Havana Towne

I'm sorry I forgot to mention, I lied at my very first confession

15 posts in this topic

title from "Calling All Cars" by Senses Fail

Forbidden.

There was just something about the term that just drew someone to the forest. There were definite good reasons for that, but the allure was all the more there. The thirteen-year-old had finally gotten tired of not being one of the students who had ventured into the forest, yet she still had a mild sense of trepidation as she followed her white Turkish angora across the lawn.

The night had fallen quite serenely, but so did the temperature to a just above freezing mark as the dew that had developed on the grass had looked more like a frost than anything else. Owls softly hooting in the brisk air. Cuba, seemingly scurrying after a rodent that he had spotted, all while the forest loomed in the foreground as the castle shrank in the background with each footstep.

Havana had searched around the grounds for an light coming from a wand, lantern, or any other light source that were being used by prefects, professors, and anyone else who could be patrolling the grounds at this time of night. She looked up at the sky, it was clear, starlight, and stunningly beautiful. She hadn’t had the chance to see the constellations this clear when she was back home in St Albans, and they were quite breathtaking.

In the distance, she heard a meow as she looked to see Cuba dart into the forest, and at least now she had a reason to enter the forest.

Edited by Havana Towne
unnecessary comma

Climbing trees was something that River did often, but ever since his enrollment to Hogwarts, River stopped one of his favourite past times.  

Of course, however, during his first year at the castle, the now teenager discovered he could see a more rare creature.  “I know you’re out there...”  The boy hummed to himself standing on top of one of the taller trees covering his face from the setting sun, it seemed that River had become rather obsessed with Thestrals since he first saw them with his best friend Ryan.  On the other hand, time had gotten the better of him as he looked to sky and realized a stary night was now gazing back at him.

Slowly descending the tree, River made great time, of course, with it being after curfew, it didn’t really matter.  Reaching the ground, or rather falling from a safe distance to the ground the Ravenclaw grunted as he had heard a rustling in the nearby bush.

”Hello?”  The boy spoke in a frightened tone as he could see movement.  He knew other creatures had roamed the forest but outside of his current obsession, he hadn’t really payed too close attention to them.

As the rustling became more loud, River grabbed and gripped his wand from its holster as a small shake began to move through his whole body.  “Oh gosh, River, this is it...  This is the danger @Headmaster Gawkrodger warned you about!”  Just as he was about to cast his spell, the creature popped from the bush with it’s prey in it’s mouth.  

In that instant all of River’s fears melted as he soon realized what had caused him to be so scared.

”KITTY!”

Yup, He was a true Ravenclaw.

It was cold. Juan kept shivering in the blankets he’d tugged into the common room in an effort to try and stay warm. He hadn’t even realised when he’d fallen asleep over his arithmancy homework until he’d heard shuffling in the common room. Towne. Where was she going at this hour?

Juan, being the Good Boy he always was, wasn’t about to let Towne lose points for Slytherin if she was planning on going out and breaking curfew. But try as he might to catch up, he also wanted to see what she had planned. It had been a while since he’d heard any trouble from the girl, and he wanted to know if her intentions were really just… boring. Something exciting would’ve been welcome.

So when she walked out of the castle and into the grounds, Juan had followed in the shadows. He wasn’t about to let Towne have all the fun, after all. Towards the forest. Was she headed to the… Crap, WHYYYYYY?

Juan hurried in the shadows, pushing past the brush. Thankfully the cat she had was far more excited to wander forward than to detect the presence of an intruder. He held his wand out. If he needed to, he’d just repel the cat away.

But as he followed Towne deeper into the forest, shivering all the while, he noted she wasn’t doing anything… noteworthy. Other than being in the forest, she was literally just… walking. And looking up at the sky.

“KITTY!”

Juan screamed, wand out as he immediately sent a blinding hex in the direction of the voice. He had not expected to hear anyone other than Havana because, really, why would anyone else be out at this hour?!

“HAVANA, GET BEHIND ME!” he yelled, unable to see in the dark.

She had entered the forest as she watched Cuba saunter after a rodent. The rodent she may or may not have stolen from Knaggs’s classroom when she went running out the door a few weeks ago. She had definitely tried to keep it as a pet, but she had known all along that this would happen. Cuba would eventually find out where she was keeping the rodent, and then start chasing it. What better way to speed up this process by setting the rodent and her cat out at the same time?

Whatever moonlight there had been when they had approached the edge of the forest had dissipated into solid darkness after the first three steps. The forest was a mysterious mistress and had seemingly claimed many students in the past, and there had definitely been many rumours. Some of the missing students according to theories that were tossed about loosely around the house tables during meals were that they were still wandering around aimlessly trying to crawl their way back to the civilization that was known as the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Havana didn't necessarily buy that as a plausible excuse, but the sudden and pitch black darkness had caused what felt like there was a solid ten-degree drop in temperature. One contributor to that would've probably been the lack of direct natural light, moonlight or otherwise, into the forest from the canopy. She had been following the path of Cuba, or at least the path that she had been able to make out as soon as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.

Traipsing through the trampled bushes and vines that Cuba had seemed to go through before suddenly she had heard a noise. It sounded like someone had just screamed kitty really loudly and at night in the forest. It was quickly followed by a familiar voice, and she turned around to see Juan just inches behind her in the forest, or at least what she thought was Juan.

"Juan, why are you out here? Who was that?"

This was his cat now, yup, 100%   It didn’t matter if the cat had an owner, and especially now that he had found it, the cat’s eyes connected with his and the now teenager instantly knew they were bros.

Slowly approaching the cat whether it be wild or tame, River had a name already placed in his mind!  As the cat allowed the second year to pick him up, River held the animal in what little light there was and spoke it’s new name.

”Your name is Estaban Julio Ricardo Montoya De La Rosa Ramirez!”

Giving the cat a smile and a few giggles as they escaped his chest, a flash of light unexpectedly attacked the Ravenclaw which caused River to drop Estaban, which only led to the cat’s claws to be dug deep into his face.

”AH!  ESTABAN!  WHY?!?”

As a small struggle between the two quickly ensued, he finally managed to release his new cat from his face.  Which at the time, the muggleborn child didn’t realize the loss of eyesight until he had tried to looked around.  But even then he had just thought that his lack of vision was due to Estaban.  

Stumbling around the forest with Estaban tucked under his arm, the second year could hear voices not to far from him.  “Hello?”  He called out attempting to walk to the voices 

Why was he out here? He couldn’t very well admit he’d followed Towne with the intention of discovering what kind of evil atrocities she was about to commit. Juan chuckled awkwardly and tried to reach over to her, his hand finding her waist as he did his best to push her behind him. And then he heard another voice. Esteban? Oh no… Had he harmed another student?

Two students… by the sound of it. Juan reached down and grabbed Havana’s wrist, suddenly terrified of the amount of trouble he’d be in if it got out that he had both been in the Forbidden Forest and had attacked another student. But what if it wasn’t a student? Juan’s breath hitched in his throat and he tried to control himself. He wasn’t going to get in trouble for self-defence. He might get in trouble for knowingly going into the forest.

Oh wait… He was holding Havana’s wrist. He immediately retracted his hand and focused on the area from which the voice had come. Juan squinted, wondering if he could use a wand-lighting charm, or if that would be literal idiocy and would bring the other person towards them. There was still the possibility that they weren’t students…

He turned to Havana, “Were you planning on meeting other people here?” The idea suddenly occurred to him that maybe Havana had been planning on sneaking evil people into the castle, like in the battle of Hogwarts. SEE?! He HAD been paying attention in class!

And then he heard rustling, and a small “Hello?” Juan rolled his wand in his hand, “I followed you. Figured you were up to no good, Towne. Can’t have you losing Slytherin points; we’re already dead last.”

And now if people found them in the forest, he’d be involved. Crap, he should’ve thought this through more. And finally, steeling his voice as best as he could, “Who’s there?!”

Was Juan holding her wrist? 

She didn't exactly know what his plan was, but they had heard what sounded like the same voice scream something. Havana paused for a second as it sounded like a really long name. She hoped that whoever that was was not trying to rename Cuba to some monstrosity, and judging by the sounds of whatever was going on over there; Cuba was having nothing of it. Cuba was a smart cat, and he definitely wouldn't let someone call him something as asinine as whatever that was. It sounded like the name of an obscure butler from a muggle television show, but she couldn't care less about that at the moment because Cuba was a smart cat and he would find his way back to the common room.

The next thing she knew Juan had released her wrist and then accused her of trying to meet someone out here in the woods and sneak them into Hogwarts. Did she really look that influential or that ingenious? As a matter of fact, what exactly did Juan think this plan would involve? Did he really think that she would sneak out at night, search for someone in the forest that would probably not be trusted? That just seemed really dumb and honestly, Juan definitely had more sense than that.

"Oh, I am? So, what is my big plan in the middle of April? A massive April Fool's joke that'd fall on deaf ears because it's not April first? What kind of plan would it be to not check to see if I was being followed? Honestly, Juanito, you're a fool."

She just used a nickname that she had heard from other members of the Quidditch team, that she would've probably never use ever again. She sighed as Juan had decided to ask whoever that was in the darkness who they were.

See, Garcia was indeed a fool.

"You idiot, what if that voice was a Death Eater's?"

Unlikely, but you never know.

Edited by Havana Towne
...spacing lmao

Even though the Ravenclaw new he was in the somewhat safety of the forest that boarded the egde of the school, he still knew creatures roamed the tree line either it be magical or not. 

Then thats when it hit him, what if these voices were people who were bad?  They sent in Estaban, then try to blind him and then use a false sense of security to lure him 

Into their trap!  Well, a River can flow in two directions and he wasn’t about to go down without a fight! 

Grabbing his wand back from his pocket as Estaban squirmed to release himself, River chose a spell that he had not yet quite mastered.  Which, in his case was probably for the best as some crazy mishap always quickly ensued.  Pointed his wand where he had heard where the voices had come from and quickly cleared his mind, the Ravenclaw spoke his incantation for the lightning Hex and ran.

“Ha!  Try and catch me now!”  He attempted to say before running straight into a tree.

What was her big plan… in the middle of April? “The Battle of Hogwarts was in April,” he cited incorrectly. Sometimes he paid attention, other times he didn’t. “And I’m pretty sure you were looking to see if you were followed. I’m just that amazing that you didn’t even hear or see me. Honestly, Towne, it’s like you don’t even know me.”

Juanito. “I’m sorry, is your name Magdalena Maria de los Santos de Marron? No? You mean you’re NOT my grandmother?” Juan hiss-whispered, “So don’t ever flacking call me that again. Or I’ll throw you to the death eater.”

But honestly, Havana was overreacting. Apparently, Juan had met Death Eaters before. All they’d really done was hurt his leg and give Cece a concussion. Oh and someone had died in the castle, but he had never really paid that much thought. It seemed like wizards died of the weirdest things. Or that too many bad things happened. Not to Juan, though. He was chillin’.

“Havana, if it WAS a death eater, there’d be more than one. They travel in packs. Like girls,” he informed her quietly, while stepping through the brush. And then… lightning.

The immediate flash of light sent Juan’s instincts into overdrive. Had it been before he started duelling, his instinct would’ve told him it was a camera flash, and that he should smile. After duelling, however, his wand was immediately brought up and the spell was blocked.

He winced. That had taken out quite a bit of him. A quick glance over at Havana, “You alright?”

Was that… a thump he’d heard? Juan immediately reached for Havana’s wrist again. He didn’t need her to run or fumble or make more noise. And… If he was honest, he kinda needed someone to keep him grounded too.

Try and… catch? “That definitely doesn’t sound like a death eater,” he noted, very observantly. What kinda death eater would taunt the way a child would? Didn’t seem logical… “Who are you?” he yelled out. Because that was obviously the way to discern whether someone was dangerous or not.

The Battle of Hogwarts was in April?

That's it Juan was a daft idiot, and she would definitely have to call him out on that. She may not have liked the curriculum that was being taught in the History of Magic class, but at least she paid attention enough to know that the battle took place the beginning of the very next month. It was something that she had definitely found interesting as it would've coincided with her grandfather being alive and going to school during it and not to mention her birthday every year was nineteen days after the anniversary of the battle.

"The Battle of Hogwarts was in May, Garcia," she rolled her eyes, "I know because my grandfather was going to school her when it happened. He mentioned it to me once or twice when I was visiting him in Paris at the French ministry, but that's not important right now."

She again rolled her eyes at the comment that all girls travel in packs before suddenly Juan grabbed her wrist again after blocking what looked to be a lightning hex or at least a really lame attempt at one. Obviously, if this was a Death Eater they sucked at magic and would easily be outmatched by the two of them.

"I'm alright, but I do want to address your all girls travel in packs statement. WE ARE NOT ANIMALS," she growled the last line more than stated it.

Then a really weird taunt of yelling at them to catch them if they can before Juan again yelled towards the unseen voice a question of who they were.

"Should you really be yelling towards them, Garcia? Are you trying to give our location away and lead us into a trap?"

There probably wasn't a trap, but Havana was sure that the person who belonged to that voice had grabbed her cat, and that wasn't cool.

"I think it might have Cuba."

Things were not looking good for the second year, sure, he found a cat, named it Estaban and now they were bros, but slamming full force into a tree with said cat who mailed him just mere minutes ago was not cool.

losing consciousness as his wand and Estaban fell from his grip, River fell to the ground as he was knocked out cold, not able to reply at all to the question as to who was asking. 

However if he were to be awake, he would have liked to tell Estaban thank you for sticking around and not running off, however, that was his Alder wand‘s doing as he was unaware of the protective barrier it had placed around him.

So instead of replying back to the monstrous creature that were Pershing him, instead he payed there snoozing the night away dreaming about Unircorns and their techno raves.

Oh, was it in May? Juan shrugged off the new information. He didn’t rightly care, but he had just been trying to prove a point. It didn’t matter what time of the year it was. Terrible things could be planned for any time. “Oh wow. Look at you. Name-dropping different countries and ministries. So impressive. I’m literally incapable of talking to you now because I’m in so much awe,” he responded completely monotonously.

Juan jumped over an upturned root, lifting up Havana’s wrist to try and signal to her that there was something on the floor. But he didn’t release her. He didn’t need her ditching him right now as he was about to investigate what else lay in the Forbidden Forest.

Rolling his eyes, a notion Havana would not be able to appreciate since it was dark, regarding the comment about girls, he responded quickly, “I didn’t say you were. Well, not girls. You, I’m not so sure about. But it’s something I’ve seen, aight? My sisters always go together to everything. And girls travel in groups, if that word makes you feel better. Niña mensa.”*

He stopped for a split second when Havana questioned whether he should be yelling at anyone. “Well here’s the thing. They don’t know whether we’re like really strong and old wizards right? For all they know, we might be professors. I sound like a professor,” he said, trying to ignore the fact that while his voice might be somewhat close to what a professor might sound like when they were sick, his vocabulary and demeanour was nowhere near professor-like.

Cuba? Oh… That ball of fluff. “Of course you’d name your damn cat Cuba. Of course you would,” he rolled his eyes, before catching sight of a small lump at the base of a tree.

Juan gasped loudly, wand held out and immediately cast, “Lumos.” The lump… was a person. Juan’s mouth fell open and he stared at the crumpled… student, by the looks of it, the cat right by the body.

“H-Havana?” he managed to whisper. God, what was this? Stand by Me?

*Stupid girl

Havana looked at Juan as he had pulled out his wand and cast a spell illuminating the area, but more importantly the student who was crumpled over by a tree. She looked over at Juan, to the student who at least seemed to be breathing, but she definitely didn't want to check to make sure. She didn't want to have her fingerprints on the student if he had been there a while. If anything bad had happened to him in the case; she was not about to take the blame for what had happened.

She looked at the crumpled over student who looked to have possibly run directly into the tree that he was laying in front of, but there was something else that caught her eye in the light of Juan's wand. A white fluffy ball of fur and a meow came from it, and instantly she recognized the sound to have been coming from her Turkish angora, Cuba. She looked towards Juan as he just seemed frozen staring at the unconscious student, and snapped her fingers and sighed, "Hello? I don't think he's dead. I think he's just unconscious."

She shook her head, "Serves him right though. He took Cuba! See," she pointed at the fluffy ball of white fur near the Ravenclaw's legs. She would definitely have to go get her cat, but then she paused for a second and turned back to the other third year that was with her, "How do you think he got that way? Do you think he was just that stupid and ran into a tree, or do you think he was attacked?"

Little did she know that it was somewhat of both because unbeknownst to the two of them, this boy was the one who Juan cast the blinding hex at. Once they found out about it, surely they would be able to figure it out and apologise and talk their way out of whatever trouble they would probably be in. 

That would be the best outcome.

It wasn't like that River wanted to be unconscious on the floor, besides, it was cold and it just wasn't his style.  Further more, Esteban was now on his chest, kneading his claws into his shirt, which honestly made River feel like this D:   

He didn't like this feeling, but then again his sleeping self didn't really have a measure of self defense.  So continued to sleep he did.  That was of course until voices overcame his unicorn rave and he opened his eyes.

"Ugh, what happened?"

He tried to move but his head was quickly pressed against an invisible force.

"WHAT'S HAPPENING?!?!  I CAN'T SEE, I CAN'T MOOOOVE!?!?   ESSSSTEEEBBAAAAANNN!?!?!?  HAAAAAALP!!!!"

He’d honestly expected Havana to say something in regards to him lighting his wand, but he was pleasantly surprised when she didn’t. But he couldn’t focus too much on that, though, because his mind was racing a mile a minute in regards to the body they’d just found. Would they try to accuse them of having been the culprits? If there was a body here… that meant there were actual dangers out there.

Juan tried his best to slow his breathing enough to hear around them, but stupid Havana kept speaking, drowning out the sounds of the forest with her irritating voice. But sure enough, Havana’s stupid cat was right there. Juan shushed her quickly, aiming his wand this way and that, trying to see if there was anything lurking in the shadows. If the cat wasn’t complaining, whoever had been here, done this, had only just recently left… right? So they HAD to be around here?

“Attacked. Shut up,” he told her, looking around and pushing bushes this way and that to try and get a better glimpse of the surrounding area. His wand the only illuminating point in the darkness of the forest, he could see the shadows cast on the floor, on the trees. It was spooky. Why the hell HAD Havana been out here if not to start up some devious plot?

Having thought it really HAD been a ‘Stand By Me’ scenario, Juan screamed five octaves too high when the boy stirred and questioned what had happened. And even then, the boy himself was screaming too, which quickly brought Juan to silence himself in an effort to understand what was happening. HONESTLY THOUGH WHAT?

Couldn’t see? Juan blinked. Esteban? So he HAD been out here with someone? Wand pointed at the kid, a vaguely familiar face, he hesitated before continuing with his interrogation, “What were you doing out here? You’ll get your eyesight back when you tell me and… Miss… Rutherford… why you were out here. As Aurors, we have a right to know.”

Don’t slip up. Don’t slip up. He shot a pointed glance at Havana, urging her to play along. She wanted to get her stupid cat back, no?