Ariel Bellerose

some time to be ourselves

Ariel Bellerose

Those shoes, right?  Rowan got around fast on those things.  Ariel was surprised she hadn't fallen and broken something before now.  But he was surprised about that at other times, not when he was trying to catch up with her after a bizarrely stimulating and just plain weird muggle studies class. 

"Row!" he called, then winced.  Was he even allowed to use that nickname?  It wasn't just for like, close friends or something, was it?

"Wait up!"

He was trying to flag her down now, with the flyer he was still holding.  Because Rowan had been kinda right.  Ariel knew all about the standard birds and bees, it was the non-standard ones, the ones like him, that nobody was talking about.

@Rowan Allard

Rowan Allard

Ariel’s voice was familiar now. It was one of the sounds she kept tucked away in the back of her mind, able to be called upon at a moment’s notice. Only at that particular moment, all Rowan wanted was to keep walking, to pretend as though she didn’t hear him.

Unfortunately (or, to normal people, fortunately), Rowan had yet to master the art of ignoring people. When someone called her, it sounded a siren in her brain that refused to be silenced until said person was approached.

Through all her misdirected frustration and as she neared her breaking point, she made a sharp U-turn. Her shoes had provided yet another useful manuver she'd have to add to her skill book. She paused, waiting for Ariel to come to her instead of her approaching him.

“What?” She asked, her voice tense and terse. The anger and annoyance that had boiled over and spilled out of her in class was still there, resting just below the surface. “Come to do some stupid kiss-based gesture? Want me to fix your relationship? What is it you want?”

Ariel Bellerose

He'd known she would still be angry, though Ariel wasn't sure what had made Rowan angry in the first place.  Did she have a crush on Hals and Dax as well?  She couldn't.  They were both awful people and Ariel was sure there was something wrong with him for being interested in either of them.

Or... Everyone else in the class had either been extremely interested, or very disinterested in the entire subject.  But only Rowan had lost it.  Oh, well he supposed Hals had lost it too, but that was because of the whole Selena situation.  That didn't count.  Rowan had lost it for no reason at all.  Maybe she didn't like all the talk of sex because she just wasn't that into it.

Ariel could sympathise.  Everyone said you couldn't know what you liked before you went through puberty.  You weren't supposed to know what sex was before then, so how could you know what you were attracted to, was their logic, he supposed.  But Ariel had liked boys before he even started Hogwarts.  Oh, and girls, but the boys were always the problem, weren't they?  They definitely were to his parents, who seemed to think being bisexual was even worse than being gay.  Gay people couldn't help it, but if you were bi, why couldn't you just ignore it?

So until last year he had tried to ignore it.  It had worked for a while.  He'd managed to convince himself he wasn't really attracted to any of the other boys, he could just appreciate the male form.  Like an artist.  But even at the time, it had not completely slipped Ariel's mind that an awful lot of great artists had been hella gay.

He shrugged awkwardly at her question. 

"Kissing isn't all that," he replied.  "I mean, you kinda have to want to do it, y' know?  Otherwise it's just swapping saliva, which is pretty gross when you think about it."

Rowan Allard

Ariel’s response wasn’t exactly what she’d expected; granted she never knew what to expect out of him. He was a mixed bag that she found herself reaching into blind, unsure of what she would receive. This time, it had been a rather unfortunate description of kissing.

In return, she scrunched her nose, allowing her brows to knit together. It was an expression meant to convey her aversion to his words, but it made her look even more like a small child throwing a tantrum.

And perhaps she looked like that because that's what she was. Not a child, per say, as she was nearing the age of fifteen, which was practically ancient, but she was throwing a temper tantrum nonetheless. Storming out of class, yelling at people, getting upset for not getting her way.

She heaved a heavy sigh; using it as a physical action meant to push out her negative emotions. When the still felt annoyance and anger dancing their way through her body, she heaved another. The brief time she spent doing this was enough for her to shake the nagging thoughts that pulled at her, tempting her to give in. 

"Yeah, kissings gross. Now that we've established that, why are you following me?" Rowan asked, her expression having relaxed back into something that resembled normal.

Ariel Bellerose

Ariel just kind of looked at her.  This was not a question he'd expected to be asked, and now that she had asked it, he wasn't sure he knew the answer.  

There was something about Rowan.  Only a few months ago, he'd thought she was intimidating, but then he'd told her something he'd never told anyone before and it changed his whole life.  That made it feel like they were connected, even if they weren't exactly friends.  And you had to look out for your not-exactly-friends.

"I dunno," he shrugged.  "It was pretty obvious you were upset, and I wanted to make sure you were all right."

Edited by Ariel Bellerose

Rowan Allard

Ariel's words hit Rowan hard and fast - had it been a physical exchange she was sure at least a few of her bones would be broken and a lung would be punctured. His response had been unexpected, confusion coloured her face when they were delivered, and that had been what hurt her.

At some point between last year and this, her outlook had apparently changed so much that she immediately assumed everyone's intentions were bad. Not just people like Dax, but everyone, even people like Ariel. That was enough to make her stomach churn, that painful type of ache that made you feel worse with every passing moment, 

"I - - sorry, it's just been a long..." She paused, trailing off at the end of her word as she attempted to figure out how to continue, "year, I guess. But, I'm okay, no worries, right?"

Ariel Bellerose

Ariel did not for one second believe that Rowan was okay.  But he had picked up, somehow, somewhere, that you weren't supposed to argue when someone told you they were okay.  Especially if they were a girl and you were a boy.  That was like, Very Not Good.

So he shrugged again, since that was apparently his M.O. when he was around Rowan Allard, and tried to act like he did believe her.

"Right," he agreed with a duck of the head that wasn't quite a nod.  "Cool."

"But, um, just if you weren't okay, sometimes it's good to have someone to hang out with."

Rowan Allard

Rowan wanted to lash out at Ariel, wanted to tell him that she had plenty of people to hang out with. However, there the two of them were, escaping the pandemonium of their sex ed class post Rowan having a near breakdown and he was the only one to have followed her.

Not Ollie or Lydia or Seeley. Hell, she'd have expected Fe before Ariel -- Rowan might have hung around their little gang every now and again, but that was more because of Ollie and Fe and less because anyone else in the group enjoyed her company. At least that's what she thought.

Granted, this could have just been another ploy to get glitter out of her or some over craft-based extortion plot. A heavy sigh escaped her as she snaked a hand into her brown satchel. From it she pulled a single serving of silver glitter. 

"You can just ask for stuff next time, Ariel. You don't have to pretend to like me." 

Ariel Bellerose

Ariel was a little bit stunned by Rowan's words.  Not by what she said, people said things like that all the time, especially when they wanted sympathy.  But Rowan sounded like sympathy was the last thing on her mind, and that was the thing that made Ariel pause.  What were you supposed to do when someone said something that... that raw?

He wanted to reach out to her, only not for the glitter, and Ariel didn't know Rowan well enough to do that.   He might not have tried it even if he did.  So he ended up sitting down at the side of the hallway, leaning up against the wall.

"Have you ever seen me pretend to like anyone?" he asked.   "I'm not a glitter junkie, Rowan.  I don't like you because of that, I like you because you're a nice person."

Rowan Allard

Had it been a different time; or had this been a different version of Rowan, one that existed before the mess Cathy made of her life, perhaps she would have been touched by Ariel's assertion. Nice was something she strove for in the past - she'd wanted everyone to think she was the nicest. But this version of Rowan knew that nice meant nothing; no matter how often she'd correlated the two, she knew that nice was not the same as good. 

"Thanks." It was a hollow gratitude, but she couldn't allow a compliment to go without acknowledgement. At least Cathy had been good for something even if it was only good manners and the forced use of them. 

She tapped the toe of her shoe against the wall Ariel was using for support; nothing came from the motion save for an ache in her toes from the too small shoes. It was a nervous habit of hers; an attempt to work through the thoughts swirling in her head.

"I don't know what you are." She admitted, ceasing the tap of her shoe against stone, "I don't even know if we're friends."

Ariel Bellerose

Ariel shrugged.

"Join the club," he said.  "It's just a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world."

"'cept for Lola."

He tipped his head back against the wall and smiled wonkily up at her.

"Hey, Rowan, wanna be friends?"

Rowan Allard

She wanted to stomp her feet like a petulant child and tell him that's not how being friends worked. Only, seeing as none of her friends had chased after her, Rowan wasn't sure she knew anything about friends anymore. Perhaps she's never known anything about them to begin with. 

Instead, she let out a quiet, dejected sigh; she was resigned to the fact that this was her life now - one in which she had to re-build her friend group from scratch. It wasn't as though Ariel was the worst person she could start with - in fact, that would be Dax Gordon. "Yeah, I guess we can be friends."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.