Josephine Tindall

Listen to the moneytalk

7 posts in this topic

Sylvia had finally left them. For such a small and round woman she had a boundless amount of energy and Jo was frankly alarmed at how fast she had moved. “Can we stay for a bit?” She’d asked her brother who had found a place sit and shrugged her off, a dismissive grunt leaving the moody teenager as Jo grinned and waved before taking off.

She’d been waiting all day for an opportunity to wander Diagon Alley on her own. Her eyes had been wide as saucers all day and more often than not she’d forgotten to breath because of how wonderful and magical everything was. Goblins ran the banking system and now she had her very own bank account and she was only eleven years old. Not that she had much money but regardless it still felt grown up.

The magical world kicked the normal worlds #####.

Her nose wrinkled as she rummaged in her pockets for the wizard money she’d exchanged the pounds for. A few silver and few bronze ones left. She couldn’t remember what they were called (truthfully she hadn’t been paying too much attention to Sylvia) only that the gold ones were worth the most. “Oi,” she called out to the closest passer-by before clearing her throat and plastering a feigned polite smile on her face. “I mean excuse me,” she corrected herself. Manners weren’t exactly valued or insisted upon in the Tindall household. “Can you tell me what these are called again?”

Visiting Diagon Alley was one of Mabel's favorite ways to spend time because she could weave her way through crowds and lose her parents within two minutes of arriving. PHP was nice in that it was a parent-free zone, but it was also a classmates-full zone, and her classmates sometimes made her want to roll down a never-ending hill straight into Satan's mouth.

There were so many strangers Mabel could stir up trouble with, leave them feeling distressed and questioning the meaning of life. Every visit was a new adventure and exciting beyond imagination. Mabel had just convinced an elderly man that he had no need for his velvet robes and and was inspecting her new (secondhand) item gleefully when someone called her over for help - or so she assumed it was for help. All Mabel could focus on were shining coins.

"Eh?" Mabel eyed the money in the girl's hands. Pity she didn't have any galleons. "They're not worth anything. Here, give them to me and I'll give you proper wizard money." She offered in her friendliest voice, which was really just a flat voice.

Daphne should have been taking advantage of her newfound freedom and explored Diagon Alley. Instead she paced back and forth outside the wonderful shops, arms crossed and feeling ill.

"I'm sorry mum, it's all my fault." She muttered under her breath, practicing her speech for when Mrs Wells surely caught their bad deed. Kieran told her it would be fine but Daphne was sure it was not. Their mother had trusted Kieran and Daphne to visit Diagon Alley together for an hour while she had to pop off to settle a work problem. She was going to take them home and postpone their Diagon Alley visit for another day but Kieran had managed to convince her that he could keep an eye on the both of them. Kieran then convinced Daphne that everything would be okay if they split up. Their mother would never know and Daphne wouldn't bust Kieran, right?

Because she was in a slippery slope of bad deeds, Daphne had eavesdropped on a conversation nearby (the horror). Sorta. She had heard the lines 'I'll give you proper wizard money' and her brain was looking for any good deed to redeem herself. "Oh are you collecting money for a charity?" She had asked. "Um I only have a few knuts but maybe when my mum comes back, I can give you a few sickles?"

The girl she had questioned looked familiar and it took Jo a few moments to place where she knew her. Oh, the summer school that Sylvia had instructed her to go to.  There were a lot of kids and Jo had made a point of keeping to herself, learning about Hogwarts and magic on her own and without the unreliable 'knowledge' of idiot kids her age. 

Speaking of idiots, it was clear this girl thought Jo was one. 

"They are worth something," she retorted, rolling her eyes. "I was spending 'em earlier but I just can't remember the names." She knew they were of value and Jo was savvy enough not to hand anything of value over on the word of a stranger. She took a cautionary step back, bumping into the other girl that had approached going on about collecting money for charity.

Knuts and sickles? Jo paused, brow furrowing as the cogs turned in her mind. "Yes!" She shrieked. "That is what they're called." She would've thanked the other girl but her focus was on the one that was clearly a petty thief in the making. Green eyes narrowing, Jo wished the wand she now had stashed in her pocket was useful to her. Alas, her repertoire of magical spells was a big fat zero.

Her gut told her to just leave it but Josephine couldn't help herself, it'd be too easy to just walk away and she wasn't in the business of doing that. "So what is your deal?" She questioned, "Do you not have money of your own or something? Careful with this one," stuffing her money back into her pocket, Jo nodded towards thief girl to caution charity girl. "She'll rob you blind." 

"Well maybe you should remember your brain next time," Mabel returned, 'friendliness' replaced by scorn. How anyone could spend money without knowing its proper names and values was beyond her. It further boggled her mind that muggles apparently couldn't memorize three simple forms of wizarding money, yet could carry around a ton of different coins and even had rectangular paper money to use. It was baffling that anyone would want to fold their money like paper when they could more conveniently carry around small coins in a purse.

As another girl joined, Mabel instinctively stepped in front of her, preparing to tell her she had no right to join a private conversation, when New Girl suddenly became Rich Girl (as well as Easily Manipulated Girl). Mabel's interest in the first girl vanished and she nodded at the newcomer, gesturing her to reveal her worth. "Yes. Give me money."

Mabel gave the first girl a dirty look as she screeched unnecessarily upon finding out the names of the coins which, if she truly belonged in Diagon Alley or at Hogwarts, she would've known without someone's help. It seemed unsafe that someone who barely had a grasp on the magical world (Mabel assumed) was allowed to wander the streets without supervision. What if she sipped a laxative potion thinking it was any ordinary drink? -- not that Mabel would've minded the hilarity.

"Don't listen to this person," Mabel advised the rich girl. "I asked her to donate to my charity and she told me to bugger off. All I wanted was some spare change for the cause because no, I do not have any money of my own, thank you so much for bringing that up. I've given it all away charitably. Not everyone is as greedy as you are." She stared pointedly at Jo.

Daphne had already pulled out a whooping three knuts from her small little change purse. A little purse that suddenly became more useful when her Hogwarts letter had arrived. Maybe she also wanted an excuse to actually pull little coins out of that purse too. She was very easily trusting however and was probably seconds away from dropping the little bit of money she had into the other girl's hands. Well, until things got very confusing.

"Oh." She blinked an extra couple times than normal and looked between the two of them, unsure who to trust. Daphne wanted to trust both of them. Could she do that? Was that an option? They seemed like really nice girls (totally blowing over the fact for the moment that they were accusing one another of things).

"Is that true?" Daphne did end up responding. She supposed it was a question for the both of them. "Maybe it's all just a misunderstanding?" She added hopefully, wanting to see the good in everyone.

"Well I'm so bloody sorry," Jo retorted, exaggerating her fake apology and scoffing at Thief Girl. "I'll try to remember my brain next time I'm introduced to a brand new world and culture. Unfortunately for you I think you're screwed on the being a decent human front. So sorry about that," she turned away and went to explain the situation to Charity Girl but it seemed like The Worst Human Being In The World beat her to the punch. 

Was she for real? 

Jo could hardly contain her disbelief, rolling her eyes as the lies just spilled out of her mouth. 

Thankfully the other girl had the good sense to ask Jo if what Thief Girl said was true. 

"No it's not true," Jo sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose and shaking her head. This girl was clearly gullible and Jo really didn't care if she ended up handing her money over but she wasn't going to let some stranger paint her as the bad person in this situation. "I didn't know what the coins were called. I'm a Muggleborn, this is my first time here and she," Jo pointed accusingly at Thief Girl, "tried to take advantage of that."