Professor Althaus

VH37 Boat Ride

Ezmeralda de la Renta

Boat #2

"I had an extra," she shrugged. "Already got a full stash."

With a twinkle in brown eyes, Ezme leaned forward to show off overflowing robe pockets full of candies she had yet to try and others she neglected to remember the name of. "My dad gave me my allowance for the whole term." And the short statement serves as the perfect explanation. What else was there to say? Sure, she was supposed to save the money for emergencies, but this was one in itself: she needed the full wizard experience.

Plus, it was worth it to see the girl's reaction. When Ezme had opened the package, her frog had escaped, jumping about the train compartment so wildly that she'd knocked over a boy's trunk and stood on it to reach high above to the suitcase rack where the frog had taken residence. Fortunately for her boatmate, she had a quick enough grip to prevent the frog from hopping off into the dark waters.

"Cool, huh?" She giggled, amused. "If the sweets are like this, they've got to have better stuff inside." A wistful glance was tossed toward the castle, closer than before but still so, so far away.

"And yeah sure." Now, her smile was even brighter. "Thanks." Being paid back for your kindness was even better than just doing it for free!

Edited by Ezmeralda de la Renta

Kelby Matos

Boat #2

Ezme’s kindness threw Kelby off guard. She had never really had friends before, often moving to a new school before she created those interpersonal relationships. Someone who was intentionally being nice to her with no gain for themselves startled her and made her alert to all the actions going on around her.

What if this kindness was used to exploit her? What if she was trying to use Kelby’s naivety against her to make her look like a fool? Though Kelby chose to indulge in this instance, she still tried to be watchful around Ezme just in case any hidden jokes, made at Kelby’s expense, popped up.

She chewed through the chocolate frog, gasping slightly in delight. It was good – better than the non-magical chocolate she had experienced by far. But the fact it MOVED? Food was not supposed to move, and Kelby grew slightly concerned she would have to shove all of her food in her mouth before it hopped away from her. “So cool. So good… but does all food here… move?” It was WAY too much effort to have to catch her own food each night. No thanks.

Kelby, unsure how wizarding money worked, pulled out a bunch of the small bronze coins from her pocket. “Is this enough?” There was no way she was telling the girl that she had no clue what all of this money meant, even if Ezme was kind to her.

Kay Wickham

With one hand dipped in the lake and the other still gripping her shoe, Kay hung precariously over her side of the boat as she hugged the seat hard with her knees. Her fingers brushed some seaweed and she beamed at her shipmates over her shoulder. "Magical seaweeeed," she sing-songed with an air of gravitas (an unlikely combination that probably didn't work as intended).

She twisted back around and plopped into her seat, brushing her shoe off with her wet hand to make it nice and shiny for the impromptu christening ceremony. "The Mermaid Surprise, it is! So say we all!" Kay brought her shoe down upon the side rail with a decisive motion, a thud that echoed across the lake.

Followed by a sploosh as her shoe slipped out of her damp hand into the water.

Kay sat there blinking dumbly for a moment before leaning over the side again, her hands stretching out to search the dark deep. It was a moment before she settled back and laughed, shrugging. "I guess that's a mermaid surprise?"

Wiggling off her other shoe, she chucked that one over as well. "Be with your solemate!" she cried, and curled her toes in her sweatsocks. "This way it'll look like I lost my shoes on purpose," she said. "Maybe the mermaids can use them."

Then she frowned, staring out at the lake again. "Oh, wait... they don't have feet." Her eyes widened, and she looked between Robin and Fran with some concern. "I hope they don't think I'm poking fun!"

KAY THINKS TAILS ARE BEAUTIFUL, TOO.

Francis Barnes II

“Oh no…” Francis trailed off as he watched Kay’s shoe sail through the air before disappearing into the murky depths of the Black Lake.  If they were lucky, this small bout of misfortune wouldn’t have any long, over-arching consequences on the Mermaid Surprise’s maiden voyage.

“I hope we’re not capsized by something nasty that hates your shoes.” Francis mused reasonably, “I don’t want to swim to Hogwarts.” He was wearing one of his favorite sweaters for the Sorting Ceremony, and he didn’t want to ruin it before even making it passed the castle’s gates.

“Maybe you can entreat them to accept a different offering?” Francis recommended, “Something better than what’s been on your feet?” Francis was not saying Kay’s feet smelled so much as he was making a general statement on the relative unpleasantness of shoes and foot odour in general. “Maybe candy?  Or are we just polluting the lake at this point?”

The creatures that dwelled deep within the Black Lake probably didn’t like it when 11-year-olds started tossing stuff willy-nilly into the water, even when that stuff was candy.

Edited by Francis Barnes II

Robin Corelli-Rose

Entreating the local wild...folk was also not something Robin had thought of, though thankfully his friends had. Namely Kay. He watched her shoes sail overboard and disappear with a plop into the dark water. He was still resolutely sat at the middle back of the boat, just in case; he had exactly 0 desire to see the seaweeds Kay mooned about or the potential mermaids that grabbed at her shoes.

"We have to climb," he felt compelled to say, gazing up at the castle well above where they were heading to. It wasn't especially helpful, considering Kay had already sacrificed her footwear, but, at the very least, she should be made aware of the possible challenges.

Then again, Kay could climb trees in socks.

Who even knew what was possible?

Francis had better questions and Robin reluctantly redirected his gaze to the water. It murked, with nothing but the mirrored sky above. "If we polluted it, I think the magical folk would tell us," he said wisely. Mermaids were magical, after all - perhaps they were more attuned to filth in their waters. They had only what they could bring in their robes on offer, since their luggage went ahead, and Robin was not offering either his enchanted journal or his dad's pocket-watch. He'll fight the mermaids for it.

Still.

"No more tossing." 

Aiden Hunter

Boat 4

Finally, off that stupid train. Aiden had spent most of the trip going from compartment to compartment trying to find a bit of fun. Unfortunately for him, most of the time it ended up in awkward silence. Aiden shook his head, he couldn’t believe how stiff some people that were going to this school were. He gathered with the other students and look on at the castle in the distance. This was where he was going to school for the next seven years? Now that was awesome. If any of his muggle friends from back home knew about this they would be so jealous. But alas, Aiden had to tell them that he was going to some private boarding school instead. They were a bit skeptical, as anyone would be with the Hunter family financial situation, but of course in the end they accepted it.

That’s when he heard the teacher say they had to go by boat. Now he was sure the school was trying to make a cool experience that the first years would never forget but, he wasn't exactly what you would call...the biggest fan of open water. There wasn't any specific memory of event tied to his dislike of the stuff. It was more the fact that you never know what could beneath the surface, or whether it was friendly or not. It wasn't like he had a choice in the matter though, and he take a seat on a boat. Aiden smiled when he saw his friend Alvis. He felt like they had connected over the summer quite well and was glad that he was going in with someone that he could call a friend. "Alvis! Boy am I glad that I got on this boat with you. I'll tell ya there were some strange ones on the train. I can't believe that we're actually here going to school now. I thought this day would never come! I mean, I also never thought I'd be excited about going to school but I guess there are first times for everything."

Edited by Aiden Hunter

Avery Potter

Avery couldn't help by chuckle at @Rían O' Donnellscoff. 

"I know it sounds really strange." She told him as she shrugged. "But it is tradition. Hogwarts likes their traditional stuff. Like feasts at holidays and things like that. Well, that's what I was always told."

She didn't see them heading into the twenty first century anytime soon. Muggle technology did not work within Hogwarts for a reason, and she wanted to experience it all as she dreamt about it. 

"Why wouldn't you come back? You may really find your place here, Rian."

Kay Wickham

"We have to climb," Robin warned her with characteristic brevity, and she followed his look towards the castle wall and the staircases beyond. Kay nodded at him, and flexed her socked feet once more, glad that she hadn't worn her favorite ones today after all--or shoes, for that matter.

Kay's eyes widened further when Francis wondered aloud whether they might just be polluting if they offered any further gifts unto the maids of mer. She hadn't considered that, but Cissy was probably right. It would make a lot of sense if her shoes were classified as garbage by the inhabitants, and rather than being curious about the vestments of the land-dwellers, the lot of them might actually be frustrated by years and years of children dropping junk into their water-house.

So she turned onto her stomach and placed her chin on the ledge of the boat, staring out into the dark as the end of one braid slid into the lake. "Sorry!" she called out, just in case a mermaid had been hit by a shoe and was listening now. "I'll learn to dive and come back and clean your house of my trash shoes, and leave you something better!" That should cover the damages. Like a bandaid. Nothing fixes a problem forever like a bandaid!

Robin supposed that the 'magical folk' might tell them if they were doing something nasty like polluting, and Kay hoped so. As much as she hated finding out that she was doing something bad, it was better than never knowing at all.

Her gaze fell to the water again, and she grinned hopefully. "Maybe the squid will like shoes? Tentacles are kinda like sticky wormy feet." She hadn't heard too much about the squid that apparently also dwelt in the lake, but if it was a collector of lost items, perhaps it was in luck. At least it might enjoy her glow-in-the-dark lime green shoelaces.

Edited by Kay Wickham

Francis Barnes II

“I can’t carry you,” Francis stage whispered to Kay, though he need not have bothered; the boat was very private. “Hogwarts is a lot… higher up than I thought it would be.” He admitted shortly thereafter, eyes drawn to the towering castle.  It cut an intimidating figure against the dark blue-black of the night sky, wrapped fashionably in shadow and starlight.  The windows of the Great Hall were all alight with a bright yellow glow.  It was warm and inviting; a stark contrast to the otherwise cold vibe Hogwarts gave off in the dark.

Francis stared at the castle so long, his face started to grow numb and tingly.  Unsurprising; Francis had always been one to feel his emotions physically.  It was much harder to place the emotion.  Was this fear, excitement, anticipation, or some combination of the three?

“Maybe the giant squid is king of the merfolk.” Francis guessed.  His voice had a distinctly soft and dream-like quality to it, as his thoughts were still somewhat preoccupied with the castle and the journey that lay ahead of them. “He probably has a collection.  A collection of all of the lost shoes that enter his kingdom.

“That’s a really big castle.” He tacked on at the end, proving just how little he’d been paying attention. “I hope I don’t get lost.” D:

Ordinarily, Francis liked to wander, but he’d never received a detention in his life, and he didn’t want to start now simply because he couldn’t find his way to his classes.

.__.

Robin Corelli-Rose

"Best thing about Slytherin House, apparently," Robin mused, glancing at water briefly. When Francis and Kay both oggled questioning looks at him, Robin realized his error. "Slytherin is in the dungeon," he explained carefully. "But it's got windows that look out into the lake." That was part of a dinner conversation about a month ago, since both his dads and Lindy were were three different Houses, and Robin worried about where he'd be Sorted. The only House that remained a mystery was Ravenclaw, but "it was pointless asking your Uncle about it, Robin," Arcite had said. "He'll pretend it never happened."

"Like an aquarium," Robin illustrated. Slytherins probably saw lots of mermaids. And fish. And the... other things that lived in the lake. He wasn't sure he liked the idea himself, but Francis and Kay might. So he told them - just in case. All the merthings were probably just as interested in the students and their dry, oxygenated world, as the students were in their green depths. They were probably drawn by the lights... Robin quickly looked up at the lantern by which he sat and frowned, shifting uncomfortably. The castle still looked almost as far away as it had from shore.

"We'll map out the castle," Robin murmured boldly, to take his mind of the lantern, the denizens beneath the water that might be attracted to it, and how much farther they still had to go. "As one of our missions."

Alvis Anderson

''Aiden me boy! Great to see you, I tried looking for you on the train but I was late getting on and had to find the first spot I could. I met a nice chap, not very outgoing but pleasant enough. I know what you mean me boy, can't wait to step inside! Hope we end up in the same house. What was that?''

Just out of the corner of the lake, Alvis thought he spotted something sinking back into the water. That side of the lake wasn't well lit and the flickering from the lamps of the boats didn't make it easy to see, ''Aiden, did you see anything sinking into the deeps of the lake? Over there!'' Alvis pointed and stood on the bow of the boat, slightly rocking it in the process.

He didn't think it was a good idea for the two of them to be fished out of the lake on their first night at Hogwarts, so he gently sat back down and kept looking over at the spot he was sure something had vanished beneath the water.  

Cosette Mercier

Sitting alone on the boat, it was the best thing for Cosette, she didn't want to have to talk to people that she didn't know. Sure most of these people were going to be her yearmates, but that didn't mean she had to talk to them. She much rather like to take in the sights on the castle, the place that is supposed to be her home for the next seven years. That is what her mother told her, but this wasn't going to be her home. She was going to be just living here for a few months, go home, come back, and than leave. She wasn't going to be calling this place her home.

Cosette did hope that while she was here, she would learn a little more about her father. Since she got this magical powers from her father. Since he went to this school. Pulling her read hair behind her back, there was some wind and it was making her hair go crazy. She knew that she had to put it up in a ponytail or a bun.

When her hair was up, she placed her hand in the lake. It was cold, which she wasn't surprised about at all, since it was the first of September, and it was late at night. Cosette, just hoped that there wasn't anything inside the lake that was going to hurt her. She knew that, from her reading, that there was some creatures in there. It still wasn't something that she believed at all. Creatures like merpeople couldn't be real at all. There was no possible way that they were real.

Cosette still wasn't believing that any of this magic was real. She was just along for the ride, because her mother asked her to at least try it out.

Asher Outterridge

Boat #7

Was it just Asher or were there like, a lot of first years? Many of the faces he'd recognized from his time at PHP, but there were just as many that were unfamiliar. After a train ride that last approximately a million hours, the boy was beyond ready to get to the castle but his dad had told him all about the final hurdles to jump before sorting, the last being the boat ride across the lake.

"PARDON ME, PARDON ME, 'SCUSE ME..." he said loudly as he weaved between his new classmates, looking for a boat that wasn't overcrowded yet when his eyes landed on one that was far off to the side, and had a single occupant in it, a girl he had seen at PHP but never approached until now. A quick glance around told him the boats were filling up fast and he figured now was his chance.

"HEY!" he greeted the witch as if she was an old friend, likely starting her. He climbed immediately into the boat, rocking it back and forth rather suddenly and causing the cool water in the lake to splash about the edges of it. "Sorry!" he smiled sheepishly as he steadied himself before plopping down across from the redhead and pushing his curls out of his eyes, the force of him seating himself causing the boat to rock once more. No one ever said he wasn't clumsy (Really. No one said that.)

"I'm Asher. What's your name?" he asked @Cosette Mercier. "Are you excited? What house do you think you'll get? You reckon they'll have pecan pie tonight? It is supposed to be a feast, after all." he chattered away, oblivious to his new acquaintance's comfort levels.

Cosette Mercier

She was hoping that she was going to be alone, but she was able to feel the boat move a bit, and this was before they were even on the water, well the boat was in the water, but it wasn’t heading towards the castle yet at all. And the person, who said that their name was Asher, wouldn’t stop talking. Cosette didn’t understand how someone was able to talk so much. Because Cosette wasn’t someone that was able to talk that much or that fast.

Taking a breath. She looked up, and saw who it was, someone that was at PHP with her, but she was always in the back that she didn’t have a clue who they were at all. Cosette didn’t know anyone that was in her year, and she wanted to keep it that way.

But she did promise her mother that she would try and make friends, but that would mean she has to talk to someone, and this person, Asher. That was his name, she needed to remember. “Um… hi….” She said in her soft, low voice. “Cosette…” That was all that she said, she was trying to think of an answer to the other questions but she didn’t understand the house thing. And pie? Why was he talking about food.

This was going to be a very interesting boat ride. Cosette wished she knew how to talk to someone, some people. She was just shy and didn’t understand how some people were able to just talk and talk. She could barley talking loud.

Rían O' Donnell

Rían eyed @Avery Potter suspiciously. "Tradition isn't always good.." He continued to scowl, watching the water as they now began to skim it. HE was tempted to stick his fingers in and trace it as he normally did back home but then decided against it. There was probably something weird in the water and he didn't want to risk losing his fingers just yet. 

"I don't belong here. I just want to be normal and go home." He shrugged nonchalantly "I'm going to give it a year to learn the control I need to not kill my family. That should do it"

Jane Wayne

Boat #4.

Jane found herself in a boat with Aiden, who after the squirrel incident seemed to watch her as if she might do a trick at any moment, and Alvis, the boy from the portkey incident with no sense of self-preservation.

Jane offered a restrained smile to Aiden as she approached.

Alvis was turned, looking at something in the water as Jane stepped into the boat and sat carefully, spine straight and hands folded in her lap.

This boat was not structurally sound. Jane's eyes were wide as the tiny wooden boat moved easily with the very small waves. What if the waves got bigger? 

Alvis stood abruptly and pointed to where he'd been looking and shook the boat mightily. Jane's hands shot to both sides of the boat and she held on with a deathgrip, knuckles turning white. Alvis sat carefully. Maybe he did have a sense of self-preservation?

This boat was not not structurally sound. She was going to drown. Or be eaten by some creature in the lake. Jane tried to take slow, deep breaths to avoid hyperventilation as she held on.

Edited by Jane Wayne

Aiden Hunter

Aiden looked into the depths of the lake, he couldn't believe that Alvis had shot up like he did. "I don't think I see anything Alvis." It was so dark that he couldn't really tell. He didn't doubt that there were some potentially nasty things living in the depths of the lake. It couldn't be anything too dangerous though, right? I mean they were just coming into school, they wouldn't put them in any real danger...right?

Aiden looked over at Jane. She was a bit of an odd girl but she seemed okay. "Don't like the water huh? Not gonna say I blame you. We can't be in any real danger though." He hoped they weren't anyways.

Ivan Drogon

Last seat on Boat 4!

The train ride was rather uneventful for Ivan. He did, however, get to enjoy it with his friend Jane, who was a really good listener. Ivan knew he could get a bit excited; at least that's what his mother told him. Most children would be scared by the rickety old boats, and going across to this dark, looming castle, across waters full of terrifying monsters on them...but not Ivan.  In fact, the danger sort of made him a bit more excited about the whole affair! As he looked across the boats to see if he could find anywhere to sit, he locked eyes with his friend Jane.

She jumped; she was obviously excited to see him. So he would not deprive her of his presence. She then quickly looked away, she must be looking for a place for him to sit. That was very kind of her. He then stomped his way toward the boat.

He plopped himself down next to his friend. He was a bit invasive on her personal space, but he was sure she wouldn't mind. As he plopped down, the boat rocked heavily from his weight, splashing on them both. He then noticed the other two boys in the boat.

"HELLO FRIENDS! Are we all ready to become sorted or what-not?" He said excitedly, with wide exaggerated gestures that rocked the boat more. Ivan pointed at Alvis. "YOU ARE THE BOOK BOY! You let Ivan read with you!" he said happily. He looked at the other boy. "I do not know you, other boy. I am Ivan, and this is cowboy Jane!" he said, gesturing to his friend shivering next to him. She must be cold.

Alvis Anderson

''Sorry me boy! Got a bit excited there, I don't think these boats should take to much of beating as they look on their last legs! '' he said apologetically to his good friend who seemed a little worse for wear, this didn't seem like good old Aiden and Alvis put two and two together.

By now another seat had been taken up by a pretty blond girl Alvis only just remembered by site but she too seemed a little shaken by the boats movements, ''Howdy doodley do! Sorry, I wont do that again. I thought.......'' Splash He was just about to try and comfort both of his fellow peers but something or someone had just rocked the boat far worse then he had when he had bolted upright.

It turned out to be the boy who had nestled (Is that the right word?) himself next to Alvis to read the book he was reading. He clearly didn't remember Alvis' name as he called him book boy? Then he went on to call the girl Cowboy Jane? Also he was talking in third person once again and sounded very odd to Alvis. The only time they had talked Alvis brushed it off but talking like that in a group situation wasn't a good idea.

''Howdy doodley do! The name is Alvis, not book boy! I just happened to be reading when we met. I do like to read but I'm more of an explorer then a book worm. Just remember you are always responsible for how you act and what you say, no mater how you feel.'' He said in his dreamy far off look but soon continued with a rather force full furrow in his brow, ''You do know Jane is a girl right? Cowboys are generally male, maybe Cowgirl Jane is better, Also nicknames are not really good to use when introductions are being made, especially if your introducing someone else.'' 

Jane Wayne

Jane found Aiden's confidence more comforting than she expected.

"I don't think I do," she answered quietly. "You're probably right." She conceded. "Thank you, Aiden," she remembered to say. She had finally gotten her breathing under control when she saw her hulking friend scanning the boats.

Ivan was very large. If Alvis standing shook the boat that much, would Ivan sink them? Before she could decide what to do, his eyes met hers and he smiled widely.

Jane's eyes widened comically at this and her whole body twitched in fear. She turned away quickly, pretending not to see him.

As he crashed toward them, she remembered the magic crocodiles. She  wondered if they would eat him first because he was larger, giving the Texan and her two classmates time to escape.

She was right. He dropped into the boat like a boulder, sitting almost on top of the small girl. All the air left her as the boat shook roughly and cold water splashed across Jane's face, soaking her blonde hair instantly.

She clutched the side of the boat desperately as the boat stabilized and Ivan's booming voice addressed Aiden and Alvis. She tried to stop shivering, blowing some damp hair away from her eyes. Fear? Cold? She didn't know, but she hoped it would be over soon. At least her friend Ivan was warm.

The way Alvis responded to Ivan caused Jane to look over at the boy thankfully. She was now sure she had misjudged him before. He was concerned with propriety and with her comfort. He was, as he said, simply an explorer. It was not often people were exactly as they said they were.

"It is nice to officially meet you, Alvis," she drawled, offering a smile.

Kay Wickham

When Francis said he couldn't carry her, Kay looked his way and nodded in understanding. These were the facts of the universe they lived in—her friend Cissy had delicate flower stems for arms while she was a heavy load of PURE CONDENSED MUSCLE.

She wiggled her socked feet once more before tucking them under her butt, and joined her friends in watching the view. The castle really did look like something out of a storybook, and it was somewhat baffling to think that they'd be spending every day here until the Christmas holidays. It seemed like an extended sleepover, except they'd be learning how to cast spells and make potions and do all these things that couldn't be done in the real world. That made it seem less like the awake part of the sleepover and more like the sleep-and-dreaming part.

Kay slipped a hand up under her sleeve to pinch her forearm hard, just in case.

The boat rocked gently beneath them as it sailed itself forward, Francis spoke in soft tones about the merfolk's squid king, and the castle was still there—all real.

Her hand sought out Robin's nearby for just a moment, giving it a quick, grounding squeeze in the quiet. He said that the Slytherins get a window out into the water of the lake, and she wasn't sure that was fair, until she realized that might be the only worthy trade-off for never getting any real sunlight.

The proposal to map out the huge castle first-off was a good one, and Kay grinned with an over-enthusiastic (or appropriately-enthusiastic-enough-for-her) nod. “That's smart,” she said. “We can't really plan other missions without knowing where we're going, anyway.”

She turned towards Francis and shifted in her seat to poke his ankle with a shoeless foot. “We can all get lost together on purpose until we've got the place mapped and memorized. It'll be breezy-peezy-easy as pie,” she assured him.

Little did she know the staircases were rearranging themselves for fun at that very moment.

Maggie mac Ruaidhri

((OOC:  Not picking any particular boat))

She'd been so distracted by everything going on, that Maggie hadn't realized people were already getting into boats until most of them were already full. More than half of her classmates had already left the shores headed towards the castle before she scrambled into a boat, barely sitting down before it drifted out. 

Taking a moment to let out her breath, she looked up and smiled at the boat's other occupants. "Just barely made it! Hi, I'm Maggie."