Jaxon Sinclair

We all need something watching over us

Jaxon Sinclair

the pet plant project

day one

Jack had made sure his gloves reached all the way up to his shoulders before he picked Achilles up and traveled with Rad, also carrying his own plant, down to the lake.  He was all for showing that he was responsible enough to take care of the little botany project, but he didn't want to smell like mimbulus mimbletonia stinksap all day.  "I should have written to Kip," he complained.  "He could have told us what these things actually like in more detail than the stupid book."  His cousin's husband owned that nursery after all.  "I'm not sure taking them for walks is actually beneficial."  He was of the opinion that the plants probably wanted to be stationary in a place with decent sun and plenty of water...you know, like the book said.  His companion, however, seemed convinced that the plants needed pampered like children and Jack was beginning to wonder if it was about Herbology or about having an excuse to leave the common room and do something together.  

"Should we talk to them?"  He held Achilles out at arm's length as they walked along the edge of the lake.  "Hello Achilles.  I'm...Jack."  He angled the plant toward his eccentric company.  "This is...your...uncle?  This is Radueriel.  And Patro...Patro...his plant."

Jaxon Sinclair

the pet plant project
day two

Jack wasn't sure how Rad had gotten him to commit himself to such an absurd act as playing father-figure to a smelly plant, but he'd managed it.  Maybe it was the hapless puppy look that was always on his face or maybe it was because he'd wormed his way into that small network of people that Jack would destroy things for.  It hardly mattered, really.  

The bottom line was that he was now on a picnic with Rad and some mimbulus mimbletonia.  He'd written to his cousin and managed to procure a small box of specialty plant food for this very occasion.  "The directions say to mix it with water--"  He produced a water bottle and carefully dumped the package into it, grimacing at the smell.  Then he handed it off to Rad.  

"Here.  You do this.  I'll be...holding my breath."

Jaxon Sinclair

the pet plant project
day three

The pet plant project was winding to a close and Jack found that, despite the foul odor that clung to the two mimbulus mimbletonias, he was rather going to miss the amount of time he'd been able to spend with Rad when the project was finished and they turned Achilles and Patroclus back over to @Professor Hambeldon.  They had nothing in particular planned for that day—just taking the two plants out to the lake for some sunshine and more of that wretched food Kip had sent them.  Jack had learned to mix it well before they went to feed them.  It helped cut down on the initial smell, which his weak stomach was incapable of truly coping with.

"I'm kind of gonna miss them," Jack mumbled when they sat the two potted children down by the lake.  He took the bottle from his bag and, after taking a very deep breath, opened it up and dumped the contents into the two planters.  He'd almost gotten used to the smell.

Almost.

Looking down at them, Jack exhaled loudly and readjusted his glasses.  "I don't think I want to give them back.  What if Professor Hambledon doesn't feed them like we do?  What if he doesn't take them on walks?  What if he kills them?!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.