Damaris Denton

Family Resemblance

Damaris Denton

Post One

Okay, this was a colossal bummer. She had plans with @Killian Dracel that she'd had to put off because Gryffindor had to land them in detention. The entire Gryffindor Quidditch team. And now she and Kaleb Kennedy's older sister Inara were paired together, supposed to take care of one of Professor Gawkrodger's babies. 

A baby that kept staring at both of them, a baby that looked more like a mandrake that was recovering from a demonic possession than an actual baby. "I'm hungry, you need to feed me now."

Was....that the voice of a muggle actor? She wasn't sure which one it was, because her mother didn't like it when she watched muggle films. She held the baby at arms' length, instead of picking up the bottle. "Does this baby look like Kaleb did when he was a baby?" The resemblance was amazing. And then Damaris promptly placed the baby in the classroom's waste bin. "There. That's where it belongs." 

WC: 159

Inara Kennedy

Inara Kennedy had never thought that she would lose points but she had. And it was @Kaleb Kennedy's fault. She had always known that Kaleb could be ridiculous but she hadn’t known the full extent until that Quidditch game. It upset her because she didn’t want people to be mean to him but he was being mean to others! She had slapped Damaris because she had been saying stuff about Kaleb (and because she had an awful mouth on her) and she wished she hadn’t.

It was too late now and both teams had been given detention. They were paired off and assigned tasks. Inara, of course, got stuck with Damaris. They were given a weird magical baby from hell. It was so creepy that she was sure they would both have nightmares about it tonight.

“Kaleb usually had more puke on him,” she commented while she always kept her eyes on the baby. It was terrifying and she was sure it could move so she wanted to keep tabs on it at all times. When Damaris dropped it in in the bin, the voice came back and said, “I’ll tell your Heads of House. Now… I need a diaper change!” And then it started crying. The worse sound Inara had ever heard.

She grabbed the thing from the trash and set it on a table. “This… thing is horrifying. Think we can make it happy with magic?” The baby’s head moved to indicate “no” and she sighed. “What do you think the odds are of us getting out alive? I give us a 2.” She was sure the baby would kill them somehow.

Flashes to Twilight Zone episode #126: Living Doll

[282 words]

Damaris Denton

Post 2

WC: 172

Damaris laughed loudly at Inara's remark. She'd have to remember that one for later.

The baby was complaining from the garbage, but honestly that just made her think of Kaleb more.

"Go ahead," she said to the baby as Inara moved him. She had no idea how to take care of a baby, much less one that was clearly evil. She wasn't that fussed about Professor Wollice finding out about what they were doing in detention. 

"Two sounds about right," Damaris said, blinking at the baby. She fished out her wand and jingled the charms on the end, which seemed to entertain the baby, if only briefly.

"Sorry I was mean to you by the way. To you, not your brother. It's this whole stupid situation, but it doesn't give him the right to say things like 'why don't you do less with your mouth and more with your beater's bat." She made a face at the thought.

"We should probably change the baby too," she added.

Inara Kennedy

This was not only terrifying but awkward. Inara felt bad at how she had treated the second year. She had been so swept up in protecting Kaleb. She hadn’t realized how bad Kaleb could be and she hadn’t taken the time to find out. If the situation hadn’t taken place during a Quidditch game, she thought it would have turned out very differently. Hopefully Kaleb would learn his lesson and do better. Same for Damaris. She wasn’t exactly an angel.

“I’m sorry too,” she said, turning to look at the younger girl. “You are right, it doesn’t give him the right. I know he can be awful sometimes. I’ve tried to talk to him about it but I can’t promise it will get better. I can’t exactly control him. But I shouldn’t have slapped you. I should have asked for the truth and dealt with it another way. I feel really bad, to be honest.” She sighed but continued. “Just don’t let that stuff get to you… I mean, don’t stoop to his level, you know? Your mouth and words can be dangerous too.”

If Damaris got that out of hand because of Kaleb, Inara couldn’t imagine what other situations brought out in the Slytherin. If Damaris didn’t work on it, her rudeness would get her into major trouble and Inara didn’t want that. The second year was talented at Quidditch and she seemed smart. Hopefully she was smart enough to change her attitude.

“You might be right,” she said, referring to the baby. She waved her wand and one of the nappies that had been provided flew over. She then moved her wand a few more times to change the baby. But it was still crying. “Are you serious?”

[290 words]

Damaris Denton

Post Three

WC: 214

Damaris was surprised when Inara apologized to her. She definitely hadn't expected the Gryffindor take that step. Quite the contrary, she had expected her to throw her apology back in her face, and then tell her that Kaleb was some sainted hero and she was the spawn of a demon for daring to have come to think the opposite. 

"It's not your fault," Damaris added. "For not asking. He is your brother." She didn't have a sibling close to her in age, and she and Dante only tended to see each other at holidays. But she supposed that if she did, she would have behaved just as Inara had. 

She pursed her lips when Inara told her not to stoop to his level. "I...." Honestly, she really wanted to tell her off for the advice, but the words weren't coming. "Maybe you're right. I guess I could handle that." If she came out of the situation looking better than Kaleb did, she had to admit that she'd consider that a win.

She frowned when the baby continued to cry. "Maybe he's hungry? I think they included a bottle?" She had to cover her ears when the baby's crying grew louder. "JUST TELL US WHAT YOU WANT, WE KNOW YOU CAN TALK!" 

Inara Kennedy

Inara didn’t understand why this girl and her little brother were at war. Both of them had a good side put perhaps they only saw the bad in each other. That made her sad. Maybe she could do something to make them realize that fighting was silly. But then again, she knew her brother was extremely stubborn so she doubted it would work. Damaris also seemed stubborn. Clearly Inara was hoping for everything and would get nothing.

“That’s nice of you to say but I still should have asked. I know how Kaleb can be so… I don’t know, I guess I acted out because I didn’t want to admit it. I love him and I want him to be better but he’s stubborn and honestly, I think it’s just immaturity. I’ve been hoping it will get better with age.” She sighed and turned to look at Damaris. “And Damaris, I don’t say that your mouth is bad to put you down. I just think that you are a good person, it just doesn’t always come off that way. I want you to have friends and be able to communicate effectively. I want you to be successful.”

And then the baby’s wails got louder. The second year might be right. It could be hungry. Inara looked around for the bottle but didn’t find one. She grabbed her wand and said, “Accio bottle!” The thing came flying their way and she snatched it out of the air. She then shoved it in the baby’s mouth and waited. “Please stop,” she whispered under her breath.

[263 words]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.