Miya Weber-Li

We used to outsource this kind of thing

Miya Weber-Li

It was horrible. Terrifying. Blood chilling. Hair raising. No Good Very Bad. The children had been kidnapped. The. Children. Had. Been. Kidnapped.

Abducted! Captured! Taken!

Fortunately, for everyone, there was a man who came to their rescue. If the kidnappers were looking for a ransom, this man didn't have any money, but what he did have, was a very particular set of skills. Skills he had acquired over a very long career. Skills that made him a nightmare for people like them. If they let the children go, that would be the end of it. He would not look for them. He would not pursue them. But, if they didn't, he would look for them. He would find them. And he would..... ....

Thank Merlin for Richard Fowler. However, the world couldn't continue to rely on Richard Fowler, and his very particular set of skills. The next generation of children needed to aspire to be like him, so they could one day bear the torch, when he retired. Miya wasn't interested in doing that, but if she didn't prepare herself adequately, what would happen if it was her sister who was kidnapped next time? Shay would search from hell to high water for Kiri, but Miya knew that Shay, as an auror, would have to abide by the law. Miya was under no such obligation.

She had to be ready.

"Freeze! Hands in the air!" 

Miya jumped in front of a girl who she thought looked shady. Holding a lime green water pistol, she pointed it at the girl. This was her training. Even though she felt incredibly uncomfortable doing it, she had to put herself out there. Kiri was the more outgoing, athetlic, commanding individual, but Miya needed to be strong, too. Donning her hardest expression, she glared at Avery from across the barrel of her squirtgun. 

"This is a stick up!" Was she arresting Avery, or was she mugging her? "Tell me where you hid them, and you'll live to see another sunrise!" 

Edited by Miya Weber-Li

Avery Potter

Avery has always been encouraged to use her imagination. If story making was a talent then it would be her greatest skill in life. This was one of the reasons she had found her time at the primary enjoyable as it allowed her to try out a number of activities. The part she had not enjoyed, however, had occured when they had been ‘kidnapped’ by a clumsy male with a portkey. Not only had it been truly confusing, she had suffered multiple lectures on ‘stranger danger’.

Wanting to move on from this she had been about to try and find someone to play with. Avery thought that this would be the perfect chance for her to make news friends. She had no idea what they would do. All she knew was that she wanted to go to Hogwarts with friends who were wonderful and full of the same childhood wonder she was brimming with.

“Wh… huh?” Avery was stunned as a girl came out of nowhere. She was armed with a water pistol, as Avery looked from the green play weapon to the girl holding it. “Who do you think I have hidden?!”

Was this some game she had not know about? Was someone really missing once again? Maybe this school needed to get a better security system...

Miya Weber-Li

"Don't play dumb, I know you've got them hidden somewhere. You took them, didn't you? You kidnapped them! You're a kidnapper! You napped the kids!"

Her finger rested, shakily, on the trigger. She didn't know how her mom could do this every day. It was scary, holding someone else at water gunpoint, and she couldn't begin to magine what it would be like, in the real world, where the wands could do real damage, and hurt real people. That's what practice was for, though, so Miya could become strong enough to one day save real kidnapped chidren.

But, right now, she needed a break. Keeping up the act was hard work.

The hardened expression on her face broke, and she wiped away a bead of sweat, as she lowered the barrel of the pistol. "Was that convincing? I was trying to sound threatening, although I don't think I did a very good job." Switching the water pistol for a pen, from her pocket, Miya wrote on her arm, "Nobody says "napped the kids"." Eventually, she'd get the hang of it. She could even ask her mom for advice!

"My tough attitude could use some work."

Avery Potter

Avery was stunned for a brief moment.

Students were missing once again? Her grandfather would be absolutely furious with the staff at the primary if that was the case. She looked around the area, as if trying to find evidence of the disappearance, before the girl spoke again.

“Your kidding?” Avery questioned, before she realised that would be the case. “Oooooh. So, men haven’t taken anyone again? That’s good. I don’t want anymore lectures about stranger danger from my daddy. You were convincing. Maybe we could work together to make it even more so?”

She adored acting. She adored learning about acting. She would totally be able to help her with the very important skills you learnt.

“I could ask my grandpa what he would say if you want.” She added, knowing that his work within the auror department meant he could deal with missing persons.

Miya Weber-Li

From Miya's experience, grandfathers were old, crotchety men. Maybe not always crotchety, but that's how they were portrayed in television shows. They were either grumpy, and mean-spirited, or they were kind, and loving. She was fortunate to have the latter for both her grandfathers, but she had to assume there were people who only experienced the former. Where else would television shows have drawn their inspiration from?

However, whether a grandpa was nice, or surly, didn't change the fact he was still old, and what would old people know about kidnapping? They were the very opposite of kids. Were she asking about "grandnapping", then Avery's grandfather could be of use, but this wasn't grandnapping, and he was probably old enough, where his bones ached, every time he moved, so he couldn't be the kidnappee, nor the kidnapper. But, maybe he had prior experience, in his youth......

"Why would I want you ask your grandpa? Was he kidnapped before? Or....." Miya whispered, to save Avery her family dignity, "....did he kidnap other people?"

OOC: Sorry for the wait!

Avery Potter

She did not keep her family a secret from anyone. Avery’s family was just a branch of a larger tree, which meant that she had a lot of relatives. The girl was expecting Hogwarts to be a completely different atmosphere to what she had at home. Hogwarts would mean that she would lose certain things that she adored. Avery was used to having her own bedroom. It had been the perk of being the only girl for many years. When Amelia entered the world she had been concerned, but her room remained her own. She would also dislike the fact that there were many people who would stare or act strange when they heard her last name.

Miya’ was not one of those persons. This caused Avery to give a beaming smile as she wondered how to word her next sentence without bringing attention to herself. She found herself starting to like Miya, so did not want to destroy that by being strange.

“My grandfather works for the ministry in the law office.” Avery replied, trying not to give away his title. “He works to take down the bad people. He’ll be able to give you some tips!”

Miya Weber-Li

They had something in common, then! She twirled her pistol excitedly, like a real Western gunslinger would, except she was too exuberant in her whirling, and the pistol slid off her finger, and went flying away. "He does? My mom works for the Ministry too, in law enforcement! She's an Auror." Miya said this with a great amount of pride. Though she'd inherited little of her mom's knack for athletics, charisma, and overall ability, she admired Shay for everything she'd accomplished, because Miya knew that not everybody was as talented as her mom.

"We should trade tips. You ask your grandpa, and I'll ask my mom. Maybe they know each other. What's your grandpa's name?"

The pen was poised, once again, above her arm. Miya was keen to get his name down, because if he was a grandfather, that meant he was old. With age, came experience. With experience, knowledge. Knowledge that Miya might not yet have, but could use.

"Has he worked on any big cases? My mom stopped an illegal Gillyweed grow op last week."

Edited by Miya Weber-Li

Avery Potter

As Miya stated that her mother was an Auror she was filled with excitement. It meant that the two of them had a common interest. Usually it took Avery a lot more questioning in order to find out whether that was the case with someone.

“That’s a great idea.” Avery replied, although she wondered whether her grandpa would actually tell her anything about the dangerous people he dealt with. She was certain that everyone within her family wanted to keep the ‘children’ protected in every way possible. “That’s super cool. How did she hear about it? Through a lot of intelligence people?”

She didn’t know whether she would make a good auror. She felt like she would be too friendly with everyone which could ruin the operations.

“My grandpa is called Harry. What’s your mum’s name? He works with all the aurors so he totally would have met with her before.”

Miya Weber-Li

Miya lifted her shoulders. She was just as clueless as Avery, when it came to her mom's network of spies. Whether Shay actually had spies was up for debate, but Miya liked to think of her mom as an international secret agent, who got to use fancy devices, like watches that shot undiluted Bubotuber pus spray, or stilettos where the heels could detach, and be used as Dark Detectors.

"Your grandpa's name is Harry? Like Harry Potter!" she said, brightly. "Was he named after Harry Potter?" What were the odds, that Avery's grandpa, who worked in the ministry's branch of law enforcement bore the same first name as the legendary crimefighter himself. She added, matter-of-factly, "My mom's met Harry Potter before. He's her boss."

Miya typically wasn't one to brag, but when it came to her family, she made special exceptions. She loved her family to bits, and was excessively proud of her parents. They were the coolest people in the world, and they deserved to be known by everyone. "Her name's Shay, but I just call her Mom. I don't think your grandpa should call her that, though. It's our personal family nickname for her." Miya giggled at her own silliness. She knew every family used "Mom", but again, it played into her delusions of her mom needing a confidential codename for her spy work.

Avery Potter

“My grandpa’s name is Harry Potter.” She replied to Miya. The truth was Avery did not truly understand that her family was known by many individuals within the magical world. She had been told about their past but wasn’t emotionally mature at that point in time to understand the truth about them. To Avery the adventures that her grandpa had once had with her great aunt and great uncle were just that - adventures. “I’m Avery Potter.”

She wasn’t like her brother. She wasn’t conflicted about using the name she had been given at birth. All Avery cared about was meeting others and trying to make some friends before she found herself on the Hogwarts Express. Avery laughed as Miya spoke about the nickname. 

“I just call him grandpa. I don’t know what he is called at his work.”

Just like she wouldn’t know what her parents were called at their respective jobs. It wasn’t something she had thought about before that moment. 

“We can get some good intel if we work together.”

Miya Weber-Li

Harry Potter.

For the first time in a while, Miya was completely frozen, and speechless. The pen dropped from her hand, and she was staring into space, with her mouth open in a gentle "O" shape. Was this possible? Could one of her classmates really directly related to the famous Harry Potter? Crimefighting was in her blood! The power to overcome evil was baked into her genes! Miya had so much to learn from her. Not that Miya wanted to be a force for justice, but if she was going to protect herself from being kidnapped, then she needed to know a fighting spell or two.

"Y-y-your grandpa's Harry Potter?" Abruptly bolting into action, she whipped the squirtgun out of her pocket, and presented it, handle first, to Avery. Between the two of them, Avery would be more inherently proficient with it. "Yes, we should work together! I'm Miya Weber-Li. My mom's Shay, and she's an Auror who knows your grandpa!" 

Was it a coincidence, that fate put these two girls together? The daughter of an Auror, and the granddaughter of a legendary vanquisher of evildoers, together?

Avery Potter

Avery was getting used to certain people acting strangely when her grandfather's name was mentioned. As Miya spoke, she prayed that this would not be one of those times. She wanted to get one with everyone in her year because of her own merit. Although they were completely different, Avery’s longing to be treated kindly by others because of her own actions and not because of her name, was similar to Anderson’s wish. The only difference was Avery not hiding who she was from the outset.

“We’ll make a great team!” Avery exclaimed. If they both had family members who battled the evil wizards and witches who lived within the world then they surely had combined skill. Could it be within their blood? Could Avery find that she was better at something other than telling stories? “What should we do first?”

Miya Weber-Li

Miya twirled around. "We ought to investigate the kidnappings! They've already arrested the men who were in charge of the Portkey, but what if it's part of a larger scheme? This could have been a practice run, and the real target is Hogwarts. Make sure not to touch anything when you get there, in case it's an illegal Portkey!"

Anything could be a Portkey, and that was the trouble. What if the boat they road across the lake was a Porktey? What if the Sorting Hat was a Portkey? What if their beds were Portkeys?

Miya was going to have to be very, very, very vigilant, and have someone else touch everything, before she did.

"See if you can get any confidential info from your grandpa, and I'll do the same with my mom. I bet this is just the beginning, and we'll be the ones who crack the case." Miya put her hands together to form a gun, with her fingers, and struck a pose, Charlie's Angels style. "We'll need codenames, to protect our identities. What's your codename?"

Avery Potter

Miya was rather intelligent. Avery had not thought about the possibility that it had been a plot rather than a mistake. What if the men returned? What if other people arrived to kidnap all of the first years? The future of the Wizarding World would be at stake! 

“Yes we need too. We must protect our fellow eleven year olds. What kind of investigators would we be if we didn’t protect them?” She was certain that her grandfather would love if she followed him his crime fighting footsteps. She didn’t stop to think about the entire history she had been told in regards to her family. 

“I’ll ask grandpa the next time i see him. I’ll be super doper charming and smiley and he wont be able to say no.” Avery added with a determined tone. As Miya spoke about codenames she thought about her favourite animals. “Can my code name be Robin?”

Edited by Avery Potter

Miya Weber-Li

"You can't be Robin." The finger-gun dropped. "There's already a Robin, in our class."

Sadly, Miya was legitimately proud, that she knew a classmate's name.

"How about Sparrow? If you're set on having a codename based on birds. Sparrow, or Eagle, or Falcon, or Hawk. You could also choose Pterodactyl, if you want." Meanwhile, Miya began to contemplate on her own secret moniker. She could easily play off the "web" in Weber. Spider, Arachnid, Black Widow. But, that might be a little too obvious, and people would be able to figure her out quickly. She needed something more obscure.

And then, she got it. Miya hopped on the spot, and exclaimed, "I'm going to be Mario!" 

It's a me(ya), Mario!

Nobody would ever expect a spy, going by the name of an Italian plumber, to be a half-Chinese girl. It was the perfect cover, one that would make her mom proud. 

Avery Potter

Ah. Miya was correct of course. It maybe very difficult to have a code name that was the same as one of their classmates. What if they tried to send a secret note to each other and Robin intercepted it? It would not be the best when they needed to remain under the radar from their classmates. She listened to Miya’s suggestions and beamed as one came up she truly liked.

“I like them all.” Avery replied as she listed them mentally. “I think I will be Pterodactyl. It’s not like anyone else will get confused if they overhear it being used.”

Mario and Pterodactyl. There was not link between the two names and it was absolutely perfect.

“Well then Mario. I think we should start our first mission. Pterodactyl ready for duty!”

This was gonna be great. Hogwarts would not know what hit them.