Fletcher Barrow

I'm jealous, I'm overzealous

Fletcher Barrow

Ahh, the fresh air. Fletcher breathed deep into his lungs. Sometimes it was just too much, being holed up inside the castle walls all day long. He had to attend enough classes to keep his grades at least at an acceptable level, so he hadn’t been able to skive all day, but as soon as the class period was over he’d made a beeline for the lawn, and convinced Desmond Potter to come along with.

The snow on the ground was just the right consistency for a good snowball fight. The Slytherin scooped up a cold glob of snow with his bare hands and packed it up tight. He needed to let off some steam from being inside all day, so he turned to the Hufflepuff boy and aimed the snowball at him with a mischievous grin. “Oi, Des, catch this with your face!”

Desmond Potter

This year has been crazy, so he didn’t tell Fletcher no when they should go outside. It was winter time and the snow was falling, the snow was perfect. Maybe he needed to just get away from the indoors and have some fun outside. While he would want to sleep when he didn’t have to be in class, being down in the dungeons wasn’t something he had to do.

With fighting with Seeley, having spin the bottle, and then Seeley friend zoning him. Outside might be the best place for him. While in his hat and scarf, Fletcher yelled something about catching something with his face. A snowball wash heading right towards him.

“Whoa, what was that for?” Desmond asked, deciding to make his own snowball and throw it right back at Fletcher.

Fletcher Barrow

It wasn’t a hit, but there’d be plenty more time to try for one. Besides, there was loads of snow on the ground. It wasn’t going anywhere.

“Just a bit of fun, mate!” The Slytherin called back over and prepped up another snowball. His fingers were already flushing slightly red and the snow had a bite to it with no gloves on, but that didn’t stop him from having some fun.

Desmond’s snowball came flying over and smacked Fletcher in the shoulder. This was war now. “Good one, but I’ll get you back!” He shouted before chucking another snowball at the Hufflepuff.

Desmond Potter

Desmond didn’t mind having fun, it was one thing that he was good at. Much better at having fun the sitting in a long class, listening to a boring lesson, and then having to do homework. Like he did the homework in the first place. He kept his grades high enough so he was able to play quidditch, other than that though, he didn’t do anything else.

Watching as his snowball hit Fletcher, he laughed. It wasn’t a big hit at all. “Fun is my middle name.” Telling Fletcher, knowing that this was all fun and games. But before he knew it, there was a snowball that hit him right in the face.

“Nice aim.” He said as he was falling back. “That was not what I was expecting at all.” Desmond was trying to make another snowball and get back on his feet. It was a lot harder than he pictured in his head.

“So… um… how was um… kissing Seeley?” Why did he just ask that. Desmond needed to think before he spoke.

Fletcher Barrow

Score! There was something satisfying about seeing Desmond being hit in the face with a glob of snow. It wasn’t that he held any animosity toward his classmate, but with the things Seeley told him about Potter, sometimes Fletch thought the Hufflepuff boy could use a good snowball to the face.

He was getting ready for another retaliation to come flying his way when Desmond asked a question that caught him off guard. Their game of spin the bottle had taken place not too long ago, but the Slytherin hadn’t anticipated being asked about it, or about Seeley in particular. But now he thought about it he realized he should have expected Potter to be curious. Everyone knew he and Seeley had some weird thing going on between them. Though as far as Fletcher knew, Seeley was still single and free to be kissed.

“It was pretty good, honestly,” Fletch answered before blowing hot breath onto his frozen fingers. “I wouldn’t mind kissing Seels again, really. I wonder who she liked better though, you or me?

Desmond Potter

Why did he ask that, he shouldn’t have asked that. He wasn’t ready for the answer at all, but he figured it was coming. But then Fletcher asked who she thought would be the better kisser. “I am confident that it would be me. I mean that was our third kiss, and I am sure she enjoyed it. No matter what is happening with us.” He said as he got another snowball ready to throw it at Fletcher.

Desmond didn’t care that she was single and able to kiss anyone that she wanted to kiss. Desmond was the one that wanted to kiss her. But he wouldn’t tell people that, he had to pretend to be getting over her. Because if not, then how was this going to work on. Moving on from her, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t say that he was a better kisser.

He didn’t know how good of a kisser Fletcher was at all, but Desmond was sure he was better.

Throwing the snowball right towards Fletcher.

Fletcher Barrow

Fletcher raised his brows and ducked to avoid the incoming snowball. Desmond seemed very confident about his kissing skills, but the Slytherin couldn’t help but poke a little fun right back. “You really sure she liked you better? She didn’t seem too keen at spin the bottle.” To be fair, Potter hadn’t reacted very positively to Seeley’s kiss in the library either, but after sharing a kiss with her himself, Fletch was beginning to wonder if Desmond had been lying at the time.

“I dunno, mate. You’ve kissed three times and she still won’t date you? Makes you wonder.” He bent down to pack up another snowball and wished he had brought some gloves along. Too bad there wasn’t a spell to make snowballs for you. Actually, maybe there was, but if it existed he didn’t know it. He’d have to keep pelting the Hufflepuff boy the old fashioned way.

“Maybe she likes kissing other people too much to date you.” He flashed a mischievous grin and wound up to throw another snowball. “Like me.”

Desmond Potter

What? Did Desmond think he could kiss well? Yes he did, but did that mean he was a good kisser? That was something he didn’t know. But he had to be, since Seeley has kissed him three times. Three times and he been a butt about it all, but she was the one that wanted to stay friends, forget all the mess, and it wasn’t like he would forget it. But he would try to let it go. But then Fletcher said something and Desmond looked at him, “I am sure Fletcher, why else would she kiss me three… count it… three times.”

Not date him. “That is because she is…” What was the word he was looking for he didn’t know, but he wasn’t able to get another word out because Fletcher said something that boiled his bones, and he put the snowball down. Some friendly snowball fight this was going to be.

“I don’t think she wants to date anyone, and just be friends with them all.” Desmond said as he put his hand in a fist and threw it right at Fletcher.

Fletcher Barrow

”I dunno, maybe she wasn’t sure about it so she needed to kiss you three times to decide?” Fletcher shrugged. Girls were still an absolute mystery to him most of the time, so he wasn’t much help here. He didn’t tend to worry about things like this anyway. He liked to go with the flow and whatever happened happened.

While they continued their snowball fight Fletcher noticed a sudden change in Desmond’s demeanor. He seemed agitated, but he didn’t know why. He’d only been poking fun at the Hufflepuff. Fletch was bracing himself for another icy ball of snow to the face when his face was met with something much different - something hard and angry.

Stars swam before his eyes and he staggered back a step. His jaw ached and he tasted something metallic on his lip. For a few moments he stood, stunned at how violent this playful fight had got. He’d only been joking, sort of, but seeing the look on Desmond’s face and feeling the fresh pain rippling through his face only fueled him to fight back. “Bloody hell,” he muttered under his breath before lunging toward the Potter boy. If he wanted a fight, he’d get a fight.

Desmond Potter

“I am sure she didn’t need three times to decided that I am a great kisser, she ran up to me and planted on right on me when we were heading to Hogwarts.” And he messed up, now he knew he shouldn’t have questioned it at all, but he did and he wasn’t able to take it back now. Still, he knew that he was the better kisser and Seeley knew it also. Even if they only wanted to be friends.

Desmond was not upset, and while he did punch him first. It wasn’t like him to do that. And now he was fighting over a girl. This wasn’t how he pictured his third year at all. Trouble was always around him, but this time he was the one that started it.

He thought that the Slytherin would have dodged, seeing that Desmond wasn’t happy at all, he would never just start a fight with someone over nothing, nothing at all. But this wasn’t nothing, this was the girl that he liked. And he knew that nothing was going to change that.

Being lost in his thoughts, Fletcher had lunged at him, dodging it a little, but it still hit the side of his face and he feel over. Getting up grabbing some snow and pulling down Fletchers shirt a little and placing the snow inside. “I am sure you need to get a little cool, you are way to warm about how you believe something.” Was it because of Fletcher that she only wanted to be friends, because it did happen after the spin the bottle thing. “You are the reason, the reason she only wants to be friends with me. I have tried hard all year last year to get her, and finally I thought I had her and now I have lost her.”

Slapping Fletcher in the face, Desmond voice started to break a little. No he wasn’t crying at all. It was just snow in his eyes.

Fletcher Barrow

Fletcher didn’t really know why he was fighting. All he knew was that his jaw ached and his hands were cold and the adrenaline now rushing through him made him warm. He’d had too much energy itching to get out after being holed up inside the castle all day and Desmond Potter was currently a willing outlet for his energy and anger.

Why was he even feeling angry? Fletcher didn’t stop to think about it. He had never been one to think before acting, he’d always preferred to go with his gut feeling, and right now his gut was feeling...well, cold, now that the Hufflepuff had stuffed a handful of snow down his shirt. But also his gut was telling him to keep fighting. That, somehow, Desmond Potter deserved this.

The Slytherin sucked in a cold breath as he felt more snow hitting his bare skin. He scrambled a bit and scooped up a handful of snow beside him to smash into Desmond’s face. “You’re the one who started it!” He argued back after the Hufflepuff told him he needed to cool off. Fletcher had been plenty cool before he’d taken a fist to the face.

“If you’re mad about Seels not dating you, maybe you should go fight her.” He could still taste blood on his lip as he spoke. “How am I the reason?”

Desmond Potter

Why was he doing this? He just didn’t know, was he upset with Fletcher or with himself because he wasn’t man enough to talk to someone that he liked, but allowed things to happen that he knew would happen but was upset about them. Knowing that Seeley had kissed another boys, beside Wyatt. That was something he knew about and that was before they had kissed, three times, he wasn’t upset. But for some reason he was upset when it came to Fletcher kissing her. And he was starting a real life fight with him. Over a girl.

She was a pretty girl, and Desmond really liked her.

“So what if I started it. I will finish it also.” Where was this coming from, this wasn’t Desmond at all. He wasn’t someone that would start fights, unless there name was Juan, but other than him. He wouldn’t fight people. At least not with his hands.

But he punched him in the face. “Why would I fight her? And ruin that pretty face. I couldn’t do that to her.” That was something he knew that he wouldn’t be able to do at all, maybe that was why he picked Fletcher of all people to start a fight with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.