Pleasance Baugulf

Free Falling

9 posts in this topic

It was a beautiful day at the park and Pleasance intended to enjoy it. There were plenty of beautiful hills for her to roll down and play on, but she had to have the best and so she went to find it. It was as she found the tallest hill and climbed up it that she was shoved from behind. She yelped as she took a tumble down the hill, stopping at the bottom with a dizzy head and an aching arm. She blinked up at the sky in confusion.

Jane had come out to the hill after class, finding the temperature in the shade more to her liking. She saw a small girl with tight brown curls run up the hill and raised an eyebrow at the energy with which this girl seemed to be approaching this hill. The corners of Jane’s mouth tilted upward as the girl celebrated her victory over the climb with a fist pushed into the air. This hill was steep, but certainly not Everest. Jane would know; Daddy took her on the first run of Everest last year.

While Jane was musing, another student approached. Jane didn’t realize the intent until the new student pulled arms back as if to push, and Jane was on her feet and moving toward them before the push was completed. As soon as the happy girl fell forward, Jane had the offender in a wrist lock, twisted the arm, and sent the second student face-first, rolling down the hill.

“Darlin’, are you all right?” Jane called to the energetic girl who had been pushed.

Edited by Jane Wayne

Ivan saw the whole thing, the tiny child pushing a tinier child. The curly brown haired girl was falling down the hill. Ivan saw and it was wrong, so he started marching to the tiny child who pushed the even tinier child with wild curls. He was going to teach him it is wrong to push another who doesn’t see it coming. It would have been fine if they made their intent clear, then it would have been fine.

Before he could be set upon the bully, another dark haired child flipped the bully down the hill themselves. He found the child just at his feet. He blinked in disbelief that bully came to him instead. Ivan grabbed the bully child by the collar lifted them with ease. He level the tiny person with his eyes again, “Only fight ones who know you are coming. Or I will return for you!” He squeezed his co-student slightly to show under his layers of fat, was very real muscle. He held the bully in place as he called after the fast, dark haired, odd speaking girl to the pushed brown haired girl. “Are you alright, tiny curly girl?”

Edited by Ivan Drogon

There was a scuffle on top of the hill and her attacker was sent rolling after her while she recovered. Someone saw fit to give them a lecture, when really that was her job. After all, it was her who had been shoved, and so it should be her who should get to tell the person how wrong it was. Maybe with her fists. She was about to say so when she was interrupted with a query from a voice with a strange accent.

"I'm fine!" Pleasance yelled, only to be met with another question, with yet another new accent. It threw her off and it took her a moment to comprehend the question and formulate an answer. "I'm just fine!" she repeated "And I'm not tiny!" , rolling to her feet at last. A bit of stumbling, a wave to the girl on top of the hill, and she was walking up to the large boy. The large boy who held the one who had unnecessarily pushed her down.

"Let 'em down," she said, pulling a leaf from her hair. "I can fight my own battles."

Edited by Pleasance Baugulf

Jane watched with interest, motionless, as the large boy lifted the attacker. There was something about the way he had done it...her head tilted slightly to the side as she replayed the event in her mind and started down the hill.

The student had been rolling head over feet, curled into a ball to prevent injury. The large boy had pressed a foot lightly to the student's shin as they rolled forward, causing them to come uncurled, where his big hands were waiting to catch the lapels of the student's robes which had basically placed themselves into his hands.

"Was that...Judo?" She asked the large boy as she approached them. Her head tilted toward the energetic girl as she spoke of fighting her own battles and Jane responded quizically,  "Is this a battle?"

She looked from the student in the large boy's grip, who looked ready to get away from here immediately, to the large boy,  who had fixed the energetic girl with a curious look.

"I am not confident that it is anything but the consequences of a poorly-reasoned decision." Jane said finally, using the words Daddy had when Jane had been allowed to fight against adults in training and lost terribly.

She had been sure she was advanced enough to take on well-trained adults at the time, and Daddy had thought she was getting

...too confident, so she had been corrected.

"The boy and I are those consequences," she pointed out with a small smile.

Edited by Jane Wayne

Ivan blinked at strange talking girl, “yes, is Judo. Have been training since I was 7.” He hummed at small dark haired girl, “Are you American? You sound bit like cowboys from movie.” He had almost completely forget about the smaller child he held in the air. After he heard the tiner girl Wish to fight the bully child. He turned and smiled between the two, “See, this is best way to start a fight. She tells you that she beat you with fists.” 

Then the American girl speak of “consequences”. He nodded the pair of girls, “I agree, no reason to fight.” He turn to held bully’ s eyes. “He will remember, Ivan is consequence and pushing is wrong” Ivan looked pleased with himself after that. He bet is sounded just like his father. So cool.

Pleasance looked at the other girl with wide eyed surprise, and maybe a little awe. ”I hadn’t thought of that.” Then the boy spoke and she was distracted. She got close and poked the kid that had shoved her in the back of the head. ”Yeah exactly! You have to face people head on and show them what you’ve got.” 

Unless it was a long term thing. Then being sneaky would actually have an advantage.  However, sneaking up on someone to do something when it had no gain wasn’t something she could support.  ”If you’re going to be hitting people in the back, it should be for a reason.”

She smiled as they reached the conclusion that they didn’t need to fight. Ivan seemed like an interesting guy, as did the other girl, far more intriguing then the one who had pushed her, though she didn’t know her name yet.  ”Let ‘em go. I think this guy learned their lesson.” She tugged at the student’s shirt to try and pull them out of his grasp. 

She grinned widely,  ”I’m Pleasance! And you’re Ivan right?” She looked up at the other girl, standing at the top of the hill.  ”What’s your name?”

Jane offered Ivan a smile as he compared her to American cowboys.

“Yes, I am American. From Texas, which is where cowboys get their accents, so you're right on the mark,” she explained. “I have a great deal of training in Aikido.”

Jane wondered if she could start a sparring match with Ivan simply by informing him that she was going to throw him. She wasn’t sure she would even be able to. Judo’s throws were more aggressive while Aikido was more reactive.

Jane felt drawn to Ivan in some unfamiliar way. She would like very much to be his friend, but was unsure how to do that or what friendship meant outside of how people could be useful to one another. Did it mean more frequent interaction? Jane would like that.

The energetic girl’s nonverbal response to her earlier statement, on the other hand, made her feel a bit uncomfortable and the wooden, polite smile fell from her face immediately. It suggested that the girl saw something in Jane that she wished to see in herself, and that was not something Jane wanted.

There was nothing in Jane but empty observation, obedience, and the desire to become an Auror in vengeance for her mother. This girl was full of fire and happiness, things that Jane could not understand nor reach. The loss of these for emptiness was…undesirable.

Perhaps if Jane remained near she could prevent this loss.

Jane’s intense, flat stare at the energetic girl had gone on too long, as the Texan realized the girl had introduced herself and asked a question she had neglected to respond to. Speak when spoken to, her father reminded.

She changed her face to present a warm smile and approached the girl, extending a hand in greeting.

“My name is Jane. It is a pleasure, Pleasance,” she drawled.

Edited by Jane Wayne

Ivan dropped the poor bully after the curtly girls pulled them. They had learned lesson. Of course, he had. Ivan and his new friend were there! After the bully ran from the him, he almost completely forget about them. He turn to the new girls. Ivan was smiling ear to ear, well, it felt like that. Ivan had never really had many friends, his large family was all he ever had. Mother and Father very rarely let Ivan out of the house. But he loved when they did. He had to beg to let him go to this. 

First, he scanned the cowboy “Is new to met you Cowboy Jane. Ak....alkeybo. I have not heard of it. Must be American.” He nodded surely, it had to be that. Had to be the way the cowboys fought in the movies, Mother hated him watching them, but lucky his father like them and believed they would teach Ivan something. Almost all Ivan knew of the normal world was in movies. Ivan knew parts were fake and parts of them were real, but explained which was which.

Then he he turned his massive smile to Pleasance. “Yeah, is Ivan. You are full of happy, I like.” He said In his heavy northern accent. In an odd way, he felt connected to the girls, perhaps I was cause they were the first to talk to Ivan.  “I have decided, we three will be firends.” For Ivan it was that easy.