Miss Lunes

First Aid Seminar: Practical

Miss Lunes

═══════════════ ↯ ═══════════════

First Aid Seminar: Practical

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

“Okay, so like I mentioned before in the explanation of SSSS,” Greta announced, her tongue tripping over the hissing sound slightly. “It’s never a good idea to practice spells you don’t know well on another human being. I personally don’t believe in practicing spells on any living creature, which is partly why these practice golems were created.” She noticed that some people already had their wands out, as if they were expecting the still statues to abruptly attack. “I know they might look familiar to you. Some of my cohorts at Pollingtonius Memorial Hospital helped take the ones developed for dueling practice- the ones you’ve seen, I assume- and altered them for this purpose of learning certain healing spells and practices. Cruelty-free education!” She brought her hands together in a small tinny of applause.

“The first spell I’m going to teach you is the one where you detect where the injury or wound is. The incantation for that is Invenire vulnus. It should bring kind of an orange hue to glow around the body part that is hurt.” Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed one student squinting very hard at the golem. “It won’t be super bright, but probably clear enough that you don’t have to strain your eyesight to find it.” This comment was meant to be helpful advice, so Greta missed the rude gesture that she received in return.

With her golem’s shoulder glowing a steady orange, the former Hufflepuff directed the next step. “Next, we will need to clean the wound before we can heal it. The spell for this is Tergeo.” Speckles of red stain magically lifted from the golem’s surface.

“Finally, there’s just one more task for dealing with a located, well-cleansed wound. We have to heal it! We will be using Episkey. Like…eeee-pick-eee, except, um, with an S in there.” No one ever said that Greta was cut out to be an adequate instructor. “It’s a healing spell that can help close up minor cuts and scratches. It’s a very useful general spell since you should never, ever, ever try to use a Mending Charm to heal something living.” Her pursed lips showed that she meant business with this remark. “Never. You can cause some really nasty skin scarring with that spell and potentially ruin lives.”

She let her attempt at a threatening warning sink in for a few moments before a sunny smile returned to her face and demeanor. “Okay! Who wants to go first?”

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Welcome to the First Aid Seminar – Practical Portion! You will be attempting to identify, clean, and heal small wounds on the medical practice golems in turns. There are three phases you must complete in order to succeed. They are as follows:

Phase I - Find the wound/injury

Case Invenire vulnus to find the wound/injury. This spell makes damaged tissues to glow a faint orange hue

CHOOSE Head :: Torso :: Arm :: Leg

Phase II – Clean the wound/injury

Cast Tergeo to clean up traces of the ‘blood’ around the wound/injury

CHOOSE Splotch :: Smear :: Puddle

Phase III – Heal the wound/injury

Cast Episkey to close up and heal the wound/injury

CHOOSE Scratch :: Cut :: Laceration

Each participant will post first at Phase I with at least 50 words with the appropriate form and guess of which body part is injured. If they are correct per the predetermined randomized list, they can move on to Phase II. If they are not correct, they will have to make another guess with another 50 word RP. This will continue until each participant successfully heals their golem with all three phases. Miss Lunes and the Hospital Wing Assistants will be posting periodically to update if each participant has succeeded in each phase.

Each post and RP will be accompanied by the following form:

Name :: Turn Number

Phase I :: Guess

Phase II :: Guess

Phase III :: Guess

Please bold your Name, Turn Number, and Current Phase/Guess. Please strikethrough any confirmed completed phases. Here are some examples of the completed form.

Miss Lunes :: Turn One

Phase I :: Head

Phase II :: tbd

Phase III :: tbd

Miss Lunes :: Turn One

Phase II :: Smear

Phase III :: tbd

If you have any questions, please PM me! Happy Healing!

Phillip Aldermaston

Phillip Aldermaston: Turn One
Phase I: Head
WC: 146

Phillip wandered over to examine a golem after stopping and surveying and he squinted very hard at the golem when Miss Lunes decided to offer ever-so-helpful-advice (not) that they probably didn’t have to strain their eyesight to find it.   Still, he did attempt to cast "Invenire vulnu" in order to find the injury - though he trusted his eyesight more for other reasons - partly, this had to do with the fact that he wasn't even sure how he should use the wand - all he knew was the incanction.

Phillip was a)still mad at Miss Lunes over the theory when she’d just assumed that competent and capable and trusted adults were around and b)wasn’t inclined to trust adults in general so he squinted even harder at the golem than before and threw in a rude gesture in reply to her ‘helpful’ advice for good measure.

Edited by Phillip Aldermaston
Forgot to cast the spell. Whoops.

Miss Lunes

Greta frowned at the boy, a rare sight for the former Hufflepuff. “I think you need to try again,” she advised him curtly, her lips pursed ever so slightly. “Without the rude gesture.”

@Phillip Aldermaston has NOT correctly identified for Phase I. Please try again!

Simon Reed

SIMON REED :: Turn One

Phase I :: Arm

Alright. This was the part the Ravenclaw was most nervous about, the practical portion of the seminar. The boy kept to the fray of the pack, peeking from behind a few of the older students at the golems. Miss Lunes had thankfully thought of everything, he couldn't imagine that practicing spells on each other would go over very well. He looked through his notebook to find that Lunes had previously mentioned this spell, which meant it was an important one, right? She confirmed it as she continued to demonstrate and explain it mere seconds later. Then she quickly moved on to a cleaning spell and a healing spell. His writing worsened as he attempted to jot down every single word that spilled out of Miss Lunes mouth. He wrinkled his nose as he struggled to read his notes from just seconds before... He really needed to work on his penmanship.

A third year took a shot at going first, and from the looks of it he hadn't succeeded. He held back a chuckle when the boy flipped a finger towards the golem, but figured he probably shouldn't be laughing. His first attempt would probably end in failure as well. Simon shuffled forward and knelt beside the golem, sheepishly pulling out his wand in order to give it a go. " Invenire vulnus. " the words were foreign to him, and nothing exciting really happened. He continued to hover the wand across the golem until he thought he could see something a bit orange around its arm? Could have been the light playing tricks on him though.

Phillip Aldermaston

Attempt #2 at Phase I
Phase I: Torso
WC: 106

Phillip knelt down next to the golem and began examining it more closely – let’s see, examine the ‘patient’ from head to toe.   And he’d already tried the head – but what seemed to be orange from the spell may have turned out to just be a patch of rust or something, after all.

Phillip once more cast Invenire vulnu in order to find the injury and in addition, he poked at the golem’s torso because that’s where the next most critical things were after the head. Of course this wasn’t the only way of checking stuff – someone may have taught Phillip Dr ABC when he was younger.

Simon Reed

Phase I :: Leg

It'd been a trick of the light. He shook his head, frustrated with his efforts. Did he really think he would diagnose the golem on his very first try?

Yes.

He had. He had hoped for beginners luck. Alas, he found himself attempting again. This time he shifted his wand further down the body, towards another extremity. The legs. Before he tried again, he took a look about the room to see if anybody had succeeded yet, but found that everybody was still busy hunched over their own golem. "Invenire vulnus!" he casted with determination to find the place of injury, he didn't care how many tries it took... Well, he did, solely because he didn't want to seem incompetent... on the other hand he didn't, because this seminar was about learning. Learning took practice. Was that a flash of orange?

Edited by Simon Reed
Still turn one, whoops!

Miss Lunes

@Simon Reed has correctly identified for Phase I. You may move on to Phase II!

(psst, this is still your first turn with a golem! <3)

Bryony King

Bryony King :: Turn One
Phase I :: Torso

Bryony now had to do something. Oops. She wasn't too sure what she had to do, but she listened to Miss Lunes carefully. She was after all the oldest here, and a Prefect. She was supposed to show some form of leadership, but really she just liked to hover in the back of a group and suss out a situation before she made a decision on how she should act. 

Gingerly she leaned over her Golem and did a quick visual survey. She then he;d her wand out "Invenire vulnus" she spoke with a false confidence. Maybe the wound was on their torso. That as a big enough area and covered a multitude. 

Simon Reed

This time his eyes did not deceive him! The leg let off a bit of an orange glow, and Simon couldn't help but feel a bit of pride having found the area of injury. He thought it would have taken much longer, but he wasn't complaining. 'Now what... ' he thought to himself, attempting only to use his memory to remember which step came next but failing. Good thing he had written everything down. He opened up his little notebook and set it beside the golem so that he peek at it if he stalled again. He deciphered his scrawl well enough, something to do with cleaning. That made sense! He didn't want to fix an unclean wound, it might get an infection of sorts...

"Tergeo?" he attempted, hoping that he wasn't mixing up a letter due to the way he linked his vowels at the end of his writing.

Phillip Aldermaston

Attempt #3 at Phase I
Phase I: Arm
WC: 106

Phillip once more went through what parts of Dr. ABC could be checked on a golem.   Danger was easy enough but the rest…not so much.    Still, he cast the spell “Invenire vulnu” once more although he had kind of mumbled the initial I of the spell.

Phillip followed this up with looking at the golem’s arm, prodding at the golem’s arm – and did he just try to smell the golem? Phillip considered throwing Miss Lunes another rude gesture but resisted the temptation.

Phillip thought he saw a patch of orange on the golem’s arm but it could have been a trick of the light or something. 

Clayton Stagg

Clayton Stagg :: Turn One

Clayton never thought finding wounds would be valuable. Not until he realized there were plenty of internal injuries. Like the time he had those parasites digging through his arm and his father didn't know what to do. The man panicked and did what he could, but Clayton was left with that nasty scar since the they didn't know the first thing about healing magics.

This was different. Clayton didn't want to keep collecting all sorts of nasty magical scars. He wanted to move forward feeling confident in his abilities. So instead, he glared at the golem trying to focus hard on finding what may have been wrong with it. "Invenire vulnus." Clayton cast the spell over the object's body as he tried to see if it worked or not.

Miss Lunes

@Bryony King has correctly identified for Phase I. You may move on to Phase II!

@Simon Reed has correctly identified for Phase II. You may move on to Phase III!

@Phillip Aldermaston has NOT correctly identified for Phase I. Please try again!

@Clayton Stagg has NOT correctly identified for Phase I. Please try again!

Simon Reed

Phase III :: Laceration

Speckles were lifting off... just like they had when Miss Lunes' had been teaching them the spells. He was grinning from ear to ear, finding an odd satisfaction from healing magic. It was a bit thrilling and puzzling, and he couldn't wait to do more of it! Once the spell did its work, he needed to actually preform the Mending Charm. Simon looked at his notes again, reading about the pronunciation... something about an 's' before the 'key' and underlined lines regarding the consequences if he were to use the spell on a living person that did not need healing. It was interesting to think that the Mending Charm could possibly save OR ruin lives. He bit his lip and tried the spell a few times without his wand, once he felt certain he had practiced enough, he picked his wand back up and hovered over the leg once again. 

"Episkey!" 

Clayton Stagg

If Clayton didn't know any better he'd say he hadn't cast a spell at all. The golem was still laying there without any signs of faint glows to alarm Clayton what the problem was. "Tch." There was no excuse for it. With the amount of time he'd put into learning similar spells with Everly he should be able to pick up this stuff easy. The fourth year glared at his wand, determining that was the problem, before he leaned over and waved his wand forward again. "Invenire vulnus." He muttered quietly.

Phillip Aldermaston

Attempt #4 at Phase I
Phase I: Leg
WC:  106

So his golem definitely had a leg injury since he’d ruled everything else out.  Time to cast the Invenire Vulnu spell again then and repeat it down the length of the leg – starting from where the hip joined the torso and then follow the length of the leg all the way down to the toes – and then cast it on each of the toes.

Yes, since Phillip had already determined that it was the leg through a lot of trial and error, he figured that he might as well work exactly where on the leg his golem was supposed to be injured. out 

Bryony King

Bryony King :: Turn One ;; 54 Words

Ok. She hadn't been terribly atrocious with her last move, and it turned out her guess of a injury to the torso had been a good guess. Perfect. 

Now she noticed though there was blood. How much was hard to tell. It was still oozing out. 

She pulled a semi disgusted look and waved her wand half heartedly. "Tergo" and hoped it wasn't a lot. 

Simon Reed

Phase III :: Scratch

It didn't work. 

Again, a slight pang of disappointed resonated within. He sighed and looked up to Miss Lunes to see if she had any pointers or perhaps she had a few words of encouragement... but she was occupied elsewhere. No matter, he would try again! Simon just had to keep telling himself that these weren't supposed to be easy spells, especially for a first year. Come to think of it, was he the only first year around? Before referring back to his notes he looked around the room once again and confirmed that he was a lone wolf. That made him both proud and scared to be his years representation, he definitely felt a bit more pressure to perform well. 

He reviewed the spell and wand motions, and tried again. "Episkey!" 

Clayton Stagg

"Tch." Clayton was left still staring at nothing in particular. The golem didn't light up or anything of the sort. He sighed as he placed his wand down a moment and crossed his arms to look down at the thing. This wasn't going his way and it was rather frustrating. He was no good at magic when frustrated, so instead the male made sure to take a quick breather before pointing his wand back at the golem and attempting the spell yet again. "Invenire vulnus."

Kermit Princeley

@Bryony King has NOT correctly cleansed the wound for Phase II. Please try again.

@Clayton Stagg has correctly identified for Phase I. Please move on to Phase II!

@Simon Reedhas correctly healed for Phase III. Congratulations! Your golem is healthy and happy!

Phillip Aldermaston

Phase II: Splotch
WC: 109

Okay, so Phillip had finally found that the golem’s wound was indeed on its leg somewhere and since he’d had such trouble finding, he naturally assumed that when he cast Tergeo, it would only be cleaning up a splotch of blood since he figured that he’d have noticed a puddle and probably would have noticed a smear.

“Tergeo!”  Of course, the golem could be internally injured which would explain why he hadn’t found larger wounds but for now, he would guess that it was a minor wound.  

Still, Phillip couldn’t help glancing at Miss Lunes or her helpers to see if any of them was inadvertently giving clues away.

Clayton Stagg

Phase II :: Sploch

The arm glowed just enough for Clayton to see. Yeah, this was good.  He stared at it a few moments trying to be sure he wouldn't forget it. He was already looking forward to testing it on an actual human. He'd have to hang in the dueling chambers and take care of people who went to the first aide kit for a day. There were always small injuries that needed mending there. It would be better practice since it looked like getting his own personal golem would be harder than he expected.

The male swiftly raised his wand casting a quick: "Tergeo." As he attempting to clean the wound with the spell he'd never used before.

Phillip Aldermaston

Phase II: Smear
WC:  107

Hmm…Phillip was still convinced that he would definitely have noticed an entire puddle of blood so he once again cast “Tergeo” on the golem with the mindset that there was a  smear of blood, rather than a splotch.  

If that didn’t work, it had to be a puddle but that would raise all sorts of questions about how in the world he managed to miss a whole puddle.   But…he’d see.     Once more, Phillip poked the golem to see if it did anything.  And he idly snuck a glance or two at the nearest hospital wing staffperson to see if they’d noticed he was poking at the golem.