Arabella Jones

Don’t you hear that rhythm?

Arabella Jones

”So, Casper, what do you think of Molly?” Arabella asked, a little too cheerfully. It was possible that she had missed the tension between her best friend and her...whatever @Molly Stone was, and she needed Casper’s opinion before she made any world-shattering decisions, like stupidy asking her out.

Casper Abernathy

This had to be some sort of joke. He blinked, hard, as if the brief darkness might plunge him back into reality. But, nope, he was still sitting by the lake and being asked about... Stone. He was already grimacing. Of course, only an idiot would be able to miss Stone and Arabella making eyes at each other and kissing in the Great Hall. So, of course, Casper had noticed right away. The question was then: Did he have to handle things like this with sensitivity? It was clearly... feelings (his grimace worsened) of some sort. 

So, he was sensitive... to the best of his ability. 

“I don’t think of Stone if I can help it. I don’t like her at all.” He huffed. 

Arabella Jones

”Wait...you don’t?” It shouldn’t have been a surprise, since Arabella was probably the only person in history to successfully befriend Casper, but it still left her with a shocked expression.

Still, she needed to probe further. For her own sake.

”What don’t you like about her?”

Casper Abernathy

“No, I don’t. Not at all,” he huffed again, refusing to even look at Arabella because of her expression. Why was the girl so shocked? It wasn’t as if Casper ever kept his dislike to himself; so why would his dislike of Stone be any different?

“I just don’t like her.” He didn’t even want to delve into the millions upon millions of reasons. But, there was one glaringly obvious one. “She punched me,” he muttered, hating to even admit it. Come to think of it, he hadn’t told anyone about that. He’d simply kept it to himself. 

Bloody hell. He wanted to take it back. Maybe it could just be a secret again. 

Edited by Casper Abernathy

Arabella Jones

Maybe Arabella needed to pay more attention to her friends.

”I need a reason, Casper,” she replied, tapping her foot against the ground. The boy’s next words, however, stopped her foot completely. “What? When did that happen?” She asked, frowning. “Is this like when you and Chuck have your weird Gryffindor fights?”

She would never be accepted as a Gryffindor now.

Casper Abernathy

So, not only was Arabella completely oblivious when it came to Stone, she had to bring in Berger too. His jaw was tightening; he may just get a headache yet. 

“My weird Gryffindor fights with Berger?” The way she said it didn’t have nearly enough spite attached to the words. “You make it sound like we’re having these fights for ‘fun’ or something?” Eyes narrowed at his friend... she was his friend, right? “Well, we’re not. It’s not some rite of passage. He’s just a prat.”

And, Merlin, he was probably on a roll right now considering he’d never talked about this with anyone.. not even his own family. 

Edited by Casper Abernathy

Arabella Jones

The truth was simply that Arabella had spent the past two years stuck in her own head, so she just hadn't cared enough to notice who hated who. She was also partial to being insensitive without meaning to, something Chuck had found out the hard way.

She could tell Casper was getting upset - she was rather hyperaware of his moods - and she frowned. "If this is bothering you, we can drop it," she said, even though she really did want to know why the three most important people in her life apparently didn't get along. Someone really should have written her a memo in bright red lettering; that surely would have got the message through, clear and simple.

"I dunno what's going on in Gryffindor Tower, do I?" She asked, sounding mildly miffed. It was a sore topic, and Arabella didn't like bringing it up without reason. "Have you ever actually tried giving each other the benefit of the doubt?" She asked now, tilting her head slightly. It wasn't like the two boys had ever fought in front of her, and she expended way too much energy praising each one in front of the other. She ought to just lock them in a classroom and get them to sort out their issues.

Then again, she really liked having both of her best friends alive.

Casper Abernathy

"It is bothering me, so let's drop it," he snapped.

And then he remained quiet. One second. He could hear the loud, screeching squeals of students from the Greenhouses. It was giving him a headache. Two seconds. What animal was making those incessant noises? Three. He could hear Arabella breathing.. and bloody hell, everything was so annoying! Especially Stone. Stone was the worst! He couldn't drop it. He always dropped it and he didn't want to forget. He could NEVER forget. Besides, it was especially important that he didn't drop it now... What if Arabella did something stupid... like liked Molly even more than she already did?

He huffed. "Nevermind! I don't want to drop it. What if I do and then you go off and... and..." He couldn't even say it. "And kiss Stone again." The boy couldn't even say the word without grimacing; it was as if saying it brought back the memory of his best friend kissing his worst enemy to the forefront of his mind. "But, whatever, maybe you don't even care that she's horrid. You're still friends with Berger even if he did beat me up first year."

That time wasn't even a secret... still hurt to admit though.

"Giving him the benefit of the doubt isn't going to do a thing." He huffed. Again.

Arabella Jones

She opened her mouth to reply, but Casper was already talking again. The two of them had had several arguments over the course of their friendship, but this seemed like something completely different. It felt like Casper was finally letting everything out, and Arabella, for one, could appreciate it for what it was.

“Oh, let it all out, why don’t you,” she said, grumbling. “Don’t hold back now.” She sighed, and looked up at her best friend. “If it makes you feel any better, I haven’t really seen her since the Sorting Feast.” It was certainly distressing, but Arabella wasn’t going to admit to that; especially not when the two girls weren’t even much of anything. They’d kissed a few times and that was it.

“Casper...” she began, before his next words stopped her again. They really were going for a record here, huh. “He what?” There were so many surprises getting ready to attack her out of nowhere today- why was everyone so eager to hit her best friend? She would need to have a word with both of them and sort this out.

It was a fact, though, that she found it a lot easier to talk to Casper than anyone else. After all, he was the only person she’d shared everything about her parents with. 

She sighed. Again. “I mean,” she started. “You never know that?” She tugged lightly at the boy’s robes as her words turned up as if in a question.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.