John Lupin

So it's gonna be forever or it's gonna go down in flames

John Lupin

As soon as the game was over, John flew down on his snake costume to hover by Inara on the ground. 

"YOU DID SO GREAT!" John said, thrilled. He honestly had no idea who won (he just knew the game was over), and technically he really wasn't allowed to care anyway--if he did, he'd be picking sides, and in a game of Slytherin vs Girlfriend's Team, there was no winning if he picked sides. Only idiots picked sides, and John Lupin was no fool.

He beamed at her, sweating through the costume. "Did you see my sign? You kept being busy during the same so I don't know if you saw it." He flipped his sign over to show her the back:

GO INARA KENNEDY! I LOVE YOU!

Inara Kennedy

They had done it. They’d won. Inara couldn’t believe it. She had known they had a good chance but since they had won the last Quidditch Cup, she hadn’t wanted to get her hopes up or get cocky about it. But she was elated! “Yes!” she said, pumping her fist into the air. She went and hugged all of her teammates (even @Linus Paddock, even though it was brief and not a full hug).

And then John was there. She had missed seeing him all game so the realization that he had been there made her so happy. “Thank you!” she said, looking at the sign. She would have to get her hands on it so she could keep it. “You’re the best boyfriend.” She leaned over to kiss him and then said, “Even if you’re in a snake costume.” She was teasing, of course. She knew that he supported his house’s team and her.

John Lupin

Conveniently, John didn't show Inara the other side of the poster. Pro-Slytherin sentiment probably wouldn't be appreciated in her dorm.

Still, Inara leaned over to kiss him, and called him the best boyfriend, and John's heart leapt out of his ribcage. "The best boyfriend?" he said, slowly. "Really?" 

He eyed Trish and Abby out of the corner of his eye, thrilled in their pre-marital bliss. They were in love, they were young, they were happy. And if you were in love, wasn't that the right thing to do? 

He flushed with excitement, picturing it all in his head: he and Inara coming home, to a place that was all their own; he and Inara caring for a flock of kids that were half-him, half-her; him taking the kids to go visit Mum at her vet practise; him as a Professional Mascot for some random Quidditch team and their kids all in little bitty mascot costumes and Inara waving whatever team's flag in the stands. 

He wanted it, and he wanted her, and he leapt off his broom and got down on one knee in a moment of madness.

Inara Kennedy

Of course she thought he was the best boyfriend. He was loving, kind, got along with her friends. What more could she want? John was what she had been waiting for in a man and she was glad that she’d found it. She thought she was lucky to have gotten it so young, too. She knew that not everything was going to last in her life but she had a feeling she and John would. Or maybe she was simply hoping. She would go with it.

John’s broom clattered to the ground and she looked down. “Do you need to tie your shoe?” she asked him. She had her own broom in one hand and was using it like a walking stick. Or a stake if she saw @Kirk Lawson around by chance. She shrugged to herself and waited for John to be done so that they could hold hands and chat about the game. Or anything. She didn’t care what they talked about as long as they were together.

John Lupin

John looked down at his feet. He in a snake costume that covered his feet; he wasn't wearing shoes.

He laughed.

He was delirious, sure, but wasn't this what being in love was about? Taking all the positive energy and passing it along? 

John took his wand out of the pocket in his snake costume that he'd made Kirk sew in for him, then pointed it at a few pieces of nearby grass. The grass twirled in the air and fashioned itself into a small circle, and John let go of his broom. He held the grass circle in one hand, grabbed Inara's hand with the other.

"I know it's crazy," he said, "but I've never been more sure of anything in my life." 

He offered the grass ring to her.

"Inara, I don't have a speech, and I don't have anything to offer you but myself. But would you-- would you marry me?"

Inara Kennedy

Everything stopped. Or at least it felt like that to Inara. She hadn’t looked at John’s feet so she’d assumed he had been wearing shoes. But he apparently was not. He was not trying to tie shoes. He was proposing. Her eyes widened in shock and she sucked a breath in but didn’t breathe out. She was sure her face was turning bright red, as it always did.

Somehow, she didn’t care. A smile broke across her face and she nodded, shaking her hand in his so that he knew to put the grass ring on her finger. Luckily she was not the type of girl to care about a fancy object like a diamond ring. All she wanted was John and now she had him. Hopefully forever. No, it would be forever. They were engaged now.

“I love you,” she said once the ring was on her finger. She pulled him up so that they could kiss. She felt content, like everything was finally going right in her life. She had won the Quidditch Cup with her team, she was doing well in her subjects so she could get the career she wanted, and now she was engaged. Everything was perfect.

John Lupin

They were so cliche, it was gross. John didn't care.

"I love you too," John murmured against Inara's cheek. They were far enough off to the side of the pitch that everyone else was still focused on Trish and Abby, and that was just fine. He wanted to go tell the world, to shout it from the rooftops, but he couldn't yet, right? Not really. Otherwise he'd be taking away from Trish and Abby, who so rightfully deserved this moment, to be free and to be happy and to be in love.

"Let's keep it to ourselves for now," he told Inara, breaking their kiss at long last against his better judgement. "We can tell everyone next week after all the excitement about Abby and Trish melts down." 

He spotted Kirk over by himself for a moment, though, and thought better of it.

"Or we can tell Kirk now. Come on, let's go." 

He sped off toward Kirk, dragging Inara over to him. 

Inara Kennedy

Inara was so happy. She didn’t mind that they were keeping it to themselves for now. She didn’t want to take away from the other engagement and she also didn’t want anyone telling her she was too young, it was going too quickly, that she was making a mistake. She knew that she wasn’t making a mistake. She felt like everything was falling into place so how could it be wrong?

“Okay,” she said, her smile bright. She was glad when her hand slipped into John’s and they were moving. Until she noticed where they were going. A bit of rage started to seep back into her and she tried to make it go away. She didn’t want to ruin this moment. She couldn’t ruin it. Everything was perfect!

But there was Kirk and she couldn’t help it. “Don’t ever threaten my brother again. In fact, don’t threaten anyone in my family or circle of friends.” She then shut her mouth and looked at John out of the corner of her eye. “Oh also we’re engaged.” Because she might as well take them on a roller coaster ride. Why did Kirk ruin everything today?

Kirk Lawson

"I'll threaten him all I like on the pitch," Kirk said, stretching his arms over his head with his bat. He'd ended up covering most of the pitch somehow and his arms ached from it in the satisfying way they did after a hard work out. His neck cracked a little and he lowered his arms, turning to give his costume-clad friend a look of amusement before turning back to Kennedy. "I'm a goddamn beater, Kennedy. If he can't handle smack talk or bludgers then it's your job or your captain's to teach him how to keep his cool. He's no good playing with a bat if he's flying off the pitch to harass the commentators." He shouldn't have to lecture the other team on how to play quidditch, especially after losing to them, but here they were. The younger Kennedy's bludgers had been weak. He clearly needed more practice with a bat before taking to the pitch with one if he couldn't focus long enough to knock someone off their broom. 

Kirk looked between Kennedy's and John's hands, still held together as Kennedy announced they were engaged. "Gross," he told John, though the word was said with more fondness than disgust. It was just like John to get too wrapped up in the moment and make an impulsive decision like a proposal. Then he gestured to Kennedy's hand. "Let's see it."

He'd used... grass. He didn't know if he ought to laugh or not. This, too, was very John. He was sure that it had been an impulse proposal then, but it was a good ring for John to propose with, considering how he was with plants. "You should keep it like this," he said seriously, a hint of a smile on his face as he looked down at the grass ring on Kennedy's finger, "I'm not great with plants, but I'm sure Reid can fix you up with a spell to preserve it. A few durability charms, maybe. Don't ask Reid for those, I can do them. He's crap with charms." 

He held his hand out to Kennedy. "Congrats," he added, though it wasn't clear if he meant about the game, the proposal, or both.

Reid J. Fauchelevent

John had and his snake costume has disappeared over the railing as soon as the game was over (on a broom - where had he been hiding that?). Reid, however, was left old-fashioned means of descent, and thudded down the stairs two at a time, pivoting around each flight and feeling like the whole thing was going to come down on his head. 

It should be mentioned that Reid did consider vaulting over the railing (superhero landing?), but Kirk was likely in a Mood having lost the game and would have been in more of a Mood if Reid managed to break something.

When Reid at least burst from the Slytherin stands, it took some doing to find his friend, and by the time he wound through the crowds and Quidditch players (sometimes it paid to be tall and Dorito-shaped - Example A: seeing over crowds; sometimes it didn't - Example B: trying to get through those crowds), John was holding hands with his his Gryffingirlfriend and Kirk was checking out Inara's hand, as though looking at at a--- 

When Reid put two and two together - O.mi.god -  his mouth warred to shape a smile and an 'O' of surprise. "I'm nae tha' crap with charms," he said, walking over to Kirk's side and looming over Inara's hand as well. "I'm good at th'ones I care about," he glanced at Kirk and the little smile that was all the more wonderful for how rare and his own it was. It softened him. Reid stared a little longer, grinned when he got caught out, and dart-ducked forward with a long, humming kiss on Kirk's temple. "S'very Quidditchy," Reid observed, nodding at the ring, but wrapping one arm around Kirk's shoulders and tugging him closer. "Grass from the Pitch - ye romantic lad, ye." Reaching over, Reid ruffled John's hair. He considered leaping at John and enveloping him in a hug, but two things stopped him:

One was Inara, who, filled with the game's adrenaline could probably crack him a new one for cracking a few of John's. Two was that Kirk's hand had curled in the back of Reid's shirt, keeping him close. Reid'll contended himself with asking, "When's the big day? I kin a place tha'll do ye a fantastic cake."

Edited by Reid J. Fauchelevent

John Lupin

John smiled broadly as he saw the hint of happiness spread across Kirk's lips. That sort of thing almost never happened, and his voice seemed more quasi-approving than generally disappointed, which said something about John's life choices. Kirk was pleased. John, then, was pleased, too.

Also because girl of his dreams, pls. 

Or, even better: girl of his reality.

John beamed brightly beneath Reid's hair-ruffle. Inara's hand felt warm in his own until she'd left to threaten Kirk, but John grabbed it back when she was done. "If my future wife is quite done harassing my best friends, now, I'd like to ask them to be my ushers." 

Was he meant to get down on one knee for them, too? He settled for a well-practised puppy-dog face instead. 

"If you say yes, maybe we'll take Reid up on that cake." 

We'll. For once, he wasn't referring to Reid and Kirk; he was referring to himself and Inara. They were going to be a family, together forever, or at least in howeverlong they got married.

Married. Married! It seemed fantastic, to get to spend all of his time with Inara. They'd have their own space, they'd get to be alone together, they'd have a family, and they'd love each other no matter what. And with Inara, there really wasn't anything bad about her. Not that John could see. Other people kept telling him that there were going to be bad days, but they'd been together almost nine months and they hadn't had a single bad day, so those other people were just idiots. If you had a bad relationship, you split up. If you had a good one, you stayed together. 

It was that simple.

Inara Kennedy

She’d never had anything against Kirk before today and honestly, she didn’t want to dislike him. She knew that he was one of John’s best friends and since she didn’t actually know him that well, she wanted to give him a chance. But he had threatened Kaleb and that didn’t sit well with her. She loved her brother even if he could be a little devil sometimes. She hated that she was getting pulled into all of Kaleb’s issues but she felt the need to protect him. Maybe he’d learn his lesson when she wasn’t around to stand up for him anymore.

“As long as it stays related to Quidditch, fine. I know he can be a brat but he doesn’t deserve to be beaten up. I’m going to tell him to cut it out anyway.” Then she smiled because Kirk seemed genuinely happy for her and John. She held her hand out for Kirk to look and admired her ring again herself. It was perfect.

She nodded at Kirk’s suggestions. Admittedly, she had already been thinking about what to do to keep her ring perfect. She would take any suggestion to make sure that it lasted forever. Reid appeared and Inara gave him a smile as well. She moved her hand so he could look at the ring too.

And when Kirk held his hand out to shake, she took it gladly. “Thank you.” She meant it and she was glad that they hadn’t ended up fighting about Kaleb for real. Her brother had already gotten her into trouble several times today. Enough was enough.

Reid posed an interesting question and Inara wasn’t sure how to answer it. Thankfully, John was ready and she agreed with everything he said. That was probably why they worked so well together. Soon they’d probably start finishing each other’s sentences. Actually, maybe not. That would freak her out. But she was glad that John was already thinking about their wedding. She would have to find @Kaelyn Paddock and ask her best friend to be her maid of honor.

Kirk Lawson

Reid looked delighted at the prospect of helping out with John's wedding. Kirk, on the other hand, made a face. 

He might have gotten away with not having to buy a suit for Goodfellow and Whitehorn's wedding, claiming that his quidditch gear was the most formal thing he could wear to their wedding. Or he could say he wore it in honor  of Whitehorn's proposal setting or something. But he couldn't do that for two weddings. He'd have to go shopping. Ugh. 

Kirk doubted Reid would be bothered by this development. He'd just wear a kilt like he did to any event he could get away with one. "Do I have to wear a suit," he started to ask, only to have Reid turn towards him, looking positively gleeful. He elbowed him in the ribs, but that didn't stop his boyfriend from wrapping him up in a hug. And then, in case John needed an actual verbal confirmation, he added, tiredly, "Sure. Fine. Are you crashing the slytherin post-quidditch party, or are you going off to celebrate on your own?" 

This last part he said to Kennedy, as John was normally part of the fiasco that the Slytherin locker room would soon become as the team vented their feelings and celebrated the end of another year of listening to Kirk. It was cathartic, Goodfellow had told him once. As far as Kirk was concerned, it was a big mess he'd be stuck cleaning up.

Reid J. Fauchelevent

"Ye can put John in his snakey costume," Reid chattered, gesturing to the real deal, "an' Inara in 'er game gear as th'cake toppers ter memorialize this moment right 'ere." His hazel eyes shone with excitement as they darted from one one to the other. He might even be able to get them the cake for cheaper with Employee Benefits.

Reid buzzed with delight, felt the literal tingle of energy in his limbs, one of which he still had around Kirk. Maybe it was the fact that his friend had successfully pulled off an engagement while dressed as a giant rainbow snake. Maybe it was the beginning of summer, compounded by the engagement. Maybe it was that he and Kirk were standing so close in the sum of the other two possibilities. 

Likely, it was all three, in various degrees of percentages.

"O'course she's comin'," Reid made a lazy beckoning gesture in Inara's direction. "The lads an' lasses in green an' silver throw the best afterparties." Reid would know - he'd been inviting himself to them before it became logical for him to just be a permanent fixture. "Johnny-boy can go an' celebrate with Gryffindor after Slytherin's given'im a proper send-off, aye?"

He glanced from John to Kirk - or more like, the top of Kirk's sweaty hair.

"I need a shower," Kirk grumbled, as though he sensed it. "And peppermint toads. Redgrave's going to give me hell during the annual roast, let me at least rinse off before she starts slinging crap."

"I can get ye somethin' sweeter'n tha' Kirky - let's go an' make ye feel better," Reid beamed, letting his arm slip from his boyfriend's shoulder to tangle fingers with his hand instead. "We're gettin' a head start!" he called, stabbing his chin at the sky and letting his voice arc over his head and land somewhere around John and Inara. Then, with a kiss to Kirk's stubbly jaw, he marched the both of them to the lockerrooms. 

John Lupin

Reid was already decorating the cake in his mind, and John loved him for that.

He grinned broadly and held his arms out to the both of them.

"You both are getting hugged right now."

John squeezed his arms around the both of them as tightly as he could, floating on air. When he was in that hug, he had Reid and Kirk. When he released them from it, he had Inara. Everywhere he went, there was someone who loved him, people who might give him crap but who would never want him to leave them alone (except for Kirk, but the fact that Kirk generally acknowledged his presence and tolerated his plants meant that Kirk actually loved him). He was safe with them, supported by them, and nothing could change that.

"We'll catch up with you lot," said John, hanging back as Reid dragged Kirk along behind him to give them space. He interlaced his fingers with Inara's, swinging it easily back and forth between them as they took their time walking back, planting a kiss on Inara's cheek. 

"That is, if you're okay going to the party?"

Inara Kennedy

The boys left and Inara squeezed John’s hand. It was nice that she always had him. If she needed someone, he was there. True, she had Kaelyn, but this was different. And it was better knowing that even if one of them was busy, someone else was still there for her. John was her boyfriend… now fiancé and Kae was her best friend. What more could she want?

As they walked, she basked in the happiness that had come upon them. They had always been happy but it had been multiplied in the last few minutes. She was having the best day of her life. Gryffindor had won the Quidditch Cup and now she was engaged! It was fantastic and she was nearly giddy with all of the excitement.

She smiled as John kissed her cheek and replied, “We can go to the party. I’ll have to leave for my own team’s soon, though.” She winked at him and they started off again. She hoped that Slytherin would be okay with her crashing their party with John. If not, she’d still be okay.

Because she had him.

End.

Post 800. <3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.