Inara Kennedy

There’s nothing more dangerous than a boy with charm.

Inara Kennedy

Lyrics by Christina Aguilera || Continued from here.

This boy clearly thought he was charming but Inara was having none of it. She had gotten her heart broken just a few months before. She’d been engaged to @John Lupin! She would not be easily swayed ever again. Not to mention she thought she liked @Claes Althaus. But she didn’t really know what was going on in her life. Everything was complicated! She had hoped for an easy final year at Hogwarts and she had gotten the exact opposite.

At least he told her his name. She had honestly forgotten it. With four champions from each school, it was hard to remember them all. At least she’d known he was a champion… that was something, right? And then it hit her. Maybe he thought she should feel honored that he had chosen to dance with her. If that was the case, she didn’t. It was a dance. He was just another human being like she was. It wasn’t anything special. The champions had simply had something extra about them to get chosen by the Goblet of Fire.

Who cared?

Evidently many people. There were girls in the crowd staring at them like they wished they were dancing with Mika instead. Had he been able to charm them? She looked at his face and found that he was good looking but probably not to the level that he thought he was. His confidence was much higher than Inara would have thought if she’d simply looked at him. Inara, on the other hand, was always awkward and never sure of herself. They were certainly an interesting pair.

“It’s okay, I guess,” she replied. “A little boring, to be honest.” She caught a glimpse of Claes and sighed. She’d have to move on, she supposed. If he liked her back, he would have asked her to the ball. The dance ended and Mika pulled her over to a quiet spot of the tent. He was piling on more and more charm each second but it had yet to work. “What do you want to know?” she asked. She doubted he really cared but she’d play along. @Kaelyn Paddock was engrossed with what’s-his-name the Durmstrang kid (@Niklas Graf) and Claes was with @Elodie Dumont. What else did she have to do?

Edited by Inara Kennedy

Mika Chevalier-Desjardins

They moved away from the dance floor and Mika decided to lower the charm level. She wasn't responding to it. So he decided to try a new tactic. He needed to know more about her. Mika was always intrigued by the people who were able to ignore his charm. Those kinds of people were either not to be trusted or they were valuable assets. Where did this Inara girl lie?

"I think I agree with your assessment of the ball." Mika didn't like formal events like this. There were too many people and often there was someone in the crowd who he had already crossed paths with. "If I weren't a champion, I don't think I would have attended." He stopped at the punch table and poured a glass for both of them. He handed her one and took a sip of his.

Mika contemplated her question for a moment. He needed to pick the right one to get her to open up. He noticed her eyes darting around looking for people. His question formulated after that.

"Who did you want you to ask to this ball?" It was simple and to the point. There was no charm or deviousness in it. He just wanted to know.

Inara Kennedy

How long did she have to stay at the ball before she could leave? Was there a required time or like a standard that people followed so that they weren’t being rude? She didn’t know anything about balls because she tended to avoid them. She didn’t like social gatherings since she was awkward and was always out of place. If she did attend, it was because Kaelyn basically forced her to. The only one she had willingly attended had been the one at Jake’s house because John was going to be there.

But she wasn’t going to think about that now. Not ever. She turned her attention back to Mika and raised her eyebrows. He was asking the big questions right off the bat. It was daring and she didn’t mind it. “Claes,” she said. “We’ve been studying in the library together. But I guess he likes that Beauxbatons girl… the champion… instead.” She shrugged and said, “Did you have anyone in mind that you wanted to ask?” Or that he had asked and who had turned him down.

Inara didn’t know anything about this Mika kid besides he was a champion and he used charm to get away with things. It was interesting to talk to him, though. It was a challenge since she had to be careful what she said to him. She was sure that he was the sort to go around telling people’s secrets. But she didn’t much care if he told Claes she liked him. It was the truth and it was probably obvious anyway. There wasn’t anything she could do about that.

Mika Chevalier-Desjardins

Mika's eyes swiveled to Claes. He was still on the dance floor with one of his fellow champions. He couldn't be bothered to see which one. She was betraying her school by dancing with him. However, Mika could understand the boys charm. But this girl didn't fall for charm. So why him? Then she turned the question onto him.

Mika shrugged at her question. "I don't do dating really." Emotional warfare, yes. Dating, no. "So asking people to dances doesn't really do anything for me. What's the end goal? Unfortunately, for me, I could not get out of this one. Champion requirements and all that."

He sat back in his chair for a moment. It was nice to just relax and not worry about the unsolved clue he had waiting for him in the carriage. He was getting closer, but there was nothing he could do right now. His headmistress had told him that the book was under lock and key for tonight. Tonight was about foreign relations. He had thought that was a silly idea, but here he was talking with a British girl.

"So who charmed you before Claes and me. Someone had to have caught your eye before us. Well I didn't charm you, but the point still stands."

Inara Kennedy

Inara wasn’t exactly hurt by Claes choosing someone else. He was free to like whoever he wanted. She had merely thought they had a connection. She had always had a hard time reading people. And they hadn’t known each other long or anything. It was a simple crush and she had been crushed. She had to take the sting and learn from it. Human interaction was part of the reason she preferred working with animals. They always loved you no matter what.

She narrowed her eyes at Mika and thought about his answers. That was interesting. Did he not crave human intimacy? Or did he simply not care about the feelings of others? She had so many questions but she couldn’t voice them now because he’d asked her another question. One that she dreaded answering. Claes had judged her for it so no doubt Mika would too.

“I was engaged to John Lupin,” she said. “Haven’t seen him here, otherwise I’d point him out. He broke up with me at the beginning of the year.” She was over it but it still hurt a little bit. She had thought her life was finally getting sorted and she’d been wrong. She didn’t take kindly to being wrong. She’d opened up and given everything to John and he'd crushed her, giving next to nothing in return. She should have known better.

A beat later she said, “Do you think you’ll ever want to date? Or find the one for you? Never want to get married or have kids?” She was curious so she had to ask. And he’d just put her on the spot. She might as well return the favor.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.