Sign in to follow this  
Seeley Pichardo

Twenty Questions and they're all about you

Seeley Pichardo

Notebook, pens... snacks... all assortment of treats and a few pitchers of select drinks that the hufflepuff had managed to sweet talk the elves into dropping off into the classroom for her were now being arranged and rearranged on the desktop as she tried to figure out which way made them look most inviting.  Stepping back away from the desk and folding her arm over her stomach she looked at the desktop as if she were critiquing art and then stepped forward again and rearranged everything for the fifth time.  

For all of the articles she had written for the paper, never once had she taken the time out to actually interview someone and she was completely second guessing her aptitude for such things.  She was good at research, good at recon... but good with people?  

Ha. 

They seemed to like her well enough but she had never been the best at really getting to the heart of things and she wanted this article to be good.  Well no, she needed it to be good.  She was the editor of the paper for Helga's sake.  If she wanted to keep the job next year she'd better make it good.   

Pushing two chairs - two that looked the most comfortable - up towards the side of the desk, she finally gave up on any more rearranging of the snacks and then plopped herself into one of the chairs.  Only to stand up and move to the other less then three seconds later.  Honestly, where was this Durmstrang boy because if she waited any longer she was probably going to start redecorating this room and her transfiguration skills were severely lacking.   

Vadim Vankov

He wasn't sure how he'd been picked for this, truthfully.  There were dozens of better candidates (admittedly, candidates who represented the ideals of his school much better than he did) but here he was, dutifully tasked with fulfilling the role of interviewee and Vadim, who didn't often question and who never neglected his responsibilities, was beginning to regret his own inability to ever say no to someone.

Blinking and looking around, trying to decide if he had passed this particular portrait or not already, the sixth year took a minute to pause.  It didn't look familiar, but nothing at Hogwarts really looked familiar except for that one dusty classroom on the ground floor where he and Iska met every morning to train.

No, certainly, he hadn't passed this one before.  Had he?

Vadim chewed his bottom lip and then took a few hesitant steps backward into the center of the corridor before he walked down another lengthy stretch of hallway, turned yet another corner, and came to an unused classroom with the door partially open, light spilling out into the otherwise dimly lit corridor.  He approached it slowly, curious (and a little bit apprehensive about the idea of accidentally stumbling into something he shouldn't be seeing.)  

Instead, he stumbled into the very person he'd been told to go meet with.  "Hi," he started, stepping gingerly into the room.  "Seeley, yes?  I'm Vadim Vankov.  I was...supposed to meet you here, I think?" 

Seeley Pichardo

Admittedly, maybe agreeing to meet one of the Durmstrang delegates on their own turf, inside their ship would have been a better idea.  After all, she hadn't actually gotten to see inside yet and she really really would have wanted to but it was too late now.   Evident by the sound of the voice at the door and the fact that the student she had asked to meet her was now standing in the doorway and questioning if he was in the right place. 

Oh Godric... had the food and arrangement made the wrong impression?  The last thing she needed was another rumor going around about herself.  Instantly, the hufflepuff was out of her seat and crossing the room nodding her head all the while.  "Yes, Vadim, hello.  We have met once before in the dueling chamber.  Thank you for coming."  

To be completely honest, she mentally cursed herself for mentioning their duel, she had lost, which was one point she didn't like to remember, and point two she had made a fool of herself to boot.  But, if it would help them find common ground then maybe it would be worth it in the long run.  "I had some of the elves send up some food, if you are hungry.  I'm not sure what you might like but truthfully I'm not really one that does interviews so..." 

She probably shouldn't have mentioned that.  

They were off to a smashing start.  

Offering Vadim a small smile and then gesturing to the chairs she sighed.  "Why don't we sit down and maybe you can tell me something interesting about yourself?"  Was that too personal of a first question?  She hadn't asked for his blood type.  This was exactly why she preferred to find her information out through less direct means.   

Edited by Seeley Pichardo
post 2700 :D

Vadim Vankov

Vadim looked around and realized, perhaps a little bit too late, that this looked...a lot like some kind of intimate setting that could be misconstrued as a date.  @Iskara Levitsky had enough reasons to doubt him already, given the drama with Nadeja, and the last thing he needed was for his...whatever she was...to start thinking he was doing cutesy romantic things with other girls.  Particularly girls that represented 'the enemy.'

And Hogwarts was definitely public enemy number one on the Durmstrang ship these days.

He stepped into the room and looked around, chewing his bottom lip and hesitating just a moment before he eventually sat down.  He'd explain it to Iska.  He'd explain it before she heard it from someone else that it was just for some silly paper and she would understand.  She had to.  They all had their parts to play in this misadventure in Scotland and though he may not have been a champion, he was still a delegate with a responsibility to represent their school in whatever way was necessary.  Right now, that included answering questions for this very small girl in this very adorable looking interview set up.

"I uh...I remember, I think," he eventually managed lamely.  He remembered that he'd thought she was extremely small then and definitely not old enough to be fourteen or fifteen.   She'd proven him wrong by knowing magic far more advanced than any first year should have known...and then he'd forgotten because his life had tipped sideways with the introduction of a love interest (because calling Iskara his girlfriend without her permission seemed to be some kind of death wish.)

Vadim hesitated again.  Truthfully, there wasn't anything interesting about him.  He was...decidedly average in every way.  "Well, I..." he started and paused, twisting his hands in his lap, clammy as they were.  He didn't like things like this.  He wasn't outgoing or overly social.  Nice, yes, but nice wasn't normal at Durmstrang.  It was an outlier.  "I'm from Bulgaria, but I live in Norway.  I'm a...a sixth year.  I'm not...really that interesting, though.  Maybe you should have asked a Champion to do that?  I could...I'm sort of...she's...never mind."

Seeley Pichardo

With any luck she could only hope that whatever he thought he remembered wasn’t entirely the whole truth because she had made a fool of herself.  Staring at him with the equivalent of hearts in her eyes and trying to coerce him back to the hufflepuff common room. All because of that stupid spell.  She couldn’t wait until she learned it for herself and could use it and see exactly how green the grass could be from the other side.

Sitting down in the chair opposite Vadim and nabbing a cauldron cake that she promptly began to dissect distractedly while he got settled and then finally started to speak; she had to turn her attention to him fully as she popped a piece of the cake into her mouth and focused in her attempt to make sense through his accent.  Reaching for her pen and notebook she hurried to scribble down notes as she listened, not unlike the way she would notate clues during her stakeouts random bits to remind her when she went to ask her questions next.

• Sixth year
  • Bulgaria
  • not champion
  • She???

He seemed to fluster easily under this kind of pressure; he wouldn’t stand up well under interrogation, that was for sure.  At least she knew she had that going for her.

So of course the blonde went straight for the hard stuff first.  

“She?” Either he was heading down the road of a pronoun change or there was a special someone in his life and that was where the interesting stuff came from.  “Someone from Hogwarts or back home?” She let the question slip out very easily, as if they had known each other for much longer then the five minutes they had been in this room.

“Speaking of home... if I may, do you miss it?  It must be hard to be far away from it for so long. Especially without the grapples of an intense competition to keep you distracted.”

But then again, if there was a ‘she’ maybe that was his distraction.  Maybe she was better at this then she thought.

Vadim Vankov

If anyone had bothered to ask him whether he wanted to do this, Vadim would have been quick to tell them no.  He wasn't that interesting.  Absolutely ordinary in absolutely every way, including the fact that, like most others, he hadn't been selected to battle it out for the title of Champion.  He hadn't been surprised, really, or even upset.  He was a soft-hearted boy, too kind and considerate of everything around him to ever do something so terribly dangerous and potentially tragic.

The sixth year shifted uneasily in his seat.  He was quickly flustered when faced with the idea of talking about himself or answer probing questions designed to open up the little secrets of his life for the amusement of others.  

But nobody had asked him if he wanted to do it and he hadn't the heart to fight anyone on it.  So there he was, sitting across from Seeley as she dissected a cake the way he imagined she might like to dissect him, jotting down notes in a foreign language that he was too clumsy to read upside down.

Vadim felt his face flush.  The cat had been out of the proverbial bag with the completion of the second task.  Nadeja knew and she had been the person they were hiding from, so the secret wasn't...so secret now.  It still didn't make it any easier to talk about, not when they hadn't really discussed the depths of their relationship beyond his impromptu role as her support system and her distraction from the severity of the tasks before her.

"Home," he answered quietly, the answer short and sweet regarding Iska but in depth...but did he miss the place or the people?  And did he really miss all of the people.

After a beat, Vadim shook his head.  "No, I don't miss it.  I'm probably a minority though.  I miss my little sister, but home..."  He shrugged.  "My parents got a divorce last summer.  Home isn't exactly as...put together as I'd like it to be."  And with the criminal enterprise being run out of Kostadin's basement, well....Britain seemed the better option.

Seeley Pichardo

“So... another delegate then? How sweet.” She drawled out, smiling and sounding much too enthusiastic about it.  And to top it off of course, this was all just an assumption and Seeley hadn’t a clue who this girl was but if she was going to get anything more out of Vadim it was clear she was going to have to step out on a limb and hope it didn’t break because he wasn’t giving much.  

Hastily she scribbled down a few more words onto her open page, not bothering to hide them in the slightest.  It didn’t bother her if he knew what she was writing, it was about him and that wasn’t a secret.  Anything he said was fair game unless he said the words ‘off the record’ as far as she was concerned. 

• Sixth year
  • Bulgaria
  • not champion
  • She??? - Durmstrang too
    • delegate??
  • little sister
  • divorce

”I can’t imagine what that must feel like.” She said, trying to inflect a tone of sadness much more grave then she actually did feel into her voice.  It was sad to hear, yes, but she genuinely couldn’t imagine the feeling and was at a loss.  Her parents were picture perfect for the most part and if they fought about anything it never lasted longer then until the sub set.  “Is that what inspired, or maybe sparked your interest in putting your name into the goblet in the first place?  What were you wanting to prove?” 

Maybe the word choice wasn’t the best.  But, she had found that most everyone who had entered wanted to prove one thing or another, herself included, even if her entry was for naught.  Prove to themselves, to their family, to anyone really; but still... to prove something.

Vadim Vankov

Vadim's eyes widened marginally.  Sweet?  The last time anyone had said sweet to him in that tone, it had been his father and it had been about Vadim's opinion on the tournament and how it ought to be some tool utilized to bring the three schools and their ministries together instead of dividing them apart.  

How sweet, Kostadin had said, wearing that too-familiar sneer, and Vadim had fought the urge to dump pumpkin juice over the top of his head and walk out of the room.  Too sweet, he'd continued.  Too sweet.  As if 'too sweet' was even a possibility.  As if a person could be too nice.

But Seeley wasn't Kostadin and it would do him no favors to treat her like she had any idea that she was treading in shark infested waters.  

The sixth year, now freshly turned seventeen, lifted his shoulders in a halfhearted shrug.  "It feels like they made each other miserable for years and are finally done," he answered flatly.  "I put my name in because I think the Tournament should be more about bringing our peoples together instead of driving them apart.  It should be about embracing international magical cooperation and had I been picked to compete...that's what I would have been competing for.  Not for any one school, but for a platform to speak on.  Doesn't matter though.  I didn't get picked.  So it's all a pissing contest again, yes?"

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.