Aiden Hunter

Fire Werk

Aiden Hunter

It was time to fulfill a promise. Aiden reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled out a bright rainbow-colored firecracker. It wasn’t anything crazy just one of the novelty ones. It wouldn’t even create a satisfying explosion. He probably wouldn’t have excepted it if it were anything different. He had promised his little brother that he would set it off. It was all he wanted from Aiden when he went away to school for some reason so he relented and told him that he would do it. He told Aiden something about not forgetting about him or something.

It brought back memories of when he was back at home him and his siblings would always set them off during summer whenever they went to visit his grandparents. Aiden snapped out of his memories and shivered, it was starting to get really cold out. It was especially cold near the lake. Why am I even out here? He put down the firework and looked down at his red hand and started to rub them together. He cursed himself for forgetting his gloves.

Aiden looked around making sure there was no one near him. Now the only question was when would be the best time to set it off.

Edited by Aiden Hunter

Willa Mercier

It was freezing outside, Willa would her scarf tighter around her neck in an attempt to stop the chill seeping into her robe. She'd needed a break from her studies and had thought a nice walk would help clear her mind. Instead all she could think about were all the spells she could use to warm herself up. She'd read about an incantation which would produce blue flames which produced heat only but had practised it yet. 

She'd just about made up her mind to give the spell a go when she spotted a boy in the distance. She knew him from classes, Aiden, she was pretty sure his name was Aiden. And he looked as though he may be up to something he shouldn't be, he was glancing around as though he didn't want to be seen and holding something bright in his hand. 

Willa didn't really consider herself a rule breaker, but if it wasn't anything dangerous then there was no harm in being an innocent bystander. "Hey Aiden," she said approaching the boy. She could now see what the brightly coloured thing in his hand was, a wet start firework. "Are you going to let that off?" she asked. That was definitely against school rules, though what was the harm in a simple firework, it wasn't like it would hurt anyone. 

Aiden Hunter

He fumbled with the firework in the cold looking down at the snow. He was pretty sure that he could use that to set it off. That’s when he noticed a shadow over him and the voice of a girl. He whipped around to find someone watching him. He was pretty sure he had heard her name before. At the very least she knew who he was. He was pretty sure she was in one of his classes. Willa, was it?

“Uh,” he thought about trying to hide the thing and play it off like it was nothing, but unless she was a complete dolt that wouldn’t work. He instinctively held onto the firework protectively. “Yeah, yeah I am…” Maybe she didn’t care that he was going to set it off. I mean she already knew that he had it so if she wanted to get him into trouble there was no doubt she could.

Aiden loosened up and stood up. “Why do you care? I mean it’s not like it’s gonna hurt anybody or anything right?” He looked down at the firework, “I mean are they even against the rules? Seriously, I don’t even know. Not like it matters or anything I’m still gonna set it off.” He looked up and surveyed the area making sure that no one else could sneak up on him. “I guess I just don’t know where I’m gonna set it off. I don't know you think here is good?” He hoped that she wasn’t too much of a stickler for the rules and if she wasn't he might as well get her opinion.

Edited by Aiden Hunter

Willa Mercier

He basically expressed the same sentiment, though far more sullenly then she cared for. “I don’t care” she said with a slight prickliness. “But it’s definitely against the rules, its in the list of banned objects.” Willa had made sure she was aware of all rules and all banned objects. If she was going to break a rule she was going to do it because it was silly, not by accident.

For someone who didn’t care about breaking rules Aiden seemed a little hesitant. Maybe he’d been dared to do it, or maybe he’d thought he could have himself a little private show with no one noticing. Well of course people would notice fireworks going off! They’d be able to see them from all over the grounds. They’d likely be visible from the classrooms, even if this spot was secluded.

“I think over there would be better.” She pointed to a spot were the forest almost met the lake. “You can watch from the trees and if any teachers come you can cut through the forest and make your way toward the castle without them noticing.” She shouldn’t help him. This was breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules. But it was a silly rule, and she did like watching fireworks after all.

“You do know how to light them don’t you?” Why had she asked that! If she had to help in lighting the fire cracker then she was as much to blame as Aiden. She consoled herself with what was almost an air tight plan, and even if they were caught, who would believe the studious Willa was involved in the lighting of firecrackers.  

Aiden Hunter

Aiden sighed and stood up, "Good, I'd rather not get in trouble if I can help it." He brushed himself off making sure that there was nothing on him. "I figured as much. Man, they can be so stuffy here with all of their rules." He rolled his eyes, I mean come on what harm could come from a little fireworks show. "I mean come on, a drab crappy day like this could use a little fun right?"

He looked over towards the forest that Willa pointed at, "Huh, that actually is a pretty good spot..." He turned and began to walk towards the forest.

The girl then asked if he knew how to light the firework. He stopped in his tracks and whipped around with a cheshire like grin on his face. "Of course. It's a wet start and there's snow all around us so it should be pretty easy right? Buuuut, since you asked and the fact that you're still here must mean that you're interested." He showed the firework off and gave it a shake. "Come on, when's the next time you're gonna get a chance to set one off."

Edited by Aiden Hunter

Willa Mercier

Willa didn’t think all the rules were silly, in fact she agreed with most of them. Rules were in place for a reason, in a school this large some form of order was needed. She even understood why they weren’t allowed fireworks. It would get very old very quickly if everyone was doing it. But everyone wasn’t doing it, and Aiden was right. They did deserve a little fun.

“I mean I suppose its just one.” She said timidly following Aiden to the secluded spot. She could always make a run for it if she needed too. She was starting feel a little excited for the impending show. That was until Aiden turned round with a mischievous grin and suggested she light the fireworks.

She backed away shaking her head, her eyes widening at the suggestion. It was one thing watching Aiden break rules, it was another doing it herself. “I couldn’t.” she said, though even as she said it she thought about how exciting it would be to be the one lighting the firework. “It’s against the rule.” She shook her head again with a sense of finality, even if her eyes did linger on the brightly coloured cracker in Aiden’s hand.

Aiden Hunter

Aiden smiled when the girl began to convince herself to join him. Yessss, join the dark side. He thought to himself as he fiddled with his firework.

Aiden looked at the girl like she had ten heads. "So? Who cares if it's against the rules?" Aiden's thoughts on rules were very simple. Who put the rules in place? Adults. What do adults do? Ruin fun. What do rules usually stop ou from doing? Having fun. Ergo breaking the rules usually meant that there was a good time to be had. "Rules are only in place because lame old people want to stop us from having a good time. I mean this?" He held up the firework so the girl could see. "This isn't even on the top twenty fun things to do that involve breaking the rules. I mean come on, t-here's like minimal danger involved with this thing. You don't even have to use fire to start it. I mean what kinda firework is that?"

He shook his head. "Haven't you ever broken a rule before. The rush you get is like no other, and it's not even like this is that bad. What's the worst we're gonna get if we even get in trouble? A detention?" He began to speak in a mocking voice. "Oh no, detention. Whatever, will I do?" He held the firework up once again. "This. This is fun. There's like minimal risk that we'll get in trouble and it's not like anyone will get hurt. Plus, it's going off no matter what. Wouldn't you rather be able to be right near it when it goes off? I mean come on, you'll get to tell people that you blew up a firework...on school grounds!"

Edited by Aiden Hunter

Majesty

A strange smell entered Majesty’s snout as he roamed near the lake, with each passing day it seem the Thestral was finding himself further away from the forest and further away from the safety of the herd.

Walking to a pair of child, it seemed that the castle was allowing it’s students to stay out later than what it allowed.  Of course, however, he wasn’t going to complain.  Quickly and quietly trotting to the children of the castle, Majesty sniffed the boyish looking one, which, in no time he found the source of the smell he was hunting.  

‘Fireworks?’

The Thestral whinnied in repeat cocking his head to the side as he tried to listen.  Such a thing never entered the beast’s mind except for the sticks the students seemed to always carry.

Opening his mouth and attempting to take said firework, it didn’t help that his dry leathery skin rubbed the explosive and ignited.

Oops.

————-

Hello dearies, just popping in, causing some mischief, normal Thestral things!  Just a reminder that if your character has witnessed death in his or her life thus far, congrats!  You can see Majesty!  If not, don’t worry, you can still hear, smell, and feel his presence!  

If you’d like for me to delete this post, feel free to message me <3

Willa Mercier

Aiden seemed shocked at her desire not to break rules, though that probably wasn’t surprising from a boy lighting fire works. “Some rules are important, like not going into some of the greenhouses without a teacher. There are some really dangerous plants and you could get seriously hurt if you went in without proper support,” she said. She was pretty sure she could handle her own, but even she wasn’t prepared to take on a room of Venomous Tentacula by herself. Even though she knew she was right she couldn’t help but ask, “What are some of the top twenty fun things that involve rule breaking?” The words were out of her mouth before she could stop them, and she hoped Aiden hadn’t noticed the mischievous glint in her eyes. He was awfully persuasive, and Willa was at the brink of giving in.

“Of course I’ve broken a rule before!” Indignation coloured Willa’s cheeks. “I climbed up the Astronomy tower with @Alvis Anderson, I bet you haven’t done that!” OK so technically there were no specific rules around climbing the astronomy tower, though Willa was sure she would have been in serious trouble had they been caught. “And I don’t fancy spending an evening scraping people’s bogies off desks.”

Aiden’s attitude was really starting to wind Willa up. Who did he think he was talking to her like she was some little goodie two shoes. She was out here after curfew just like him wasn’t she. She made to snatch the fire work from Aiden, intending to light it before stomping back to the castle her head held high. Maybe she’d even alert a teacher to the little display he’d be left watching. Just as her hand made contact there was a weird noise, almost like a horse and the firework erupted.

Willa jumped back with a scream. “What did you do” she shouted at Aiden, the adrenaline pounding in her ears. “You could have blown my hand off!” The firework would have done no such thing, she knew they only tickled, but teasing her into lighting it before setting it off at her. That was a mean trick!

Aiden Hunter

Aiden rolled his eyes as the Willa talked about the “importance of rules” or whatever. I mean what was the point of rules if they aren’t broken. An eyebrow raised. “Well I mean yeah, that’s why you make sure you’re prepared first. I mean come on I’m not an idiot or anything.” He smiled twirled the firework a little. I mean come on who would just go in a magical greenhouse without knowing anything about what’s living in it. Aiden was reckless but not that reckless. The top twenty things? “Well I don’t exactly know, I probably haven’t done them yet so I can’t know. That’s why I have to break all of the rules.” He would chalk it up to research.

Aiden’s eyebrow raised again and he looked at Willa with an unimpressed face. “You climbed up the astronomy tower?” He looked at the ground. “That sounds like something Alvis would do.” He whispered to himself. It wasn’t bad but he wasn’t going to give her the satisfaction. It was funny watching her face scrunch in anger.

Suddenly, Willa moved towards him to grab the firework. She caught him off balance and he wobbled a bit before she got her hands around it. He even felt something leathery against his hand before the firework went off.

He fell to the ground and looked at his hand. Luckily it was still there, same with all his fingers. “Me?” His face contorted at the accusation. “You’re the one that got all grabby with it and tried to rip it out of my hands like some beast of the forest!" He stood up and wiped the snow off of his clothes. He sighed, thankful to be okay. “It’s weird that it went off. I mean it’s not like we did anything to it.” He shook the leathery thing he felt as just nerves or something. “Anyways, you okay?” He would certainly get an earful if the girl went blabbing about being hurt or something and it's not like he was a monster or anything. I mean it wasn't fun if someone got hurt. He looked up where the firework exploded. “Didn’t get much height did it. You got to admit that it was bloody cool though.” He turned back to Willa his adrenaline levels going down. "Maybe my brother wasn't being such an annoying little knob when he kept pestering me to set it off. "

Edited by Aiden Hunter

Willa Mercier

Willa released a little humph of frustration. Technically she agreed with Aiden, if you were prepared then there was no harm in breaking into a greenhouse. In all honesty she didn’t mind breaking rules if she felt there was a good reason to do so. “Well you might not do it but I’m sure there are plenty of people who are either ignorant to the danger or simply reckless enough that they don’t care. So, the rule, in theory stops them.” She was sure she sounded patronising, but Aiden was irritating her enough that she didn’t particularly care.

Aiden couldn’t provide her with an example of any of the top twenty rules he’d broken. Even when she confronted him with her climbing the outside of the astronomy tower he didn’t counter her. Maybe he wasn’t the rebellious rule breaker he made himself out to be. “So, what is the worst rule you’ve ever broken then?” She asked, still frustrated but more intrigued.

Watching Aiden fall to the ground evoked two reactions in Willa. On the one hand she wanted to laugh at him, and on the other she wanted to check he was OK. Sure, he might be irritating but she didn’t want to laugh at him if he was hurt. “Are you OK?” she asked before she could stop it, worry briefly flitting across her features before she realised Aiden wasn’t hurt. Any compassion she might have felt disappeared at Aiden’s retort. Despite how angry she was with Aiden’s mean trick his insult had her howling with laughter. “a beast of the forest.” She gasped between her cackles. It was mean to laugh at him as he lay sprawled on the floor, but the shock of the firework was making her a little delirious. “I’m sorry, I just didn’t expect such eloquence from a such a rebel” she said wiping tears of laughter from her eyes. “Let’s hope you never run into a real beast of the forest if you think I’m anything like them.”

She might have softened a little when Aiden asked if she was ok, but he had tried to put the blame on her. He probably felt guilty about setting a firework off on a girl he barely even knew. “Of course, I’m ok.” The irritation was back in her voice now. “You knew that wouldn’t hurt me, only give me a fright, which it did!” She managed to contain her desire to give Aiden a slow sarcastic clap.

What was most annoying was Aiden pretending nothing had happened and simply wanting to discuss how cool the firework had been. Yes, after the shock it had been pretty cool, its display mirrored in the lake for their own private show, but it would have been much better if they could have just set the firework off and watched it without all the drama. “No, it didn’t get much height,” she snapped back ignoring his mean comments about his brother. “It would have been better if we could have actually set it off and enjoyed it instead of you pranking me.”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.