Pandora Midnight

A needle in a ha-carpet

8 posts in this topic

Perhaps working on her embroidery indoors wasn't the best idea. At least, not in a public place like this. They were given a break from their school work to play but Pandora wasn't up for trying to befriend someone on her list. She constantly felt as if she had said or done the wrong thing. It was easiest to just stay put in her own little corner. Sitting down by the art and craft supplies, she fished out her needlework to continue her practice. Surely her mother couldn't be upset with her for not socializing with the right kids if she was polishing her skills instead.

Just as she was about to thread her needle, someone or something bumped into her. With surprise, the thin metal fell from her hands and onto the floor below. Pandora paled. That wasn't good. If someone were to hurt themselves on it, all fingers would point back to her, then not only would she be in trouble with the teachers here, her mother would likely punish her as well. She shivered. She disliked her mother's punishments. However, she also knew it wasn't acceptable for her to be crawling about on the floor. The moment her mother saw dirt marks on her skirt, she would still likely be punished. This was quite the predicament. Deciding one was worse than the other, Pandora lowered herself carefully onto the floor, her hands out feeling the textile under her fingers as she scoured her immediate area for the needle. Those little buggers could fly anywhere.

Jane was not feeling well. She hadn't yet left to go outside with her other classmates because she felt lightheaded and weak. So instead of revealing her weakness, she had remained in her seat, reading the pamphlet on Hogwarts they had been given earlier that day. It described a bit more about what she had discussed with Steph, this sorting into the four houses named after the founders. It said they would participate in a "Sorting Ceremony" during which they would be somehow sorted into their house. She still didn't know how this would happen, and she wondered if the process was somehow magical. If the ceremony involved a magical process that could see inside her, she felt sure she would end up in Slytherin. Inside, she was empty of all considerations except her desire to be an auror and avenge her mother. Daddy had always called her his 'clever girl'. Ambition and cleverness; Slytherin. If it couldn't see inside her...if it asked what she was...what would she say? She wasn't sure.

Jane didn't have friends except the two who had declared her their friend the other day for no discernible reason, and she didn't know what that declared 'friendship' even meant or what it meant to be 'loyal' to someone. Did that mean doing whatever they asked? Jane was not sure she would do that. Hufflepuff was for those loyal to their friends.

Jane wondered if pushing the classmate down the hill the other day demonstrated chivalry or nerve. Probably not...if she was brave, wouldn't she be less concerned about doing what was appropriate? Gryffindor was for the daring and brave.

Jane was a collector of knowledge, but she didn't feel like she was terribly intelligent or knowledgeable on any but the subjects she had been tutored in...Ravenclaw was for those who possessed knowledge and wit.

People seemed to think that Slytherin was a house for 'bad' people, though...did that mean Jane was 'bad'? Or was her emptiness what others called 'bad'. In Slytherin, would she be with other empty people who could understand her? That might be nice. She wasn't sure she felt 'bad,' but also didn't want to be whatever filled the faces of others with such disgust. 

While Jane was thinking, it occurred to her that perhaps the reason she was feeling so weak and lightheaded was that she had forgotten to eat yesterday, and had been unwilling to eat the day before.

"Oh," she vocalized quietly and stood from her desk. She had put a sandwich in her bag this morning, and could eat that. Perhaps she would feel better! She stood, and walked to the back of the room, toward the peg where her bag was hanging, near the arts and crafts corner. As she approached, she saw Pure-Blooded Pandora in the corner, preparing to thread a needle. What was she doing? Sewing? Jane wondered what would possess her to do such a thing when she could simply purchase whatever materials she needed from someone else, given her obvious belonging to an upper class. Or use magic to obtain or fix them, she realized afterward. 

Jane intended to step to the side to get to her bag, but her vision swam and she felt weak again. She stumbled a bit and bumped into Pandora instead of successfully avoiding her. 

"My apologies, Miss Pandora," she said, her voice coming out more weakly than she meant, and she blinked in confusion as her dark-haired classmate went to the floor, perhaps looking for something? "Have I caused you to lose something?" she asked, trying to make sense of the scene before her, room swimming as it was.

Ana's pockets were woefully empty of meal worms. She'd been in a hurry that morning and only grabbed a single handful of wormy toad treats. Spart was croaking insistently and hopping at her ankles, as thought to hurry her up. "Stop that! I'm getting your food, you stupid toad!" She was more amused than annoyed by her pet's antics, but he was nearly tripping her up with the way he lunged at her feet. What with trying not to step on her fat amphibian friend, she didn't notice there were other people in the room until it was too late.

She had just taken a large side step to avoid Spart, but instead of carpeted floor, her foot struck Jane's calf. Wayne's knee buckled, her arms flailed, and she toppled over as though it had only been chance keeping her upright to that moment. Ana's eyes went wide, transfixed on the catastrophe she'd caused. It all happened too fast for Ana to do more than feebly try to reach out to catch the American, who was already sprawled out in an uncomfortable looking mess. The poor girl had caught herself with one arm on a desk; the chair that went with it was gouging into her side, while her legs scrambled for purchase on the floor. "Ah! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?!"

Then Ana noticed the other girl on the floor. She'd somehow managed to knock over two people! "Panda? Is that you? Are you okay? Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" The dark haired girl on the floor was crawling around, but seemed physically okay. Ana's attention went back to the Texan. "Here, take my hand." She reached for the girl, hoping to pull her back up and right the situation.

Spoiler

I did receive permission for god modding prior to posting.

Edited by Anastasia Lum

Where one classmate was, more chaos seemed to follow. Pandora's eyes went wide as her odd accented classmate hit the floor as well. She hadn't even had the time to reply to her question. She could only hope that this girl didn't find her missing needle by landing on it. Sitting back up properly, she looked to her two classmates. "I'm quite alright, thank you for the concern." She replied, puzzled as to why the third girl asked if she was okay. That didn't matter. Her curiosity was stamped out by her worry with her thoughts already wandering back to the missing needle. 

Pandora watched Jane carefully, hoping she wouldn't see a sign of her classmate having been stabbed. She took a slow deep breath before speaking again. "I dropped my needle when you bumped into me." She said, looking towards Jane. She had some thoughts on the matter she would keep to herself but what on earth had this girl been doing to have just stumbled into her like that? "If I do not manage to find it, someone else may hurt themselves on it." Plus her mother would most likely chastise her for losing the item, which was silly since they could be made so easily.

Jane had not expected to be stomped to the floor as she struggled to remaon standing. She took Ana's hand and allowed her to assist her in getting up.

At Pandora's answer, she sighed, moved in her direction, got back on her hands and knees, and began looking for the lost needle. The Texan wondered why Pandora cared about others being harmed. 

"May I ask...do you worry about others being harmed because you are concerned with their safety, or because a parent will become angry?"

Jane knew she helped people to avoid disappointing Daddy, not because she wanted to. She wondered if it was the same for others.

Jane had just got to her feet, and now she was back on the floor. This time of her own volition, but it still kind of made helping her up a bit of a moot point. This was terrible. She'd knocked over Jane, who had knocked Pandora over and Panda had dropped her needle. It was like some crazy game of dominoes that ended with her standing around awkwardly while her classmates looked for a needle by hand. She should probably help them, but she needed to make sure her pet wasn't in any danger first.

Spart had hopped away when they'd fallen, and was watching from across the room with toadish indignation.

Ana had been looking at her pet when Jane asked her question, and turned around with a look of incredulity on her face. "Of course I care about other people being hurt! I'm really sorry I bumped into you, but I never meant for that to happen." Honestly, that was a pretty mean question. Like she was some kind of bully who went around pushing people to the floor for laughs. Her face heated up and her nostrils flared at the implication. It was actually a bit upsetting that her classmate would think so poorly of her, even if she had bumped into her. That had been an accident!

She turned to the other girl. "Do you want me to get a teacher to summon it for you?" Maybe she could still show them that she wasn't a bad person by helping with this needle problem. At least she'd be out of the room and could calm down.

With Jane's question in her mind, Pandora stopped searching for a moment and sat up carefully. She watched the other, a puzzled expression set in her features as she tried to absorb the words. What an odd question. Her eyes drifted towards the ceiling as she tried to think of an appropriate answer. The third girl who had joined them had also answered the question. Oh did that mean the question hadn't been directed at her? It was bad to just assume that you were the one being spoken to. Still, she had already come up with her reply. Pandora could only hope that the question had been for her and she responded, "I believe it's a mixture of both." 

She leaned down again to continue her search and continued speaking, "Depending on who was hurt I may get into serious trouble with my mother. I also believe that I would feel guilty knowing I was the one who hurt them. That is quite the odd question Jane." Hearing the other girl ask another question, Pandora sat up again to look at her, her eyes wide. "I did not even think of asking a teacher for help. Perhaps we should ask if I cannot find it before everyone comes back in from lunch."

Ana was mortified. If her face had been pink before, it must be inventing new shades of red now. She'd assumed the question was directed at her, and got all upset about it, when it had turned out that Jane had been asking Pandora. They must both think she was a thin skinned imbecile.

She hoisted her heavy toad up to her tiny hip like a profoundly ugly baby and spoke without looking at either of the other girls. "I'll get Mrs. Barclay to summon it." She hurried out of the room as quickly as a child carrying a toad over a stone could be expected to hurry.