• Nemesis
  • Filius
  • Lake
  • Lily
Alvis Anderson

All the way up the Astronomy Tower

Alvis Anderson

Outside at the base of the Astronomy tower

Although the summer was very much a distant memory by now and the weather was becoming a lot less calm or predictable, today seemed to be the best for a long time! The sun made an appearance around noon and the wild north wind began to wane for a little while. So it was the perfect conditions for Alvis' next adventure, to concur the tallest tower at the school, he'd been planning it ever since he got there but was far to busy with lessons and duelling.

Just before he was beginning to start his climb, just as the wind gave it's last dying whistle, he heard something from up above,  like a chirping and hooting sound. He looked up but could only make out ledges and window frames going up towards the clouds and what he guest was the very top of the tower as he couldn't make it out. Knowing that the surrounding area would have an abundance of birds, he guest that some might have taken roost on the higher parts of the taller towers.  

Willa Mercier

Willa wound the blue and bronze scarf tighter around her neck, the day wasn't exactly cold but the chill of winter was fast approaching and Willa felt it more than most. Still she couldn't stay cooped up in the castle forever, she felt the need to be outdoors acutely. While many of her housemates were currently cosied up in the common room deep in their book Willa had decided to take hers outside. It wasn't raining, the wind had died down and their was a secluded and shielded spot near the astronomy tower where she could read her new muggle book in peace. 

Willa was a little annoyed to find her spot already occupied, a boy she didn't know was standing there as though he was about to try and scale the tower. Didn't he know he could die falling from there! Of course for a seasoned professional climber like Willa the tower would be no problem the stones were uneven enough that there were plenty of foot and handholds, and the multiple window ledges could provide so well needed resting places. The looked wide enough that she could comfortably sit there. 

"You're not thinking of climbing up there are you?" 

Alvis Anderson

Out of nowhere a Ravenclaw girl came along with a book and told him he shouldn't think about climbing the tower, ''Why not! It's an easy enough climb, lot's of hand and foot holds, the bricks and stone are very protruding, I've climbed cliffs harder then that and taller!'' he smiled at the girl and gave her a cheeky wink of the eye.

Looking back up at the tower, Alvis noticed something flapping almost at the very top, just a ledge down from the cone roof, was it a wing? ''Can you see that up there? Looks like a wing flapping, up there by the top ledge! You don't recon it's a bird that's stuck do you?!'' he listened out to try and hear if that sound was back, maybe it was the bird in distress! ''Can you hear it? Sounds like an owl to me!''

Willa Mercier

The Gryffindor boy seemed pretty confident that he could make his way up the tower easily enough and Willa had to admit cliff climbing was probably a lot more difficult than climbing this man made tower. In fact it seemed the tower was almost made for climbers, maybe the founder’s had considered adrenaline junkie children when building this part of the castle. “Well I guess if you’re experienced it would be OK.” OK but almost certainly against the rules, she supposed what they said about Gryffindors must be true.

The flapping caught Willa’s eye too. She agreed it did look like a wing. She’d spent much of her astronomy lessons staring out the window watching the nesting birds. They were far more interesting than the classes themselves. She’d taking to jotting all the birds she’d seen on her parchment instead of notes regarding the celestial bodies they had studied. “Yes it does sound like an owl doesn’t it” Willa replied, “I noticed some Short-eared Owls nesting not far below the Astronomy classroom the other day, I hope it’s not them.” The loud hooting didn’t sound too happy, plus if it was an owl it should be sleeping now, not flapping about on a ledge. “Maybe I should climb up with you so we can check it’s alright?”

Alvis Anderson

Willa began to sound a bit Like Alvis, getting distracted by other things while in class and a love of birds (Alvis loved almost all creatures, even the odd ones but not Rats!). His face soon lit up more then normal when she proclaimed she should join him to go see if the was a bird in trouble.

''I like listening to the owls during our Astronomy classes, although I do begin to wander off in my mind sometimes, so far the lesson has been rather fun! But yes I agree we should go see if one of the poor things is in trouble, I was going up anyway! Just remember to plot your path a good six to eight hand and foot holds each time before you move on!'' he gave a cheeky grin before setting off upwards.

''So do you like Climbing? I've been doing it almost my whole life!''

Willa Mercier

Willa had to confess she did more then just listen to the owls. Sometimes when the teacher was distracted she’d move closer to the window and stare out. If she wasn’t careful she’d flunk Astronomy and that would be pretty embarrassing for a Ravenclaw, well at least she thought so. “I don’t really like astronomy.” She said with a shrug, “I thought it would be more hands on but so far all we’ve really done is learn stuff we could have learned in books or things I knew already.”

She was looking forward to scaling the tower with this Gryffindor boy. She loved the thrill of climbing and though she was more at home amongst the boughs of a tree she felt she could manage the tower ok. Alvis said to plot her path ahead so Willa stepped forward appraising the tower plotting her route to the first window ledge which was only about 8 feet off the ground.

Confident in her path she began her climbing only a little behind Alvis. She would wait till she was move confident in her plotting before she tried to overtake him, and she would overtake him! “Yes I love climbing though I’m normally up in the tree’s, there aren’t any cliffs near my house.” This wasn’t entirely true, “Well there are but it would take about half a day to walk there so I just stick to the trees. Do you live near cliffs or do your parent's take you? Do they climb too?"

Alvis Anderson

Now Alvis could talk till the cows came home, Willa seemed to just be like Alvis so maybe these two would make a perfect duo in years to come, who knows. Well it turns out she also can zone out when she already knows the subject like the back of her hand, just saying! ''Erm, hands on, Astronomy is about planets and stars how can you be hands on with those? I'd sure like to try mind you.'' he gave a cheeky smile as he neared the second window ledge, he was like a squirrel when it came to climbing.

''I only like it cos' the professor seems really out there! Other wise I'd probably join you near the window. As for climbing, If I'm at home you got the white cliffs, like a good miles worth of the thing but if with my dad then it's indoor climbing walls or muggle made ones outside, my dad flies muggle fighter plans!'' He was rather impressed that she could keep up so well, most people found this very hard work.

''So what do you like so far at the school? I love duelling and although the professor is rather angry I like transfiguration!'' 

Willa Mercier

Willa giggled she supposed hands on Astronomy didn't really make much sense. "I don't know" she said, she wanted to shrug her shoulders but a glance downwards showed that that wouldn't be a good idea, best to keep her grip solid. "I guess we can't really go on trips to the moon or whatever but surely they could create some sort of simulation or something. I guess staring out a telescope just doesn't appeal to me." She'd continued straight past the first window, not feeling the need to stop and pretty sure on her next path. She was keeping good pace with Alvis but he still managed to stay a fair bit ahead.

Alvis liked the Professors teaching style but Willa wasn't quite so keen, "I guess she's fun, she's a nice teacher but I suppose I just like something a little more challenging." Willa wondered if maybe she had a more serious teacher she'd take the subject more seriously. 

Alvis was definitely a more experienced climber then her and his practice at home was evident. Whilst her fingers and feet scrabbled into their holds Alvis scaled the wall like a monkey with minimal effort. Willa paid his manoeuvres more attention in an attempt to emulate his easy movements. This was definitely more taxing then tree climbing. Once they finished today's task she'd have to challenge him to something more in her comfort zone. 

"That's a cool job." she loved planes, at least she thought she loved planes. She knew she at least loved the concept. "What does he fight." She hadn't heard of any muggle wars, not that she kept up with the latest muggle news. "My parents have boring jobs, Dad works at the ministry, he finds out information about bad wizards to give to the Aurors and Mum's works with plants." 

Like Willa, Alvis liked Transfiguration too. It seemed the two had a lot in common and despite initially looking for some time alone Willa was pleased to have met the boy. He was easy going and not quite as serious as many of her housemates. Alvis would be good company for when she wanted to blow of steam from studying and just be an eleven year old. "I love Transfiguration, even with grumpy old Knaggs. I think Herbology is my favourite so far. I guess I take after my mum, she was a Ravenclaw too." The sorting had said she took after her mother more then her father, something that was becoming more evident with each passing day. "I'm not sure about duelling, I think the pressure get's to me a bit." her competitive nature meant that competing in duels was pretty stressful for Willa, she lost her cool a little in the duelling chamber.

They were just passing the second window now, there was still a way before they reached the bird. Following in Alvis path she was now only slightly below him. She felt with a push she could overtake him but that would mean going wide of their current route and Willa didn't think that would be the best idea. She didn't want to run out of handholds and end up stranded. She could race him when there wasn't a little birdie at stake. "So other then climbing what else do you like doing?"

Alvis Anderson

He agreed with Willa but he still loved looking at the stars and planets all the same, ''I just really find the universe fascinating plus now I know magic is involved. But maybe when we learn something a bit more advanced it might appeal to you more.'' Willa was still keeping up with the young lion and Alvis thought he might like to see what she could do, it was easy to follow the leader when climbing and she did seem to be capable enough at this time.

''Would you like to go first? I can give you tips if you need them.'' he said down to her as he stood on the next window ledge he came across. ''Oh my dad, well most of the time it's more peace keeping between other countries. They might fly over Britain and dad goes up to chase them off or say a natural disaster happens and he gets called in to help take supplies over but every now and then it can turn into war!''

However Alvis was more interested in her families jobs, he knew very little about the wizarding world and wanted to know as much as possible. ''WOW your dad works at the ministry! I met a few Aurors during this summer, wasn't because of something happy mind you but they seemed nice enough!''

Now came one thing Alvis struggled with compared to Willa, ''I find Herbology hard, I've managed so far but plants don't seem to be my thing. Animals on the other hand I'm really into, I can't wait till third year and we do Care of Magical Creatures. So you and your Mum are green fingered then? Maybe you can help me in class hahaha!''

Willa Mercier

“Maybe” Willa agreed, though she wasn’t sure anything would really interest in the subject. She would almost certainly be dropping it as soon as she was able.

Alvis offered to let Willa go first and she enthusiastically agreed, wanting the challenge of plotting her own path. She wasn’t afraid of falling despite clinging to uneven stones feet above the ground. She joined Alvis on the window ledge. She took a few moments to plan her route before setting off again.

Alvis’s dad seemed to have a very important and dangerous job. Willa was impressed. “Wow your Dad must be really brave, does your mum work too?” She hoped Alvis wouldn’t find her nosey, but Willa was always inquisitive, especially when it came to muggles. Alvis seemed to hold the same interest for her family. “Yeah dad works at the ministry, it probably sounds more interesting then it is.” Alvis mentioned he’d had a run in with some Auror’s and Willa knew she shouldn’t question him on it. He said it wasn’t because of something happy and she didn’t want to upset her new friend. “Oh, what happened?” she asked. Willa had never been good at keeping her thoughts to herself.

“I love animals too.” Willa exclaimed, pleased to find another shared interest. “We have lots of animals at home, dogs, cats, toads and all sorts of different birds not just owls. We even have a crup, do you know what they are?” Alvis confessed he wasn’t the best at Herbology. Willa couldn’t understand how anyone could struggle with the subject, it was just looking after plants! But she supposed she had spent her whole life tending to their large garden. “Yes, I’d be happy to help you out in Herbology. It’s easy once you get the knack of it.”

Alvis Anderson

Fear enough, if  she thought the subject was done an dusted or to boring that was a personal thing and Alvis found that they had more in common anyway. ''Yeah Dad is very outgoing, suppose I take after him in that respect, my Mum is a geography teacher and writes a column for a geographical magazine. 

Then she asked about the Auror's and Alvis didn't mind about it one bit, ''OH! Well a few of us back at PHP found a lost portkey! These two men had a hold of it and a few of us thought it fun to touch it. We went to a forest in Transylvania, I ended up alone with one of the men but he led us back to the others when An Auror turned up and got us back safe.

Willa talked about her pets, all the normal muggle ones until she said a crup? ''Erm no I don't know what one of those are?!'' he said scratching his head, the other hand holding tight to the window frame. It sounded interesting all the same, he knew about centaurs and Dragons from Muggle myths but some of the more lesser known animals Alvis had never heard of. He then grinned very cheekily as she offered to help him with Herbology in the future, ''Well If I ever show any aptitude to any class you need help in, Call on me!''  

Willa Mercier

Willa nodded in agreement Alvis certainly seemed outgoing. He seemed like a nice, friendly confident boy and Willa felt at ease around him. Although she had been initially very shy at Hogwarts she was becoming used to being around countless unknown students. She was starting to learn more about herself outside of her sheltered home life. At first her peers had seemed scary like they would laugh at her and mock her at any opportunity but so far that had not happened.

“Wow your mum teaches at a muggle school she must be really smart.” The only teachers Willa knew where her professor and you had to really excel in a subject to qualify for a teaching role at Hogwarts. “My mum writes a column too but for a Herbology magazine. People ask her questions about their gardens and she gives them advice. Sometimes she does work for the ministry as well.”

Willa was glad that nothing bad had happened to Alvis during his encounter with the Aurors, although there must be more to the story if Aurors were involved, although they probably wouldn’t divulge this information to a child. “I hate travelling by portkey, I don’t really like floo either. I can’t wait till I’m old enough to apparate, though I think muggle transport seems so much nicer. I’d love to go in a plane one day.”

She wasn’t surprised that Alvis hadn’t heard of a Crup before, he was only just learning about the wizarding world now and they wouldn’t be studying magical creatures for some time. He’d only know about the one’s he’d happened across in books and no one read books about Crups. He probably knew about Dragons and Unicorns, maybe even Mermaids but not Crups. “They’re a type of wizarding dog they look just like a little type of muggle dog, I think it’s called Russel Jack, but they have a forked tail, though we have to remove that so muggles don’t spot them.”

Alvis offered to help Willa out when she needed it. Willa was quite confident in her own intelligence and didn’t think she’d need much help, but the offer was kind. “Maybe you can help me revise for the Astronomy exams I’m sure I’ve missed half the class by now.”

She paused at the next window, the birds nest was in almost in sight now. “You wanna go ahead again?” she asked Alvis shifting across the window ledge. “We’ll need to find a good spot where we can help the bird without falling down.” She looked down gauging the drop. For anyone else the sheer drop downwards would have caused crippling fear, but Willa felt exhilarated. “Look how high we are!” she exclaimed excitedly.

Alvis Anderson

Willa seemed very enthusiastic at his Mum being a teacher, ''Well yeah you do have to pass a lot of exams to be a teacher but you can stick to your strengths and choose your path!'' Alvis was impressed what her Mum did and his mouth opened a little, ''WOW that's cool, I bet there's more to learn in Herbology then what my Mum knows about Geography!''

Then the girl brought up another word he had no clue about, ''Apparte! What's that, well I guess it's to do with travelling of course, haha.'' he scratched his head and looked dreamily into the sky around him. Then his attention was brought back to Willa when she explained what a Crup was, ''Oh like a Jack Russel dog! Cool, Awe poor thing, it doesn't hurt it taking it's tail? Muggles have had to stop taking dogs tails as it was seen as cruel.''

''Of course I'll help, I got a lot of it already in my noodle but things I didn't know are in my notes! Na it's Ok you go ahead, I'll keep an eye out in case you need help, it's not far now!'' he pointed at the nest and it was only a few feet higher from the spot the two had paused at. ''Go on, you look first, that thing sounds in need of help!''

Willa Mercier

Willa thought being a teacher would be a super cool job, though not one she’d like to do. “I don’t think I’d like standing up in front of a class and talking your Mum must be really confident.”

“I think my mum’s  jobs pretty cool too and now I’m at Hogwarts she gets to do more projects for the Ministy, she’s going to Africa next week to study the Shrivelfig in its natural habitat.” Realising Alvis probably didn’t know what a Shrivelfig was she added, “That’s a magical plant it looks like a shrivelled fig.”  Alvis thought there must be a lot more to Herbology then Geography but Willa wasn’t so sure. She didn’t know a huge amount about Geography but she could imagine the kinds of topics it would cover and they seemed to be numerous. “I don’t know about that, there’s all the different countries and the people there, then there’s rocks and volcanoes and weather and glaciers. I bet there’s loads more to Geography then we could imagine.”

Willa realised she kept dropping in magical words without realising. Not everyone was as clued up on the wizarding world as her friend Steph was. “Oh yes sorry, I forget this is all new to you. Apparating is where you almost instantaneously move from one location to another. You have to pass a test to do it because it’s can be dangerous, you could leave part of you behind if you’re not careful.”

Willa didn’t know that muggles had removed the tails of their dogs, she frowned a little. No wonder that had been banned that must have been so painful for the poor doggies. “No, it doesn’t hurt them, we use magic. We have to otherwise muggles might see them.”

“Thank you.” Willa still wasn’t sure if she’d need Alvis’s help, she wasn’t sure what he could teach her that wasn’t in a book. But it would be fun to study together even if she might have to cross reference any facts afterwards.

Alvis was happy for Willa to go ahead and even though she was a little unsure she scooted off the window ledge and back to the outside walls of the astronomy tower. The rocks were more uneven here making hand holds easier to find. The bird was just above her now, so she began to climb to the left beneath it, leaving room for Alvis to come up next to the nest on the right.

Level with the nest now she could see what was making the noise. A large stone had fallen from above pinning the wing of a mother owl to ledge on which she’d made a home. 3 little owlets called hungrily for their mother who was unable to free herself or comfort her babies. “Look” she called to Alvis. “Her wing’s probably broken we have to help her.”

Alvis Anderson

He knew she was a good egg from the off but now she proved it, If she found his mum's job interesting along with all the other things Alvis liked to do, she had to be OK right?

Also picking up knowledge that he hadn't yet picked up on was brilliant, Willa didn't over complicate the information and it was very interesting. ''Wow, yeah muggles can be very nasty to animals some times but after a while they get the idea and change their ways.'' he watched as she climbed higher up the tower above  of him, she was really making lite work of it and he was very impressed.

However the fun soon stopped when Willa found out what was wrong, ''OH blueberries, the poor thing. What do you think we should do? I don't know a bone mending spell yet. Maybe take it to a Professor, the Care of Magical creatures professor would know what to do?'' he looked at her and hopped she knew what to do or agreed with him. 

Willa Mercier

Willa knew cruelty to animals wasn’t just something muggles did, some Wizards were just as mean. Luckily most people weren’t, in fact here were two children climbing up the sheer face of a tower to rescue a bird. Willa was glad she had bumped into Alvis today the climb was exhilarating, she didn’t think she’d had this much fun since she’d come to Hogwarts. Yes, she’d ache tomorrow but it would all be worth it.

Will nodded her head in agreement, “I’ve read about some bone mending spells, but I don’t think this is the right time to give them a go. I think you’re right, we’d better get her to the Care of Magical Creatures Professor.” Willa wasn’t quite sure who taught that class, but she knew where the offices were. “Do you think we should take the chicks too.” Willa wasn’t sure how long the mother would be away from her babies or how long they’d gone with out food. “They might need some medical attention too.”

She also realised they would probably need to explain how the found the owl and climbing up the Astronomy tower was sure to lose her house some points. “We probably need to come up with a story, I don’t think we should tell the professor we rescued her from halfway up the Astronomy Tower.”

Alvis Anderson

Willa sure was a Ravenclaw, Alvis could tell from how she spoke about things using knowledge and learning over her heart! He himself was very impulsive and would probably of blundered the whole thing! ''I'm glad your here with me, I wouldn't have thought of that, although I don't think we should handle the chicks as the mother might not like that. Maybe place the whole nest into my backpack, be warm and safe in there!''

Then the next problem came up in his mind but thankfully he already had this covered, ''As for the Adult owl, I've got a blanket we can use as a sling that we can tie her to one of our chests so she doesn't feel to stressed.'' he looked to see if this was a good idea.  Then Willa asked about a story to keep them out of trouble, he knew stories should be based around truth so that you didn't have to think to much.

''Well we could say we had been reading at the foot of the tower, when the nest fell down next to use and that's how the owl broke it's wing and we came straight to the professor? What do you think?''

Willa Mercier

Willa beamed and blushed a little at Alvis's compliment. In all things intellectual Willa was clear headed but social situation's could cause her to become easily flustured. When she'd first arrived at Hogwarts she'd awkwardly bumbled her way through these kinds of interactions but she was slowly becoming more used to them. She was pleased Alvis seemed to be enjoying her company and was even grateful for it. "That's a good idea. I'm glad your here too I would have taken the chicks right out of their nest."

Alvis had a good idea about the sling but that faced it's own challenge. She wasn't sure about Alvis but she wouldn't be able to tie a sling around herself without falling down the face of the tower. The next window wasn't to far, "Should we climb up there to tie the sling and prepare your backpack?" she asked gesturing to window with her head.

Alvis's idea for a story was a good one in regards to the nest but an owl breaking its wing by falling wasn't, owls could fly after all. "Maybe we should say the owls wing was broken already?" she was sure there would still be plenty of holes in their story but hopefully the teacher wouldn't question them too hard. "Could you take the lead on that?" Willa was not a good liar. She stuttered, turned beetroot red and eventually told the truth without any questioning. "It'll be better for us both if I stay as silent as possible." It would actually be better for them both if Willa stayed behind but she wasn't about to let her friend get in trouble by himself.

Alvis Anderson

He was spot on with his assumptions of Willa, She come up with a great plan on how to tie the owl to one of their bodies by moving up to a safe window ledge first. This is why Alvis needed back up, he was always a do person rather then think but that's what friends are for right.

''Good Idea Willa! You get the nest and pop it up to me once I'm up there, then pace the owl up!'' Alvis quickly like a squirrel made it to the next window ledge and laid flat  enough to dangle his arms down to reach the nest and the owl if Willa passed them to him!

''OK now you come on up, Once up here you put the nest in my back pack and put it on. I'll sort the sling and the owl! Think my grip and climbing knowledge will be better suited having an owl strapped to me!'' although he still had butterflies about this but it didn't show. As for the story he agreed with Willa. ''Oh yeah, good point best to keep it simple and not to have holes in out story! I don't mind if you don't come but I'd be grateful if you did!'' he gave his cheeky grin and a wink. 

Once the chicks and nest had been safely stored into the backpack and the owl tied to his chest, Alvis nodded to Willa and he began to descend the tower, much slower and more carefully then when he was climbing it.

Willa Mercier

Willa smiled again at Alvis’s praise as he scrambled the few feet up to the next ledge with ease. She climbed a little higher herself finding some nice deep foot holds to allow her to free up an arm to free the owl and pass her to Alvis. She pecked a little a Willa’s hand, though not painfully, as she removed the rock. Willa saw her testing her now free wing and hoped she wouldn’t struggle as she picked her up. She didn’t want to accidently drop her or slip in her attempts not too. In fact, she hopped onto Willa’s outstretched hand seeming to know the girl was offering her assistance. Owls sure were smart little creatures. Willa passed her carefully into Alvis’s outstretched arms.

The nest proved more difficult. On closer inspection it was quite large and when she tried to move it the Owlets wriggled with protestation. She didn’t dare try to pass them up to Alvis she was almost certain they’d lose at least one baby in the process. They little things couldn’t fly yet and a fall from this height would be deadly. “Hey Alvis, can you pass your backpack down and I’ll put the nest in and pass that back to you, I think that would be safest.”

Alvis passed her the bag and she wriggled onto the ledge where the owl had made her nest. It was just wide enough for her to sit without falling, though she had to be careful. With the owl now safely with Alvis there was enough room for her and the backpack. Placing it on its side she scooped the nest into it, giving the squawking chicks a comforting stroke as she did.

After passing the backpack back to Alvis she joined him in the slow trip back to the ground. Climbing up had been manageable but going downwards was far more challenging. She had to lead with her feet which made route planning far more difficult. Still despite a few slips Willa was managing with no major incidents.

Alvis Anderson

Considering how high the tower was and the very limited room they had, Willa seemed to be very well adapted to manoeuvring round to help out with the owls before they set off. Once on their way back down the tower, taking it easy with the precious load  each of them carried, it took them a while, trying to find foot holds only using their feet more then often rather then their eyes as they couldn't really see to much.

'Your doing great Willa! If the wind picks up just hold your position till it wanes a little, we don't want to put our selves in any difficult spots do we!'' he giggled a little but not to much or he might upset the owl strapped to his chest, ''How are the owlets doing? Mum's doing very well, I think she knows we are here to help!'' from the distance he was from Willa he could only make out the odd hoot or chirp but the mother owl seemed to be trying to respond with what sounded like calming noises of her own.

''Awe! She is a good Mum! Bless.'' he smiled and continued down the tower, taking a break on the halfway ledge of one of the windows. ''Time for a rest I think, you OK?'' 

Willa Mercier

Making her way down with the additional wriggling weight of the backpack was challenging. But Willa liked anything that was difficult, it was that that spurred her on despite the growing ache in her arms. She’d certainly sleep well tonight. On top of trying to find a safe path down she was trying to be careful not to jiggle the little birdies too much. She didn’t want to upset them.

“Thanks Alvis” she called down grateful for his encouragement and advice. So far the weather had been kind to them but it had been a windy day and could pick back up at any moment. “I think the babies are okay?” she wasn’t sure that was entirely true, they certainly weren’t happy to be secured in a backpack. But she was sure they weren’t hurt merely annoyed.

She was pleased when Alvis suggested a break from climbing scooting next to him and placing the backpack carefully next to her. “Phew going down is a lot more difficult then going up!” she said stretching her stiff arms. “How’s mummy doing?”

Alvis Anderson

He was clearing the sweat from his forehead and getting him self comfy as he listened to his new friend when she sat down next to him, ''Yeah when your going the same way as gravity your adding to the pull I guess, going up your creating a counter to the pull, that sound right?'' he wasn't really a thinker all that much but he thought it sounded right.

''Mums fine, think she more worried about those ickle ones then her own problems, Do you think she is a magical owl? Are all owls magical or are they like rats some are and some are not!'' he had heard this while in the magical menagerie during the summer, he wished he could of bought an owl then but his dad said he could have one for his birthday, which wasn't far away now!

Finally he touched back down on the solid ground and watched as Willa followed behind him. ''Safe and sound! Right I guess we had better get the professor now, Should we take the owls with us or should we lay them out as though we just found them? You could wait her while I go get the professor if it the later but if the first we best get going!''

Willa Mercier

Willa took a long deep breath enjoying the brief brake from climbing. She had definitely enjoyed her little trip up the tower despite how exhausted she felt. Meeting Alvis was the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. Willa had really enjoyed spending time with him and hoped they would continue to be friends.

She wasn’t completely convinced with Alvis’s explanation regarding the challenges in climbing downwards. Surely adding to the pull would be more difficult then going with it? Moving downwards was less strenuous, it was just the challenges in manoeuvring that had made the climb down more trying. However, Alvis was a new friend and Willa didn’t want to make him feel confronted or belittled, every idea was still a good idea. It showed that he had looked at the factors and tried to make a conclusion from them, even if she thought it was wrong. He also had much more experience in climbing then she did. “Yeah that could be it” she said. Maybe if their friendship continued she’d be able to correct him, or, the less likely outcome in her opinion, have him correct her.

Willa gave the mother a gentle stroke. “Don’t worry your babies are fine and we’ll have you back in your home in no time” she cooed at the owl. Alvis wondered if the owl was a magical, Willa assumed living at Hogwarts that was probable. She hoped they hadn’t stumbled across someone’s pet, they would be terribly worried by her absence. “Owls have a natural attraction to magic so although not all owls are used by wizards all owls can be, though they need to be taught how to deliver post.” Willa knew a little on the subject from questioning her parents about it as a child. She wasn’t an expert on the subject, in fact what she had just told Alvis was the limit of her knowledge. “I don’t know how you’d teach them that though. Maybe when the chicks are old enough we can figure out how to teach them together.”

Willa was glad to be back on the ground; her arms were starting to feel like jelly. Alvis put forward two suggestions on how to best deal with the situation. “I’m not sure, if we both go to the professor I might end up getting us both in trouble, I’m not a good liar.” That was an understatement. “But if we stay here she might expect the scene to look slightly different.” Willa thought for a moment analysing each option.  “How about we leave the owlets in the backpack and the owl in the sling and say we were going to bring them to the professor, but the Mum got upset when we separated her from her babies.” She smiled guiltily at Alvis. “Would you mind getting the professor, I just don’t want to get us in any trouble.” She hoped Alvis would understand that she was looking out for him rather than being a coward.

Alvis Anderson

He nodded along and scratched his head but he decided Willa probably right, ''Yes that sounds like a good Idea! I'll just take this off and go get the professor then!'' he undid the sling from around himself and handed the mother owl over to Willa. ''I wont be long, there's some biscuits in the side pocket of my bag if you want to help your self!''

As he made to turn, he gave a small wave to Willa ''See ya in a bit Willa!'' and he sped off towards the entrance to the castle, making sure to repeat what he was going to say to the professor and not tripping over as he sped up to try and get there quicker.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.