Eloise Beauchamp

Wear your heart on your cheek, but never on your sleeve, unless you wanna taste defeat

Eloise Beauchamp

Another page turned, and Eloise stuck her nose closer to the book in front of her, squinting at a few runes etched onto the page, discerning them carefully before she pulled back a bit and continued re-reading the section she was on. Of the OWLs still left in the week, ancient runes had to be the one she was most concerned about. She wasn’t as worried about the other subjects, but runes had always been a subject she struggled with. The lack of black and white answers perturbed her.

Beside her, Nico sat, his own books open in front of him as he studied alongside her, their words few and far between. The blonde was not bothered by the silence, though, and in fact preferred it. It was much better than having her companion ask more questions about whatever this was, or why they still kissed when they patrolled together (or even when they weren’t scheduled to patrol together)…

Silence, in contrast, was easier than all the questions Nico could be asking her. Because truth was, she still wasn’t ready to answer any of them… at least not with answers the boy could likely accept, if there was any truth to the answers she gave him.

Eloise’s eyes slid over to Nico, who was seemingly focused on his own work. Growing tired of runes, Eloise decided it was time for a bit of a break. Tucked into one of the far corners of the library, Eloise didn’t mind the few people who were sitting at the tables nearby as she slid her chair closer to Nico’s, closing the scant distance between them as she did so.

Surreptitiously, she leaned over, placing her head on his shoulder and gave his jaw a chaste kiss as she turned her body, wrapping one of her legs around his beneath the table. “What are you studying?” She asked, turning her head back to look at his book, as if their body contact was perfectly normal.

Nicodemus Knight

Nico had been more than happy to meet Eloise in the Library for a study session for the upcoming round of OWLs.  He would have probably have been in there anyway, but having her company was nice, and there was always the possibility that something interesting would happen if they wound up leaving the library together.

He was reading over some of the more arcane theories of transfiguration, even though he should probably have been devoting more time to studying herbology… but he was just having a hard time convincing himself that he really cared about herbology.  Though, he was certainly more concerned about his herbology grade than his astronomy grade.  He would probably continue to take astronomy… but he had no blessed clue why.

Nico became aware of motion in his peripheral vision an instant before he felt Eloise’s lips on his jaw.  His smile froze, halfway formed, as Eloise wrapped her leg around his, and he went rigid.  Relax, Knight.  Relax.  She’s just playing with you.  His eyes scanned to see how many people could actually see them… you know, for her wanting to keep this quiet, I’m a bit surprised she’s doing this in front of potential witnesses.

“Trans-” Nico squeaked, then cleared his throat.  “Transfiguration.”  Welp, she probably loves that she made my voice do that.  Oh well.

Nico slid his arm around Eloise’s back, resting his hand on her ribs.  “How about you?” he asked, turning to look over her head at the discarded text and kissing her forehead in one smooth motion.  Unlikely to elicit much reaction, but at least is shows that she didn’t lock me up completely.  She’ll have to try harder for that.

Nico might have been playing a dangerous game, particularly if Eloise felt like he was trying to challenge her.

Eloise Beauchamp

Eloise felt Nico stiffen as soon as she moved close to him, and she hid her momentary amusement at her ability to always elicit a reaction from him. It was harder to mask when his answer started out as a squeak, and she allowed a small smirk to come onto her features as her eyes read the first few sentences of the page he was turned to.

Her mirth was short-lived, though, as her co-prefect seemed to gather his wits relatively quickly in order to slide his arm around her and kiss her forehead. She made a face at his question, nuzzling her face momentarily into Nico’s neck before grumbling an answer. ”Runes.” The single word was said with the a large amount of distaste and reluctance, making it evident just how she felt about runes.

The blonde was still determined to see what reactions she could get from Nico, but not nearly as fixated on it as she had been towards the beginning of the year. She knew she still had some sort of hold on him, and that was what mattered. For now, she let things lie and pulled her head out of the crook of his neck after placing a kiss there for good measure.

“I hate how rune casting is so… grey. There are no firm answers,” Eloise complained, looking moodily down at the complex rune spread she’d been trying to hammer into her mind for their OWL, in case she was asked to cast in that spread. “Rune casting on the OWL is probably going to be the worst part,” She added thoughtfully, as much voicing her own thoughts as curious to know how much Nico’s own aligned with hers. She looked over towards her study companion, her hand innocently moving to brush one of Nicodemus’ curls back.

Nicodemus Knight

Nico closed his eyes and enjoyed the sensation of being nuzzled.  Prior to boarding the Hogwarts Express, he’d never even held a girl’s hand... now he had Eloise practically draped all over him.  He was pretty sure it didn’t mean much to her, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t enjoy her attention.

Nico opened his eyes and smiled.  Runes?  Such disdain… that’s interesting.

Nico nodded as he listened to Eloise’s explanation, then shrugged.  “I mean, it kinda has to be, doesn’t it?  There are only 24 runes… so in a three rune spread that’s only … well a lot of different combinations, but still, it’s finite… and in theory it needs to be able to answer any question you might ask, so there’d have to be a fair amount of room for interpretation.”

Nico paused, considering, and leaned gently towards her hand.  She genuinely seemed to enjoy playing with his hair, and he had no problem indulging her.  “But yeah, the casting’s probably going to be the hardest part.  Unless they ask us to do some kind of runic inscription.  We haven’t even done that.  Just the tags…”  Nico suppressed a shudder.  Hopefully it just wouldn’t come up.  He slid his hand to rub her back comfortingly.  “I’m sure you’ll do great, though.  Grey areas or no.”

Eloise Beauchamp

Eloise allowed Nico’s words about runes to flow over her. She wasn’t sure what she’d been expecting in reply, but it certainly wasn’t the comfort that he was attempting to give her. The blonde supposed that did tell her how Nico felt about runes. Clearly, her co-prefect did not find the subject to be as tiresome as she did, and he seemed more comfortable in the grey areas that she struggled so much with.

He hand wrapped itself in his curls as he leaned closer to her, and she nodded. “I have been reading a bit on runic inscription just in case. I suppose the only good thing about interpretation is they can’t exactly tell me I’m wrong so long as I get the general gist of the runes right?” Eloise shrugged. She’d always been confident in her abilities and didn’t really need the comfort that Nico was offering her, but she wasn’t going to deny it, either.

She dropped her hand slowly to his neck, massaging it thoughtlessly as she asked, “Which are you most worried about?” Nico usually seemed good in each of their subjects, but she was curious to know which one he was the most concerned about.

Nicodemus Knight

Nico nodded – at least as much as he could while she played with his hair.  “Yeah, I mean, it’s all about interpretation.  I mean, there are definitely people who probably think there’s a ‘right’ interpretation for a casting… but it seems really subjective to me.  But I bet they really are more worried about you just getting the meanings of the runes right.” 

Nico smiled as her hand moved to his neck.  He closed his eyes and tilted his head back, leaning into the massage.   Without opening his eyes, he grimaced at the question.  “Potions.”  A shudder rippled through his body.  “I just know I’m going to blow up the proctor or melt my arm off or something.”  The written… that, he’d probably be fine on.  But Gretzky save him from the practical. 

“The worst part is that I’ve got no idea what I actually want to do after Hogwarts, so like, I don’t even know what mark I’m going to need on the OWL or if I need to go on to get a NEWT or what.”  Although, no matter what, his future career probably shouldn’t rely on Potions.  Maybe not Herbology, either.  Most other subjects would be fine.  Nico hesitated.  “Are you really the most concerned about Runes?”  He slid his arm back to wrap around her waist.  He didn’t mean it to sound condescending, and hoped she didn’t take it that way.

Eloise Beauchamp

It was interesting to hear that Nico was fretting the most about potions, a subject that had always been one of her strongest, alongside history of magic and arithmancy. The blonde couldn’t help but laugh at his reaction, a light tinkling sound. She even felt a shudder ripple through him as he’d uttered the name of the subject. She dug a thumb deeper into his neck, shaking her head.

“I never knew you were so bad at potions,” Eloise commented. It was odd, how much she hadn’t noticed, despite being in the same classroom as Nico for four and a half years. Though, Eloise was normally entirely wrapped up in herself during potions, her focus completely centered on her own brew, her own notes. She had a habit of doing that.

“I haven’t really decided that either,” Eloise admitted with a shrug. She’d debated a few careers within the ministry, but had not yet decided on one. Plus, she had other motives for keeping all subjects – she needed to continue learning about each of them so she wouldn’t fall behind her peers in any way. She knew her future career likely wouldn’t involve runes or divination, but that didn’t mean she was going to stop taking them.

“Either runes or divination, honestly. I really, really hate the grey areas,” Eloise reiterated. She was good when there was a clear right and wrong answer. Living in the uncertainty of interpretation was not where she thrived. Her hand moved away from Nico’s neck, down his spine, as she leaned her head against him. “Either way, I think I’m done studying for now,” Eloise concluded, leaning even closer to Nico and giving him a small smile. “What about you?”

Nicodemus Knight

“Mmmm,” Nico leaned into the pressure of Eloise’s thumb.  “Oh yeah.  Well… I’m not the worst personl in the world at potions.  But I’m pretty bad.  I get the theory and book work, I just can’t make it happen once I’m working with the actual cauldron.  But you probably never noticed because I always work with Fiona, and she’s awesome at potions.  So I can pretty much hide how awful I am by just doing whatever she says during lab work.”  Somehow, in spite of always working with her, and always paying attention, I still haven’t gotten much better.  It was a depressing thought, but one that he had to be honest with himself.

Nico listened with interest to Eloise’s replies, nodding with interest.  “Yeah, I can totally get how that would make Divination and Runes frustrating.  But you always seem to be on top of the material, even if you don’t like it.  So at least you should be pretty solid on the OWLs.”  Nico shrugged, then smiled as Eloise’s hand slid down his back and she nestled her head against his body.  He squirmed slightly in his chair as the implications of her question set it.  “Yeah… I’m good to stop there.  Wanna go… somewhere else?”  He started trying to catalogue places where they might go where that might be … quieter.  Quieter than the library?  Okay, maybe just emptier. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.