Addison Toft

Down the fairytale path

Addison Toft

"It's here somewhere. Always along this wall." 

Addison pressed herself against the stones, and began pushing at different bricks to see if she could trigger anything. She didn't know what exactly caused the room to spawn, but it was here, that was for certain. Touching various stones didn't seem to do anything though, so the blonde proceeded to draw her wand and use it to tap bricks at random - like how the entrance to Diagon Alley from The Leaky Cauldron operated.

Beginning to mutter to herself ("I know you're here, damnit"), she hoped Reid didn't think she was making this up, or was crazy. The room existed! She'd been inside before, multiple times!

After ten minutes of hard investigation, the blonde backed up and lightly kicked the wall in frustration. "It's supposed to be here, dumb room! Maybe it only shows up on certain days of the month, or... I dunno. I'm sorry, Reid." Holstering her wand, she turned to her fellow Gryffindor and shrugged. "Maybe we should just look for another room? I mean, any room would work right? I was just hoping this one would be here because it always has all the supplies you could think of... what stuff do you think we need, anyway?

Reid J. Fauchelevent

With Kirk turning into a #NOREGRETS hot mess with the cancellation of Quidditch, Reid didn't know what he would do if Addison took a dive off the deep end. Good thing they were at Hogwarts and a magical room pulling a disappearing act willy-nilly seemed exactly the sort of thing the castle would have. No craziness here. He followed after her with mounting excitement - because out of the pair of them, Addison stood the better chance of locating it - which slowly began to wane as the room did not reveal itself.

She had piqued his interest and now he wanted no other. So Reid shook his head, determined now to show his disappointment. "Uh," he said, suddenly flummoxed. What sort of things did one need for an engagement? He already had the ring. "Well, like, location ideas, 'cause it needs ter happen at the right place, aye? I can'nae jus' spring it on 'im one mornin' - " he grinned, pausing. "I mean, I can, but..." he shook his head again, pacing back and forth as he brainstormed. Magical room, fine; magical room that came with ready supplies as though willed into existence? That sounded like asking for a lot.

"An' then I was thinkin'..." he was thinking too much, that was the problem, and he needed Addison to help him - "Get organized," he blurted. Then he rounded on Addison with wide eyes. "We need ter get organized. Like," he cast about, "whiteboards an' dry-erase markers an' - an' maps o' London - no, scratch tha' the whole o' England. An' the Hogwarts as well. Um. Magnets - fer th'board - or better yet - Spellotape. Um, um, um..." he tapped his chin in thought. "Oh, we'd need snacks probably, too - or at least heaps o' coffe an' tea..."

Addison Toft

Addison's eyes tracked her lanky friend as he circled about, back and forth, back and forth, ba-

"Look!" Without either of them realising it, the door had appeared. Willed into existence - how, she hadn't the foggiest. Perhaps they'd been lucky with their timing, and showed up just before it was scheduled to materialise. Whatever the case, Addison rushed up to the door before it could vanish, and tugged on the handle to get a look at what lay inside.

It was exactly as Reid described: whiteboards lined the walls, along with baskets of dry-erase markers (of every possible color they could want) and erasers, maps of England (municipal, topographical, meteorological) on various scales from nation-wide down to specific boroughs, blueprints of Hogwarts, rolls and rolls of spellotape, lots of tablespace with comfortable chairs, kettles of steaming coffee and tea, and platters of finger-foods (tea sandwiches, traditional biscuits, even a stack of Scottish shortbread).

It was the perfect headquarters for planning any kind of event, though currently it was particularly equipped for their mission in mind. She turned to look back at Reid. Grabbing one fo the Scottish shortbreads, she used her teeth to break it in two, grinning and saying through a mouthful of biscuit, "Told you, didn't I?"

Edited by Addison Toft

Reid J. Fauchelevent

The room was real.

Had he really just willed a room to his exact specifications - into existence?

Not only was it real, but it was exactly what he'd brainstormed and more. Everything was in glorious excess. It was the base of operations of their dreams. With his powers of imagination (it was a wonder he didn't do better in Transfiguration) and Addison's magic, they were wizards unmatched.

"Gimme tha'," Reid blurted, snatching the other half of the shortbread from her hand and stuffing into his own gob. He chewed and chewed. Then, "Tha' tastes like mine. Wha' witchcraft is this?" He turned about the room in wonder, unable to fathom the potential a room like this had - and the fact that he'd only just discovered its existence. That hit hard. He approached one of the chairs and threw himself into it (real - and really soft, too). He ran his hands over the armrests; he could spend all day here. He should show this room to Kirk (only not quite like this ) - then he had a light-bulb moment. "Ye said this room was a broom-closet at some point?" he asked. "It's soundproof, aye?"

But no, that was something to think about later. Right now - plotting. Launching himself out of his chair, Reid stepped up to one of the white boards and snapped up a red marker. "Okie, so here's wha' I was thinkin'," he said, scribbling 'PROPOSAL IDEAS' at the top of the board, following with a circled "1" on the left-hand side. Capping his marker, he turned to Addison. "Maybe I oughta do it at a place tha's special to him. I mean, Quidditch Pitch is nixed, 'cause tha's where John did his propo' an' besides, s'a bit of a sore spot right now... Or maybe I'll drive 'im out to where we go campin' an' do it - Oh, maybe my room? Jus' spring it on 'im?"

Addison Toft

She'd long since past the point of questioning this room. 'Magic' was how it worked, and that was enough of an explanation for her, although she didn't know how it could come up with food out of thin air. From what she remembered in their early years of transfiguration, there was that law stating food could not be created from nothing, although it could be summoned if the location of said food was already known. Everybody knew the kitchens had tons of food stocked up, so maybe there was a house-elf down in the kitchens, horrified at the mystery of vanishing platters.

Settling into a chair of her own, Addison pulled her feet up and munched on a tea sandwich thoughtfully as Reid went through different locales. She dusted the bread crumbs from her shirt and sat up straight. "Do you have some place that's special to you guys? The first place you went on a date, or where you asked him out or he asked you out the first time?"

Ideas were percolating in her own head too, which she gathered up and stored for safekeeping. Anything Reid didn't use might come in handy later, for her own personal use - even though her 'practise run' with John hadn't gone so swimmingly...

Reid J. Fauchelevent

"Well," Reid struck a pose - a thinking pose, arms crossed, lips pursed, and brows angled just a wee bit downwards - and scribbled word on the board, below the number 1: 

McDonald's

Hogsmeade

The Bakery

Blencathra

My room

His room

"All o' these are special, in their own way," Reid explained, before Addison could get a word in edgewise. "Mackers was the ferst place we went out to out in London tha' was nae our own houses. An' my room - oh, man, Addie - Kirky will nae use the front door and instead climbs the tree outside me window ter get in," he grinned. "Since the fest day, he still does tha. HIs room's special 'cause it took 'im a wee bit to lemme see it..." With a hum, Reid crossed out The Bakery and Hogsmeade. "He'll nae like the crowds, probably. Blencathra, though..." He doodled three stars next to it. "Tha's our secret camprin' ground. He can fly around an' no one can tell 'im he can'nae do tha." He spoke fondly, recalling just this past Summer.

He could kind of picture it. "Maybe while he's flying around, I can be like - " he mimed holding the small ring box and opening it to an imaginary Kirk somewhere up high, " - as he's comin' down. Whaddaye think?"

Addison Toft

That didn't sound like a bad idea unless the sight of the ring shocked Kirk so much he fell off his broom and plunged to his death. Addison wasn't sure if that was better or worse than The Bakery though, because she could guess Reid would be tempted to bake the ring into something, have Kirk bite into it, and then discover it when he nearly chipped a tooth - except there was the chance Kirk might swallow the ring hole and then choke on it.

"If you're going to do that, you should wait until he's got two feet back on the ground." She pulled herself off the chair, grabbed a marker and crossed out McDonald's. That would certainly lead to a proposal that was dead on arrival.

Glancing at the clock (because of course this room had a mechanical clock, all gears and cogs. There were actually several lined up, each one showing the time in a different location, although some of them weren't in different timezones so they were showing the same time. Addison consulted the one labelled 'Hogwarts'.

"Listen, I should get ready for my meeting with Qin, but we can think on this stuff for now. You come up with a place to do it, and we can go from there?"

Reid J. Fauchelevent

Addison had a Very Good Point regarding a broom proposal. Even John had waited until Inara was safe on the ground, before popping the ring out.

Then again, Kirk was not Inara and Reid liked to think Kirk would manage to remain airborne, say something like, 'What the flack is that?' from on high, and finally saying 'Yes.' Reid could picture it perfectly. Blencathra, then, seemed like the best option - for the time being. He stared at the board as though he expected it provide him with better options. When it didn't, he turned back to see Addison gathering her things.

"Oh aye," Reid nodded, waving her off. "I'll stay here fer a wee bit," he continued and poured himself some tea in a dainty little cup, "an' hammer out some more ideas fer next time."

end of first session.

Reid J. Fauchelevent

"I have a new idea," Reid spun around to face Addison, hands open with a new pitch.

With all the hustle and bustle that had happened between their last meeting and this one (unanticipated bathroom emergencies, Triwizard Tournament activities, subsequent and frantic cramming session, etc. - he was being selfish here and thinking only of himself; Addison had probably been super-busy, too) it had proved difficult to find a slice of time where the both of them could escape to the Room of Requirement and plot. There was no other word for what they were doing.

The Room hadn't changed much since the last time the two of them were in it, except that now there were also a giant wheel-of-fortune type of thing, that had all the potential proposal locations listed on its slices, with a few empty spots, and which Reid correctly suspected was what the Room deemed the best solution for his indecision.

The Room was sassing him.

Wow.

Reid pointedly ignored the wheel. Neener.

"Wha' if..." he started slowly, drawing the idea out, "I propose ter Kirk... after the Tournament. Like, I'd have ter win ter do tha'. But tha's... motivation to win?"

Addison Toft

Addison did not ignore the wheel. She spun it. Multiple times, in fact. Wheels were great, and they came in all sorts of varieties: fortune, chore, time, mediocrity (she heard there was once one such wheel of mediocrity that would spin for hours and hours and hours until finally landed on something unsatisfying), the list went on.

Clackclackclackclackclackclack...

"But what if-"

Clackclackclackclack...

"You don't win?"

Clackclack... clack... clack... clack...

"Then your plan is screwed."

The wheel landed on an empty slice.

"You could just propose during the first task, since that guarantees you'll still be in the tournament then. Like, just in the middle of whatever's going on, drop to one knee and shout out your proposal to Kirk. Then everyone will see it, and we'll all be here to watch so Kirk won't miss it. He won't be able to answer you right away, but then it'll give you motivation to finish the task fast, so you can find out what he has to say."

Reid J. Fauchelevent

It was difficult to tell if Addison was paying attention, with her preoccupation with the Wheel of Proposal Locations and the ratcheting noise that it made as the pins made contact with the little red arrow. It was oddly satisfying and wholly distracting and Reid was failing not paying attention to it. Curses!

His worries were dispelled when his best friend spoke up - with a point.

And a crazy idea.

Crazy good.

His mouth immediately fell open while the rest of his expression dawned with imagination. He could just picture it: chaos, creatures, spells flying left and right - but when the dust settles and whatever wizard-cam it is that the have zooms in on Reid getting down on one knee to ask Kirk to marry him. How's that for a show, huh? Reid was grinning by the time the movie reel in his head had run out. But. But.

His shoulders dropped.

"I don'nae think tha's special enough," he shook his head with a small smile. "Kirky said---" he stopped himself from continuing. Reid could read between the lines of Kirk's words to him when he'd been selected Champion, but not everyone was Reid. He flapped a hand at that. "S'gotta be... big," he wind-milled his arms. "S'gotta be a victory. Can ye jus' imagine, though? Who's ever done tha'?" 

Addison Toft

"Probably no one, seeing as people tend to not get married when they're seventeen." That is, as far as Addison knew. Maybe the magical world was different, but in the circles she was accustomed to (which were all muggle ones), it was uncommon for people to get married that young. Some waited til they were finished post-secondary education and landed jobs and some married while they were still in college or university, but it was certainly (from what she knew), a minority of folks that got hitched at seventeen - probably because the legal age of adulthood in England was eighteen.

She gave the wheel a listless spin before leaving it alone and sitting down. "Obviously winning the tournament would be big but... there's eleven other people, Reid. I'm not saying you're going to lose, but you have to prepare for that possibility right? So let's say you don't win... what's plan B?"

Thinking about other big moments that were more certain to come up in their lives, Addison suggested, "How about graduation? That's going to be big. You could put a message up in the sky, like a sky-writer? Everybody throws their hats up in the air-" Was that a thing at Hogwarts? "-and when we all look up, then there's your message!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.