Willa Mercier

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

Willa Mercier

Willa clung to her parents. She had been waiting for this day her whole life but suddenly she didn’t want to go. Hogwarts seemed scary suddenly, a place full of the unknown and Willa felt, in this moment like a girl who didn’t like the unknown. Even with her kitten, Hilda, and a lunchbox full of her mother’s cooking she felt like she was leaving everything behind. Sure, she was excited for the lessons and the library and finally being able to use her wand but what if she didn’t make any friends. Sure, she had met a few people at Pre Hogwarts-Primary who she had liked, and she hoped liked her but what if they were all sorted into different houses. What if they didn’t want to be friends with her anymore.

With words of comfort and encouragement Phelan and Dodie finally managed to usher their young daughter onto the train, helping her stow her trunk and find a, thankfully empty, carriage. They promised to wait on the platform to wave her off and excited. Willa could see them from the window and they waved encouragingly wrapped in each other’s arms. Dodie dabbed at her face with tissue wiping away tears that Willa couldn’t quite see. That simple act had Willa’s own eyes watering. She pulled out a book, not paying attention to which one and stared furiously at the page, glancing up every so often to check her parents were still there.

As the train pulled away from the station the page in front of her blurred. The overload of emotions, apprehension, fear and distress, had finally overcome her, heavy drops fell onto the page running the ink, but she couldn’t bring herself to care. She furiously wiped tears from her eyes. How embarrassing to be sat alone on a train crying.

Anastasia Lum

It was one of those mornings which seemed lovely out the window, but promptly blew cold gusts against your face and shins upon opening the door. It didn't help that Ana was wearing a brand new muggle dress that only went down to her knees. It had looked cute in the catalog with its still photos, but she longed for her warm witches robes while her elderly aunt took her down to the underground station.

Then there had been delays getting on the right line on the underground, and then there had been the bustling crowd of muggles at King's Cross.

Her great aunt's soft hand held hers tightly, as though afraid she might run off into the muggle world and be lost. Ana stared wide eyed at the muggles streaming around them. She tried to pick up snippets of muggle conversations over the sound of her luggage's rolling wheels.

She'd never seen so many muggles at once, and they were all dressed so strangely!

Eventually they made their casual appearance on platform 9 3/4, and her aunt gave over the handle of her very large toad's carrying case. "Don't forget to eat lunch, dear. Be sure to send an owl when you've got settled in. And don't swim in murky water!" She smiled and ran her wrinkled fingers through Ana's brown hair. Ana grinned up at her. "I know! I'll see you at Christmas!" She flung her arms around her aunt, and her toad gave an indignant croak at the sudden movement.

And then she was joining the throng of students boarding the train. An older boy helped her get her luggage up onto the train, and suddenly she realized that she was rather late in boarding. Most of the compartments were full of much older students whom she didn't know. She clutched Spart's carrying case close to her and peered in at compartment after compartment of students chatting like old friends or showing off items from the summer holiday.

She was starting to get concerned when the train began it's slow pull away from the station, but then she spotted a lone girl about her age reading a book. She opened the door and leaned in to ask if she could join the girl. No sooner had she opened her mouth than she noticed the girl was crying. "Uh, sad book?" She wasn't really sure what to say, but she really didn't want to continue her search for a different compartment if she didn't have to.

Edited by Anastasia Lum

Willa Mercier

A voice at the carriage door shook Willa from her melancholy. In fact it startled her much that she let out a sharp squeak her impulses pulling her from her seat and throwing her hands in the air. Hands that had been cradling the unknown book which sailed gracefully through the air clattering next to the cage which contained the snoozing Hilda. Of course the commotion woke the kitten who then added to it her own mewls. 

Willa stared towards the door and seeing only a girl who looked similar to her in age coloured deeply. Not only had the girl walked in on her crying, Willa had than had a wildly overdramatic reaction to her entrance. "Oh" she said. Staring wide eyed and unconsciously placing a hand to her chest to calm her wildly beating heart. "I'm sorry, you gave me a bit of a shock there. I didn't notice the door open" 

She clambered onto the seat retrieving her book, smoothing its rumpled pages, and the attention seeking kitten. What had the girl asked her again? "Umm yeah, sad book." She plonked herself back down casually tossing the book aside before noticing its cover, Magical Drafts and Potions, not exactly tearful reading. She blushed a little grinning at the girl. "Ok, maybe I'm a little nervous, I've never spent more then a night away from home, and my mum was crying, and then I thought what if the teachers are mean, and then I thought what if no one likes me, and then.." Breath Willa! She realised she was rambling spilling her inner most fears to this stranger. She smiled as another wave of heat hit her cheeks. She wiped the remaining dampness from her eyes and took a steadying breath. "well yeah I'm as I said I'm a little nervous. I'm Willa by the way."

Hilda kept on crying butting her head against the door of her pet carrier desperate to be free. Willa wiggled her fingers through the bars trying to soothe the grey tabby but only received a few stubborn nips in return. "Sorry about Hilda she doesn't like being in there. She'll quieten down soon." She had assumed the girl had come here looking for a seat, but maybe she wouldn't want to stay after Willa's emotional behaviour and Hilda's continuing racket. "That's if your staying, of course you don't have too, I wouldn't be offended, Hilda's being very loud so I'd completely understand if you didn't want, but if you want to you can." She was rambling again. She took another deep breath ignoring the third flush to cross her features. Be cool Willa. "I mean whatever" she finished with a shrug. Was that cool? She was trying to sound cool, though she hadn't quite managed it.

Anastasia Lum

The crying witch, Willa, seemed pretty nice, and Ana felt sorry for how badly the poor girl had clearly been startled and embarrassed. "Uh, yeah, if you don't mind." Ana smiled at the other girl, hoping to calm her nerves somewhat. "I'm Anastasia Lum, but you can call me Ana." She pushed the compartment door open and pulled her luggage in behind her. Spart gave several deep croaks at the racket the kitten was making, but Ana was more curious than annoyed by the mewls coming from Hilda's cage.

"What kind of cat do you have? Is she just a kitten?" She'd seen kittens before, but never so close. Her family all had amphibians of various shapes and sizes as pets, and tadpoles really weren't cute in a cuddly way. She set Spart's cage on the bench and knelt to get a better look at the other witch's pet.

Edited by Anastasia Lum

Willa Mercier

Willa calmed a little as Ana made her way into the compartment. "Hi Ana, are you a first year too?" The girl looked like she was the same age as Willa but it was difficult to tell. She seemed pretty calm so maybe she was a second year already. 

Ana made her way into the compartment and Willa's attention was drawn from the noisy Hilda to Ana's own vocal pet. "Yes Hilda is still just a kitten, though she's growing so quickly. She was a present from my parents to take to Hogwarts with me. We have lots of pet's at home but they're family pets. Hilda is just mine." Willa thought back to the menagerie she was leaving behind and a frown graced her features. She turned the cage towards Ana so she could see the angry kitten inside. "She's very cute, but very naughty."

She tried to peer into Ana's own pet carrier. From the sound it was making it sounded like a toad but she couldn't quite see. They had toads at home but they weren't really pets. They lived in to pond and did nothing but wallow and croak all day. "Do you have a pet toad?" She asked politely. "What's it's name?"

Anastasia Lum

Ana beamed at the scowling kitten mewling from inside its tiny enclosure. "She's brilliant! Yeah, I'm pretty excited about seeing the castle!" But she quickly turned her attention to her own pet's cage when Willa showed an interest. "This is Spart!" She unlatched the door of his cage and reached both hands in to heft out the 7kg toad. He was bigger than a bulldog puppy, and looked about as grumpy.

"He's from North Africa!" She set the extremely plump, sandy colored toad on the compartment's floor and smiled excitedly at the chance to show off her pet. "Would you like to feed him? He likes meal worms mostly, but he'll eat about anything that fits in his mouth." She giggled and then paused to give the other girl a chance to respond.

Willa Mercier

Willa chuckled a little at Ana's exclamations about her pet. "Yeah she's brilliant, until she claws your legs trying to climb you. I think, she thinks she's a parrot, she's always trying to perch on my shoulder." 

Willa's eyes widened as Ana produced her toad from his home. He was more like a small dog then a toad, certainly nothing like the mottled green creatures they had at home. "Wow he's huge! We have toad's at home, 3 of them, Croaky, Slimey and Warty. Mum say's they're not pets, they live in our pond and help with the ecosystem, but she still bring's them inside when it gets cold and feeds them."

Willa nodded enthusiastically as Ana asked if she wanted to feed him but wasn't sure about the meal worms. They seemed a bit icky. "Would he like some of my sandwich" she asked producing a cheese and ham sandwich from her bag.