Fern Blackburn

We couldn't stop it if we wanted to

Fern Blackburn

"... so then we ran into these tiny little baby hoo-hoos and I got to feed a potion to one and it was so small it fit into my hands.." Fern gushed, babbling on to Kieran about the expedition she'd gone on last weekend. Once she'd ran into him at the Christmas Carnival, she'd made it a point to stay near the Slytherin, which honestly wasn't that much of a challenge because he didn't seem keen on leaving her, either.

Gone were the days that she was awkward and silent around him, though- now she was awkward and somewhat talkative, and the Ravenclaw was grateful she was able to find her voice again, though those butterflies? They were still there. "And then after that we ran into an occamy." she shuddered, then paused altogether and raised her wand. "Obsidio." she said lazily, blocking a snowball gone astray. 

The carnival really was great, but that wasn't the real reason that Fern had successfully convinced her mum to allow her to stay at the school over the winter holidays. It was because of the ball that was following the carnival. "Anyways." she said in a quiet voice before making eye contact. "So did your parents try to fight you on staying at Hogwarts, too?" she asked, thinking of all the times in the past they'd complained to each other about having to leave, not to mention, she was definitely directing the conversation elsewhere. She'd get to her point. Eventually. 

Kieran Wells

If Kieran wasn’t a lazy bum at times, he would have tried to get himself to be part of that expedition. Firstly, he was fascinated by any sort of magical creatures and would have loved the opportunity to learn about them in a more hands on manner. Secondly, he normally would be down for any excuse to spend more time with Fern. They dueled, sat near one another in class usually and would see one another between classes. But this seemed like another fun activity for them to partake in.  Well at least they were part of another fun activity today too. “That sounds so awesome, wish I was there.” He added.

He flinched a little as she had blocked a wayward snowball. “Nice reflexes” Kieran told her with a grin before stuffing his hands into his pockets. “Yeah they were not happy.” He said with a shake of his head. “Especially because my sister wanted to do it too and it’s her first year away from home.” What ever would their family do without 2 volunteering hands? Though he understood that they missed them as well but it was nice being at Hogwarts for a change.

“Im uh… really glad you got to stay.” Kieran added in there. Being able to stay was sort of a last-minute thing his parents agreed to. He of course used it as an excuse to further put off asking Fern to the ball because he was stupidly nervous.

Fern Blackburn

"Mine either." she said with a roll of her eyes. Her mum was a bit more understanding, given the events taking place at Hogwarts this year. "My dad was going on and on about how 'this school' is breaking the family up for the holidays." she added with a shrug, thinking of his last letter. Had his attitude not been sour towards magic as a whole for the last four years, maybe Fern would be more upset by his words.

"Me too." she replied, her cheeks flushing. "And that you got to stay, too." she added. Ever since the ball had been announced, she knew that she wanted to go with Kieran. She'd picked out her dress, how to wear her hair, and even owl ordered a lip gloss charmed to stay on without smudging all night within a matter of days. The problem now was, she still didn't have a date, and the ball was set to begin within eight hours time. Tiny, glittery snowflakes started to rain down on them and Fern glanced up curiously, just to see an ice phoenix soaring about. "And I'm glad that there's a carnival and ball this year, even if we couldn't be champions." she added in an airy voice before shifting her eyes back to meet Kieran's once more. "Besides, could you imagine having to have the first dance in front of the whole school?" she asked with a grin. hint, hint.

Kieran Wells

“I definitely got that same vibe from my parents.” Kieran laughed. “I think I was lucky my sister was writing the letters home… she’s much better at words that I am sometimes.” He added on. If only he could use his sister or someone else to get out the words that he wanted to say to Fern now. Kieran had asked her to Hogsmeade last year and that turned out alright. The asking bit. Hanging out with her at Hogsmeade had been a ton of fun, even if they didn’t advance beyond that.

His heart felt like it was beating a little more intensely when she echoed back his statement. “Yeah I guess those do make up for that.” Kieran was actually relieved he wouldn’t have to be pressured to be in some tournament. The competing part sounded awful. But dancing in front of everyone? Even worse. “Yeah that would make me so nervous.” He replied.

“But I mean if you had a uh good partner maybe it wouldn’t matter after all. Um speaking of….” And this was the moment where he was supposed to be smooth and ask her to the dance. Except he was not a smooth dude. He instead trailed off.

Edited by Kieran Wells

Fern Blackburn

"Yeah, me too.." she replied. She wanted her first dance at the ball to be on her own terms, without everyone staring at her, and least of all because it was tradition to do so. That took all the meaning out of it, being obligated to dance with someone rather than wanting to dance with someone. Would an opening dance make her more nervous than she felt now though? That was debatable. 

Fern's heartbeat started to quicken at Kieran's next words. If she had a good partner it wouldn't matter after all? What was that supposed to mean? She opened her mouth and started to reply "Well, are you-" but at the same time, he'd started to say something else. What was it? Speaking of?

"Sorry, what were you going to say?" she asked. Fern was actually going to ask him if he was a good dancer, but it was in the moment, and now her comment wouldn't sound so sassy and fitting like it would have earlier. Now asking him if he was a good dance partner would just sound bizarre. And besides, maybe his words were leading on to something else she'd been waiting to hear- whatever it was, it had to be more important.

Kieran Wells

Just ask her to be your date, Wells! His mind screamed. As he looked back into her eyes, he wasn’t sure why he was so nervous to get his message across. He just really liked her and didn’t know why his brain was acting all wonky. At times being around Fern was great & comfortable like he was sure she would not judge and make fun of him for mistakes. He was also on the other side sometimes very nervous/awkward to be around her. It was strange. Crushes were wild man.

“What were you going to say?” He asked back at the same time, his brain registering that she was saying something previously as he trailed off previously. Kieran opened his mouth to continue anyways. “I was speaking of dance partners and wondering if you… you know, wanted….”

post 900 😮

Edited by Kieran Wells

Fern Blackburn

Fern's cheeks flushed even more and the corner's of her cheeks tugged upwards as they both spit out the same sentence at the same time. Sorry, what were you going to say? She paused for a moment, as did Kieran, and the Ravenclaw seized the moment to speak once more, a moment of boldness overcoming her.

"I was thinking we could-" her sentence was cut short a second time and she paused again, a full on grin on her face now and she giggled for a second. Why did this kind of stuff always happen to them? Why were things just so awkward at times? Some days they were both too tongue-tied to even figure out what to say, and now here they were, both talking at the same time.

She bit her lip for a moment as silence fell between the two once more, and she looked him right in the eye and finally spit her sentence out. "I know it's kind of late notice, but.. um.. Kieran, will you take me to the ball tonight?" she asked, nervously tugging on a lock of her hair in a gloved hand. And now time had stopped. It was standing still, and most definitely wasn't moving as she awaited his response. 

Kieran Wells

Kieran was doing it again. He sort of abruptly stopped talking and also sort of trailed off. For good. It worked out however because they were both clearly trying to say something. He was glad that she was becoming just as amused by it as he was. Though he wasn’t sure if his was more of that nervous kind of laugh thing that he sometimes did. It didn’t matter. He kept his mouth shut and it was worth it.

His heart began to beat faster hoping her sentence was going where he wanted it to go. If he hadn’t, he would have to bust out with what he wanted to ask. Kieran felt relieved and excited when she asked if he could take her to the ball. “Yes!” He replied very fast. “I mean of course. I would really like that.” Kieran added in what he thought was in a calmer manner.

The Slytherin debated adding in that he was trying to ask her but it seemed obvious now. Instead he continued to grin. “This is gonna be great.” He decided. Now he could relax a little, enjoy the carnival and look forward to the evening. "I wonder what food the ball will have." Kieran said next to lighten things up before they continued on.

end~

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.