Sign in to follow this  
Mercutio Bates

I wanna see the world with your hand in mine.

Mercutio Bates

With the weather warming up, it was becoming more and more apparent how close the looming graduation was getting to the pair of Seventh Years. Just one more quidditch game until it was all over. Just a wall of NEWTs in his way of a great graduation. Just a few more months until he'd say goodbye to Hogwarts and hello to W.A.D.A. 

Honestly, as much as he loved Hogwarts, he couldn't wait to start studying something that was relevant to his future. He'd already secretly dropped several classes this year. He'd deal with the enraged conversation with his mother later, but there would be hardly anything that could be fixed once he'd graduated. It was a brilliant plan. 

What was still uncertain, however, was what he and Desmond had planned for the two of them after graduation. And with his busy schedule, they hadn't had much time to talk about it. "What do you think about the countryside?" Mercutio casually mentioned one warm, free afternoon. He was laying down with his head on Desmond's lap and the two were enjoying some rare time alone together under the shade of a tree.

Post 2999 <3

Desmond Tonks

Seventh year was moving at such a rapid pace that Desmond was both exhilarated and anxious. On one hand, he couldn’t wait to get his business started outside of school. On the other, it was scary to lose the security he gained in Hogwarts. Taking time off with Mercutio was just what the surly teen needed to regain a little bit of that energy he lost thanks to stress. It wouldn’t solve the problem, but it helped to some degree.

“Hmm?” Desmond made a sound in reply on instinct. He had checked out so hard that it took him more than a dozen seconds to actually register his boyfriend’s questions. “The countryside…?” He never once gave thought to that. “Well, it’s…quiet and peaceful I guess. Grandfather had a cottage that Mum and I used to visit in the summer. Why do you ask?”

He was curious since the question essentially came out of nowhere. Mercutio could be random at times but… this one seemed to hint at some sort of agenda.   

Mercutio Bates

Eyes closed, enjoying the feel of Desmond's fingers combing gently through his lengthy hair, Mercutio was on the edge of falling asleep. It'd been so long since he'd had time to relax and do nothing. Despite having a pretty active mind and a short attention span, doing nothing felt amazing right now. And doing nothing with Desmond was even better.

But, he let out a small, content sigh and managed a casual, "What if we bought a house there?" as if they were simply conversing about the beautiful day they were having today.

In truth, they probably didn't have the funds to buy a house without a generous loan from his mother. W.A.D.A. wasn't cheap and any money he had came from his allowance. Desmond, on the other hand, had been scheming Hogwarts students out of their galleons since first year and probably had a good amount saved up in his account. But was it enough for a house? Would he even want to spend that money on a house together?  It was hard to tell.

Post 3000 <3

Desmond Tonks

"What if we bought a house there?"

Desmond’s fingers stilled at this, beryl eyes flickering down to peer at his boyfriend’s relaxed face. Was this really how Mercutio wanted to discuss their future?

…Yes, yes it was. Of course he went with casual. Mercutio literally did nothing but casual.

Heaving a sigh, Desmond nudged Mercutio to sit upright. He wasn’t giving off waves of discontent. Instead, they were ones of apprehension. Mercutio had been with him long enough to suss out the difference.   

“…It’s a faraway dream.” With dream being the keyword. “Cottages are not cheap and we’re barely out of school. My business plans are solid but they’re not infallible. Your career as a celebrity isn’t either.” Blunt, cruel but honest, as always. “It isn’t that I don’t want to Merc but… we are both going to have to work our asses off if we want to make it happen. Are you anywhere close to being prepared for that?”  

Desmond highly doubted it.  

Mercutio Bates

He made a very disgruntled sound when forced to sit up. Why couldn't they just talk this out without needing to move him? What was wrong with having a serious conversation in a not so serious manner? 

Running his own hand through his hair, Mercutio flipped it to one side of his face and peered at Desmond with a piercing gaze. "I know I complain about school all the time here, but things will be different at W.A.D.A. I'll actually like what I'm studying there," he told the other Hufflepuff with a huff in his voice. He couldn't help but feel offended that Desmond didn't think he'd work hard when he wanted to. "I can make this happen. I just... it'll be weird not seeing you every day anymore... I'm not ready for that yet."

Desmond Tonks

Desmond was almost surprised at the immediate counter Mercutio offered in response to his pointed enquiry. That meant only one thing – his boyfriend was serious, probably to the nth degree.

It was somewhat refreshing, to be honest.

Then, when Mercutio dropped an affection bomb (“It'll be weird not seeing you every day anymore... I'm not ready for that yet.”), it took all of Desmond’s willpower to not melt into a puddle of goo right there and then. He was more than used to Mercutio’s cheesiness, but every now and then, his boyfriend still managed to surprise him.

“Okay okay.” Desmond started, holding both hands up to show that he was giving in. He also took the opportunity to hide his flushed face. “I’m open to making that our ultimate goal. But we also need to be realistic and consider our ability to finance this move…..what do you think your mother will say about this though?” Mama Bates had always been THE obstacle in their relationship.

…..

Oh god they were really going to do this.

Edited by Desmond Tonks

Mercutio Bates

"Mama Bates will love the idea," Mercutio insisted with a broad grin that said exactly the opposite. His mother would think they were too young, with no finances to support themselves, especially not with his expensive W.A.D.A. tuition coming soon. But they will figure out a way to survive. They were wizards! Surely they could cheat the system somehow -- rent a cheap, tiny flat in London and use an Undetectable Extender Charm, perhaps. One way or another, he was determined to continue their life together. 

Reaching forward, Mercutio gripped Desmond's hands gently in his and gave the knuckles a loving kiss. "Whatever we need to make this happen, I'll do. Promise." 

End.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.