and hide?  Please.   

Seeley wasn't a 'run and hide' type of person and she almost laughed when she heard this woman call out to Addison and make that remark.  She didn't doubt that her lightning hex would be defended against, even with the onslaught of spells that seemed to follow along with it but the deluge charm targeted at her was slightly unexpected.  

It wasn't unfamiliar though, her father used the spell to wash off the docks after a fishing boat came in.  She ducked and fell into a roll to get away from the majority of the water before hopping onto her feet again.  Maybe that could be called an evasive maneuver but she would be back again with another spell soon enough.   

Evade

Zara Anguariz

Post 2

Things were already going her way. Her hiding spot was so good that the older woman was having a hard time finding her. Sitting there hiding wasn't doing her any good. Besides, at this rate she was going to fall asleep. Perhaps it would be a good idea to come out of hiding just enough to throw a spell towards her enemy. "Exhaurire," she called out to her.

Fight Back

Drew Knight

Post One || WC: 117

Drew knew that this seminar had a serious subject at its heart, but once the dueling spells started flying it was hard for him to see this as anything but a game. Once he saw his brother reach for a broom, Drew impulsively did the same. He wasn’t nearly as skilled in the air as Nico, but maybe the brothers could watch each others’ backs instead of competing against each other this time.

This was Drew’s reasoning. It definitely wasn’t because he felt the need to prove anything to Nico, or compete with him.

“Bro! Watch the mud!” he shouted to Nico, then barely had time to swivel out of the way of a second mud-slinging hex.

Evade!

Julian Pritchard

Post #1 | 210 Words

Well, this was certainly new. Julian found himself frowning slightly as Twila explained what the seminar would consist of. It was, in some ways, a best case scenario. It meant Julian could get by just by using his wand, which he vastly preferred to anything involving broomsticks. He could even justify it to his teammates, learning to defend himself in the face of an attack was far more important than any quidditch skills.

On the flip side, meeting yet another person who’d encountered Death Eaters in their lifetime was rather troubling.

His frown deepened when he noticed how many people were jumping to attack Twila. He didn’t think it was very realistic. Chances were, in a real attack, there would be more Death Eaters, and they wouldn’t be casting fur jinxes. The triaging system Foster and James had taught them the previous year was pretty ingrained in him by now. The first thing to try was hiding.

Hopping out of the way of a beam of light, Julian scanned his surroundings for something he could use as cover. He wound up ducking behind a fairly large bush towards the edge of the pitch. It wouldn’t provide much coverage, but it gave him a good vantage point to try and do something.

Hiding!

Alecia Yates

Post 2

When the other girl managed to block her spell easily and sent back a fury jinx, Alecia was so surprised that she felt a zap on her left cheek. Placing her hand on her cheek, the Gryffindor noticed that her face was all covered in hair. Instead of freaking out, she laughed. The fur jinx was one of her most favorite spells and now she was as hairy as a gorilla. Alecia decided to fight back with one of her favorite spells. "Oblima!"

Fight Back

Edited by Alecia Yates

Twila Wilde-Hextor

Even though betraying Addison's trust would probably have been a good exercise in constant vigilance, Twila could never bring herself to do such a thing. No, she genuinely wanted Addison's help, and she was glad of the eagle's assistance as well. "I dunno if two of us and an eagle against all of them is gonna be enough ... hold still for a sec. Dissimulo!" As the responsible person-in-charge of the seminar, Twila probably couldn't disillusion herself, but there was no reason that she couldn't try to disillusion Addison, right? 

Twila beamed before turning her attention back to the masses. "Let's get 'em!" 

Although many of them seemed to be having no trouble in getting out of the way. Not that Twila minded - maybe the kids actually learned things in Defence Against the Dark Arts nowadays? Or maybe they'd realized that their advantage was in their numbers. Twila was forced to pause in her attacks to defend herself from an incoming fireball. "Glebula! Glebula!" Because why just defend against the spell when you could also throw a snowball at its caster?

However, all the defending and attacking was taking too much time. Twila needed a faster  means of handling the spells that were coming her way. "Protego!" she cast at an incoming strength-stealer spell. Then, as she spun to cover her back, she caught sight of one of the students trying to hide in the bushes, and sent a spell his way. "Oblima!" 

With all of the mud that Twila had been casting, she overlooked the mud that was coming at her. It splattered all over her, and she was surprised but not displeased. Mud-slinging hexes had always been one of her favorite spells for a reason, after all. "Oi! You with the mud-slinging hex. You wanna join us?" 

Dice Rolls

@Kelby Matos: Your evade was successful. You have not been hit by one of Twila's spells.

@Nicodemus Knight: Your evade was successful. You have not been hit by one of Twila's spells.

@Fiona Weaver: Your evade was successful. You have not been hit by one of Twila's spells.

@Seeley Pichardo: Your evade failed. You've been hit by a spell!

@Drew Knight: Your evade was successful. You have not been hit by one of Twila's spells.

@Julian Pritchard: Your hide failed, a mud-slinging hex is coming your way! Quick, find a new hiding place (or try out another option)!

Ongoing Fighting

@Addison Toft: Disillusionment Charm! If hit, you're now disillusioned. 

@Morty Gabor: Blocked Flare Charm with Snowball Jinx, attacked with another Snowball Jinx. 

@Zara Anguariz: Blocked Strength-Stealer Spell with Shield Charm. Your spell is coming back at you!

@Alecia Yates: Your mud-slinging hex was a hit! Also, Twila has invited you to join her and Addison.

As always, anyone may continue to assume that you've been targeted by a mud-slinging hex, fur jinx, or bloating curse at any time! 

I am so sorry about the delay, I will do my best to be faster in the future! And please don't hesitate to poke me if you feel like I'm keeping you waiting. I won't be bothered by a reminder and I'm happy to rapid post with you if you'd like so you can get your posts in for QP. :wub: 

Seeley Pichardo

Post Three | 106 Words

She had jumped and she had rolled, a roll onto her side so perfected and so practiced... and still as she rose of the ground she was drenched.  She should have known.  Never underestimate the power of a well placed deluge charm.  Flicking her arms up and down to shake off some of the water and frowning, the blonde crouched low to the ground and kept her eye on the perpetrator of the spell.  

She would not get hit again.  Finally taking one of the brooms and heading into the air because it was actually an option she shot a spell back over her shoulder.  "Tempestas!" 

Fight Back

Morty Gabor

Post Two

WC: 81

This Twila person was a good shot! Morty nodded respectfully at the alumnae’s use of counter-elemental, then realized that the first snowball was only half of a pair. Here was Morty’s moment! Had she not just been practicing shield charms specifically on snowballs for an entire Defense lesson?  Morty loved the idea of shield charms as the ultimate karma spell, but hers needed a lot more practice.

Protego!” barked Morty, leaning back on her broom to compensate for the wand movement.

Fight back!

Morty attempts a shield charm to send Twila’s snowball back to her!

Of course, Morty’s shield charm is iffy, so there’s a 1 in 2 chance the spell will fail, please!

Nicodemus Knight

Post II (68 words)

Nico barrel-rolled out of the way of the mud-slinging hex, then pivoted and gave his brother a small salute in thanks.  He realized that Twila was looking away from him at that moment, though she had just sent a couple of snowballs flying.  Two can play that game.  Particularly if one of them’s a Knight. 

He freed his wand and took aim, “Glebula!”  Spell fired, Nico took off again, trying to make himself harder to hit with return fire.

FIGHT BACK

Drew Knight

Post Two || WC: 110

The mud ball narrowly missed Drew, and he quickly got recentered on the broom. He might not be a quidditch player, but at least he hadn’t embarrassed himself yet. Drew returned Nico’s salute with a thumbs up. It was actually pretty fun to feel like the two of them were on the same side for once. He flew in a little closer to his brother, alder wand in a relaxed grip out to his right side.

As soon as Nico rattled off his snowball, though, he zipped away again, leaving Drew to try and dodge the fur jinx now headed his way.

Ack, wait up!” he called to his brother.

Evade!

Fiona Weaver

Post Two: 113 words

Fiona was quietly amazed at how many people responded to this activity by playfully launching themselves straight into dueling mode. She wondered what it was like, to be able to vanish into this as though it were a game. Fiona herself would love to take such a carefree approach to pretend Death Eaters, but that just wasn’t in her power. Maybe it would have been, had her path taken different turns. Fiona would never know.

She had dodged the bloating curse successfully, but Fio was exposed now that half the students were up on broomsticks. She would need a defensible position, somewhere she could stand and shield herself if it came to that.

Hide!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.