Wesley Mercer

And when the lights start flashing like a photobooth and the stars exploding, we’ll be fireproof

Wesley Mercer

"There's something that's been bothering me," Wesley casually mentioned while Olliver filled out some paperwork for work and he needed attention. "How did we get married." There were articles in gossip columns, front page blurred paparazzi photos in magazines, even a mention in Witch Weekly (albeit a degrading one, Wesley was more than just the Puddifoot's shopkeeper), and yet he couldn't recall anything. 

"How did it happen?"

Olliver Mercer

“I am very glad you said ‘how’ rather than ‘why’.” Olliver looked up from his papers, reading glasses sliding down his nose.  “Although you know I don’t really remember either,” he sighed, gazing down at the golden band on his ring finger with a sad smile. A smile which suddenly froze as a horrible thought hit him.

“You don’t regret it, do you?” 

Wesley Mercer

"No of course not!" Wesley clarified. "I don't. I mean these aren't some Vegas vending machine dispensed rings, I had them for a reason, I just can't remember how it happened." There'd been a lot of drinking that weekend, and poker; he remembered the poker. 

"Do you remember how we met?" He wondered, a small smile spreading across his features. 

Olliver Mercer

Relief flooded through him and he relaxed. 

“I know.” Wesley would always reassure him even at his most ridiculous. It was something no one else had ever been able to do.

“Of course I do.” He shot Wes a wry smile. “Duelling Chamber, followed by years of relentless bullying.” 

Edited by Olliver Mercer

Wesley Mercer

"Okay yes..." Olliver wasn't wrong but that wasn't what Wesley was trying to get at. "But I was talking about the afternoon at the Ministry." 

Olliver Mercer

“Oh.” That took him by surprise. “When I was handing in my resume and you were getting dragged out by security… wow, that feels so long ago now. You were the last person I expected to see there.”

Wesley Mercer

"I wasn't getting––" Wesley thought back on that afternoon. "––Okay, I was getting dragged out of the Ministry but you know what's funny, if I hadn't been getting dragged out by the poor Auror intern, I wouldn't have noticed you."

Olliver Mercer

Olliver was about to correct him but was happy to see Wes correct himself. There had been several eye witnesses, he couldn’t deny it.

“Wait, what do you mean?”

Wesley Mercer

"You were the reason I didn't get kicked out of the Ministry. After I saw you, I said I knew my way out and then I appeared beside you and tried to use that terrible pick up line..." 

Wesley internally cringed at the memory of the line he'd used trying to get Olly's attention.

Olliver Mercer

“… that was a pick up line?”

Wesley Mercer

"Do you not remember it?" Was Olly going to torture him and make him repeat it, relive that moment where he, Wesley Mercer, lost all charm? "I asked if it was hot in here or if it was just you... but then you turned around and I panicked and you looked at me like I must have been mad."

Olliver Mercer

Olliver couldn’t help but let out a slight snicker. It had been probably one of the most surreal moments of his teenage years. “Oh I remember. But I had no idea what you were talking about, or that you were actually genuinely talking to me."

“And I did think you were mad,” he said lovingly. “Still do.”

Wesley Mercer

"I'm mad?"

Well...

"This from the one who agreed to have dinner with me after our surprise encounter at the Ministry. Dinner where you talked and I actually listened. You were so worried about how you were going to pay you wanted to stick to water. Perhaps I should have made it more clear at the time that when I said 'hey, so I was supposed to meet up with a business partner for a business dinner but they canceled at the last minute so now there's a reservation that I don't want to go alone to, are you hungry?' it meant I was paying for everything."

Olliver Mercer

“Yes, I was also mad. I just got home from my ‘struggling artist’ year in Paris. I was sleeping on my sister’s couch and had about a galleon to my name, but I was still trying to keep my pride you know… what little I had left.” 

A year in the life of a nineteen year old poet was never really going to be a success story, he should have known that from the beginning, but something inside him had desperately wanted to shift all the expectations that had been placed on him. Rebellion had always been a foreign concept to Olliver though.

“But I wasn’t going to say no, even if it meant just sticking to water. And obviously, I'm glad I didn't.”

Wesley Mercer

"Struggling artist, what were you thinking? Actually I think the only thing you've done that could make anyone question what on earth were you thinking was agreeing to move in with me. Then again, at that point you'd stayed here how many times? You practically had to babysit me: make sure Wesley gets home in one piece and conscious from the L-Squared."  

Olliver Mercer

“Let’s not remind me.” Olliver hid his face in hands for a moment, hoping they’d soak up all the embarrassment.

“If I recall, you were very, very insistent. And in fairness, I had nothing to lose.” Even though he had felt like the worst moocher for months after moving in.

Dragging his hands down off his face, Olliver sat back up and looked Wesley in the eyes. “Let me tell you, you definitely do not remember half of those nights. Besides, someone had to make sure you got home safe.”

Wesley Mercer

There was a moment in their relationship, before it was actually a relationship (or a friendship for that matter) where Wesley realized one thing about Olliver: there was something different there and it scared him. 

He remembered everything, remembered their late-night conversations, when he'd had a bit too much too drink and Wesley would ask him to stay to make sure he actually woke up for work the next morning. Sometimes he acted like he didn't remember or he didn't know, but he did. 

"And it had to be you? You don't know how many times I expected you to crash my car or to leave me in there when we got back. Olliver, I remember everything." 

Olliver Mercer

“Well, who else? And I told you to just let me apparate,” Olliver mumbled, brushing his hair back off his face to hide his embarrassment, though he couldn’t help the blush that coloured his cheeks. 

“You know I’d never have left you.” Later, even when Wes had his freak out and Olliver had his bags packed, he still couldn’t bring himself to leave. Looking back, perhaps he had fallen long before he realised it. That glow in Wes’s eyes… that had been there too, reflected in his own. Idiots in love. 

And in many ways, they were still idiots.

“Everything," he said with a short laugh, "except our wedding.” 

Edited by Olliver Mercer

Wesley Mercer

"You know how many times I've apparated since I learned how?" Wesley could count all the occasions with one hand. "Twice? Maybe three times. Magic was never my thing." When he graduated he'd left that world behind, the universe would have it that he'd be dragged back into it. 

"Why didn't you?" It was a genuine question, even when they weren't roommates (or anything for that matter), Olly was there. Anyone else would have left him there and have him figure out how to get back to Surrey on his own from Halifax while under the influence of Firewhiskey and the L-Squared specialty: Toxic Waste™. 

"Well our wedding is an entirely different story," Wesley laughed, "I hadn't had that much to drink when you would rescue me from the L-Squared as I did when we got married. Remember my birthday?" 

Wesley's 23rd EXTRA-vaganza.

Olliver Mercer

Olliver got up from the table, his papers now thoroughly abandoned, to sit on the arm of Wes’s chair. 

“Because I liked you. Obviously.” He gave Wes a playful nudge. “And of course I remember your birthday. I mean…” Damn that blush. “How could I forget?”

He stole a swift kiss that was definitely not an attempt to hide his embarrassment before looping his fingers through Wesley’s. “Although I think the real question is do you remember it, because boy did you take advantage of that two-for-one birthday special.”

Wesley Mercer

"Obviously," Wesley rolled his eyes. That was something he struggled with comprehending, the fact that Olly liked him... for his personality, something that was used to explain the main reasons as to why people couldn't stand him. "Everything changed after my birthday." In retrospect, he wasn't sure if it was for the better but now he knew, it was the best decision to date. 

Wesley grinned into the kiss, murmuring an I love you before pulling away. 

"I remember it. I remembered that I kissed you, and then you avoided me." 

Olliver Mercer

“Well, what exactly did you expect?” Olliver muttered, thumb idly stroking the back of Wes’s hand. “It took me by surprise, alright? Then I still had to keep living in your house, act like nothing had happened...”

Wesley Mercer

"You avoided me for three weeks, Olliver," Wesley reminded. "If it weren't for the fact that Star complained about how you'd get in the way of her watching her shows, I would have thought you left. I had to show up at the Ministry and sneak past countless of wards to get up to your office." 

Olliver Mercer

“I mean, you didn’t have to, you could have just called or sent an owl or… No never mind, you’re right, I would have ignored you.”

There had been many periods of confusion in Olliver’s life, spanning from Death Eater chaos to puberty (in no particular order), but those three weeks he spent in this limbo were the most bamboozling of them all. Stuck between being Wesley’s roommate and his… whatever it was. Honestly, it was a miracle he hadn’t left then. It would have been entirely in character.

“I just thought everything had been ruined then. That I'd had to leave because things had changed so utterly between us. And I didn't want that."

Wesley Mercer

Wesley gave Olly a really now look and kept it fixed on him until the other agreed that a letter would have been useless in the situation. It wasn't like Wesley's sudden appearance at the Ministry made things better but it got them to agree on what they were at least. 

"And you avoiding me made me feel like I had ruined everything. You should have seen your face when I said that friends could kiss other friends and it didn't have to mean they were suddenly dating or anything serious."