Cora Ives

Let me be your potted plant

Cora Ives

It was terribly exciting to learn that a friend had accomplished something great. Cora still didn’t exactly know what prefects did, but she knew that it was a Big Deal to become one and that they earned these great badges and got to do all kinds of wonderful things. It was something to be very proud of and Cora was very proud to learn that another of her very close friends had had the honor bestowed upon them.

Ethan Smith was an angel and a savior and if anyone deserved this title, it was him. (Probably.)

As soon as Cora found out about Ethan’s ascension into the elite prefect ranking, she sent a letter home to her papa and plead with him to send her her best potted fern. There was a worry that it wouldn’t make the trip in one piece but Cora was pleased that, just a few short days later, she held a lovely fern in a lovely yellow and black pot (hand painted with heart and cloud shapes) in her little hands. She carried it with her for hours before she was able to corner Ethan during a free period.

“Congratulations!” She held the pot out to him, beaming up at him through the fern’s leaves. “You’ve done such a great and amazing thing and I am so proud of you!” Maybe she was beginning to tear up a little, sure, but it was fine if they were good tears. “My Auntie told me once that plants make very nice celebratory gifts, so I’ve gotten you my very best and very favorite fern to celebrate your accomplishment. I hope you’ll love it and cherish it as much as I love and cherish you as a friend.”

There was a very real possibility that Cora would begin spewing hearts from her eyes in real time.

Ethan Smith

This week had been a worldwide of emotions, Ethan still couldn’t believe everything that had happen, people coming up to him all the time telling him that if he had not gotten the badge they would have been upset, and he was just shocked. He never once thought that he was going to get this badge, he dueled and studied a lot. But other than that. He never did much outside of that, well he was sure he did some things, like dueling mentor, and helping with the house when they were searching for who made a cookie mess and things like that.

Walking to the lawn, he needed to take a breather and just get out of the castle, and for once it was a nice day outside.

What he was not expecting was for Cora to walk up to him, he was finally out of classes for some time. It was a lot of work when you were trying to take as many classes as possible, which was something Ethan shouldn’t be doing, but he couldn’t help it. Knowing that there was a lot that he was able to learn, and he didn’t want to miss out on anything.

“Cora, thanks.” He said, as he saw that she was holding something, were those plants for him? He never gotten plants from anyone before. “Don’t cry, there is no need to cry.” He went in to give her a side hug, since she was still holding the plants. “They are for me, there are amazing. I have to bring them back to the common room.” And make sure that one Rosie didn’t find out about them at all.

“Having you as a friend is all I need Cora, but these plants are going to be next to my so I can remember who gave them to me.” They were amazing, and they had some hearts and clouds on them. “Tell your aunt that she has knows the perfect gift to give someone.”

Cora Ives

Cora was definitely crying. It was less of the messy blubbering that would drown even the strongest of rats and more of a consistent stream that dampened everything it touched but wouldn't necessarily draw an inordinate amount of attention. At the very least, no one would think that new prefect Ethan Smith was abusing the poor girl--it would be hard for anyone to think that with the way Cora was grinning, broader and broader until she thought her cheeks might very well lift from her face and ascend into the heavens above.

She was just so proud and warm and her friends were so amazing and so lovely. In a past life, she must have saved at least three different countries to be deserving of these types of people now and she counted each moment as a blessing that she would carry with her until the end of eternity. 

"I'm sure you'll be so busy with all of these new duties and I might not get to show you my friendship very much with all that going on, is all, so I thought having something nice like this would be good! Something to keep you company even if you get very extremely busy and you can't find me!" Cora tipped the plant into Ethan's hands so she could return his hug in full, wrapping his (much-larger) body between her arms. Either she was growing smaller, or the rest of the Hogwarts population was growing much too much. 

The size difference was nice for a more snugglier hug, though.

"But if you end up needing help with it or just if you want more of if you wanna talk or hang out or if you just need a hug? Or anything! I can come find you and do whatever I can do help!" It was hard to make complete and coherent sentences when she was still sniffling and wiping at stray tears, but Cora didn't give up just because of crying. "I'll always be around for you, my very good friend and best prefect. That's all."

Ethan Smith

He didn’t want to see his friend crying, but he knew that they were happy tears, but he walked over closer to Cora and gave her a hug. “No need to cry.” At least he hoped that would stop her from crying, knowing Cora for five years, it is strange to see how much things can change over time. They were friends and now she was giving him a gift for getting prefect. Not something that he was used to at all.

The whole people knowing him more then just a duelist, it was going to be interesting but he was ready for the world to come at him. And to try his best.

“I won’t be to busy finding time for my friends.” At least he hoped that he wouldn’t be that busy at all, knowing that life can change that. “The plant is the best thing that everyone is able to get me for getting the badge.” Not even Ms. Smith got him anything when he had found out he got the badge, all she did was take him to Diagon Alley to be able to get some new uniforms, since he seemed to grow like crazy between the summer of fourth and fifth year.

He didn’t expect to get so tall, but here he was hugging Cora, who was a lot smaller than him. But he didn’t care.

Moving away from the hug. “That is awesome, I am sure that I am going to need some help this year, while I might be busy I will always make time for you.” He took the sleeve of his robe, to try her tears. “Just no more crying. Let’s walk back to the castle so I can place this perfect plant in my dorm room.”

Cora Ives

Not crying was an awfully hard thing to do when being enveloped in a big, warm hug. It was awfully hard to do when all of Cora's worries about Ethan being too wrapped up to see her every once in a while were being soothed. It was awfully hard to do when her heart was absolutely bursting with all of this pride and happiness--both in her friend and in her gift, which was pretty great, she had to admit--and it was awfully hard to do when all Cora could think about was this great future laid out for them and all of these emotions just made her want to cry more.

But Ethan was a Prefect and Cora was pretty sure she had to listen to those people and he was wiping her face, so it wasn't like she could let the sacrifice his nice, dry sleeves made be in vain. 

"I will always, always make sure that whenever you want anything from me, I will be there, alright?" She made this solemn promise with a final tiny sob because she was Strong now and In Control of Her Emotions and could reel them in when the time called for it. Probably. Just a little bit. She wasn't quite strong enough to resist another hug, though, and wasn't about to take that joy from herself. It was just a quick one that she launched upon Ethan this time, just enough of a squeeze drive in how incredibly present she would be in his life.

"It will look so nice in your dorm room," she chattered as she released him and took his direction to begin the trek back up to the castle. "I made it special to look nice in a Hufflenuff's room so it'll match all your decor and all of your roommates will be jealous of it." There was some smug satisfaction in there that everyone would see what a great friend Ethan was to deserve a nice gift like that. "I can even sneak in and help water it if you get busy, you know? I have lots of Hufflenuff friends that can let me in for you!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.