Aiden Hunter

I can tell that we are gonna be friends

5 posts in this topic

It had been a relatively uneventful summer for Aiden so far, other than getting his Hogwarts letter there really hadn't been much going on...I mean other than his parents trying to teach him as much as possible so he could go in prepared. Pre-Hogwarts was no better, every once in a while something would pop up where Aiden could have a bit of fun but it was mainly learning about things that he would quickly discard after class. Really the only time Aiden wasn't bored out of his mind was when he was able to make trips to Diagon Alley.

Most of the time he would make these trips out of leisure starting his day off with perusing the wares at Wiseacre's then going to Quality Quidditch Supply to see if they had received any new Quidditch equipment. Then he would spend the rest of his day talking to street vendors and seeing what they had until finishing with a trip to Sugarplum's Sweets Shop before finally heading home. Unfortunately, today was not one of those days. Today he had business, he had to go buy his robes for Hogwarts. It wasn't all bad news though since he had saved up enough money so that he wouldn't have to buy second-hand robes. Being the oldest of his siblings he normally didn't have to go through hand-me-downs like his siblings and he wasn't going to start now.

As he was about to reach the store something caught his eye. A boy that looked about his age standing in front of Knockturn Alley. For some reason, the boy looked familiar...he was probably just someone that went to Pre-Hogwarts with him. Apparently, the boy didn't know that Knockturn Alley wasn't a place you wanted to hang around. "Maybe this day won't be such a bust after all," he thought to himself. He smiled to himself as he walked up to the boy.

"You thinkin about going there? That's Knockturn Alley, a bit of a dodgy place if I do say so myself."

For someone so small and so gawky, Winston always found himself getting into some big trouble. He didn’t mean to… it just happened. It was happening all the more now with the somewhat recent discovery that magic was real. The bespectacled boy used to think his spouts of magic were manifesting mutant genes like in the comics but now Winston knew he was actually just part of a secret society of magic wielders. The old ‘muggle’ world used to excite him so now, with a whole world to explore, to learn about, and to understand, Winston couldn’t stop himself from pursuing all of his little or large questions until he got answers. 

Despite his mum yelling at him earlier to stay beside her, Winston decided to merrily make his way down Diagon Alley. He was sure that he must have missed some cool shops on his previous three trips. The idea of something undiscovered being out there made the curious boy go crazy with imagined possibilities. All of his Pre-Hogwarts Primary teachers tried to tell him that only the entrance to Diagon Alley would open with a tap but Winston didn’t want to miss his an opportunity and tapped many particularly looking old bricks and funny knots on wood doors with his new wand.

So far, no secret passage ways came up but Winston knew it was only a matter of time. 

It didn’t take long for the small boy to find himself in front of the opening to Knockturn Alley. Winston knew it didn’t have the best reputation but really, what could be so bad in there? If he had to wager, the brown haired boy would guess there were shops with dragon eggs or magical weapons, or illegal games of poker with talking cards, or just adults like boring Mr. McRobbie getting drunk at a shady pub. Who wouldn’t want to see any of that?

“Come on, how bad could it really be?” Winston grinned at the familiar looking kid. “If it was so bad, why wouldn’t the Ministry shut it down? They probably just keep all the cool stuff in there. Wanna find out?"

Edited by Winston Hughes

Aiden smiled, he was definitely glad that he decided to take a detour from his business in Diagon Alley to talk to this boy. He seemed to be completely down for whatever Knockturn Alley had in store for them.

"I heard there are all sorts shops that are just devoted to the dark arts." Saying "dark arts" almost made Aiden shiver. The fact that there was magic that could control, grievously harm or even kill someone wouldn't faze him normally but the fact that he was so close to a place that seemed to almost revel in it scared him. "I was always told that you don't want to mess with that stuff...but I usually don't listen to what I'm told anyways. He chuckled as he finished talking, though something did make him uneasy.

His mother always told him to not even think about dabbling in the dark arts while he was away at Hogwarts. Even if he wanted to it would be hard for him to learn about it seeing as it wasn't even taught at Hogwarts. Though he had heard stories about how other schools taught dark arts. 

He had to make sure that this other boy truly wanted to go down Knockturn Alley. I mean all Aiden had heard about it since he was young were things akin to horror stories. Really though...how bad could it be? "I mean if you're one hundred percent sure then yeah I'm down. Who knows maybe we'll even come out with a nice souvenir" Aiden turned around and began walking back towards Knockturn Alley. He may have only had enough money for his robes but he was sure that one of the shopkeepers in the Alley wouldn't mind if he took something to remember his trip by. "I'm Aiden by the way...Aiden Hunter." 

“Wicked.” If this boy thought telling Winston would be deterred by the dark arts, he was sorely mistaken. Winston was still too new to the magical world that the subject hadn’t really left an impression on him. To him, it was just offensive magic like how muggles had guns, drones, and bombs. When the boy stated he didn’t really listen to what he was told, Winston’s smiled conspiringly in response. “Me neither. No one can stop me from exploring something new!” 

The very idea offended the thin boy deeply.

“Of course I’m sure! Imagine all the cool stuff they must have hidden in there? All the stuff our parents and teachers don’t want us to get our hands on too early.” Images of all the hidden things were flashing through his mind. “I bet we can find dragon eggs if we look hard enough.” It seemed like that did the trick because soon, Winston was following the boy towards Knockturn Alley. Waves of excitement were coursing through his body when the other boy had the decency to introduce himself. Something which Winston would have forgotten to do otherwise. Oops. 

“Nice to meet you, mate. I’m Winston Hughes. This is going to be wicked, come on!” Winston hurried ahead to take the lead and he soon took his first step into Knockturn Alley.

The other boy clearly wasn't deterred by the dark arts. Well if he wasn't then neither was Aiden...and I mean if other schools would teach them then they couldn't be so bad then could they?

"You know what you're right! They probably don't want us investigating the dark arts because they don't think we're "ready""  Aiden said sounding somewhat offended at his new revelation. "No one is allowed to tell me what I'm not ready for." Aiden got giddy at the thought of a dragon egg...magical creatures had always interested him greatly and dragons were definitely one of his favorites. "Who knows all the hidden things that they have down there. I mean how bad could it be?"

The thin boy then introduced himself as Winston Hughes and rushed ahead.  "Nice to meet you to Winston...wicked..." Aiden shook his head with a smile on his face. He then realized that the other boy had hurried ahead so he jogged up to reach him.